Running Bear's October 2019 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Boris- If you have to make the decision, make it soon so you will be mobile for the Holidays. Also, you will feel better after the surgery is scheduled.
Make plans to avoid steps as much as possible for the first few weeks.
I;m sure you will get plenty of advise. Remember mine is worth what you paid for it.
Garry- I love the '61 Chevy in that scene and the leaning parking meter. Birmingham has a 6 lane overpass crossing 12 tracks in the downtown area. All the parking meters are 40 years old and lean in all directions; a straight one is the exception. You need a couple dogs walking people.
Keep the pictures coming.
'

Louis ... please explain why you can’t keep your political opinions to yourself. Don’t expect others to agree with you.

Let me ask you a favor though, before condemning what I say, ask yourself why it bothers you so much?

Better yet, no quid pro quo needed. I will gladly explain, I offered a response to innuendo, "Tit for Tat", not to be confused with quid pro quo.

Would you please explain why you single out my responses and ignored the others? Is it because I offered a dissenting opinion you don't agree with? Can I therefore assume you would limit my free speech, but not others?

Furthermore, I have never expected anything from others. I should clarify, I do expect the worst from others, but with an open mind. Thankfully, more often than not, I am pleasantly surprised, but seldom, if ever, caught off guard.

[QUOTE="santafewillie, post: 464493, member: 3237"

Louis -

No conspiracy here, it was the Shokin thing and the video was included in a New York Times post which I have no desire to locate. I never said that he did anything wrong. He took credit for something that as you posted, "the entire western alliance was also backing the United States in asking for the removal of the prosecutor who prosecuted no one". As an aside, there is no such thing as an honest politician from any party, from any country. Honest politician is the most flagrant oxymoron there is.
[/QUOTE]

Forgive me Willie, I should have known to expect more from you. Thanks for clarifying that for me.

Call me Pollyanna, but I do believe there are honest politicians. I hope my level of cynicism never reaches the level of you and Boris. :) Maybe it's only because I am younger and I have not been exposed to as much as you both have. Or maybe you both spent too much time as upper-level managers in the corporate world. Other than leaving my ex-wife, leaving the corporate world to work for myself was the best thing I ever did for my own mental well being.

I'll defer to George Washington for my final "political" comment;

George Washington, letter to Benjamin Harrison, October 10, 1784 Against the insidious wiles of foreign influence, I conjure you to believe me fellow citizens the jealousy of a free people ought to be constantly awake; since history and experience prove that foreign influence is one of the most baneful foes of Republican Government.

To use Karl's phrase, I'll do my best not to "take the bait." and try to leave politics in the newspapers.

For the record; I neither endorse or condemn any of the candidates for the Democratic nomination. I'll wait for election day to make my choice.

Thank you for the kind words.
My daughter is a school teacher and a single mother. The two hour project went so well that it almost did not qualify as a "Floyd project".
My grandson got to learn a little about plumbing and I got to blame him when the sink stopper leaked. Took two minutes to run a little caulk around
the connection.
My oldest daughter is a school teacher. I think that is one of the most important jobs in the world. I was disappointed when my daughter changed her college major in the University of Maryland from economics to education. When I saw her with the kids I was very pleased. The world has enough millionaires, what we need is more good teachers!

My youngest daughter is a single Mom and she also has a son. I'm glad to see you fill the shoes as male role model. You are not only a good dad, you are a good grandfather as well. I know first hand what a blessing it is to spend time with our grandsons.

God be with you my friend!

A quick good morning. Having an early breakfast so we can hit the road. It is roughly 815 miles back to the house and I think we'll try to get home tonight. We will lose an hour with the time change but with good weather it should be no problem. All but one car was sold with the last one going on the block today. a 1960 Chevy Impala.

Overall, I am quite satisfied with the results. I had nothing exotic or highly restored and was suprised that they were getting higher prices than late model Mercedes Benz and other high dollar cars. Almost bid on a few, but between there being no merceded dealers for hundreds of miles and the evil eye I was getting from the wife I passed.

I'll have to check the posts when I get home. I am sure that I am either missing or not being able to appreciated the photos on the small phone screen.

Boggity, boggity boggity.

Later
Chet, I'm glad to hear you did so well at the Auction.

I enjoy watching the Mecum Auctions on TV, it must be a great experience to see a classic car auction in person. I'm amazed at the high prices and even more astounded by some of the "steals" I see. I dream of having a late 60s-early 70s 2-door convertible Cadillac. I don't know what I would do with it, I just want one!

Funny you should mention Mercedes Benz, I was thinking of trading in my Chevy City Express for a new one, but Chevy discontinued it. Now I have had my eyes on the Mercedes mini-cargo van, the Metris. I'll probably wait until next year, but if I made the purchase now it would be the Mercedes. I'm hoping Chevy comes out with another mini-cargo van. My cousin is the office manager for Koon's Chevy and they also own a Mercedes dealer. Family first in my book.

I hate to part with mine, but time and mileage take their toll. It's been my experience that 5 years is the best time to replace commercial vehicles. I have an 8 year bumper to bumper warranty, but I don't like down time and towing bills. I never expected to be working for another 5 years, but now that I can I don't want to stop, I love working!

My 2015 Chevy City Express is a simple, minimal technology, 25-26mpg super star! I have not had any real problems. Other than more flat tires than I ever seen on any one vehicle. It has been so bad I carry a tire repair kit and mini-compressor, but luckily I have always made it home to make repairs.

I've decided on a set of Michelin Agilis® CrossClimate® tires https://www.michelinman.com/all-weather-tires/agilis-crossclimate.html I have to call the wholesaler to if they can beat Amazon's and Walmart's price. I should try Costco as well. I'm not really looking forward to changing four 15" tires by hand, but I hate waiting and trusting somebody else to touch my vehicle! I have to say the last set of tires I bought was from Costco and they were pretty quick and had no problems putting them on.

Good Morning Everybody!

It's 70 with 78% humidity under cloudy skies in southeast Baltimore.

I was busy with work these last few days, but happy with the check I picked up :)

Now it's time to get ready to take my grandson to school, what a blessing!

Have a great day Everybody!

Chet, I'm glad to hear you did so well at the Auction.

I enjoy watching the Mecum Auctions on TV, it must be a great experience to see a classic car auction in person. I'm amazed at the high prices and even more astounded by some of the "steals" I see. I dream of having a late 60s-early 70s 2-door convertible Cadillac. I don't know what I would do with it, I just want one!

Funny you should mention Mercedes Benz, I was thinking of trading in my Chevy City Express for a new one, but Chevy discontinued it. Now I have had my eyes on the Mercedes mini-cargo van, the Metris. I'll probably wait until next year, but if I made the purchase now it would be the Mercedes. I'm hoping Chevy comes out with another mini-cargo van. My cousin is the office manager for Koon's Chevy and they also own a Mercedes dealer. Family first in my book.

I hate to part with mine, but time and mileage take their toll. It's been my experience that 5 years is the best time to replace commercial vehicles. I have an 8 year bumper to bumper warranty, but I don't like down time and towing bills. I never expected to be working for another 5 years, but now that I can I don't want to stop, I love working!

My 2015 Chevy City Express is a simple, minimal technology, 25-26mpg super star! I have not had any real problems. Other than more flat tires than I ever seen on any one vehicle. It has been so bad I carry a tire repair kit and mini-compressor, but luckily I have always made it home to make repairs.

I've decided on a set of Michelin Agilis® CrossClimate® tires https://www.michelinman.com/all-weather-tires/agilis-crossclimate.html I have to call the wholesaler to if they can beat Amazon's and Walmart's price. I should try Costco as well. I'm not really looking forward to changing four 15" tires by hand, but I hate waiting and trusting somebody else to touch my vehicle! I have to say the last set of tires I bought was from Costco and they were pretty quick and had no problems putting them on.
Louis, the van is still made, just Chevy no longer applies their bow tie to it:
https://www.nissanusa.com/vehicles/commercial/nv200-compact-cargo.html

DIABETES!! Well, I mentioned I had my annual "wellness visit" last week. The bloodwork results came in the mail last night. Everything fine except one stinking area: blood sugar. It's been a bit over the recommended range for years, but this time it spiked big time. I notice Mike and Louis and GreatDivide have been posting about Type 2 and blood sugar levels and meds and so forth - I guess I'll be joining you in that club - Doc wants me to get something started right away. MOH and I don't drink sodas, don't have lots of sweets, eat organic as much as possible, etc., etc., etc. So don't know what more to do nutritionally. It IS partly hereditary (my mom had it, one cousin has it). Got to bring it under control somehow. Will keep you posted.

Johnny , welcome to the club! I've been on meds for that over 10 years now, and even though I try to walk that narrow path I do slip from time to time. I can stay away from most sweets, but carbs (complex sugars) are my downfall. Now I have a good selection of diabetic cook books, and have found other ways to keep my belly happy!

Good Morning All. 56° and mostly clear. Fall is not truly here yet, just a teaser. The rain that was forecast for sundown yesterday, arrived right on schedule at 4:30, maybe that's sundown for someone else. Barely .20" fell, didn't even wash the cars. I'll have to look later for any fallen tree limbs since there were some pretty stiff winds overnight. This cool front came in with a bang. By the way, it came from Johnny's neck of the woods, so I cannot blame Chet!
Headed out early today for an 8:00 am dental appointment, cavity work. It's scheduled to be the last major dental work that I will have done, for now. Let's see now, 8 implants, 9 crowns and 7 originals...he'll eventually recommend more crowns when his kids get to college. Even with only 7 originals, I still get charged full price for cleaning!:confused:
No breakfast today Francine, I'll just take a tall glass of OJ. Trains and health today.

Thanks for the likes and comments regarding the weathered hoppers yesterday; Lee, Sherrel, Tom, Z, Chad, Justin, Garry, Jerome. I'll get back to the rest in a couple of days.

Out in the train shed yesterday afternoon, I took a side trip. After getting in the mood by building those two covered hopper kits and looking at the still blank areas in my project area between Maultown and Vernon, I decided to make a background structure to fit between the casket manufacturer and mattress company. It will not be rail served, just a background structure. I chose to use some Walther's modular walls, despite my distaste for them, but I have quite a few kits and I need a variety of buildings. I am using walls with large rectangular metal windows.
10-07-19 004.JPG

10-07-19 005.JPG

One issue is that Walther's didn't make enough kits with wall columns to match the number of wall kits, so I am having to fabricate wall columns out of blank walls. A particularly tough job using a single edge razor blade and a flat file. My completed ones are in the upper photo in the lower left.
10-07-19 003.JPG

As I have pointed out before, Walther's didn't do a good job of matching up components, hence the two different shades of plastic in the parts. Note the difference below.
10-07-19 006.JPG

Some wall columns and corner wall columns do not match, thus necessitating painting the structure later, which isn't necessarily a bad thing.

Beady - Hell, I have two good knees and I still mostly take steps one at a time!:cool:
Joe - Regarding the knee and potential replacement surgery. Stairs will be a killer immediately after the replacement surgery if that's the chosen option. After five weeks my wife was able to climb the seven steps to the swimming pool deck, slowly and using the rail and cane. She probably didn't need the cane but it acted as her "comfort" device for the first few days. She stopped going to the physical therapy center after 6 1/2 weeks per the doctors recommendation, but kept up with the home rehab. She didn't feel like she made any progress in the last two weeks or so, but suddenly Friday she felt like a new person. Today marks ten weeks. Currently the other knee is giving more problems. They both should have been replaced ten years ago.
My vote doesn't count or matter any way, so it is what it is.
For all intents and purposes, mine doesn't count either. I am in TX-13 which President Trump carried by 80% in 2016. He carried my precinct at 97%. So my vote either way would not have really mattered. He didn't need it and it wouldn't have helped HRC either. I still vote however. By the way, our congressional district is larger in area than thirteen states; and it is only the second largest in Texas.
Garry - Those were nice pictures of the NJT units. I am not a commuter modeler or railfan, but they did look good. I'll take you up on your offer later.
Lee - I also have a large bag of Gulf Shores sand, but I haven't used it yet.
Louis -[Quiet sounds]
Terry - Great post regarding your wife. Mine won't even come near the train shed, even when her knees weren't such a problem.

Everybody have a great Monday. Hopefully I survive the dentist drill.

Be careful with Walmart and wholesale club tires Louis. The reason they have such great prices is that they are selling their "spec" tires. Call a Michelin dealer, get a price and a manufacturers part number. Now call Walmart (or Sam's ,Costco,BJ's or your Aunt Philomena) and get the same info. More than often, the part numbers wont match. Why? Because the tires are not the same. Usually it's the same tire with lighter construction or less tread than the original.
Just make sure you are comparing apples to apples, not apples to lemons.

Johnny, a short walk after eating works for me and I never eat before going to bed. I hope you can keep us posted, we are pulling for you!

Sugar is sneaky, our bodies turn everything we eat to sugar, somethings are quickly converted, ripe fruits, rice, potatoes, white bread. Try to limit those and eat more complex carbohydrates, like whole grains.

Hey, Louis - Yeah, I've already cut back on potatoes, bread, and rice - some of my favorite things to eat!!! And just in time to celebrate my wife's birthday with a big cake and icing, wouldn't you know it :D

Good Morning everyone. Cool 50 degrees in the Ozark Foothills. Going to start out with some coffee then some Oatmeal then finish up that Frisco Reefer.

Johnny. Have fun in Branson my wife and the girls have been going the since we’ve been married which the 25th of this month 23 years.

Lee - You're over near Farmington, huh? Went there to visit a friend many years ago - haven't been back that way in a while. Nice area.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back