Running Bear's Coffee Shop LXIV

Dave (LASM) ... I did not see your PM to me when I just sent one to you. I quickly sent a reply to your PM to me after being it. You may ignore my first PM because it was sent without seeing your PM.

Terry,
What specific NCE unit do you have?
Is your conversation with Mike at NCE documented?
Ken, see my reply above.

I just gave them another call, and another person stood by Mike's response. Any external factor that causes a failure is not covered by their warranty.
I looked over the manuals carefully, and nowhere did it say I had to buy a separate breaker. Doesn't matter, they're not covering it.
I just bought one of their breakers, and will install it when it gets here. I hope the system provides a very long life when I get it back, because it will be the last thing I buy from them. If it fails again, it's going in the garbage, and I'll get another Digitrax system--if I don't just give up on dcc, and/or model railroading. It's getting old, having companies do anything to weasel out of their responsibility.

Last edited by a moderator:
Terry:

While I turn off the breaker that supplies power and lighting to everything in my layout room when I leave the layout, the neutral side of the circuit can still carry a lighting strike. I have no faith in the surge protector I use to plug in my layout's electric supplies.

I been unplugging my Digitrax DB150 when not in use and and just recently unplugging my Digitrax throttles from the LocoNet system. I have no faith in the surge protectors I use to plug in my layout's electric supplies. I figure why my have the throttles plugged into the Digitrax system if not being used. It just may extend their life by reducing their active time.

Greg

Last edited by a moderator:
Does it state that in the documentation that you got with the system?
No. It does state defects in material and workmanship.
They told me the manual was written when the system was first ntroduced in the 1990s, and hasn't been updated.

Like I said, very disappointed, especially since others have given glowing recommendations abut their customer service.

Good morning everyone. 66 here in SW MO, heading for storms tonight and tomorrow - we don't need any more around here, with several bridges still underwater, damaged from log strikes, etc. Can I sell any of you some rain?

Late logging on today b/c of a procedure I had done this morning down "where the sun don't shine." Yeah - colonoscopy - I do them non-sedated so it doesn't take quite so long and no-one has to accompany me to the hospital - I just get up and walk out. Plus, I hate being sedated when it's not necessary. Good news, though - no polyps, no biopsies necessary - nothing. First time I've had a clean report in about 15 years.

No progress in the train room. Posted a Q on another forum on this site, trying to get a handle on how to elevate track and cover up the inclines so it looks like a mountainside. Getting antsy to complete that first full loop around the layout. Plus got to get back to structure-building so our town doesn't look like a ghost town :)

See ya later. Have a good day everyone.

Ken, see my reply above.

I just gave them another call, and another person stood by Mike's response. Any external factor that causes a failure is not covered by their warranty.
I looked over the manuals carefully, and nowhere did it say I had to buy a separate breaker. Doesn't matter, they're not covering it.
I just bought one of their breakers, and will install it when it gets here. I hope the system provides a very long life when I get it back, because it will be the last thing I buy from them. If it fails again, it's going in the garbage, and I'll get another Digitrax system--if I don't just give up on dcc, and/or model railroading. It's getting old, having companies do anything to weasel out of their responsibility.

Terry - I agree with you 100%. I hate it when companies do that to customers. You'd swear no-one at the company has any business sense - to understand what a situation like this can do to their reputation if someone starts bad-mouthing them to everyone, or the fact that you won't buy from them anymore - are they really brainless? Even if they feel like their policy covers the situation, a little leniency on their part would go a looong way to keeping a good reputation and a good customer.

I finally fixed the video I took at a large-ish train show over the winter. I'm calling it "Lego City," for obvious reasons. Now, if I can remember how to imbued a video.

https://youtu.be/W2h_apLm5-k

This signature is intended to irritate people.

Terry, by chance did your system sit for awhile with a short applied to the track?
I'm talking to a friend who is an authorized NCE repair guy. The internal components of the system can indicate certain conditions that led to the failure. For example, a drop of candle wax on a heat sink will show extreme heat which could only be achieved by extended shorted condition before other components begin to fry. Other components can indicate the application of input from another device on the track side of the Power Cab from things like another DCC system.

18195066_10154551149181762_4106156853172097830_n.jpg

I don't have much time, but in regards to what is happening with Terry; if you think it's unfair contact NCE and let them know!

https://www.ncedcc.com/contact-nce

Let NCE know the $67 they got from Terry bought them a lot more negative advertising then they bargained for.

When I was a Tire salesman we called customers like Terry a "bell cow" (respected and influential member of the industry) NEVER screw a bell cow, even if it goes against your policy, make concessions to keep them happy!

This cow follows Terry's bell, let them know there are many cows following Terry's bell.

Somewhere I have the 800 phone number, but I am up against the clock now. I have to pickup my grandson from school.

Ken, what I was told was it was probably a series of brief short circuits that caused the failure. "Did you ever have a locomotive split a switch? Did a car ever derail, and cause a short?" If I had said No, I would have been a liar. If I said Yes, that was grounds for not covering the repair.

Terry,
Shorts like that are very common on model railroads and the design of the PowerCab would be able to handle that.

TERRY-Bummer! If that system is that sensitive, then I’m thinking that DCC will not be my cup of tea! I was looking at the link that Louis provided: If that is the Five Amp Pro Wireless then you paid BIG bucks unless you got a “real deal” of one just falling off the truck. Never-the-less, I think that your episode will cause me to “ring” Louis’s cowbell one time in your honor.

Terry: Your experience sucks. Sounds like your NCE was sub standard to begin with. They should not fail due to minor, day to day things. Abuse is another thing, but nothing you describe would in any way constitute improper usage. I always heard NCE had a great reputation especially in product support. Don't understand this...

Louis: Go Caps ! O's and Nats having sub par nights...these things happen.

The floods in Missouri look ugly. Those of y'all out there take care and be careful.

The procab 5 amp wireless was at a discount, but not any special deal. When I got it, I aksed for everything I needed to install it and operate it.
I've had problems before with other systems, but with the system causing problems with the decoders. Not happy, the system wasn't cheap.

On my club's NCE layout, the electrician has 12V auto headlight bulbs wired into it, so when there is a short on a section (layout is in 2 sections/blocks, with separate power supplies) a bulb lights up. Power goes off, but I'm told the bulb affords protection. Don't know how, but I'll ask.

On my club's NCE layout, the electrician has 12V auto headlight bulbs wired into it, so when there is a short on a section (layout is in 2 sections/blocks, with separate power supplies) a bulb lights up. Power goes off, but I'm told the bulb affords protection. Don't know how, but I'll ask.

TOOT - Club I was in back in K.C. had a setup like that. I remember seeing that circuit in MR way back when. I have the issue, but I cannot remember which one it is.

Back