Running Bear's Coffee Shop LXVI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gene - Looks like you put a dent in the credit card with all of that loot. It's nice to find an old school shop like that. Years ago when I first got out of the service and was stuck living in an apartment in south Florida, I used to go to Orange Blossom Hobbies in Miami. Of course this was long before the internet (1970's) and they had a huge store with just about anything you could want. I was stuck with having to build something in N scale that I could slide under a bed at the time. The folks at the store were great.

That place may be old school, but they probably have quite a following. Sure wish I had a shop like that around.

I sure like that Rapido Caboose. I had thought about getting one and repainting it for my freelance railroad but it is a bit too modern. Really like it.

Chet I remember Orange Blossom Hobbies....was taken there when I was about 50 years ago when I 12-13 years old...my mind was blown because I had never seen a hobby shop as big as that with so many diffrent kinds of inventory...loved it!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
One short comment on North American free trade (NAFTA). NAFTA opened Mexican borders to allow cheaper made Mexican products to flood the US markets. The NAFTA made trade one sided with Mexico with Mexico companies winning out over US companies. We've seen countless US companies and US investors sending their dollars to Mexico to start or finance factories to produce low price products and wouldn't they?

Mexico (including China and others) can product products at a lower prices than products made in the US by naming just a few reasons.

Foreign companies have:

-Fewer environmental restrictions.
-Lower employee wages.
-Less employee benefits.
-Pays lower prices for rare materials.
-Lower corporate taxes.
-Lower employment costs.
-Mexico has placed tariffs on goods imported from the US.

Isn't it strange that see saw our economy start failing about the time the NAFTA was established and trade increasing with China?

Milwaukee, Wisconsin was once known as the "Tool Box of America" due to the large number of manufacturing plants and small tool shops in Milwaukee. For the most part, these companies are gone. Production now moved across the border. This was happened to companies all over the US, not just in Milwaukee.

The next time you purchase a new vehicle take a look at which countries produced the parts that built your new vehicle...you maybe surprised!

Fast food and service industries will not make America stronger. A $15 starting wage for fast food workers isn't the answer either.

I'm finished saying my peace, I think this forum should return to topics related to model railroading and we avoid "political topics" that should be reserved for other Forums.

Thanks.

Greg

Last edited by a moderator:
OH YEAH !! And their selection of BRASS was eye watering.

Temp./ now 82- cloudy. More t/s later. Just nother summer day in mid Fla.

Phil

One short comment on North American free trade (NAFTA). NAFTA opened Mexican borders to allow cheaper made Mexican products to flood the US markets. The NAFTA made trade one sided with Mexico with Mexico companies winning out over US companies. We've seen countless US companies and US investors sending their dollars to Mexico to start or finance factories to produce low price products and wouldn't they?

Mexico (including China and others) can product products at a lower prices than products made in the US by naming just a few reasons.

Foreign companies have:

-Fewer environmental restrictions.
-Lower employee wages.
-Less employee benefits.
-Pays lower prices for rare materials.
-Lower corporate taxes.
-Lower employment costs.
-Mexico has placed tariffs on goods imported from the US.

Isn't it strange that see saw our economy start failing about the time the NAFTA was established and trade increasing with China?

Milwaukee, Wisconsin was once known as the "Tool Box of America" due to the large number of manufacturing plants and small tool shops in Milwaukee. For the most part, these companies are gone. Production now moved across the border. This was happened to companies all over the US, not just in Milwaukee.

The next time you purchase a new vehicle take a look at which countries produced the parts that built your new vehicle...you maybe surprised!

Fast food and service industries will not make America stronger. A $15 starting wage for fast food workers isn't the answer either.

I'm finished saying my peace, I think this forum should return to topics related to model railroading and we avoid "political topics" that should be reserved for other Forums.

Thanks.

Greg

The thing about Free-Trade, as in NAFTA, is that it isn't free. There is always a price to pay, for everybody. American manufacturing has paid a price for it, the American consumer has paid a price for it, American workers have paid for it, Mexico has paid a price for it, small Mexican businesses have paid a price, Mexican workers have also paid a price for it. And all those entities have also benefited from it. Pretty well everybody who complains about Nafta has benefited from it in one way or another. People on model railroad forums complain about prices of new models and complain about free-trade with China without even realizing about the complete disconnect as they do it.

Good morning y'all. 76° and sunny.

Yesterday was wild, first of all oldest son is visiting with the grandchildren, so we have a house full. It also means our cat is exiled to our bedroom, because of the big family dog.
Cat has developed digestive problems, which necessitated an unscheduled trip to the vet...and an unscheduled heavy cleaning of the bedroom carpeting. Meanwhile, a line of storms passed over with lots of natural fireworks and a ¼" of rain. To top off the night, the kitchen sink drain decided it needed to leak. Back to HD for new pvc drain. After a late dinner, I turned on ESPN hoping to find a game of interest. Instead, we got a Cleveland @ Boston Rain Delay, with live look-ins of other games. They showed Washington - Miami, Tampa, LAD, the Yankees but somehow, avoiding any look-in at Camden yards. :confused: So I missed the game completely. Sneaking off to watch it on MLB TV would have been construed as anti-social. :rolleyes:

Needless to say, it was an interesting day.

As to the other "debate" recently concluded, When I moved from Pennsylvania to Delaware, I thought I was liberated from the oppression of the "Tax state", and it's twice per year auto inspection, and their border guard/revenue agents staking out the parking lots of all Liquor stores / Milk stores in Delaware and Maryland, searching for tax evaders buying untaxed milk and liquor. Then I moved from Delaware to Maryland, and found PG County interesting to say the least. DC was fascinating, like entering a parallel universe. The shock of returning to PA, reminded me of all the things wrong with Pennsylvania, plus some new twists added in my absence. After a five year exile, I returned to the Free State, to find all was not as free as before. However Harford County was nice, and Baltimore was (then) very civil, and we enjoyed living there, and participating in local civic activities. Jersey, was a shock, I cannot enumerate the twists and curved thrown at me in every dealing. Turns out there was a massive exodus, from Brooklyn and Staten Island, and the local Realtors, Lawyers et all, were taking full advantage of first time buyer's ignorance. Because we were from Maryland, we were dismissed as hicks, even though this was going to be our fourth house as a couple, my fifth over all. Took a lot of time / effort to gain a foothold here, although it turned out to be quicksand :rolleyes:. Point of the story, is that Everywhere is utopia to those who like where they are at, or think they are in control, and somewhat less to those on the outside. Same goes for every non railroad discussion that pops up here and there. Everyone has an opinion and everyone claims they are right. There are no winners in these discussions, but sometimes there are losers, if you get my drift. We are on medicare, with supplement, and Separate Part D. So much better than my MIL's plan, which is Managed PPO. In any event my only stake in the whole debate, is my fear that some politician (s), will take what we paid for and replace it with a "privitized" plan that will cost me more and give me less, to the benefit of some Health Insurance Giant under the guize of "fairness" and "equality".
I'm gettin too old to start over, and I'm probably less healthy than I want to accept. The worst part of all of this is that I/we are helpless when it comes to protecting ourselves or influencing anyone. All we can do is hope for the best. I have never been more pesimistic about the state of affairs, and of the quality and priorities of our elected officials, regardless of affiliation, or any other demarcation.

Sorry for ranting and thanks for reading.

I would like to see the price difference for an American made Proto locomotive verses a comparable made Chinese product.

Thanks.

Greg

Looking forward to KEN in VA's visit - even if it is only for a couple hours.

He has a pretty long ride ahead - hopefully he will miss a Yougge gaggle of TR+ in the Blyth, CA area. Must be the remenants of the ones which came over here yesterday. We got nary a drop, but the sky was so dark at midday to cause street lights to come on. I would guess that East of us had some downpours and flash flooding to contend with.
It's clear and calm out now - beautiful! Temp is expected in mid 90's for next several days.

Spousal Unit informed me that I need to sweep and vacuum a path to get in the door, so better get moving.

Good afternoon!

I have a few minutes so I am checking in. I hope all is well.

Things are looking good in bird land! The Orioles have won 5 straight!

Here is something interesting. When my wife was visiting her Mom in Hungary, she purchased a 750ML bottle of Jack Daniels at the Kecskemet market to give to her cousin from Budapest. My wife paid 3,072 Hungarian Forints, about $12. The same bottle costs me $19.99 here in Baltimore. Keep in mind Hungary has a 27% national value added tax on all goods, including alcohol.

Price has more to do with what the market will tolerate than it does with the cost of making the goods.

As Terry pointed out the cost of living in this country is closely related to the per capita income of the area you live in.

That's all folks, I have work to do.

Have a great day!

PS I am reminded of something my friend Jeffery AKA Running Bear told me when I first came into this coffee shop. "here you can talk about anything, just try not to piss anybody off" I'm still trying :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back