Running Bear's Coffee Shop LII

Got some more work done today.
Pulled up all the tape from yesterday ground covering effort.
Put the trees and buildings back. One of the buildings needs some tightening on the joints so I glued it some. After it sets up I'll go light-proof it and paint the roof.
Swapped out couplers on some inter-modal cars I have so now they are finally compatible with everything else.
I don't know how much Kaydee pays people to put those teeny springs in the knuckles but I can almost promise it's not enough.
They must make a special tweezer just for that task. Man, talk about a patience tester!!!
Thank God I have a magnifier hood. No way I could have fixed those using reading glasses.

Having managed to figure out how to put those little springs back, if any of you guys have some Kaydee couplers with missing springs, don't throw them out. I'll take them.
E
Putting those springs in is easy, using a #11 exacto blade. Takes about thirty seconds or so.

Putting those springs in is easy, using a #11 exacto blade. Takes about thirty seconds or so.

How? I asked about his once some time ago but no one ever answered me.
I used some really small needle-point tweezers.

How? I asked about his once some time ago but no one ever answered me.
I used some really small needle-point tweezers.

"cut" the spring with the exacto knife. Just place the blade between a couple coils in the spring and you can maneuver it to wherever you want it.

"cut" the spring with the exacto knife. Just place the blade between a couple coils in the spring and you can maneuver it to wherever you want it.

Well.... that sounds a far sight easier than trying to pick them up with tweezers!!!
It was ok once I got a hold of them.

Good morning ballast tampers and spike pounder's,
Hi Flo & Francine, how is everything here at the dinner? Things seem to be a bit quiet during the summer time. I'll have a couple of eggs scrambeled and cooked fairly welld, some Itialian sausage slices, an English Muffen and some coffee and creme, oh it on the counter here. Thanks

Lets see what WW has to say:

Clear at 87.6 °F- Feels Like 87 °F

Winds are from the West at 6.8 mph and keeping things cool and comfortable.

Humidity is at ?
Barometer ?

Good morning, we have 60 and sunny. Very light breeze, it is a beautiful day. The smoke has not made it here yet. half way? I thought you were almost done! I guess I will have to read a little more carefully!

There is a fairly large fire burning to the East and Northh of me by about 25 miles. Willow Fire now 5,702 Acres, is 70 percent contained. It sure smelled smoky at my place last night, guess the wind was blowing just right.

Good afternoon. It's 86 and mostly sunny, with a good chance of yellowjackets.
I was weedeating earlier, and unfortunately discovered a nest of them. I'm loaded up on the anti-swelling stuff, but still swollen, and painful. The weedeater is still laying where I dropped it, the little SOBs chased me all the way around the house. I'll go back after dark, and retrieve the tool. Funny thing, I've been watching that area all day, and still haven't seen the first bug flying around there. You don't suppose I gave them all rabies, and they died?

Fortunately I have never had a run-in with them but it doesn't sound fun. I think I would raised the weed eater up with the string wirling around as fast as it would go and tried to nail as many of the suckers as possibly!

How about pouring some Bleach down their nest or Amonia? I have a fairly large Red ant nest on my driveway, it's the usual round ring of dirt from the nest, fortunately down near the road about 350' away. I might try some Bleach on them to see what affect the chlorine gas has on them unless someone else knows of a better trick?

As far as the Hornets, go, when I was back handling my Late Aunts Estate in Mass. I saw what is probably the largest Hornets around, they were about ten times larger than the Hornets/Yellow Jackets I've seen in Calif. The overall length of these bee's was probably about 2.25" to 2.5", I didn't actually measure the one I nailed with a board but the sucker was hugh. The only other large Wasps I have here in Calif are Tarantula Hawks, a fairly large Bluish Black Wasp with bright Orange wings. They seem fairly friendly and only pray on the large Spiders.

The nest is at the inner end of a vent for my fuel oil tank. It is too long for the spray stuff to reach, and I don't think it would be smart to use a flamethrower in there...

View attachment 51341

Guess we'll get the coffee started today. Starting off at 51 degrees with a lot of smoke in the valley from forest fires.

Couldn't get to my computer over the weekend because of all of the construction tools and materials in the room. Completed the last of the flooring in the first flooring project. Still have tile to be put down in the foyer and master bathroom and new flooring in the master bedroom. Got all of the old trim removed and all of the new trim and baseboards installed over the weekend. The project is over half way done.

That sure sounds like you've been very busy Chet, removing the old molding and replacing it with new isn't an easy task. Un doubtedly your wore Knee pads for that as well laying the new floor tile. I have some and they come in handy if your inclined to get down on the floor looking for a RR part you've dropped as I have done quite often through the years. That's why I made myself a work shelf to straddle the open main old desk drawer as well as the smaller one to the Right of it. It's 12.25" x 32" with edges on both side and the back that are 1" above the work surface and a front board that is 1/4" high to prevent things from rolling off. This seems to be the answer to a convenient work space although it's cluttered to with some small box kit box tops which are holding various things to try and keep some organization.

I hope everyone has a good day!

View attachment 51341

Guess we'll get the coffee started today. Starting off at 51 degrees with a lot of smoke in the valley from forest fires.

Couldn't get to my computer over the weekend because of all of the construction tools and materials in the room. Completed the last of the flooring in the first flooring project. Still have tile to be put down in the foyer and master bathroom and new flooring in the master bedroom. Got all of the old trim removed and all of the new trim and baseboards installed over the weekend. The project is over half way done.
Awesome amount of work, I know the feeling, we put as much into remodeling as this place cost.(foreclosure) Felt sorry for the guy that lost it, he put a huge amount of work into it, shelving built in all OVER this house, he built my work bench! (with shelves that are ready made to be filled with rolling stock and Engines!) LOL

All that floor work reminds me, I must get a creeper, getting under all this bench I'm supposed to be building to wire it is not something I want to do on the old knees, not going to be putting carpet down, just rugs and pads to stand on so a creeper will work.

All that floor work reminds me, I must get a creeper, getting under all this bench I'm supposed to be building to wire it is not something I want to do on the old knees, not going to be putting carpet down, just rugs and pads to stand on so a creeper will work.

Might want to consider one of those sit-down creepers instead of lay-down type.
Those little stool ones are about the size of a milk crate. Perfect height for working on car brakes.
E

I think he meant he was almost done getting all the space opened up and cleaned and ready for some framing before actual table construction begins.

LOL No, HE's GOT a layout and is remodeling his house I'M remodeling my house and ABOUT to build a layout! LOL

That's what I do , too. Place the blade in between the coils towards the middle, pick it up and put one end in the coupler. I use a very small precision flat screwdriver blade to help the other end into the coupler. Easy- peasey.
Terry in NW Wisconsin

Might want to consider one of those sit-down creepers instead of lay-down type.
Those little stool ones are about the size of a milk crate. Perfect height for working on car brakes.
E

That's what I'm thinkin, don't need a regular car type, need to be a bit closer to the action, the table will be at 3', pre-plan consideration to be able to reach every part of layout without too much far-reaching above AND below. I may end up with "acres and acres" of ho scale space but I still have to be able to 'manipulate' it and get to all the wires.

That's what I'm thinkin, don't need a regular car type, need to be a bit closer to the action, the table will be at 3', pre-plan consideration to be able to reach every part of layout without too much far-reaching above AND below. I may end up with "acres and acres" of ho scale space but I still have to be able to 'manipulate' it and get to all the wires.

Top of my deck is only 30". On 6' x7' I can reach middle ok. I'm only 5'8" so I didn't want anything very tall anyway.
Another neat idea I did for under the table, was to string up a big strand of those outdoor LED rope lights. Gives me all the lighting I need even with the room lights turned out.
E.

Have to try the knife blade next time (I've got the KD tool). I find it best to place it between the coils nearest to one end of the spring (2/3rds, 1/3rd) and then put the long end onto the fixed locating peg, compress the spring and that makes it easier to get the short end onto the knuckle's peg.

I use a very small screwdriver. I'll put it in the middle of the spring and get it on one of the little Tits (I'm president of the itty bitty tittie committee) and then get the other end on the other. Kadee does sell a spring tool, or at least they used to.

Evenin' folks! Quite a bit of discussion about how to replace the knuckle spring on a KayDee - I find it so much easier to actually do than to try to explain it.

I've been out in the trainroom on-and-off at various times throughout the evening, doing practice runs of the trains I plan to have in my op session. I always do this before each op session to (1) make sure the moves are "doable" and (2) to identify and fix or replace any malfunctioning locos/rolling stock. So far I've had to swap-out the trucks on two of my favorite cars that were derailment-prone. At least I can claim success on one important test: I was able to switch and move 3 fully-loaded open auto racks over all sorts of trackwork, both pulling and shoving. Totally unthinkable 20 years ago...

Good morning. It's 74, and still dark.

Wow Really?
It's only 66 here right now. I'd have figured you guys to be about the same or even a little cooler.
I'm heading to store right now before the heat gets here.
Suppose to hit 97 later.
E.

Last edited by a moderator:
God morning. Starting off at 64 degrees this morning. This is a lot warmer than normal, but it is overcast. Finally got my computer desk cleared off to th epoint where I can us it so I'll work from home today.

Ken - Sure makes a difference when all of the track work is up to snuff. When I was building my yard in Logan, I was pushing long trains, 20 or so cars through every turnout and track to try to find any trouble spots. I even used some cars that were way lighter than they should have been and was happy that there were no problems at all (except when the operator had a switch thrown the wrong way). Sure makes a big difference for operating sessions. Hope everything goes well.

Hit the Big Lake at Grand Haven yesterday! Nice! Coming out of the park and saw a HUGE old (oil-steamer?) parked at a park. 6 foot drivers on the thing AWESOME!!! Some vintage cabooses in excellent shape and a mint lookin boxcar! When the 'old lady's' sunburn eases to where she is capable of interacting with other human beings, I will have her download the pics into my laptop. Right now 'her Ladyship' is unapproachable! LOL

I re-sprayed that sun-screen on every 10 minutes and I'm fine! Just one application does not cut it when you are out in the sun ALL DAY!

Top of my deck is only 30". On 6' x7' I can reach middle ok. I'm only 5'8" so I didn't want anything very tall anyway.
Another neat idea I did for under the table, was to string up a big strand of those outdoor LED rope lights. Gives me all the lighting I need even with the room lights turned out.
E.

Great minds at work again! Last night I was talking the VERY subject with 'the carpenter', under table LED lighting! HE added that a DISCO BALL might be a nice touch! I don't think he was serious but I AM!!! Too late now, Disco Ball it IS!!! I can see it now... Room lights out, LED's on, Disco Ball goin, headlights gleamin and flashin! WOO WOO, it's the SOOOOOOUL TRAAAAAAIN!!!! LOL

Back