Running Bear's Coffee Shop LXVI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good Morning Model Railroaders.....Welcome to August! This is supposed to be the first day of triple digit temperatures here on the western periphery of the Great Basin. 94, 95, 99, 100, 101, up in those temps, it all feels the same, HOT!! (Dave), On the fire front, the Modoc July Complex fire has now exceeded 44 thousand acres, closing in on 45 thousand. About 40 percent contained with a little over 1400 people on site. The winds have shifted again, back to the predominately easterly direction.
Keep cool.
Stay safe from the smoke
Thanks fella's I plan too....
Eric...yup, can see what your doing, looks good,
Willie..... That is some bunch of green you have too corral there,..
Everybody have a great day.....till next time....

JOHNNY- Be it ever so mortgaged,there is no place like home.

KEN- Hope the wind is at your back.

GARRY- Thanks for the notice re INCH. Passing the sad news was not a problem. He is a good man.
Your modeling is TOPS!
Temp didn't break 90 today. T/S were N E and S W Didn't get a drop.
Prayers for all,
PHIL

Phil - You got that right!!

Good morning all - I'm ba-a-a-a-a-ck!! 72 and partly cloudy here in SW MO, heading for low 80's. It's cooled down considerably over the last week or so. Had 1 1/2 inches of rain in the gauge when we got back from vacation, so that helped save our garden. Still producing tomatoes, squash, cucumber, and peppers.

Visited Moody Gardens in Galveston while away - went to the Rainforest Pyramid this time (went to the Aquarium last year). Very nice experience - I'd recommend either one for those of you who are interested in these kinds of things. Spent time with family and friends in East Texas. Did some antiquing, which is one of our favorite things to do.

By the way, that reminds me - - this is related to something some of us were discussing on this forum a few weeks ago, so sorry to bring it up again - but while antique shopping I found these (see photos) at an antique shop in Lumberton, Texas - any of you remember them?

Erector Set 1.jpgErector Set 2.jpg

Seriously thought about buying one, but at a minimum of $245 per kit (one was asking over $300) I decided to pass - rather spend that money on the layout!!

Ran trains last night. Spray painted some parts and letting them dry until tonight. Mostly working on the 18-inch bridge and the Walthers Brook Hill Dairy Farm building - if any of you have put that dairy kit together, you know it has over 50 doors and windows! Talk about developing patience!!

Got to run - back to work today :(

Have a good day everyone.

Good Morning All. 74° and mostly cloudy, chance of light rain late today. Enjoyed a couple of visits to the pool yesterday, water temperature has dropped to 84° due to the cooler weather that we are having. Downside is that it may cool off too much, necessitating a shutdown around Labor Day this year. Last year we made it to the first week in October before the water went below 80°.
Out in the train shed, I reconfigured an industrial siding to accommodate an additional industry that I already had built. Tidied up and added details to that industry. It is an old Magnuson model resin kit from the 60's named "V. F. Transfer Service" or something similar. Walther's who bought Magnuson, never re-issued it. I'll get pictures later. I bought it unopened about ten years ago, still remember the smell of the mold-release agent when I first opened the box. Anyone else here that has ever assembled one of their structures knows what I am talking about. I have a few other models made by them as well. Had their quirks, but were pretty nicely detailed structures. Many of the Walther's kits made today are really the old Magnuson line, upgraded to styrene.

Eric - Many Athearn six-axle locomotives will also run on 18" curves, they just look out of place. They may need the longer Kadee coupler shanks on the rear to reduce derailing of the following cars (if they derail at all). Intermodals - not. Unless you do surgery like Bruce (New Guy) did on his units. By the way, I never saw the pictures in post #884, got the one in post #886 though.
Beady - Wishing you the best in dealing with the MIL. Sounds like some real progress on the basement, finally. Life gets in the way sometimes. Regarding the Woodland Scenics lighting. Many who use that product are happy with it, but I think that for most, it is too costly when it can be done for far less the old-fashioned way. It hasn't been selling too well.
Greg - I try to remember to label wiring when I install it, for easier follow-up later. Not always successful though so I understand where you are at!
Johnny - Welcome back from vacation. Yeah! Walthers likes to put lots of windows in their structures. It's a toss up as to whether I like that more or less than painting the molded in windows on DPM structures. Overall, I just like assembling structures though. I do remember that Erector set. But my Dad commandeered the set that my brother and I received and made bridges and other stuff for his Lionel layout! Another brother of mine still uses those bridges with his inherited train collection. He got the Lionel because he had already started collecting it while my other brother and I went for HO.

Everybody have a great day.

Willie

Good morning all, we are starting out a cool 69 and headed for 88. I was able to both kill the bees (hornets to be exact) and get the nap in on Sunday. One bee left today, and he is now a dead at peace with his friends.

I finished out the depot yesterday and here is a teaser but you will have to go to my thread for the closeups:

IMG_1145.jpg

If any of you are unaware, I have been working on this structure for a few months now, it is a scratch build copy of the Northern Pacific depot in Wyoming, MN. It was built in 1890. In 1955 they took off the roof and turret and second floor . It was torn down some time later, possibly 1970's. The model was based on several photographs.

Good morning all, we are starting out a cool 69 and headed for 88. I was able to both kill the bees (hornets to be exact) and get the nap in on Sunday. One bee left today, and he is now a dead at peace with his friends.

I finished out the depot yesterday and here is a teaser but you will have to go to my thread for the closeups:

View attachment 62581

If any of you are unaware, I have been working on this structure for a few months now, it is a scratch build copy of the Northern Pacific depot in Wyoming, MN. It was built in 1890. In 1955 they took off the roof and turret and second floor . It was torn down some time later, possibly 1970's. The model was based on several photographs.

Really nice photo, Dave - looks very realistic. Will visit your thread for the other photos.

Willie - Had a great time in the "nation of East Texas." Most of my wife's family lives there, from Center to Livingston, and a good friend lives in Jasper and we always stay with him a few days. Like going to Galveston via the Bolivar ferry, but that's getting old now - it's a long drive.

Thought about you over there north of Dallas, but too far out of our way on this trip. Still, sometime in the future I'd like to stop by and see your layout.

Take care.

Good morning everybody.

Johnny .... I recall the Erector sets and had some as a kid.

Dave B ... I Like your photos and looks for your thread to see more. Where is it ? I would like to see more.

Phil .... Thanks for your comments. I don't think I still have Mike's email .

Eric ... In my opinion you can have just as much fun with an Athearn SW-1000 switcher as a big main line locomotive, and the switcher would fit your current layout nicely.

Everyone: Got a newbie-type question: I have two engines and even though my layout is relatively small, I can run them both at the same time, but I don't run DCC - both engines run off the same DC controller. One is an Athearn Genesis HO G22674 F3A and the other is a Broadway Limited Imports HO 4407 GE C30-7. When I turn that controller on, both engines get going. My problem is that the Athearn requires a higher setting on the controller before it gets going while the Broadway Ltd starts up earlier. Obviously, if I turn the control high enough to power the Athearn, the Broadway gets up to racecar speeds (and would eventually ram the slower train).

Here's the real newbie part: Is there a way to adjust one engine or the other so they both work at about the same control setting?

Thanks.

Hi Johnny-- I used to do that, if you have a couple long sidings, you can put the faster locomotive first and run the slower one off when the other one catches up!

Not sure how to change the speed, could try different locomotives

Well, I'm about out of roadbed. I have no ballast or grass turf.
So I'm about to put in another MBKlein order.
Anything else I need regarding the trains?
I sure don't need any more structures! In fact I may have over done it on those.
I forgot all about the ones I already have on my layout in GA.
Dam I wish it wasn't so far away!!!
I know I'm needing mandible reconstruction but we'll wait until they say I'm 100% cancer free before that happens.
That test/scan happens next Monday and I'm very nervous about it. I could handle more chemo but that radiation liked to have killed me the first time and surely would on a 2nd go-round.

In the mean time I got a railroad to build by God!!!!;)
E

Actually, I have a turnouts in need of a solenoid. However, I'm considering having some be manual throws.
I'd like to get a couple of the manual throws and see what I think.
Point me to a MBK item and I'll get a couple.
Thanks fellers.
You all literally are the only friends I have. Sure I know people. More like they know me but I have no clue who they are. that's probably because my Dad was a clinical pharmacist around here for so many years everyone knows him - that's for sure. I imagine behind the scenes it goes something like this "That's Eric White. Ron's son and Opal's grandson." (Opal is Granny)
Between that pretty much means everyone knows me.

Greetings. First of all: Thank you everybody for the kind comments about my square foot of scenery - I don't want to name names for fear of missing somebody.

I wouldn't worry about that, Ken.
We all moss, or overlook individual people all the time(I know that I do). I forgot to comment on your solar project! That's cool -
I hope it works out for you. I just received my 4th year production report and it was still at the high end of the guaranteed production in spite of the additional clouds and rain that we had this year. I should be getting back about a "C- Note" from SCE for my additional electric produced over what I actually used.

Chet - I forgot to comment earlier on your photo of the NP covered hopper: Fine-looking car!

Curt - Maybe too late, but if not - I vote for the roof on the left.

I'd love to do one too, Karl, but my trainspace is currently a disaster area with scenery-related s**t piled up everywhere, floors and layout surfaces.:eek:

I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place with my tree-making project. My preferred method of "dressing" a tree armature is to apply spray adhesive, sprinkle-on the leaf material, then seal everything with hairspray. Since I can't do solvent-based spraying indoors, and I have a full-time day job, the only times I can get enough daylight outdoors is on Tuesday afternoons [when I leave work early] and on weekends - after the yard maintenance chores are finished. The other four evenings of the week are unavailable since my "free" time [8:30-10:30pm] doesn't begin until after sunset. I want to order a collapsible spray painting booth, but SWMBO wants me to wait a month for that because we just got bills for car insurance and our youngest daughter's college tuition - and we're just plain broke! Life can sure be a PITA sometimes...

Ken, we all have our own crosses to bear- LOL. My RR money is currently being consumed via such things as CT SCANS and other medical issues. Speaking of such, I just had another one yesterday. I was feeling pretty worn-out-tired by the time I arrived back home.

DAVE, The photo you posted of the tracks with the depot in the distance is AWESOME! Great shot!

ERIC, I used to get the same thing from people, except I did not have a "granny"!

Welcome back, Johnny!

Garry- Check your "E" mail. Sent MIKES -[INCH] address.

Now 91 ,partly cloudy and all hot & muggy. No rain yet. Storm bypassed us yesterday. Very light sprinkles only.

ERIC glad you having fun again.

Prayers for all,
Phil

Thanks, Sherrel, the entire module is about 18" by 42" and I was able to take it outside on the deck to get the background good.

We don't all have the opportunity to take our railroad outside!

Good afternoon!

I had a great nap, woke up with all kinds of ideas whirling around in my head. I got straight to work on them and now I have some new plans!

Trains are taking a back seat for now so please keep sharing your pictures, stories, purchases, creations, experiences and whatever else is on your minds. I have not yet caught up with all the posts I have missed and I probably never will, but this forum helps to clear my mind and reset my process. Even the political debates are interesting and informative because I value and respect each and everyone of your opinions. Like Joh McCain, I don't always agree with all of you, but I always respect you.

That reminds me of something that has been on my mind:

Garry I feel for you, from what I know about you I believe you are a true conservative and that is becoming a rare thing these days. Coming from a background of the old school conservative southern democrats that once dominated Maryland politics I have been influenced greatly by true conservatives. Even though now I am probably more of a social liberal with fiscal conservative leanings or something like that. Any way keep your thoughts and opinions coming, I enjoy reading them.

Joe I appreciate your thoughts and ideas as well., that goes for you too Willie!

Sherrel I will not stick to baseball, trains and whatever else you approve of. If I strike a nerve, forgive me, it's nothing personal, but that does let me know I am on the right track! ;)

Lots of love for all of you guys, like Eric I consider you all my friends and like Ken in MD I always miss mentioning somebody, forgive me, you are all important to me, Even you Karl ;)

Tomorrow I am going to look at a commercial property that might just serve my purpose of getting my wife going in her own store/commercial kitchen. It's probably the first of many, but you have to start somewhere. Lots more research to do, but now I have to get going to work.

God Bless us Everyone!

Ken, we all have our own crosses to bear- LOL. My RR money is currently being consumed via such things as CT SCANS and other medical issues. Speaking of such, I just had another one yesterday. I was feeling pretty worn-out-tired by the time I arrived back home.

Quite true, Sherrell, my "crosses" don't rise anywhere near to the level of your's and Eric's, and in hindsight I wish I hadn't posted about it. But I felt like Charlie Brown in that repeating cartoon where Lucy yanks away the football, and had this overwhelming compulsion to vent...:rolleyes:

Regarding the solar panels: Even though they're physically installed, we have to wait another 6-9 weeks before we're allowed to turn them on. The county doesn't have nearly as many electrical inspectors as there are people to build these things!

Garry - good idea, but building spray booths is one of those things I prefer to out-source to the experts!

Dave - I thought for a moment that your Wyoming station photo was the real thing - great job!

Checking in late. Been quite busy as a construction company managed to dig up our phone lines. No phones or internet. Fine kettle of fish. They just managed to get the lines repaired.

Not too bad out here today as it is sitting just at 80 degrees and the highs for the rest of the week are expected to be in the high 70's and possibly at the 80 degree mark.

Eric - Now that you have trains running, have you figured out where you're going to put the structures that you recently built? I am happy that you are able to run trains.

Dave - The depot looks outstanding the way you took the photo. Excellent.

Phil - Glad to see you posting. Keep the humidity down there.

Willie - Some of those old Magnuson kits were really nice. I think I may still have a couple stashed away that I never got to build. I can see quite a similarity in some of the Walthers kits to the old Magnuson ones.

Ken in MD- I have used Hair spray as an adhesive on some old projects and they are stil holding up quite well after 20+ years.

I sort of feel like the odd man out. I have the funds for more model railroad stuff, but just haven't ordered any recently. I'm sure that someone will pipe up asking for my available funds, but for the time being, is is going towards beer and lumber for the back deck.

Here's a rails photo for the day.

train-track-sunset-2.jpg

Later

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back