Running Bear's Coffee Shop LII

Most excellent! The smile on your face says it all! Dang it, now I gotta get one! LOL

It's a Syma X5C. Here you go:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00MNG37C2?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=od_aui_detailpages00
Only $50.
It's about 14" across and light as a feather.
It weighs about the same as my Syma S107G helo which is about 1/3 the size.

I recommend going ahead and buying the extra batteries. The only last about 7 minutes on a full charge.
They are USB re-chargeable and the cable comes with it.

Warning: it was NOT easy learning to fly! It wasn't for me anyway.
After you get good with it, you'll think the helos are for babies.
The directions are not very clear. So you may want to hit me for questions now that I finally got it all figured out.
Eg: it doesn't mention a dam thing about how to get videos off the chip or in fact where the dam chip is to begin with.

Happy flying!!
E.

It's a Syma X5C. Here you go:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00MNG37C2?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=od_aui_detailpages00
Only $50.
It's about 14" across and light as a feather.
It weighs about the same as my Syma S107G helo which is about 1/3 the size.

I recommend going ahead and buying the extra batteries. The only last about 7 minutes on a full charge.
They are USB re-chargeable and the cable comes with it.

Warning: it was NOT easy learning to fly! It wasn't for me anyway.
After you get good with it, you'll think the helos are for babies.
The directions are not very clear. So you may want to hit me for questions now that I finally got it all figured out.
Eg: it doesn't mention a dam thing about how to get videos off the chip or in fact where the dam chip is to begin with.

Happy flying!!
E.

Given it some thought and don't want to get too deep into RC. Just using these to pass a little time before the 'store' arrives and I'll be hip-deep in the layout. I'll use em on those days when I get sic of staring at ties. That's about it. Could only fly outside around here a few months a year. Come the snow, I'll be in the 'hole' gluing my feet to my shoes and making other rookie mistakes.

Most excellent! The smile on your face says it all! Dang it, now I gotta get one! LOL

I suppose I do kind of look like the cat that just ate the bird don't I.
I'm generally a fairly emotion-less person but like I said, that was one of the best flights I've ever had and this time I had the video to prove it!!
Next time maybe I'll style it up and strap on my aviator Ray-Bans and Navy Top Gun hat. Actually it's pretty rare to see me without a hat on anywhere.

OUCH! Almost as bad as having a brain dead nurse put the blood pressure cuff on the arm that had a broken finger on the end of it, WOW!!! THAT HURT!!!
(dumb broad got it on me FAST and hit the button before I could say, STOP!!!)

That good V.A. healthcare!

Give her credit for being fast...

Given it some thought and don't want to get too deep into RC. Just using these to pass a little time before the 'store' arrives and I'll be hip-deep in the layout. I'll use em on those days when I get sic of staring at ties. That's about it. Could only fly outside around here a few months a year. Come the snow, I'll be in the 'hole' gluing my feet to my shoes and making other rookie mistakes.

If that's the case, then do what I did. Build a helo-pad for the layout. That blinking circuit I made was just for the landing lights. Building the circuit board was as far I got with it so far.
Word of advice, don't try to land on it after copious amounts of adult-beverages!!!! Might be why there is that pilot saying about "8 hours from bottle to throttle" - ya think. :rolleyes:
I did make a video of that night but before going public with it I decided I better not publish it. Everything was going fine. I flew it into the room, orbited the layout once and came into land - then crashed and knocked over every tree in about 3' radius including my floodloading tower. Un-abashed, prolific "Naval jargon" came spewing right out without a thought. I decided that given the rather family-friendliness of our hobbies, you wouldn't know who might watch these videos so I decided best not go public with it.
Fortunately nothing was tacked down so nothing got broke, but I was quite clearly pissed. :cool:
It is kind of funny looking back now.
E.

If that's the case, then do what I did. Build a helo-pad for the layout. That blinking circuit I made was just for the landing lights. Building the circuit board was as far I got with it so far.
Word of advice, don't try to land on it after copious amounts of adult-beverages!!!! Might be why there is that pilot saying about "8 hours from bottle to throttle" - ya think. :rolleyes:
I did make a video of that night but before going public with it I decided I better not publish it. Everything was going fine. I flew it into the room, orbited the layout once and came into land - then crashed and knocked over every tree in about 3' radius including my floodloading tower. Un-abashed, prolific "Naval jargon" came spewing right out without a thought. I decided that given the rather family-friendliness of our hobbies, you wouldn't know who might watch these videos so I decided best not go public with it.
Fortunately nothing was tacked down so nothing got broke, but I was quite clearly pissed. :cool:
It is kind of funny looking back now.
E.

LMAO! EXACTLY what I'm afraid I'll do! Got so I was not bouncing off the ceiling or walls anymore and thought "bet I could land this on a slow flatcar" and then thought "no, you can't!" But of course I'm gonna have to TRY! Trying it before I add scenery looks like a sound strategy! LOL

LMAO! EXACTLY what I'm afraid I'll do! Got so I was not bouncing off the ceiling or walls anymore and thought "bet I could land this on a slow flatcar" and then thought "no, you can't!" But of course I'm gonna have to TRY! Trying it before I add scenery looks like a sound strategy! LOL

You certainly wouldn't want to try it with the quad-copter. It puts out such a rotor-wash it would just knock everything over across my entire 42 sq/ft table. Any ground cover or track ballast that wasn't glued down would simply be blown away. The thing has some serious vertical lift. I'll tie a tennis shoe to it and see if it pick it up. If it doesn't pick it up I'll bet it could move it. Now I'll have to try that later on.
E.

Greetings gentlemen....
Nothing much going on here today, been working on my BARF, that's about it...

Time for a cuppa me thinks..

Catch you later lads!

Give her credit for being fast...

Oh, ya, she come breezing in and, WHAP! Had that cuff on lickety-split before I could turn my head to see who came in, hit the switch and it felt like somebody had hooked a car battery to my right hand ring finger, SHAZAM!!! I CLAWED that thing off CUSIN! I'm talkin 'detatch' kinda pain, it was 'delicious' NOT!!!I almost punched her out of self defense reflex it was so sudden and intense! Worse than when I broke the darned finger, done THAT many times before! CRUSHED the end of a finger once(saltine FLAT!) and had a 1/4 inch chip knocked out of a shinbone, torn ligaments and cracked my spine... you know the drill, got cut twice and been knocked out a few times but nothing ever hurt like THAT! (getting knocked out don't hurt at ALL, when it happens you don't even know it!) LOL

You certainly wouldn't want to try it with the quad-copter. It puts out such a rotor-wash it would just knock everything over across my entire 42 sq/ft table. Any ground cover or track ballast that wasn't glued down would simply be blown away. The thing has some serious vertical lift. I'll tie a tennis shoe to it and see if it pick it up. If it doesn't pick it up I'll bet it could move it. Now I'll have to try that later on.
E.

Easy clean system action mode. LOL

I gota get to work.

Outie.

So NG what kind of stuff do you have coming?
Watch out. Ordering stuff and getting packages about everyday becomes VERY addicting. It did for me.
In my case having that past experience in MRR'ing, I immediately knew of some things I would be needing. X-acto knives, Dremel tool, track joiners, a case of cork roadbed, model cement, a "proper" soldering station, some electrical stuff like barrier and terminal bus strips, lumber and hardware, etc. It was like having Christmas on a daily basis for several weeks.

I mentioned something to my land surveyor buddies on another forum where I'm a moderator about getting back into this stuff. I said something about the electrical work and one of the guys contacted me almost immediately saying not to buy ANY wire at all. Apparently, he had lost his entire layout to a flood but salvaged all the wire and would send it to - for nothing. He had a huge layout and claimed I could re-wire my layout 10 times over with what he was sending. A couple days later I got a 40 pound box packed full of all kinds of assorted wire. He sent pics of his wiring panels and power supplies (he had several). Gees, it looked like the back-plane of a supercomputer!!!
I've since about exhausted all the wire he sent once I got fully wrapped up with DCC and all my lightings, turnout controls and building a control panel. Fortunately I still had all my switches of various types I would need from back in those days long passed.

Now I'm wanting to build a control panel just for the light effects and find I'm in need of wire again. This is one of those things where I'll just think about it for a few months and then one day just build it all in an afternoon. Just like I did with my table. I put designs on paper a few times and finally decided on a plan, got a ride to the local "big box" store with a complete "shopping" list. Came home, and had the entire thing built in about 3 hours without a lick of help. That was a might proud day for me. Next day I started putting down roadbed and track.
Talk about a trip back in time!!
E.

So NG what kind of stuff do you have coming?
Watch out. Ordering stuff and getting packages about everyday becomes VERY addicting. It did for me.
In my case having that past experience in MRR'ing, I immediately knew of some things I would be needing. X-acto knives, Dremel tool, track joiners, a case of cork roadbed, model cement, a "proper" soldering station, some electrical stuff like barrier and terminal bus strips, lumber and hardware, etc. It was like having Christmas on a daily basis for several weeks.

I mentioned something to my land surveyor buddies on another forum where I'm a moderator about getting back into this stuff. I said something about the electrical work and one of the guys contacted me almost immediately saying not to buy ANY wire at all. Apparently, he had lost his entire layout to a flood but salvaged all the wire and would send it to - for nothing. He had a huge layout and claimed I could re-wire my layout 10 times over with what he was sending. A couple days later I got a 40 pound box packed full of all kinds of assorted wire. He sent pics of his wiring panels and power supplies (he had several). Gees, it looked like the back-plane of a supercomputer!!!
I've since about exhausted all the wire he sent once I got fully wrapped up with DCC and all my lightings, turnout controls and building a control panel. Fortunately I still had all my switches of various types I would need from back in those days long passed.

Now I'm wanting to build a control panel just for the light effects and find I'm in need of wire again. This is one of those things where I'll just think about it for a few months and then one day just build it all in an afternoon. Just like I did with my table. I put designs on paper a few times and finally decided on a plan, got a ride to the local "big box" store with a complete "shopping" list. Came home, and had the entire thing built in about 3 hours without a lick of help. That was a might proud day for me. Next day I started putting down roadbed and track.
Talk about a trip back in time!!
E.

LOL Went buck wild! 300 feet of flex, at least 5 each of Y's, left and right turnouts and crossings in various angles, reversing units, regular, wired and insulated joiners(MANY), NCE starter set, more throttles, booster, ROLLERS... I have wire left over from when we remodeled the house for the main power bus. I can get feeder wire and general electrical supplies pretty cheap nearby. I ordered what I could think of to get me going. Hauling the last tables out of the way, got the ducting all up and out of the way, got the new light fixtures, buying lumber next week.

Smoke break's over 'TROOP!' Back to work! (I am my own "N.C.O." and I cut me no slack!) LOL

LOL Went buck wild! 300 feet of flex, at least 5 each of Y's, left and right turnouts and crossings in various angles, reversing units, regular, wired and insulated joiners(MANY), NCE starter set, more throttles, booster, ROLLERS... I have wire left over from when we remodeled the house for the main power bus. I can get feeder wire and general electrical supplies pretty cheap nearby. I ordered what I could think of to get me going. Hauling the last tables out of the way, got the ducting all up and out of the way, got the new light fixtures, buying lumber next week.

Smoke break's over 'TROOP!' Back to work! (I am my own "N.C.O." and I cut me no slack!) LOL

Good God Man! Do you have a table plan yet much less a track plan?
No doubt you are all in on this adventure!
Unless you have more electronics/electrical background than you let on, I wouldn't try hooking up all that NCE equipment right away. Start with the starter unit and get that working once you have some track down and completely "debugged". DCC is way picky and less forgiving about shorts and connections than the old DC stuff. I learned that the hard way. I was going to go hog-wild when I got my little inheritance but many here talked me down on some things - like boosters. Then again, I only have about 75-80 of track and can only run 2 engines on 2 different mainline loops. With a consist I often run 3 and still haven't tested the limit of the starter CAB. Actually, I think I have that configuration sitting on the tracks right now. Maybe I'll go up and run some trains.

I already got my beer taken care of for the day.
Actually, that about wiped out what I had left on my card so I'm done until my IRA withdrawal comes in.

I have some cars I may want to change couplers on. I suppose I could do that.
Really wish I had a better creative mind when it comes to this artistic stuff. I have plenty of scenery I could maybe do.
Suppose I could just ad-lib and put down some more grass ground cover. I do get tired of looking at that GA red clay crap.

E.

Waiting for pictures and updates.

Roger that Chet. This guy's enthusiasm smokes mine from a few months ago. I hope he doesn't overwhelm himself!
At least I had former experiences doing this stuff. All be it a long time ago. I hadn't forgotten much and what I came right back like old hat.
E.

Well dag gum NG. You got me going big time this afternoon.
Just taking a beer and smoke break while the last of my white glue gets done draining into my next batch of scenic cement.
I've been taking plenty of pics that I'll post on Photobucket later on so you can see before and after and why I'm sick of looking at that GA red clay.

Guess all it took was to get me started. Kind of like painting. It's hell to get me started but once I do - get out of my way.
I ended up not even running any trains. Just threw down on a test corner with some beach sand I was thinking of using to emulate a dirt parking lot around my freight station. I can always fix it later if I don't like it. Looks ok so far. I decided since I was at it might as well throw down on some more grass cover. I'd say I've already doubled my covered area thus and more is about to happen when I head back up stairs.

I'm in a split-level townhouse and my layout is in my spare bedroom. Unless you have a sleeping bag and don't mind sleeping under the layout, it ain't no bedroom no more!!
Time to head back up stairs.
As you said earlier "smoke break over TROOP!"
E.

Good morning rail benders and spike pounders,
Good Morning Flo & Francine how are you both today? Good glad to hear it so how are things down here at Jeffrey Running Bears' dinner? Yes the apostrophe behind the [s'] shows ownership the other way it saying multiple bears are running! His given Indian name was Jeffrey 'Running Bear'.

Weather wise it's another Hot one, at least to me and not that comfortable.
Clear 90.7 °F >Feels Like 89 °F;

Winds are from the West at 3.7 mph;
The Humidity is 26% and the Barometer is at 29.89 in Hg.
The five day forcast shows temps will fall down to 90 °F on Tuesday and raise back up to 97 °F on Thurs., and then fall back down again. Hopefully this the start of the cool down process?

Say NG, I sounds like you spent very close to a $1000.00 bucks in what you bought? One thing you possibly should have considered if you didn't was the era and size of equipment your going to be running in choosing a rail size, code 83 or code 100.

Something that is very important in laying your flex track if your planning on soldering any rail joints is only solder every other joint and leave a bit of a gap between the rail ends, at least a 1/16"+ if the area your layout is going in will have temp considerable temp fluctuations as the rail will expand and contract and cause kinks which cause binding. Also don't be real quick to want to ballast your track till you've operated your trains on it through the change between Summer and fall and winter to see how the tract reacts. Also the the type of lumber you get, Kiln dried is the best for stability other than architectural lumber, very costly. Otherwise the frame work of your layout can shift through warping and cause real problems. Of course if your going to use a 2"+ layer of foam over the bench work you shouldn't have a problem with the base changing shape but your track will still expand and contract [E&C] with the temp. Some guys leave a bit of a jog in the track in an attempt to allow for the E&C but you also need to remember, when you get to the ballasting point, not to use any glue in these areas as it prevents the rail and ties from shifting as needed.

In mentioning your choice of rail height size, code 83 or code 100, that would have an affect on the rail size for your turnouts and crossings although there is a fairly easy way to match rail head heights from say code 83 to join code 100. I've matched code 70 to 100 without any problem.

As far a very nice Soldering Station Micro Mart has an Variable Temperature Electronic Soldering station for $34.50. I have and use mine all the time and really like it! I have it set at the higher setting of the next to the highest setting and it works well for me. If your using code 100 rail you may need to turn the dial a little higher. It come with one or two pointed round tips, I bought an extra pack of three tips and filed one into a flat sided chisel tip [>] to give me a wider area to contact and tin wire ends as well as apply heat over a broader area for a better solder joint when soldering wire to the rail.

Cleaning the metal to be soldered to often helps as well as pre-tinning the area your going to solder to and the wire to be soldered to it. Then with a bit of flux and solder on the tip hold the wire against the rail with a small wood scewer and let it heat up enough to melt the solder on the tinned wire and continue holding the wire in place for a couple of more seconds. The solder joint should look shinny and smooth. If it looks dull and pimp-ily that the sign of a cold solder joint.

In using DCC, while I'm not personally familiar myself my sales rep at my distributor is an he's said that every loco you have sitting on the layout is drawing a certain amount of amperage and longer runs require boosters but I think the number of loco's on the layout may still have an affect on operation?

Hope this helps?

Waiting for pictures and updates.

It DID occur to me y'all might think I'm pullin yer chain. Emphatic NO on that! You guys are DOING it and I RESPECT that, I'm not gonna blow smoke at cha. Yea, I'm lucky in that I'm getting a SWEET jump/kick on supplies, that don't mean a thing! I still gotta DO it!

From the laptop cam, my first 'Christmas' box of ordered stuff.

WIN_20150802_152602.JPG

The first corner and my workbench, program track will come right off bench onto layout behind possible roundhouse location.
WIN_20150802_152021.JPG
Moving to the right along the first wall, chalk line is 3' out from wall, crawl access to hole next to that.
WIN_20150802_152102.JPG

Looking down main wall 3' shelf, 2, 2'x8' access holes, crawl access under 4'x 24' linking the shelf on far wall. with 2'x8' link in the middle between the shelf and the 4'x24' for figure 8 action.
WIN_20150802_152113 (2).JPG
Far corner, shelf will continue to the right past link with 4'x24' to 4'x8' where 'Chicago' will be.
shot will not load, just an empty corner.

There you go Trooper NG.
http://s113.photobucket.com/user/Mo...neryWork2AUG2015/P8020037.jpg.html?sort=3&o=0
I'm calling it day on the trains for the day. Besides you can see all the masking tape so ain't nothing going to run today.
And all that stuff really does need to dry over night anyway. Although I had the track masked off I'm sure to have to clean it again. That's ok. Part of the job.
Since coming back from the beach a few weeks ago, I really haven't done any train work - except drive them around some.
E.

Now what am I supposed to do for the rest of the day?

I don't know WHAT was goin on down here, that brick paintjob is downright creepy lookin, and the RED patch on the first wall...what's up with that?

Back