Railroad Term

What is an interchange track? I have seen some smaller (and larger) layouts that have these. Most of the time it is a single track leading to the edge of the layout so I an confused on what its function is.

What is an interchange track? I have seen some smaller (and larger) layouts that have these. Most of the time it is a single track leading to the edge of the layout so I an confused on what its function is.

In Brewster, NY you had two tracks running in parallel the New York Central and New Haven railroads. On the Brewster side you put cars destine for the New Heaven on I guess you would call it the interchange track although not really because it was a NYC yard. The car's final destination were some where on the New Haven. I guess if you had two or more different railroads with acess to the same yard that would be a true interchange track used by both. Each dropping off cars for the other railraod.

NYC_George

An interchange track is the "ultimate industry." It's a track, or small yard, that allows two railroads to exchange cars. The reasons it leads to the edge of the layout on most layouts is because they don't want to model the entire other railroad...

Back