Running Bear's Coffee Shop LXI

My desk top computer is having problems with the internet. I can get on line, go to a second web site but after that, Chrome just hangs up and can't go anywhere.
My Droid works fine though.
Great Super Bowl finaly.
While I was driving over to my friends house to watch the game, I heard a clink sound from under the truck when I was approaching a stop light. After that I could here a grinding sound when I applied the brakes. It was coming from the left rear.
I got home tonight and pulled the left rear wheel and found that one of the mounting bolts that holds the caliper over the brake pads was missing. I had a matching bolt in my spare parts can and put it back together. I really hate working on the truck at night in 33 degree temps. At least it wasn't raining.

Good morning, everyone. 55 and raining here in SW MO. Nice week ahead, in the 50's to 70's and sunny everyday until the weekend.
Beautiful day yesterday at 60 and sunny. Got some yard work done (in the first week of February??!!?).

Got 7 or 8 lengths of roadbed glued down. Ready to nail some track in place, hook up some alligator clips, and test-run our first train!! Will have to post some photos this week.

Finishing up a Walthers freight station. It was a pretty easy build, once I got the parts spray-painted. I don't have an air brush system yet - been using spray cans and hand-brushing. Will probably have to break down soon and buy an airbrush setup. The freight station is about my 6th or 7th structure, and I think I finally have it down right - not over-gluing, not over-painting, clean. Maybe there's hope for me yet!?!

Have a good day everyone.
Johnny

Good Morning Folks. 63° with overcast skies this morning. Supposed to warm up to the lower 80's today. I planted 12 broccoli plants in the garden yesterday, that's three more than last year. Wife and I usually get five meals, fresh and frozen for later, plus some salad trimmings per plant. We do like broccoli and it's good for the body. Didn't get to the green peas yet, that's for today.
In the train shed yesterday, I did add some more ground foam ground cover to an area that I am working on. Not ready for pictures yet, maybe in a week or two depending on how distracted I get and whatever else comes up. While waiting for glue to dry, I took another older Athearn engine out of storage and cleaned and lubricated it. Another GP60 regular hood unit, of which ATSF had 40 on their roster, all in the blue/yellow warbonnet paint. They had an additional 63 GP60M's and 23 GP60B's as well, all in the red/silver warbonnet paint scheme. They didn't buy one of anything! Trivia: Due to a clause in the lease agreement, the GP60's must remain in the blue/yellow warbonnet scheme no matter who owns them. It's not in the lease for the GP60M's or GP60B's. The BNSF re-paints were done in this way, while the original GP60M's and GP60B's got the BNSF paint scheme.

Ken in Md - Hope that you get some relief soon. I imagine that it is a real ordeal to live with.
Beady - My words almost exactly. It was still a pleasure to see the finished product though.
Chet - Thanks. Nice work on those passenger cars, and the scrapyard seems to be coming along nicely too. I also agree about the electric cars. Unless I'm traveling south towards the Dallas area, there just aren't enough charging stations.
Curt - I use the "N" scale roadbed for my sidings. I only use a single strip that just fits under the track, and I just shape out the ballast to suit my fancy. I split it on curves but keep it in it's original form. On broad curves, I just slit the outer strip without splitting. I'll get a picture or two when I head out to the train shed later.
Johnny -
Ready to nail some track in place, hook up some alligator clips
Why not just hook up the permanent feeders?

Later folks. Everybody have a great day.

Willie

Last edited by a moderator:
Good morning, a heat wave out here. 42 degrees at 0500. Global warming ????

A quiet day yesterday. Guess a lot of folks were watching the Super Bowl.

Willie - Getting ground cover down is a good start. It sure make so much difference.

Ken in VA - You sure were lucks to have the correct part on hand to repair the caliper. Could have done some damage.

Johnny - I'm sure that you're excited tp finally get a train running. I did the same thing. Only had about a 12 foot run, but the trains were moving.

Curt - I brought all of my sidings down to "ground level". Have you thought about using a glue such as Elmers and then ballasting the track. If you ever wanter to remove the track, a little water would loosen the glue and the track could be clean up and used again. I did spike all of my track down as I think that it looks lot better. Also, with track at ground level, box cars line right up with loading docks.

Later

Good Morning -- weather guessers are still missing the targets.
Expecting some scattered rain showers in the area later on. Pretty good rain North of us.

Today is forecast to be NEARLY THE SAME temperature as yesterday.
Today
High 56 | Low 52 °F
80% Chance of Precip.
Yesterday
High 67.6 | Low 42.4 °F
Precip. 0 in

I'm off for another CT SCAN this morning.

Good Morning Folks. 63° with overcast skies this morning. Supposed to warm up to the lower 80's today. I planted 12 broccoli plants in the garden yesterday, that's three more than last year. Wife and I usually get five meals, fresh and frozen for later, plus some salad trimmings per plant. We do like broccoli and it's good for the body. Didn't get to the green peas yet, that's for today.
In the train shed yesterday, I did add some more ground foam ground cover to an area that I am working on. Not ready for pictures yet, maybe in a week or two depending on how distracted I get and whatever else comes up. While waiting for glue to dry, I took another older Athearn engine out of storage and cleaned and lubricated it. Another GP60 regular hood unit, of which ATSF had 40 on their roster, all in the blue/yellow warbonnet paint. They had an additional 63 GP60M's and 23 GP60B's as well, all in the red/silver warbonnet paint scheme. They didn't buy one of anything! Trivia: Due to a clause in the lease agreement, the GP60's must remain in the blue/yellow warbonnet scheme no matter who owns them. It's not in the lease for the GP60M's pr GP60B's. The BNSF re-paints were done in this way, while the original GP60M's and GP60B's got the BNSF paint scheme.

Ken in Md - Hope that you get some relief soon. I imagine that it is a real ordeal to live with.
Beady - My words almost exactly. It was still a pleasure to see the finished product though.
Chet - Thanks. Nice work on those passenger cars, and the scrapyard seems to be coming along nicely too. I also agree about the electric cars. Unless I'm traveling south towards the Dallas area, there just aren't enough charging stations.
Curt - I use the "N" scale roadbed for my sidings. I only use a single strip that just fits under the track, and I just shape out the ballast to suit my fancy. I split it on curves but keep it in it's original form. On broad curves, I just slit the outer strip without splitting. I'll get a picture or two when I head out to the train shed later.
Johnny -
Why not just hook up the permanent feeders?

Later folks. Everybody have a great day.

Willie

Willie - I want to make sure the loco can maneuver the curves on this section. This first part of the layout is the craziest, with several curves, the trainyard with 6 switches, etc. Before hooking up permanent electrical connections, I'll do some test runs and relay roadbed and track if necessary (although I hope I've done enough calculating that real problems won't show up).
Johnny

Johnny - One of the best ways to check your track is to back as long a train as you can through what ever track you have down. When I was build the yard at Logan on my layout, I backed a 20+ car train through all of the turnouts and apparently the extra time I took laying the track paid off as I haven't had any derailment yet.

Johnny - One of the best ways to check your track is to back as long a train as you can through what ever track you have down. When I was build the yard at Logan on my layout, I backed a 20+ car train through all of the turnouts and apparently the extra time I took laying the track paid off as I haven't had any derailment yet.

Chet - good idea. I'll try that as soon as I can.
Johnny

Afternoon All,

Did a bunch of things around the house today before heading to the train room. After deciding what I wanted for the track plan I taped it and painted the table top brown so the future track runs stands out. The 2 PECO T/O's also came in so I soldered jumpers on them and weathered them. Tomorrow I am going down to the LHS to get flex track and road bed (just not sure whether it will be HO or N yet).

I determined that I need to build a 40" (real inches) platform between track 1 & 2 and a 26" (real inches) on the outside edge of track 3. I have built platforms before, but these will be massive compared to those.

I was going to post a pic of the table top but Photobucket won't load:mad:. Just as well since I noticed after I pulled the tape up the middle track was crooked:( ( I was using a yard stick). I believe Chet previously told me to load pictures into the desk top, but I have no clue how to do that, so I live with what I have.

Willie- Awesome job on the wood building. I know it's not my layout but my 2 cents would be to not use the photo interior permanently. That was a strange fact, thanks for the info. Thank you for your suggestion.

Chet- Great modeling and pics. Thank you for your suggestion.

Terry- Thanks for the recommendation.

VA Ken- I know it was cold, but it was good that you could fix the brake issue. It saved you money for MRR'ing!.

Johnny- It's all part of the learning curve we all go through. Mine was very expensive taking the layout through 3 major changes.

Sherrel- I hope your Cat Scan turned out OK.

Eric- I hope you are doing well and enjoying your train.

I hope everyone has a good night.

Curt - Most of my photos are taken with my phone. What I'll do then is to email them to myself and download them to a photo album on my desk top. If you are using a digital camera, you should be able to down load them directly to your computer. Then click above where it says insert image. Choose "From Computer" and them click on uploader in the lower right. Then choose the album you want to download a photo from. When the album has been opened, right click on the photo you want to down load and click "select".

Clear as mud ?????

Chet .... I agree with that. Until I built my reverse loops (one at each end of the layout), I operated point-to-point. Usually, I simply ran the entire train backwards to return to the other end of the line. That helped find the trouble spots needing correction.

Regarding feeders (Karl and Toot........ sigh..... ) .... I avoid using too many feeders by soldering all rail joints (except insulated ones) .

Sherrel .... Good luck with your CT Scan.

Again, this is the coffee shop for the next several hundred posts.
Lord deliver us from the hands of helpful people...

Good afternoon fellow Rail Workers and Spike Drivers,

Hi Francine & Flo, You've got Jeffreys' Dinner looking really great and the place seems fairly busy. Say Flo, how about a large bowl Chili beans with beef and of course coffee. Thanks.

Overcast at 47.8 °F - Feels Like 43 °F
Winds are Variable from South at 11.2, Gusts 12.3 mph

Today is forecast to be Much Cooler than yesterday.
Today
High 52 | Low 47 °F
70% Chance of Precip.
Yesterday
High 51.6 | Low 39.9 °F
Precip. 0.4 in
rain

Rain possible at 6:00pm.

Pressure 29.97 in
Visibility 10.0 miles
Clouds Overcast 1000 ft
Windchill 43 °F
Dew Point 48 °F
Humidity 99%
Rainfall 0.14 in Yesterday till today at 2:00 Pm I had .44 inches of rain. The season total is 18.15 inches.
Snow Depth Not available.

Good morning, everyone. 55 and raining here in SW MO. Nice week ahead, in the 50's to 70's and sunny everyday until the weekend.
Beautiful day yesterday at 60 and sunny. Got some yard work done (in the first week of February??!!?).

Got 7 or 8 lengths of roadbed glued down. Ready to nail some track in place, hook up some alligator clips, and test-run our first train!! Will have to post some photos this week.

Finishing up a Walthers freight station. It was a pretty easy build, once I got the parts spray-painted. I don't have an air brush system yet - been using spray cans and hand-brushing. Will probably have to break down soon and buy an airbrush setup. The freight station is about my 6th or 7th structure, and I think I finally have it down right - not over-gluing, not over-painting, clean. Maybe there's hope for me yet!?!

Have a good day everyone.
Johnny

Johnny: I wouldn't suggest being too quick like you were in gluing down your road bed until your sure it's in the proper place so the trains run right, like you want them too. Once glued down it becomes a real problem to move.

Oh good grief, feeders again!:rolleyes::eek::cool:

Karl: What are you trying to do bringing up that subject, cause a panic? LoL

Good Morning -- weather guessers are still missing the targets.
Expecting some scattered rain showers in the area later on. Pretty good rain North of us.

Today is forecast to be NEARLY THE SAME temperature as yesterday.
Today
High 56 | Low 52 °F
80% Chance of Precip.
Yesterday
High 67.6 | Low 42.4 °F
Precip. 0 in

I'm off for another CT SCAN this morning.

Sherrel: Hope everything look good with the images?

Been eating ibuprofin like candy over the past few days. The pinched nerve at the base of my spine has gotten to the point where I have to avoid sitting down; anytime my left thigh gets perpendicular to my body, as soon as a stand up again I get a crippling muscle spasm which lasts between 20-30 seconds, with residual soreness for ~ an hour afterwards. I'm supposed to get a cortisone injection on Tuesday afternoon. Hopefully that will at least provide a few months' relief; failing that, I guess surgery will be my only other option.

Say Ken: I would try going to a good chiropractor first to see if he might not be able to offer some relief before taking the Cortisone injection. From what I hear, once that wears off the pain is even worse. Maybe a chiropractor could relieve the pinched nerve. That the problem I had a while back and after a couple of visits and adjustments the pain went away.

Finally went out and retrieved the camera. Here are two pictures of the Bar Mills "Amos Cutter's General Merchandise" that I just completed. It is intended to be a bit run down, thus the slight weathering. The first picture is of the bay window section. That piece has 33 individual parts in it, not counting the supplied interior photo; which I may change. The second picture is the completed structure.
View attachment 60501View attachment 60502

The signs visible in the second photo comprised 12 additional parts.

Willie

Willie: That's a very interesting looking building, nice job.

This may sound like a really stupid question:

I want to have a lower profile roadbed on the sidings I am working on than the HO cork roadbed and I don't really want to glue the track directly on the wood. Is N-scale cork road bed large enough so that the HO track ties don't hang over the edges?

Say Curt: Having some height difference between the mainline and the siding sure adds a nice effect.
Most all sidings I seen were at ground level to keep the height of the freight doors and docks of buildings at a reasonable height to match up with the box & flat cars heights for loading/unloading. I can remember working for Service Paper in Fresno which was build right along side the SP tracks and they did had their own siding and I helped unload a box car that came in and a fairly heavy bridge was used between the building and car so a fork lift as well as us guys with hand trucks could easily go back and forth unloading the shipment.

I guess your trying to prevent gluing to the wood baseboard? How about using Scotch double sided tape to which you could
attach some Parchment paper or even Parchment business card stock for a bit of added thickness that was cut to size and then placing your track on top of that along with a light bit of ballast. On many sidings, the ties were eve sunk in the mud from years of use.

Scoth/3M even now has a double sided tape with a thin layer of foam between both sides for a bit of added thickness.

Hope that offers some help

I'm going to be serious, for a moment. No, seriously.

I don't say it, but I'm seriously(!) In awe of you guys. You really are artists, and I feel like a slob standing next to you. The fact that I really am a slob has nothing to do with it. The feeling is all the worse, since I am currently setupless. If I could, I'd visit each of you and drool all over your setups.

Just an early valentine. You may now resume normal operations while I belch and scratch my ass.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Curt - I agree regarding the supplied photo that came with the General Store. As I posted, I will probably change it out for something that I download off the Internet. It looks slightly out of scale and has no depth.
Regarding the elevation differences, I took a couple of pictures, well a few but only a couple are useful.
02-06-17 001.JPG02-06-17 004.JPG

The first shows a newer part of the layout...track with the engine on it is on "N" scale roadbed. Track further to the right is an industry siding and has only thin cardstock for roadbed...think cereal box thickness. The second picture of ballasted track clearly shows (to me anyway) the difference in elevation when finished.

Willie

Anybody get this problem on this site with the back button. Happens occasionally for some oddball reason. I have to go find a "sweet spot" with the pointer to make it work, and it's not in the same spot every time.

Anybody get this problem on this site with the back button. Happens occasionally for some oddball reason. I have to go find a "sweet spot" with the pointer to make it work, and it's not in the same spot every time.

TOOT -- Are you referring to the small left-right arrow to the left of the url.

Back