Running Bear's Coffee Shop LVIII

Good Morning Gang. It's a fall-like 48° with clear skies this morning. Only getting up to 71° today. Back to the more normal 62°-85° range by Sunday. Seems like we got .3" of rain sometime after midnight Wednesday night.
As many have read, I was vacationing Saturday-yesterday and took in three model railroad museums along the way. Spent time on the beach in Gulf Shores AL as well. I am reviewing the pictures that I took at two of the museums now, and when I get a chance, I will figure out how to get the additional pictures that I took with my wife's cell phone into the computer and post some of them as well.
While getting gas somewhere around Covington LA, the "Batmobile" pulled in next to me.
10-20-16 002.001.JPG

A few comments on posts from the last few days that I missed:
Karl - I have thousands of feet of phone and computer wire that was being discarded from where I used to work, and it makes great wiring for building lighting. Could probably be used for signaling and turnout control (if one uses electrical controls), but it is mostly too small a gauge for track power. Good to know that the brass loco will come to life when there is track to run it on.
Eric - Hoping that the cats aren't stuck indoors.
Ken - I'm with you, except 36 hours is closer to my tolerance. I do make an exception every fall for our Gulf Shores visit. During the summer, my wife goes to the Texas shore with the kids and I stay "home alone"!
Louis - OK, I'll start with you. The following two pictures were taken on the "O" scale layout at the "Mississippi Coast Model Railroad Museum" in Gulfport MS.
10-20-16 076.001.JPG10-20-16 075.001.JPG

One final picture of the view from my condo balcony in Gulf Shores.
10-20-16 046.001.JPG

I'm headed out for my walk along known routes this morning. In Gulf Shores, I walked along the road running in front of our condo and kept getting blasted by errant sprinklers.
Everyone have a good Friday.

Willie

Good morning fellers! The heat got turned off today. Was 85° yesterday going to be 47° today. Lots of rain today as well. Would be a good day to do some more work on the layout however I owe Pepsi 8 hours today. But the weekend is almost here. At least it's Friday. I may do some work on the layout before work today. It's been my daily thing this week with some really good progress.

Sent from my LGLS675 using Tapatalk

Hey Bruce, welcome back. Many of us have missed you over here. I have been keeping up with your rebuild over at the other place and I hope that you will grace us with some pictures here. I don't go to the other place too often only because they are mostly "O" gaugers (nothing wrong with that), and they are a more raucous group than over here.
Again, welcome back.

Willie

Hey Bruce, welcome back. Many of us have missed you over here. I have been keeping up with your rebuild over at the other place and I hope that you will grace us with some pictures here. I don't go to the other place too often only because they are mostly "O" gaugers (nothing wrong with that), and they are a more raucous group than over here.
Again, welcome back.

Willie

Meh, they's all right, just a bit uptight. I guess I "have a knack", I'll try to "keep it under 90" while I'm here. LOL!

Happy to oblige with the pics.
DSCF4300.jpg
DSCF4300.jpgDSCF4299.jpgDSCF4303.jpg

Good morning. Off to a toasty start of the day at 48 degrees and we could possibly get up to 60 this afternoon.

Karl - Nice looking collection of brass. Did you give the new addition a test run? I don't have many brass locomotives, but I do have a few PFM steamers and they are all outstanding running locomotives. Mine have to either be on the layout or in the case of some larger ones, live in their box.

Ken - Our winters aren't quite that long, but I have seen snow fall here every month of the year. I well remember setting fireworks off for the kids on the 4th of July in a snow storm. Not a very long growing season here. We figure from Memorail Day to Labor Day. Any extra time is a bonus.

Chessie - Have enjoyed your Chessie photos. Trees would probably work and seperate scenes.

Eric - Glad to hear the tumor has reduced in size. Hoping you can beat this is short order. Great news.

Sherrel - Looks like you have the truck problem solved. Hope yu post photos of the finished cars. I'm not much into O scale due to the amount of space required for them, but I really like all of the detail that can be found in O scale. Years back I did some custom painting for a local O scale brass collector. He owned a jewelry store in town and wanted to get some Milwaukee Road locomotives painted. Went into the basement of the store and he had to have over 100 different brass pieces in his collection. A couple of the locomotives I painted are now on display at the railroad museum on Livingston, MT in the old Northern Pacific depot.

Willie - Sounds like you really enjoyed the trip. Nice photos too. Waiting for more.

NG - Welcome back. Have seen your posts on the other forum, but I like Willie spend little time there. An O scale forum shut down a while back and they seem to have taken over the other forum. I also have nothing against O scale, but they can get carried away over there.

Later 57.gif

YES that IS a GLUE BOTTLE! (EEEEK!) I SWORE I'd never do it but it hadda happen! WS risers were almost essential to get me up off that flat in a realistic and "doable in less than a year" way! Getting up that first 1/2 inch at a grade that will not "kill" the entire idea is TOUGH! Once you get at least that high up off the flat almost any material will "do", those ends where it transitions back to "zero" grade are the places that will give you fits! Ran my DD40 and my little Morse/Fairbanks switcher up a 4% no problem, it's the transition to 4%(or more) and back to "zero" in 1-2% increments that is KEY to successful grades.

DSCF4288.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I was just "lurking to see if "Big-E" was still active on here. He just popped unbidden into my thoughts the other day and I come here to find out he has some medical issue, is he ok?

I was just "lurking to see if "Big-E" was still active on here. He just popped unbidden into my thoughts the other day and I come here to find out he has some medical issue, is he ok?
I'm still kickin bro. I was diagnosed with oral cancer in August and have since moved to my Dad's in south central IL.
I'm still here all day but mostly lurk.
I haven't gotten back to Ga to move my stuff yet so I don't have my trains here.
E

Good morning, everybody . ... Coffee and a do not, please.

New Guy ..... Welcome back ! Missed you. ..... WIllie called you "Bruce"... I assume he was correct. I wondered what ws you name. ... Nice progress on the new layout.

It's October !

pumpkin91061_zps06ebb365.jpg

I'm still kickin bro. I was diagnosed with oral cancer in August and have since moved to my Dad's in south central IL.
I'm still here all day but mostly lurk.
I haven't gotten back to Ga to move my stuff yet so I don't have my trains here.
E

BOO! Paging Dr Beam! Dr JIM BEAM! 500cc's STAT! Oh man, that's a smack, no trains!

Oral cancer? aaa, nothing but another thing, you still got some bounce left, it's very beatable.

I'm sorry to find out only now, I missed the Michael Douglas jokes, DARN!

Seriously though it is good to know you are ok, like I mentioned you just POPPED into the old radar screen and I was curious to see how that awesome layout was doing. I will always consider your lightning quality in such quantity as a bar to reach for.

Everyone,
In an earlier forum, Montanan (Chet) made a comment about his layout: "Didn't want to have to use a double crossover, but due to space limitations, it was the best solution. I have heard of people having problems with them, but this one has been in place for over 20 years and no problems. Being that it has worked so well, I put another at the yard entrance to my other yard."

I've got some questions about double crossovers. We want to use one in our HO code 100 layout, but reading buyer comments on modeltrainstuff.com, they seem to have some problems, even the Shinohara brand. In one case, the buyer says half his rolling stock uncouples when it goes over the double crossover. Wondering if others have the same problems, or other problems, or if one brand seems to work better than another.
Thanks for any info for this newbie.
Raincoat2

I can't see how the double crossover would cause cars to uncouple unless the cars are equipped with Kadee type couplers and the trip pins are not adjusted to the proper height. I have had only a few occasions had the clip holding the coupler on my old blue box cars loosen causing the pin to hang lower than it should cause uncoupling ot hang up on a turn out. That's a quick fix by just pushing the retaining clip back into place over the coupler. A train going through a double cross over is not any different than going through a set of #6 turnouts.

Being that I do use magnets for uncoupling, I make sure that all of my equipment has the couplers properly adjusted.

Seriously though it is good to know you are ok, like I mentioned you just POPPED into the old radar screen and I was curious to see how that awesome layout was doing. I will always consider your lightning quality in such quantity as a bar to reach for.
You should see the last engine I got! It's an SD70ACe. I may have put up a video for it. I don't remember.
E

You should see the last engine I got! It's an SD70ACe. I may have put up a video for it. I don't remember.
E

I think you were just getting ready to talk yourself into pulling the trigger on it about the time I "left". LOL! Sounds like it was worth it.

...Louis - OK, I'll start with you. The following two pictures were taken on the "O" scale layout at the "Mississippi Coast Model Railroad Museum" in Gulfport MS.
View attachment 59020View attachment 59021
Willie that is great stuff! If I am not mistaken that is a K-Line locomotive and caboose. I have one of their Coca-Cola sets, only had it out of the box once. I don't know why I buy things sometimes.

Meh, they's all right, just a bit uptight. I guess I "have a knack", I'll try to "keep it under 90" while I'm here. LOL!

Happy to oblige with the pics.
View attachment 59023
View attachment 59023View attachment 59024View attachment 59025
NEW GUY/Bruce? My old buddy, it's good to see you back, don't be a stranger!

I have not talked to you since Lemmy passed on to the main stage in the sky. You were one of the fortunate few to see him on his last tour I think.

It's great to see you back buddy boy!

Good morning, everybody . ... Coffee and a do not, please.

New Guy ..... Welcome back ! Missed you. ..... WIllie called you "Bruce"... I assume he was correct. I wondered what ws you name. ... Nice progress on the new layout.

It's October !

pumpkin91061_zps06ebb365.jpg

Garry how much for a big pumpkin? They are real aren't they?

See ya gentlemen I am going to be doing Halloween decorations and lights with my grandson Ayden and his Mom. If my legs are still good I will do some work as well.

Have a great day Everybody

WOW! I must thank y'all MOST kindly for the unexpectedly warm rewelcoming! My "cover's BLOWN"? Oh, no, what would Col Flagg do? LOL!
Bruce? Who's Bruce? There is no "Bruce" here, ONLY ZOUL! I'll TRY not to be such a *&^%$ and I promise not to challenge anyone to a sledgehammer duel!

Ya, too far out I'm a MOTORHEAD fan from the 80's and for all the shows I've seen I never got to one of their concerts till the dude is dying! He did not look good but what do you expect, certainly did not expect him to up and DIE right after I got to see em!

I'm not really into "bashing" a forum but this one HAS better pictures posted on it and it's MUCH easier to POST pictures here than the "other" place I've been causing trouble at.

WOW ... 102.7 here yesterday with humidity in the single digits! Supposed to stop at 93 today - sure hope so, because yesterday was brutal with the Santa Ana winds in full force.

Willie: Welcome back! Looking forward to some nice pics when you get around to it.

GARRY -- I see that those pumpkins survived for another year (lol) I figured that some mischievous kids would have stolen a few by now. I have enjoyed your pics of the Burlington Units and trains.

E -- Hope you're doing well. Fighting the Big C is a bitch Huh? Where's my light saber! Down with "the dark side". The Force will be victorious!

Bruce/new guy/whoever ... good to see you again - I think? LoL Heard that you had a washout on your layout?

Karl - Nice shiny piece of brass you have there. Am I correct that you have two of them?

MEL -- You put NBW's on all those joints on the trestle - Right? Really nice, looking forward to seeing it in place.

Gotta Run for now!

Back