Running Bear's Coffee Shop LV

I think you did the right thing Terry. I rarely sell on ebay, but I occasionally buy and pay close attention to the sellers rating.

cmon you guys...imagine how much of our country was build without these, including the first railroads!!

The issue is we are so used to the modern conveniences that we can't imagine living without them.

I homesteaded for 4 years in the backwoods with a hand pump and wood stove. After you get "set up" properly, it is a very low stress life style. of course, women have a REAL problem with that!!!!!!

LASM you are absolutely right! Most of us have grown soft from being spoiled with modern conveniences, I know I have.

My wife was born in a small village outside of Kecskemet Hungary. She was born more then 21 years after the war they still had not replaced all the infrastructure the Russians had stolen. She grew up with no indoor plumbing and no electric. Before the war they had all the modern conveniences. Austria & Hungary were far ahead of most of the world.

Beginning in 1945 the Russians stole everything and anything. If it was bolted down they would go to any lengths to get it up. They would cut the concrete floors around what ever they could not get up and lift it out with a crane if they had to.

Her Mom and late Dad could tell you some stories of the occupation and make no mistake it was an occupation. After the uprising in 1956 it got even worse. They tell me when people complained or protested "the black car" came in the middle of the night and the offender was never seen again.

We Americans and everyone born on the right side of the "Iron Curtain" have no idea how lucky we are.

My wife was not worried in the least about the impending hurricane. She said "it's only water, we will dry out" I guess anything is better then "the black car"

When I last went to Hungary in 2006 everything was much the same as here. All the modern conveniences have been restored. Freedom had returned as well. Only the people are still different. Very quiet and polite, even smaller. They were fascinated by me the big loud mouthed American. My youngest daughter reminded us, "this is not America" I told her "its ok honey, we are Americans and the Hungarians understand"

The Hungarians are the nicest people I have ever met. Every where I went, even to the mall, they treated me like an honored guest. They never look at you or speak to you, unless you speak to them. Then everyone I spoke to smiled and was so happy to talk to me. My Hungarian (Magyar) is terrible but they did not care. They smile and say "ok". I was surprised by how many speak English. It's a good thing because I can speak much Hungarian other then to order food and I love Hungarian food!

After all my rambling on my point is almost lost. My point is people who know hardship and sacrifice appreciate things more and take less for granted.

Vertical lath going slow.
Going behind these rock was slow and tedious. A bunch of horizontal ones came loose so I had to re-glue and clamp a bunch as you can see on the right hand side. Looks like I'll have just one more run before I'm clear of the rocks and can finish this part of the process off pretty quick.
Actually, I don't mind slowing down for a day. Besides catching up on sleep, it gives me time for more planning in my head.
It's not likely I'm going to place any more castings for now. I may add some later but for now I'm just going to cover the thing with plaster cloth once the ribbing is all in place.
In case I never mentioned, the height of that backing where the LED string is about 18-20" tall.
~

Attachments

• PA020028.jpg
    PA020028.jpg
    202.9 KB · Views: 160
It died last Friday and still no hot water.

What I was a fool to take for granted was that when people do things they expect to get paid for they actually perform the task in a timely manner!

I hope for their sake they are not on angies list cause I'm gonna rip em a new one on there!

When I go looking for an actual PLUMBER!

Them saying they MIGHT get the maker to kick us one gratis made us give em a little slack, that slack has been used up!

Vertical lath going slow.
Going behind these rock was slow and tedious. A bunch of horizontal ones came loose so I had to re-glue and clamp a bunch as you can see on the right hand side. Looks like I'll have just one more run before I'm clear of the rocks and can finish this part of the process off pretty quick.
Actually, I don't mind slowing down for a day. Besides catching up on sleep, it gives me time for more planning in my head.
It's not likely I'm going to place any more castings for now. I may add some later but for now I'm just going to cover the thing with plaster cloth once the ribbing is all in place.
In case I never mentioned, the height of that backing where the LED string is about 18-20" tall.
~

My Sis was over again this morning egging on the layout, all haired up to do scenery! I guess I'll not have to worry about that! She began designing a mountain for the 'middle' section. She liked the pics of your work that I showed her.

My Sis was over again this morning egging on the layout, all haired up to do scenery! I guess I'll not have to worry about that! She began designing a mountain for the 'middle' section. She liked the pics of your work that I showed her.

Sounds Great!!! My siblings do not get my railroad at all. Luckily, my wife is supportive!

Greetings gentlemen....
That's me back in the UK again....
Back from Sweden, visiting parents and close friends, which always include one of my best friends....I still miss you buddy!

IMG_20150928_144519.jpg

I hope you all are doing well, my friends....

It died last Friday and still no hot water.

What I was a fool to take for granted was that when people do things they expect to get paid for they actually perform the task in a timely manner!

I hope for their sake they are not on angies list cause I'm gonna rip em a new one on there!

When I go looking for an actual PLUMBER!

Them saying they MIGHT get the maker to kick us one gratis made us give em a little slack, that slack has been used up!

No hot water. Did you ever hear of FIRE laugh.gif You should really try to get the situation fixed. banghead_125.gif

Remember, happy wife, happy life.

It can really be frustrating to find reliable people. When you, don't lose their number.

Would you believe, it's 50°, out there and very windy, with a heavy rain. Heat's on too. Just last Tuesday, it was 82°, and the air conditioning was on. Just nasty outside.

I did manage to clean up the garage. I also got another coat of earth color on the surface of the module(s). probably won't do anything until I get back from our trip.

2 Lessons learned!

A none too gentle prodding gets results!

Strategic "Exasperated Silence" can do wonders!

A two day MAX job took a week. Nope, sorry next time I know who NOT to call!

Good afternoon fellow Gandy Dancers,
Hi Flo and Francine, So ladies, how is everything down at Jeffreys' dinner today? Oh really, Garry brought in a couple of dozen doughnuts and they are free for the taking are they - well I'll have a crum one and a maple bar. Thanks Garry much appreciated!

It's Clear alright with a beautiful blue sky, 72.5 °F - feels Like 77 °F;
Winds are from the SSW at 6.3 mph, well it's sure calm at my place right now;
Hum-i-dity is at 47%;
The Barometer reads 29.94 in/Hg.

David ... Thanks for all of the comments. .... The iron fence in front is cast white metal (Maybe Alloy Forms) ... Chain link fence is made from old household window screen.

Let's not forget "Dawg", the junk yard dog.

scrapyardE.jpg

Some junk vehicles

scrapyard7.jpg

GE 44T moving a gon.

GE44Tscrapyarrd_zps28470025.jpg

Say Garry: I didn't realize the fence on the right and left in the pic showing the 44 ton GE Diesel were by Alloy forms, that's interesting fencing alright. Is it actually metal or plastic like Grandt line?

The use of window screen is also interesting but a little to modern for my turn of the Century time peiod I think. Well after looking it up Chain Link fencing is even correct for my turn of the Century 1890's to 1900 layout.

>Anchor Fence (established in 1898) bought the rights to the machine and was the first American company to manufacture chain-link fencing in the United States. Anchor Fence also holds the first United States patent of chain-link. The machine was purchased from a man in 1845 from Belgium who originally invented the wire bending machine.[citation needed]<

Weathering the Rail:
The other thing I was really interested in Garry, was how you managed to achheive the very accurate rust weathering of the rail in the GE 44 Toner shot?

We do take so many of todays conveniences for granted. We didn't have many when I was growing up. When I was ery young, we didn't even have running water. We had a hand pump in the pump room. Always kept a jar of water by the deep sink to wet the leathers in the morning. An out house too, a 2 holer. when I was about 7 we hit the jackpot. An electric pump and a water heater was installed in a new addition my dad built and we had an inside bathroom.

We cooked on a wood burning stove until I was about 10 when we finally had a propane tank installed, but for some reason food cooked on the wood stove always tasted better. My mom still used the wood stove for any big meals and family get togethers.

TV - didn't get one until the late 50's. The huge cabinet with a screen about the size of one of todays tablets. Got one channel, two if the wind was blowing in the right direction.

We did have a telephone, on a party line with three other people. I still have the old phone, a 2 piece unit similar to what you would find in old railroad depots. No way to dial out. You would have to click the receiver a number of times to get the operators attention.

I think we're spoiled today.

Say Cheht: Too many sure are spoiled these days and rely too much on the conveniences we have. While I have a hard rock water well and a submersible pump which is electric powered I'm going to have a hard time is the power goes out
when I don't have a generator, so it a good thing I just brought the thought to mind again.

cmon you guys...imagine how much of our country was build without these, including the first railroads!!

The issue is we are so used to the modern conveniences that we can't imagine living without them.

I homesteaded for 4 years in the backwoods with a hand pump and wood stove. After you get "set up" properly, it is a very low stress life style. of course, women have a REAL problem with that!!!!!!

I have "hand washed" dishes my entire life!! Since being married (last 20 years) we usually do them together. She washes and I dry. It is kind of a bonding exercise.

We went so far as to remove the automatic dishwasher from the house we purchased last year to make more storage space, replacing it with a drawyer cabinet unit.

Good afternoon. It's (still!!!) raining, and 53.
I expect to hear back from Ebay soon about the deadbeat seller. He has not only refused to respond o me, he is also refusing to respond to Ebay. I left appropriate feedback for him, after waiting all this time for him to make it right. A 0 feedback rating, with 50% negative, is pretty much the kiss of death.

Say David: I never lived in the back woods like you but have done a fair amount of wilderness back-packing on my own as well as in Boy Scouts. It does cause you to find ways of meeting your needs alright.

Greetings gentlemen....
That's me back in the UK again....
Back from Sweden, visiting parents and close friends, which always include one of my best friends....I still miss you buddy!

View attachment 52738

I hope you all are doing well, my friends....

Say Milwaukee: Sorry about the loss of your friend and only 12.5 years too. It made me remember a child hood friend I lost too who was also about that age, Rusty Shaw, God rest his soul.

No hot water. Did you ever hear of FIRE View attachment 52739 You should really try to get the situation fixed. View attachment 52740

Remember, happy wife, happy life.

It can really be frustrating to find reliable people. When you, don't lose their number.

I'm dealing with a VERY unhappy wife AND an autistic teenager who wants to take a HOT shower and the reasons he can't are WEAK!

If they had not fixed the problem mere moments ago there would have been a new one down here tomorrow and I don't care who or how much it would have cost, it was getting BEYOND ridiculous!!!

Evening All,

Worked again on the pool and sprayed off the pool deck for the kids tomorrow. Looking forward to the train show with my Dad tomorrow. It's about an hour drive from my house. We also went grocery shopping today mainly for treats for the kids. I actually got a chance to run a coal drag for about 30 minutes today..it was fun. I really like the longer H21's instead of the shorter Pennsy hoppers.

I have had a turnout for a passing siding that about 50% of the time causes a derailment that I have been meaning to look at (don't use it very often). I knew it is level and in gauge so today when I was having issues I happened to standing over it watching and had an epiphany. I had placed a detail metal casting of a pnuemo hydraulic switch machine too close to the left outer rail that was causing the derailments. I moved it back a little bit and Viola! I could run through the switch both ways at 50 smph. I'm glad it was an easy fix.

Garry- Like I have said before-Your modeling is impeccable.

20151002_143118_zpshc8vttfu.jpg

I hope everyone has a great night.

I'll be glad to be with this crap - hopefully tomorrow.
I'm getting downright sick and tired of getting that scalding hot glue on my fingers!!!!
However, I am almost there. Just taking my time.
Don't worry about the height of the verticals. Only a couple of them are actually stuck down and that was just to get them out of my way.
But the thing is actually looking like it's really becoming something now. So far the shape is pretty much exactly what I've envisioning for some time.
I'm toying around with some possible cliffs (rock face) up top but not sure how to go about it - for now, or should I say "yet". I seem to always figure things out on my own anyway it would appear.
Doesn't look so scattered and chaotic now does it NG? :D
Once I get all the shell covered and it cures out I may break out the molds again and cast some in place - just to say I can and have done it.
Really, I'd just as soon have all the ribbing work be done with! Looks like I'll need to cut some more to finish it off. I have plenty for that!
Here is the way I left it PA020028_1.jpgPA020029.jpgfor the night:

Good evening. It's (still) raining, and 51.
Ebay has refunded my money, and the problem seller is no longer a registered user.
I've been involved with many hurricanes over the years, but this one will be the first I remember where the temperature is going be be below 60 degrees.

Back in the olden days of yore, when dinosaurs roamed the Earth, I lived in Kentucky. I lived in an old farmhouse with 6 bedrooms, 4 fireplaces, an outhouse, and a hand pump in the kitchen sink. I would heat bath water on the wood burning stove. There was a bathtub, with of course no faucets, but it did have a drain that ended up in a ditch heading down the hill into the woods.

Good evening. It's (still) raining, and 51.
Ebay has refunded my money, and the problem seller is no longer a registered user.
I've been involved with many hurricanes over the years, but this one will be the first I remember where the temperature is going be be below 60 degrees.

Back in the olden days of yore, when dinosaurs roamed the Earth, I lived in Kentucky. I lived in an old farmhouse with 6 bedrooms, 4 fireplaces, an outhouse, and a hand pump in the kitchen sink. I would heat bath water on the wood burning stove. There was a bathtub, with of course no faucets, but it did have a drain that ended up in a ditch heading down the hill into the woods.

We are now living in the 21st Century again as far as water goes.

Got the whole back wall finished off!
WIN_20151002_214457.JPGI'm DOING it and cannot believe I'm doing it!

I'll be glad to be with this crap - hopefully tomorrow.
I'm getting downright sick and tired of getting that scalding hot glue on my fingers!!!!
However, I am almost there. Just taking my time.
Don't worry about the height of the verticals. Only a couple of them are actually stuck down and that was just to get them out of my way.
But the thing is actually looking like it's really becoming something now. So far the shape is pretty much exactly what I've envisioning for some time.
I'm toying around with some possible cliffs (rock face) up top but not sure how to go about it - for now, or should I say "yet". I seem to always figure things out on my own anyway it would appear.
Doesn't look so scattered and chaotic now does it NG? :D
Once I get all the shell covered and it cures out I may break out the molds again and cast some in place - just to say I can and have done it.
Really, I'd just as soon have all the ribbing work be done with! Looks like I'll need to cut some more to finish it off. I have plenty for that!
Here is the way I left it View attachment 52744View attachment 52743for the night:

You have inspired me, plus I'm thinking a tunnel with a STURDY outside wall at the part of the layout closest to where people come down the stairs will give any stumblers something to bounce off of or put a hand on to steady themselves. Only gonna be about 4-5 feet from the bottom of the stairs to the layout.

Now that I've got some real bench to start eyeballing, the mountain is beginning to take shape, some slopes leading up to a 4x4 flat area on the top or side for an industry either logging or mining.....or both.

You kids need to remember to leave a way to retrieve stalled/derailed equipment from inside those tunnels. A rod, reel, and fish hook are not generally considered wreck removal equipment.

You kids need to remember to leave a way to retrieve stalled/derailed equipment from inside those tunnels. A rod, reel, and fish hook are not generally considered wreck removal equipment.

Really man? Most of my entire backing is cutout. Depending on how stable it is once I get shell on the entire thing I may cut some more out. Everything is easily accessible from the back. At least it is given my smaller stature. Actually, I doubt many of you all would be able to fit in the space between the back and the wall. It's even cramped for little ole me. There hasn't been any track issues on that backstretch in a really long time so I'm not so worried about that. God help me if something serious comes up though. I've tried to leave myself as much room as possible and also why I put that strip of LEDs in there in case I need to something.

Nighty night all.
Catch you'ns tomorrow.
BTW Terry, that pic of me on the overhang is in Yancey just off Hwy 80 South heading south out of Micaville heading towards Celo. That big range behind me is the 7 Mile Ridge coming from Mt. Mitchell heading NNW toward the Pensacola [NC] area.

E.

Back