Running Bear's Coffee Shop LVI

Good Morning Everybody. It's a cool 68° with mostly cloudy skies and a light north wind here this morning. Endured another 1.75" of rain yesterday...this time there was runoff. My pond behind the train shed that was empty Thursday is now 85% full. I thought that I had finished the roadbed and track for my flour mill yesterday, when I decided to extend the outbound "loads" track by a bit to accommodate a "spent-grain" hopper. No biggie, I just need to remove a track bumper and add 10" of track. I took pictures for you all, but left the memory card outside. Senior moment!
Garry - Nice scene.
Go Corey Go! - Nice looking model of the station.
Ken - Have a safe trip. Wishing your daughter the best of luck. All three of my kids (and my money) went to various colleges back in 1996-2005 and none moved back home!!!!
Matt - Hello again.
Sherrel - Yes we're having a nice summer, mildest one in many years. But I do look forward to seeing the sun again, as the pool temperature has dipped down to 80°. Not supposed to do this until mid-September.
Eric - Sounds like things are coming together a little. Continued best wishes from me.

Another day in the train shed as it is too wet for outdoor activity. Oh well!!
Everyone have a great day.

Willie

Good morning. It's clear and 72.
Some of you may remember a few weeks ago, when a package for me was misdirected across town. Yesterday, I got a letter from Wells Fargo Mortgage Services, what looks like an important letter. To someone with an entirely different name and address. I looked it up online, and the address is several miles from here. The only similarity in addresses is the zip code, and the address of my house and the address on the envelope both start with "4". Close enough, right?

On an unrelated note, I was offered a new Bowser S12, with dcc and the latest Loksound, for less than the price of the engine by itself. I can't afford it, but for the price... Currently resisting, especially since my wife's diabetes medications just changed, and have again thrown our budget out the window. Sigh...

Came across a Mashima motor for an Athearn Genesis MP15-AC while browsing, is this a good upgrade over the standard Genesis OEM?

Good morning folks. Sunny and low 50's right now. A little taste of fall.

Eleven days in the books for being sober. AA meetings have been a God send for me. I never knew that anger was my biggest trigger. I need to work on that for sure!

A byproduct of being sober is that my trains are moving along nicely. I modified the current building kit I'm working on to fit at an angle to my back drop. Speaking of back drop, I'm still toying with buying one. According to my sober app, I've saved $77 by not drinking. I'm thinking that would make a nice one month gift to myself! Well, it'd be more like five weeks but who's counting(me)?![emoji6]

Thank you to all for your support. I was told to journal and this is the best I'm willing to do on that!

Have a great day everyone.

Edit: airing my clean laundry.
farm003-1.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:
Good morning fellers. Hope everyone is doing well this morning. Looks like going into the future I'll have a case of the Mondays. Scheduled for a DOT physical tomorrow. Those things aren't anything I look forward to. Just remember to turn your head an cough....

Sent from my LGLS675 using Tapatalk

Good morning fellers. Hope everyone is doing well this morning. Looks like going into the future I'll have a case of the Mondays. Scheduled for a DOT physical tomorrow. Those things aren't anything I look forward to. Just remember to turn your head an cough....

I never enjoyed those... A year ago, I put the DOT part of my CDL on hold, because I rarely, if ever, go out of state "for hire" any more. Saved a lot of headaches. My immediate supervisor wanted me to turn in my CDL, just so I wouldn't have to take time away from work to go renew my license every few years. I declined his suggestion... Yes, he's that self-centered. "It doesn't do me any benefit for you to have that license, why don't you just cancel it?"

I never enjoyed those... A year ago, I put the DOT part of my CDL on hold, because I rarely, if ever, go out of state "for hire" any more. Saved a lot of headaches. My immediate supervisor wanted me to turn in my CDL, just so I wouldn't have to take time away from work to go renew my license every few years. I declined his suggestion... Yes, he's that self-centered. "It doesn't do me any benefit for you to have that license, why don't you just cancel it?"
I don't care how much actual driving I do. I've made it to where any job I look at requires me to have a CDL license. That way its justified to keep it current. My great fleet job I have with Pepsi I'm labeled as a Fleet Mechanic though 50% of the time I'm driving somewhere to either drop off or pick up something. Its no secret drivers make more than a typical mechanic does. Ah yes the grease monkey who can drive a tractor trailer is cheaper to send than a driver. I wouldn't be a driver for Pepsi. Their job is more strenuous than my job. They definitely earn their keep that's for sure.

I've kept my CDL up for years without needing it. My current employer paid for my physical in case the need me to "go out in a service truck". Here are a couple photos of what I've been up to latlely.
acd07769a11a36b1ed18d8fe4991b194.jpg

The next one shows how well the truck doesn't fit in my driveway.
4f2cec52e508abd1463e95002d26c403.jpg

It has been a nice change of pace from working in the shop, but with winter coming I hope they get some more help found. I don't like the cold[emoji2] !

Sent from my SM-N920R4 using Tapatalk

Ah yes. Thurmond in beautiful West by god Virginia! Two northbound C&O units.
c6879e5a8bb431435c398ac0672d674a.jpg

Makes me want some solid blue C&O units. I have two but I definitely don't have any C&O GP9s or GP7s on my roster.

Nice photo there, Chessie!

Corey - I'm proud of you! My daughter is off this morning to her AA meeting. The G Kids and (most important) Spousal unit and I have survived the week. ONE down, ONE to go -- then the dogs can come out of hiding- LOL.
That's a nice scene you have of airing out the laundry - keep airing - we're here.

Mel -- Think I forgot to comment on your passenger train photo? That's a magazine cover - nicely done.

Morning All -- 92 and clear again today! Have to clean out the RV and move it from in front of my house otherwise I will catch the wrath of the dreaded homeowners association.
It's a mess!

OH, and MATT -- I like your truck. Whatever that big machine is - looks interesting?
I made the mistake of giving up my CDL many, many years ago. There has been several times that I wish that I still had it.
If you have it - Hang on to it!

Good morning. It's clear and 72.
Some of you may remember a few weeks ago, when a package for me was misdirected across town. Yesterday, I got a letter from Wells Fargo Mortgage Services, what looks like an important letter. To someone with an entirely different name and address. I looked it up online, and the address is several miles from here. The only similarity in addresses is the zip code, and the address of my house and the address on the envelope both start with "4". Close enough, right?

On an unrelated note, I was offered a new Bowser S12, with dcc and the latest Loksound, for less than the price of the engine by itself. I can't afford it, but for the price... Currently resisting, especially since my wife's diabetes medications just changed, and have again thrown our budget out the window. Sigh...
Terry I recently read on Facebook (as if that were reliable) that our Dundalk Post office lost/mishandled whatever mail from 2 days in early July. Supposedly it was so bad that the water department was not charging late fees to customers who mailed their payments from the 21222 post office. I only mail one check a month and I always do it before the end of the month so I can not confirm or deny this ever happened.

My point is even the post office is human and humans make mistakes, some more that others.

As for tempting train purchases; I feel you brother! I wish Chet would start a support group (Train Buyers Anonymous) to share his discipline.

Good morning folks. Sunny and low 50's right now. A little taste of fall.

Eleven days in the books for being sober. AA meetings have been a God send for me. I never knew that anger was my biggest trigger. I need to work on that for sure!

A byproduct of being sober is that my trains are moving along nicely. I modified the current building kit I'm working on to fit at an angle to my back drop. Speaking of back drop, I'm still toying with buying one. According to my sober app, I've saved $77 by not drinking. I'm thinking that would make a nice one month gift to myself! Well, it'd be more like five weeks but who's counting(me)?![emoji6]

Thank you to all for your support. I was told to journal and this is the best I'm willing to do on that!

Have a great day everyone.

Edit: airing my clean laundry.
farm003-1.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Keep it up, you are the MAN!

I don't know if I have shared this before or not, but I will risk it. :) My mother has told me that her father, my grandfather use to say "I don't drink, I don't smoke, I buy trains"

Guys it could be worse, I had to turn in my CDL because I could not pass the physical, but don't feel sorry for me, I am the happiest man in the world! It's better to be lucky rather than good any day and I am living proof!

I've kept my CDL up for years without needing it. My current employer paid for my physical in case the need me to "go out in a service truck". Here are a couple photos of what I've been up to latlely.
acd07769a11a36b1ed18d8fe4991b194.jpg

The next one shows how well the truck doesn't fit in my driveway.
4f2cec52e508abd1463e95002d26c403.jpg

It has been a nice change of pace from working in the shop, but with winter coming I hope they get some more help found. I don't like the cold[emoji2] !

Matt I don't see any outriggers, what is the capacity of that boom?

Ah yes. Thurmond in beautiful West by god Virginia! Two northbound C&O units.
c6879e5a8bb431435c398ac0672d674a.jpg

Makes me want some solid blue C&O units. I have two but I definitely don't have any C&O GP9s or GP7s on my roster.

Great photo, but it would be better if the C&O was B&O :)

That is God's country! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UNoZtIPWpyE

The truck isn't mine, it belongs to the temporary service manager, but I have been using it because we are so busy. We are looking for a new full time service manager so the temporary one can get back in his truck. I can't complain about the job at all though it is what I would call the best truck in the fleet at our store anyway. Only issue I have is no satellite radio.
The truck has hydraulic outriggers at the rear and manual ones at the front of the body. It is a 10,000 pound capacity crane. The machine is a HSI rock crusher with screen on one chassis.

Louis- Great historical pictures. The loco you had the question about is a Fairbanks-Morse H10-44. They built 195 of them between 1944-1950. The Pennsy had 55 of them. They had 1000 HP and could reach speeds up to 60 mph.

I'm glad you enjoyed the photos Curt, it's good to repay you even a little bit for all your great photos!

That is a great looking beast!

Thank you Louis! She's our youngest,the "baby" of the family. Highest achiever academically, but also the least mature. We're hoping she'll adapt ok to her new surroundings.

Ken I would tell you "don't worry", but I know that is next to impossible for a good dad like you.

Louis: The B&O also used the FM switchers, there were always several working at B&O Bay View.

My Reading Baldwin VO1000 arrived last Wednesday, and I've been running it back and forth on my unfinished layout. By unfinished, I literally mean a stretch of unsecure track, and no roadbed. Nice thing about Micro Engineering flex is that once it is curved, it holds the curve, allowing me to do this. Meanwhile, I was able to rehang one of the bi-fold doors, yesterday. that leaves three sections to go. i did get a late start.

Enjoy your Sunday.

Thank you Boris, I love when you share your first hand experience with the trains that are practically in my backyard or more like practically front yard in this case. As you know I am less then 10 minutes from the Bayview Hump.

We are so lucky to have a retired Trainmaster on board :)

If I ever do a realistic model, one or both of the Bayview yards will be high on my list! I drive by Norfolk Southern on Rolling Mill Rd. every Sunday morning on the way to the grocery store. There is usually 2 engines at the fuel island.

Now I want a FM switcher! I am going to suggest a B&O or B&O Chessie to Lionel, like they listen to me.

It's probably just a coincidence, but the last time I suggested more B&O to Lionel they came out with several B&O models in the next 2 catalogs. I like to think I have some pull ;)

You got 1 bi-fold door done, that is progress, be happy!

JOE and LOUIS The FRISCO had several of those.
RR guys referred to them as Singer Sewing Machines due to the unique sound they made.

FM H10-44 #281Tulsa, OK June73.JPG

Attachments

• 1618-9.JPG
    1618-9.JPG
    45.8 KB · Views: 203
Terry I recently read on Facebook (as if that were reliable) that our Dundalk Post office lost/mishandled whatever mail from 2 days in early July. Supposedly it was so bad that the water department was not charging late fees to customers who mailed their payments from the 21222 post office. I only mail one check a month and I always do it before the end of the month so I can not confirm or deny this ever happened.

My point is even the post office is human and humans make mistakes, some more that others.

As for tempting train purchases; I feel you brother! I wish Chet would start a support group (Train Buyers Anonymous) to share his discipline.

Keep it up, you are the MAN!

I don't know if I have shared this before or not, but I will risk it. :) My mother has told me that her father, my grandfather use to say "I don't drink, I don't smoke, I buy trains"

Guys it could be worse, I had to turn in my CDL because I could not pass the physical, but don't feel sorry for me, I am the happiest man in the world! It's better to be lucky rather than good any day and I am living proof!

Matt I don't see any outriggers, what is the capacity of that boom?

Great photo, but it would be better if the C&O was B&O :)

That is God's country! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UNoZtIPWpyE
That's something I don't have a lot of. B&O engines. I had a GP30 but unlike my Athearn engines it shattered when it became a floor model. As did my Western Maryland GP40. Love the song though.

Afternoon All,

This morning I put gas in the car and got some cash in preparation for the Daytona odyssey with Phil. On the MRR front I put some more ground cover on some rock faces (recommended by MOH) and I made up some more signage (4 No Smoking at Oil depot and 2 warning that the bridge was an active RR bridge).

Ray- Nice video.

Terry- I hope things work out for you financially so you can get the loco you want.

Corey- Great job on the not drinking. Awesome scene. Is the cow chewing on the sheet?

Matt- I thought seriously about getting a CDL after high school, but I wanted to serve in the military for a couple of years first, and then decided to stay in because I enjoyed it.

Louis- Great song. To me it's all about missing your family, home and country when you are far away.

Sherrel- Is that your layout? The cleanup at the end is what I always disliked about camping...especially if it had been raining.

Back