Running Bear's Coffee Shop September 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good morning Everybody!

A bit under the weather with a cold, but all is well otherwise.

it's 69 and mostly cloudy here in southeast Baltimore. The weather report shows a chance of rain everyday for the next 7 days.

Have a great day Everybody!

Johnny, it just goes to show you, it's always something. I wish you well with your faucet project.

I just recently picked up one of these.
1536669036863.png

Good morning. Been MIA for a few days. 37 degrees to start off the day with a high possibly getting into the low 70's. Summer is over. We have had some of our trees have their leaves turn yellow and drop to the ground.

Willie - Happy Anniversary.

Ken - Beautiful job on that Alco switcher. Thumb up.gif Nice job.

Louis
- Nice photos of the GG1's.

Toot - I have heard that those iphone speakers are excellent for sound in locomotives.

Karl - Get well soon.

Johnny
- Like the photo. Nice work.

Here's a rail picture for today.

d4f5038202f1efd8719009cd0811211e.jpg

Later

Good morning, everybody.....

Our 9/11/2001 memories include some train travel to return home from being stranded in Halifax, NS. We traveled via American Airlines from Nashville on 9/9/2001. We spent 9/11 watching the horrors on TV in our hotel room. About 50 trans-Atlantic flights were diverted to Halifax, and the airport became a big parking lot of airliners full of stranded passengers.

I recall the Canadians being very gracious hosts to thousands of stranded people, and I will always praise Canadians for that. We needed to find a way home. Renting a car one-way was going to cost us about $3000, and we decided not to do that. We considered joining up with some people who were going to charter a bus to Chicago. I checked train schedules and fares and decided to wait until space was available on Via Rail.

We departed Halifax on Via's Ocean a few days later. We arrived in Montreal about 20 hours later on a train with about 20 Budd passenger cars. Next, we road a Via train to Toronto where we stayed in a hotel for two nights. We road Amtrak's International to Flint, MI. There was a long delay at the border. All passengers were required to get off the train in Sarnia to ride a bus to Port Huron to get back on the train. The busses were delayed with a long line of traffic passing through Customs and Immigration. We departed Port Huron several hours late. In Flint, we rented a car to drive one way to Nashville. We drove our car home from there.

Below is a photo I took from the Budd dome observation car. We met the eastbound Ocean while still in Nova Scotia.

35628101451_df9fe47c79_b.jpg

Ken .... I like the Alco switcher ... Thmbs up !

Willie .... I see the artist spelled it as "Herby" instead of "Herbie" ..... Herby showed up on boxcars all over the country. Most commonly, they were on Missouri pacific boxcars, and possibly the artist was a MoPac employee. ... Evidently, Herby was a Mexican taking a siesta under a palm tree.

44617192831_4cf60a6a95_b.jpg

Toot - I have heard that those iphone speakers are excellent for sound in locomotives.

I have a pair of those particular ones installed in the two Athearn SD40's, sitting on top of the weight extension over the rear truck, which is hollowed out on the sound equipped versions for the speakers supplied by Athearn, and solid on the non-sound ones. They could have extended the height of those weights, but left just enough space to get these in. The one I broke the contacts off (the P2K SD45) didn't have that space available and I was trying to get it in above the decoder.. I have an iP6s one in the P2K Alco PA, which works very well too, but is too wide for the narrow hood GP & SD locos.

Ken .... I like the Alco switcher ... Thmbs up !

Willie .... I see the artist spelled it as "Herby" instead of "Herbie" ..... Herby showed up on boxcars all over the country. Most commonly, they were on Missouri pacific boxcars, and possibly the artist was a MoPac employee. ... Evidently, Herby was a Mexican taking a siesta under a palm tree.

44617192831_4cf60a6a95_b.jpg
Herbie was part of MoPac's safety program.
Herbie, was not a name, but an acronym. It stood for "Help Every Railroader Become Injury Exempt".

Hiya gang,
Home at last not only did I have to deal with the lung infection, but it also came to rest in my right leg as cellulitis. Its painful to walk, at least the 1st 20 steps or so, but it wont stop me. I made it through the grocery store today, and down the basement (and more importantly) up from the basement.
Talked to my Boss today, and I let him know I expect to be in tomorrow, even if I'm walking with a cane! Any wise ass remarks and it turns into a Louisville slugger! :eek:
Toot I've done a few installs with the iphone speakers. They are ok I guess, but really lack the bass response of a larger speaker. I've yet to find any sound decoder that matches my factory equipped Atlas SD-24s. 2 speakers, mounted in a triangle shaped mount over the rear truck,
MMIDSD24s.JPG

All 3 together are quite loud!

KenL, Don't you be worried about my strength and your op session. In fact, let me put my hat in for the Ford plant job and running that sweet lil switcher! I'd get out of my deathbed for that.

Terry, Glad to hear the Mrs. is feeling better, and can stick to the regimine . I'd love to see you two tell Mr. Murphy to take a hike for good!

Garry. Wow what a journey just to get home! My work location at the time was on the approach to BWI . It was so weird to have silence and not a plane to be seen after 9/11. Even stranger still was the small municipal airport where I live hosting a quartet of F-16s for a while .

Chet, Louis, Ken, Terry, Garry and anyone else I might have missed. Thanks for the "Get Well" wishes!

Toot I've done a few installs with the iphone speakers. They are ok I guess, but really lack the bass response of a larger speaker. I've yet to find any sound decoder that matches my factory equipped Atlas SD-24s. 2 speakers, mounted in a triangle shaped mount over the rear truck,

I agree with you, that they don't produce great Bass response, especially the one I've got in the PA, compared to the Railmaster Hobbies DHB28's I've got in the PB units behind it. This came about, because the Decoders I used in all of them at first, were Tsunami's made for Bowser locos with LED resistor connections built in. I got conned on the one that went into the A unit, claimed as being new, when it wasn't and not producing good volume, so I got a TSU-1000 (wrapped) to replace it. I had with all of the locos, installed the speakers in the space where the original, large, lighting board sits at the back (more than ample space for it), and the decoders up the front, where I did have to remove material to get them in, more in he PA, because of the nose's length (a photo would be worth a 1000 words, I know) It was more convenient to the Decoder with it's capacitor back there, than the big speaker, hence the iP6s up the front.

The DHB28's certainly accentuate the beat of the Alco sound (too much actually) over the iP6s. With the '40's, the difference in all around sound improvement is like night and day, over the tinny tiny speakers provided. I got complaints about them, especially if I left them idling. They were, as we say here "shockers".

Good morning. It's cloudy and 70.
I think today is going to be "take your travel trailer to work day". Our property, as well as the others in the neighborhood, is covered with very old trees. Those trees have been coming down in bad weather lately, and we can't afford $80k to go out and buy a replacement if it gets squashed by a 200 year old poplar tree.

Good Morning Everyone. Cloudy and 70° here. Light drizzle since at least 2:30 that doesn't show up on the radar; .1" in the gauge since sunset. Forecast is for more of the same for five more days, not like the East Coast though. This crappy weather is postponing the inevitable yard mowing. It's time again and will only get harder. I'm getting tired of indoor chores that my wife has come up with. I'll spend more time today in the train shed while she goes to the library for a study session/exam on the new tax laws. I made a trip to the local recycle center yesterday and earned a little money. 47# of aluminum cans and another 30# of aluminum window parts from some of the windows that I replaced a few years ago. A cool $33.20 for the train fund. The windows require disassembly and removal of all glass, steel screws and plastic parts before they accept them; but that aluminum pays 20% better than cans though.
Out in the train shed later on, I did some more assembly work on chain-link fencing. Added some more posts and started gluing the top rail on. But! I mostly ran trains just to get things moving around. Switched out a neglected bakery, slaughterhouse and brewery in my largest town of Ft. Wish. The slaughterhouse only has outbound reefers, all animals come in by truck. The bakery has inbound flour, sugar and corn oil, with outbound shipments of packaged baked goods; bread is shipped out by truck. The brewery/bottler has incoming mash and outbound bottled/canned product and kegs.

Louis - That's a cute little trolley. Take care of that cold before it gets worse. Are you expecting any hurricane related weather there in Baltimore?
Chet - Thank you.
Garry - I know that you have posted your 9/11 adventure before but I have to admire your will and the graciousness of the Canadians every time that I read it.
Terry - Keep us updated on the hurricane conditions in your area if you can. You and your wife continue to be in my thoughts and prayers every day. "Herbie" - Yes, that's it. There was even a boxcar from Athearn (and I think a real one from MP) with the acronym and slogan on it. Thanks for jarring my memory.
Justin - I know that you're out there lurking. What's up?
Greg - Here's a few signs that I did with the method that I described last week to get the effect of signs painted on structure walls. Hmmmh! The picture of Ace/Atlas shows some imperfections that I need to fix.
09-11-18 009.JPG

09-11-18 004.JPG

09-11-18 001.JPG

09-11-18 006.JPG

Everybody have a great day, and all of you East Coasters, be safe.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back