Let's get LOADED!!!.....

74e13830.jpg

I have an idea in my head for a load, it will be sometime in the future but I think I'll still try it. I used to work at an Army Depot in upstate NY that is now closed. Part of the mission was IPE repair (industrial production equipment repair) huge lathes, milling machines and so on. They got a load in one time that was mind blowing. They brought in 3 huge drop forge presses on 9 flat cars. These things were so big and heavy that they didn't even bother to chain them down, they just welded them directly to the flat cars. Since I worked for the FD there we had fits for almost 2 weeks while they cut them off, they started so many small fires we just ended up standing by while they worked. That is a load I'd like to try soon just to see what I can come up with.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here is a load that I bought (originally was looking on Ebay for it) while I was on a vacation in NC a few weeks ago
IMG_0525.jpg

Here is another I just tossed together, I plan to make loads like this engine dynamic so I want to at least figure out a way to secure it while keeping the ability to use the engine(s) on my layout, so here it is!
SL733063.jpg

another load ive done, again with the intent to be "dynamic" and made to be interacted with (may make this more static tho)
SL732895.jpg

In Death Valley California there are places the desert floor looks just like your carpet. And the museums in the little towns and roadside stops have cool old steam tractors and mechanical junk laying around you can use for flat car loads. They used to have some cool antique luggage carts and big wooden trunks sitting on the platform of the train station in the old ghost town of rhyolite nevada......but someone "removed" them. (was not me)

Railfan
(removing the old west...
one piece at a time)

Made a new Flat car today & mounted a bullet train on it.

3 new loads for the layout.:D Except for the full size RR Spike the other items are out of Computers.

Another Scratchbuilt HD Flat. The load is an Aluminum Heat Sink out of a Printer. The fan that is on top use to be on one end. Scale 74ft. long. 3 axle Athearn passenger car Trucks w/truck mounted Kadee Couplers. #147 on 1 end & 148's on the other.:D

I have a question about disassembling a model. I just got a Norscot D9T in 1/87th scale, the picture is of a 1/50, and what I want to do is try to remove the blade and hydraulic cylinders to make two loads. I have a depressed center flat car for the tractor portion and will put the blades, arms and cylinders on another flat car. I only see two small screws on the bottom of the tractor but have not tried to take it apart yet. Has anyone tried or done this before that might guide me towards taking it apart without destroying it in the process.

Thanks

I took a Norscot loader apart by those screws, not sure about the dozer.
I'm looking at getting the same model (used to operate one) so I'll watch this thread!

I've taken apart a few of the Norscott models & taking out the screws on the bottom is what does the trick. The dozer or anything else usually seperates into 2 pcs. & then just slide the blade off of the cylinders.
If you BREAK it don't Blame Me.:D:);):rolleyes::eek:

I have a question about disassembling a model. I just got a Norscot D9T in 1/87th scale, the picture is of a 1/50, and what I want to do is try to remove the blade and hydraulic cylinders to make two loads. I have a depressed center flat car for the tractor portion and will put the blades, arms and cylinders on another flat car. I only see two small screws on the bottom of the tractor but have not tried to take it apart yet. Has anyone tried or done this before that might guide me towards taking it apart without destroying it in the process.

Thanks

I have 3 of these I am hoping to do the same with. This is how they look in prototype.
CAT_LOADS1.png

The tracks of the D9T just sit level with the outside edges of an 89' flat car, so the arms that support the blade would hang over the sides if not removed from their pivots. All of the pivots on these newer Norscot models are much nicer looking rivets than the older ones. It may be possible (I haven't tried yet, been too busy with other things) to prise them out (that's what I'm hoping). Other pivots may need the "spread" end of the rivet grinding off with a Dremel to free them. (I am also hoping) Have fun. (maybe I'll wait to see what you find first) :D

Thanks for the info guys. I'll try not to break it in to many pieces.

Toot, thats just the type load I'm going for but I have the depressed center flat car for the tractor and it fits just like you said on the very outer edge. I have another regular flat car for the blade, arms and cylinders to be strapped down on. I can't run the 89' cars because of tight turns I have to stay 57' or below. I'll let ya'll know how it works getting the rivets out too.

Thanks.

Back