Running Bear’s August 2019 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Boris: There is such a demand for the Fanta made with real sugar that in Central Wisconsin the local bar stocks it in their coolers for the regular customers.

Greg

For those asking, my wife is doing well now a week after the knee replacement. Went to the second therapy session yesterday and they were complimentary. She has been doing twice daily workouts at home since the day after returning home. Swelling has diminished to the point that we're only using ten pounds of ice a day in the ice water recirculator, down from twenty pounds a day initially. Sleep cycle is back to normal. I did have to get her an anti-nausea prescription yesterday, but we can't really connect that to anything from the surgery unless it's the pain medications. She has backed off them a bit to the dismay of the nurse at the doctor's office who apparently believes that one should be a zombie for 2-3 weeks after surgery. She was encouraged yesterday by a gentleman of the same age at the therapy center who had the same surgery/doctor and quit using the walker after 2 1/2 weeks. He also skipped the cane part and seems to be walking just fine six weeks later.

This is encouraging news, Willie. Medications cause nausea, and other unpleasantness. My wife has been taking Methotrexate for five years, one dose Friday evening, a second on Saturday morning. She becomes nauseated around mid day Sunday, and has a debilitating headache most of Monday. After that, she is fine until the cycle repeats.

Johnny: nice scene.

Willie: Nice scene.

MY wife turns 64 today. It is her birthday "month". She was kind of a spoiled child and some of that carries over. Fortunately, she has lots of girlfriends to celebrate with. One more year and she gets medicare. That is my earliest threshold for retirement, won't have to work for her insurance anymore.

Dave: Sounds like a retirement plan. Wish your wife a Happy Birthday! Health Insurance premiums are budget busters.

Bright Wednesday Morning in Sapporo and 77F (but humid)

Chad - I am loving your pic. Are there any "homeless" living near the tracks? (as there are in the LA area)

While Japan certainly has "homeless" folks, I don't think they live near any tracks. I have not seen anyone that looks like "homeless" near tracks or stations. I think (personal opinion) that the Japanese police takes a dim view of such things.

Here is a shot from the Sapporo Subway. It runs on road wheels with a center rail to guide and act as ground and the power rail is against the far wall.

IMG_1870.jpg

Boris: There is such a demand for the Fanta made with real sugar that in Central Wisconsin the local bar stocks it in their coolers for the regular customers.

In Utah we have Mexican bottled Coke, Fanta, and Sprite at Walmart and many other grocery stores. Plus a line of Mexican brand sodas. All with real sugar.

Oh, in baseball news; Jonathan Villar of the Orioles hit for the cycle last night. I can't for the life of me remember the last Oriole to do that. It must be nearly 10 years. As a team the Orioles did not fair so well, damn Yankees!

Cool! but how 'bout dem Amazins? Only two out of a wild card spot.

Boris

About the only time I drink soda of ay kind is when I eat at a "Fast Food'joint, like Wendys or Mickey Ds. I do not care for artificial sweeteners so I would definitely seek out soft drinks made with real sugar, if so inclined. I see I'm not alone.

Have not made much progress on the model railroad the last couple of days. tomorrow looks like a good day without any other plans.

Boris

Evening all,

Nothing like OT on a well, now stormy evening in Doo-Dah. ACM (Assistant City Manager) needs to have training in our EOC (Emergency Operations Center) and guess who's in charge of the computer equipment there. At least it isn't during a real emergency. Outgoing Fire Chief powered everything down at some point in the past year and the systems never updated, so I've been working on it since 8:05 this morning. The work isn't hard, just time consuming when Windows 10 doesn't want to update. Also good that he let us know at least a day in advance.

Hi Shop Dwellers, it's 77*F with T-storms forming all around us in central MD.

Dave - I'm in a similar situation, retirement-wise: I turn 65 in September, but my wife is 4 years younger than me so I'm waiting until she turns 65 before I retire. Don't want to pay those financially-crippling med insurance premiums. I've been getting inundated with all these letters from unknown insurance companies urging me to "...sign-up with us immediately, before the open enrollment period expires!" Nope...not until I meet with a Medicare counselor at the local SSA branch office on August 22, to hopefully find out which ones are real versus snake-oil. Current plan is to continue with my employer's Cigna policy for retirees which they'll partially subsidize.

Patrick, your post brings back memories of when I was the DBA for my department up until 2011. I managed a PROGRESS database server on a Solaris 9 platform, and I found myself working odd hours and weekends when going live with an upgrade. Took a lot of careful planning - especially to make the home-grown apps compatible with the new database engine - but I enjoyed it! The corporate IT people decided they could do a better job, so they did a hostile takeover of my work. Now I'm what might be called a "data jockey" - except I spin-up SQL-based report apps instead of Top 40 songs!:p
... - Guess I have not paid notice before - I've not seen a non-dynamic SD-40 - I kind of like it!
. . .
Sherrell - I'm fond of those SD38-2's myself, here's one I did back when I was still modeling CSX:

SD38-2_CSXTmodel.jpg

CSX used these engines mainly to switch hump yards, they usually worked in pairs. Never used in main line service, they never even bothered to put ditch lights on them. This one was gonna be my designated yard hog, but soon I went back to modeling B&O and now an SD9 handles all my yard work.

I had an interesting experience today while playing around with the DecoderPro virtual throttle. I was running an Atlas "gold" GP40 with a Loksound decoder in it. I noticed a button on the v-throttle labeled "Notch Up", so I went ahead and gave it one click. Sure enough, the prime mover sound on the parked loco notched up...and up...and up...and UP, all the way to notch #8. I clicked the "Notch Down" button a few times - no effect. Shutting down the loco and restarting it didn't do any good either.

I wound up doing some programming-on-the-main, and - typical of ESU Select-series decoders - many of the settings only had generic labels on them. All the function mappings were blank. Eventually I saw a checkbox labeled Lock Engine Speed When Under Load that was "on"; I un-checked it, and that seemed to do the trick; the motor sound was back in sync with the throttle speed. NOTE TO SELF: Beware of unfamiliar buttons on v-throttles, especially when they involve Loksound decoders!

Last edited:
Ray, probably a reason you had trouble selling the Proto GP38-2 was some nitpickers got after it pretty severely over some discrepancies. There was a time not long ago you couldn’t sell a new one for $50. They seem to still be wildly unpopular, though asking prices have risen.
This was another very early in my re-awakening, purchase, and for $50AU too. Quite a while before I became aware of their gear issue. The seller (buy & sell) had a lot of other Proto F7's he was trying to clear. It was more likely the road that buyers found uninteresting, I haven't seen anyone with another, except in the UP heritage ones.

RAY - Guess I have not paid notice before - I've not seen a non-dynamic SD-40 - I kind of like it!
Your comment made me go and look at that CNW model I have, and of course being a GP, lacks the longer decks front and rear of the SD's, so I think what I'll do with it is just give it a silent DCC decoder and try again at my club's next sale day in October. Give it a run on the layout in the meantime to check it out. Here's a pic of the SD38AC #381. Seems with all of the "38's", all they've done is patch them over the previous logo
1565159742884.png

Cool! but how 'bout dem Amazins? Only two out of a wild card spot.

Boris

Most "experts" were critical of the Mets for not being a seller at the trade deadline. I always enjoy seeing the "experts" have to eat their words,

Baseball news; Damn Yankees!

Good morning Everybody!

After doing my one and only delivery yesterday I realized I was not feeling so good on the way home. So I spent most of the day on the couch alternating between sleep and watching TV, mostly sleeping.

It's not unusual for me not to notice I'm not feeling so good in the morning. My joint pain is at it's worst in the morning and can drown out everything else.

I hope to comeback, for now my beagle Tucker is telling me he wants to go outside,

We had a powerful thunderstorm last night. Our power even went off for a few seconds. Just long enough so that I have to reboot all the computers and reset all the clocks. I think it was the first power outage we have had since we moved into this house in december of 2017. Another reason I love living in the city!

I was glad to see my old PC in my office rebooted. That was the first place I headed this morning. That old girl has served me well. I bought the refurbished slim line HP Pavillion s5-1204 from J&R Electronics in New York, I put it into a full size case with a more powerful power supply I had on hand. I also added a video card and maxed out the system ram, all for well under $500 in May of 2012. Later I upgraded it to windows 10 for free and it has served me well for over 7 years. I wish that all the money I have spent went so far.
1565173523076.png

J&R Electronics 33 Park Row, NY, NY
I never did make it to J&R in person, but I spent a lot of money with them over the years. They were great people to deal with and often their prices were unbeatable. Not to mention their fantastic inventory! The founders/owners were Mr. and Mrs. Friedman. I only spoke to Joe Friedman a few times, but everybody who worked for them always treated me with respect, they were all courteous and professional. They were a great asset to me when I was building, selling and servicing my own brand of computers. Even after I ended my computer business and my purchases dropped off they still treaded me like a big dog. They were pioneers in the mail order electronics business, but they never fully made the transition to the WWW. Their main store was only a block from the World Trade Center, they survived 911, but unfortunately they went out of business for good in 2014.

Sorry for the walk down memory lane, but what else does a half broken down old man have, not a lot. If I kept going on and on about my family and my beagles it would get old real quick.

Time for me to eat something, I'm thinking smoked turkey salad sandwich with tomato and onions, yeah!

I'll be back!

Now I am going to continue watching Laramie on Demand from the Starz Encore channel. I have seen the entire series several times and I have it on DVD, but It's good to see the America I grew up believing in. Truth, justice, self-sacrifice for the greater good and compassion for all. In short, morality, something in short supply these days.

Have a great day Everybody!

Chet, I thought you might get a kick out of this.
1565176810926.png

Good morning, sunny and 68. Got sent to the Bituminous plant early this morning only to find out they won't be loading out for another hour.

It is usually a pretty easy day, run 3 tests spread out over several hours then sit in the pickup and listen to the news and stuff.

Ken and Patrick, interesting to read your IT talk. I was a slow adapter but now pretty adept at all the necessary tasks for the workplace. I even have a few tricks the millenials don't know.

I bought my first computer in 1988 and threw it out the window of my house in 1996. Didn't buy my second one until 2019, however bought the iphone in 2017. For many years I let the library furnish all the necessary IT equip.

I have seen the Fanta soda for sail while travelling out west, not much around here. Always recognize it because of its similarity to my last name, Banta.

Greg, glad to hear you are in the train room. You must not be feeling too bad?

more later, Dave

Good morning. 76* ,hazy and humid. Will be a repeat of yesterday. Didn't get on as had three separate series of T/S come in. Have two full pages to go over and see what I've missed.
Hope it was a good day for all.
Prayers for all,
Phil

I THINK WILLIES INDIAN NAME SHOULD BE " RUNS WITH BEER "

Good morning everyone. 68 and mostly clear. We're in for a few days of rain, then the heat comes back with a vengeance - summer's still here!! I'll have a big cup of coffee, Flo, and some pancakes and sausages, please.

Ken - Nice weathering on that CSX loco.
Louis - Memory Lane is always a nice walk. I find myself doing that more and more ;)

In the train room I finished work on the DPM structure "Valley Farm Supply" - didn't put the "Deliveries" sign or "Customer Pick-Up" on it 'cause I didn't like the overall look. So added some crates and a couple of workers - one's sitting down on the job, evidently. Forgot to take a photo of the back, where there's another worker. Needs one final quick spray of DullCote. I'll try to do that all tonight. This is where it will be on the layout, with the main line running right behind it - just have to put in the parking area, a couple of bushes, and call it done.
FarmSupplyOnLayout1.jpgFarmSuppoyOnLayout2.jpg

Now I'll start work on a house structure, and then a few detail kits that have been sitting on the workbench for months: lumber stacks, crossing grades, bumpers, several fences, tractor, etc. Time to pay attention to those details now.

Have a good day everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back