Favorite DCC system and why do you like it?

Well, for the past 6 years I have used the NCE system, thats what I grew Up on. The Model Club I belonged to used nothing but NCE, and that is how I bacame aquainted and used to NCE systems. When I moved up here (Vancouver, WA) I started work in a hobby shop, and for the Test track, they have an NCE Powerhouse Pro as well. I have used a Digitraxx system Once, and was not very impressed. Nice, but Im more towards NCE. I use a Power Cab setup right now. Whats so awesome about it is that the Controler can be used as a regular pro cab. The difference between the Power Cab and a Pro Cab is that the Power cab is used as the Powerhouse all in one. Im sure roundhouse will Correct me if Im wrong.

... I use a Power Cab setup right now. Whats so awesome about it is that the Controler can be used as a regular pro cab. The difference between the Power Cab and a Pro Cab is that the Power cab is used as the Powerhouse all in one. Im sure roundhouse will Correct me if Im wrong.

There's one problem with your explanation. I'm not familiar with the NCE system at all, (or any other system), so I don't know what the terms pro cab, power cab or powerhouse mean. What do these components do and why do I need them?

Bob,

NCE makes two different systems. One is for the entry into DCC end called the Power Cab. The other is the Pro-cab series. The Power cab was designed for the individual who may want to run may be 3 or 4 engines at a time. There are components that will increase that capacity. The Pro-cab is more for the operator who want to get into larger operation and is expandable for use in large layouts. Such as we have in many of our layouts in the group I operate in. the Power Cab controller itself, when plugged into a pro-cab system will act just like anyother pro-cab on the layout. That way you don't have to buy a separate controller if you do operate on a larger NCE Layout.

Bob A.

I find this as a very interesting topic. I too am looking to upgrade to a new DCC system. I currently have the old MRC Command 2000 which only allows 10 loco addresses but all ten can be run at the same time without hiccups. It is limited on extra functions such as sound but it has the light control functions. It has served me well for the last 10 years. I have been looking hard at Digitraxx. I am still looking before I decide.

I started a small list of wants or rather my needs from a DCC systems which I find is important to do while investigating these different systems.

1. Engine number for address (min 200 locos)
2. Multi function control for lights, ditch lights, beacon lights, and sounds
3. expandable for increase size of layout.
4. Multiple cab controls and maybe even wireless.
5. Upgrades need to be user freindly hardware and software wise.
6. Tech support
7. This I added because of this forum someon made a comment that he or she uses a particluar system because the area club uses it and other friends as well. So this could be a seller for compatability.
8. Remote switch control or other accessories on the layout.
9. Reently learned of programing speed tables for all your locos

Interesting enough I read an article from Model Railroads 2007 special issue of the Model Railroader. The article was called Big time railroading just got bigger by Bruce Carpenter. I reccomend everyone to read this. It is by far the best explanation for CPV Products EasyDCC your use of DCC. I did not know you could actual program all your locos to a set speed table for actual realistic operations. Another words you can program all your locos to have the same top speed or according unit type etc for realisim. A plus for those who MU or do mutiple lash ups. Which I intend to do. The rerst of Bruce's article was just fantastic!

ModelBob,

Im Sorry, I should have explained it better.:eek: Thank You Grumpy For cleaning that up for me.:D :)

Kyle

Alcomotive,

Most of the Major players in the DCC market, NCE, Lenz, Digitrax, and EasyDCC, will do most all you have listed. They will handle large number of engines. Although you will definitely have to add boosters to handle the power issue for 200 + engines. As far as light effects, that is mostly handled by the decoders with multiple function capability. Then using the function keys to address how they are handled. I can't speek about the others, but I have been using NCE and they have already made one major software change and i know one is about to be released and it is very easy to install. As far as ease of use, I have people using the cabs just after a minute or two of instructions. I control most all my hard to reach switches with stationary decoders and have block control running on my lower level all thru the NCE system. As far as speed tables, again you need to watch which decoders you are using as some will accept speed table adjustments. I do this for all my Consists. I also use the Decoder Pro software to help assist in doing this as it really takes the guess work out of programming an engine.

Good luck with your selection. Best suggestion is to find others in your area with DCC and try them out, if not find a dealer who sells them and do some test driving there.

Bob A.

Grumpy Bob~

Interesting... I did not know that there were certain decoders that allow speed tables? Did I read you right on that? This I did not know. Thanks for your help too.

Alcomotive

Sorry, I should have said that some of the don't accept speed step changes.

Yes, I have had trouble with some MRC and Atlas Decoders. Even though they are both made by Lenz, they are not up to Lenz's regular standards. For the most part, the rest of the other major brands hold the speed steps well.

Bob A.

Thanks for the input Grumpybob...

I've narrowed it down to NCE vs Digitraxx. I was more familiar with the Digitraxx name, but I'm hearing lots of good stuff about NCE. In fact the only real negative I've heard about NCE so far is that the radio conversion is rather expensive.

Do you have any compelling reasons to favor one over the other?

Bob,

Obvisouly, I am partial to NCE. When I first started looking I did the rounds and found that the simplest system to use with about as user friendly of an interface was the NCE system. Nearly all the buttons on the large pro-cab are well identified, and the screen helps clear up the rest.

I have called NCE many times when I was stymied with an issue, or had a problem and they have been great to deal with. They never seem to rush you off the phone, and have either repared or replaced decoders and hand helds without any issue.

I don't really know that much about the radio side of Digitrax, but when i was first looking i know digitrax only transmitted commands. I didn't recieve a response, whereas NCE did. I guess at this point, you need to try both and find out what is most comfortable to you. I don't believe that any of them are cheap, but all the groups that I belong to love the NCE system. I know that in Digitrax, you would have to be looking at the Super Chief, as it is the only high end Digitrax system that has read back mode when programming.

Hope this helps.

Bob A.

I did the rounds and found that the simplest system to use with about as user friendly of an interface was the NCE system.

I've heard that a lot. On the other hand, I'll endure complex/complicated IF there is a compelling reason to do so. But there had better be a payoff for the complexity. So far I've not really heard any arguments for the extra hassle involved with stuff like using hexidecimal to enter numbers.

I have called NCE many times when I was stymied with an issue, or had a problem and they have been great to deal with.

That's about the 3rd time I've heard that, and it is important.

I don't really know that much about the radio side of Digitrax, but when i was first looking i know digitrax only transmitted commands.

Said in a kindly manner, not a wiseguy... Why does it matter? What does the response tell me and how do I use that info?

I guess at this point, you need to try both and find out what is most comfortable to you.

I don't feel I could really try either one enough to narrow down my decision. They're obviously both pretty good systems. The fine points that will distinguish them most likely won't be apparent during a short test run. By the time I learn enough about the system and DCC to figure out what I missed by not buying the other system, I'll have learned it from the one I did buy.

So, that's where you folks come in... :)

I don't believe that any of them are cheap,

Well, cost is a factor, but not to the point I'll buy an inferior system just to save some bucks. I tend to have my model railroad stuff a long time. I still have a couple of those old MRC brass cased powerpacks, and use them. My last purchase of advanced train control electronics. Pulse power and momentum, talk about state of the art! I've also got some vintage Tyco crap err, I mean classic rolling stock.

To be fair about my vintage stuff, I do very little modeling, spending most of my railroad hobby time running real steam locos. If I spent more time on the layout, I'd have upgraded systems sooner.

So, I suspect I'll have this system a long time too. I want to get one that I'll be happy with.

200 locos? That'd be a lot of boosters if you're running them all at once! I remember a guy saying once that his layout kept shutting down for some reason. Once we figured out he had 40+ locos sitting on his layout with their lights on, we decided that a couple of runners under load would trip the overload.

As long as your system supports 4 digit addressing, you can have plenty of locos running on your layout. Especially if you consist a consist....

Kennedy

I am not sure what the highest number I have seen running but I will be sure to note it next time I go to my local club layout. I have seen them guys have 4 to 6 locos lashed up and then have helpers mid train usually 2 units. Some these guys go hog wild with this DCC and use it to it fullest. I just know when I make my purchase for a system it will need to hold minof 200 locos. As for running all 200 hundred at the same time that more than likely will not happen. I can see 50 units running easily.

All 50 in one booster district may well be pushing a 5-amp booster. If you have a 8 or 10amp one, they should be OK. If your layout is set up for 3-4 boosters, there shouldn't be a problem at all. Unless you're at the huge engine terminal, which is all on one booster....

Regarding holding locos. The command station only recalls up to 6 locos in storage. You probably know that the actual address is stored in the decoder. As long as your command station can recall that stored addy, you can easily exceed 200, as long as your system does 4-digit addressing.

Kennedy

New to DCC....

I'm new to this forum, and after reviewing this post, it is helping me to decide what system to purchase. These systems are flexable for your taste, NCE, Digitrax and MRC are the front runners. Has anybody used the Atlas commander DCC system? Please chime in.

What I'm looking for, is a system to run my 4' x 8' n scale layout. With staging yards at each end with future extentions. For now, I plan on running 2 trains at a time. No remote turnouts or signaling. Sound, yes.

Hi q in sac and welcome to the forum. I don't have DCC so I'm not too knowledgeable about it but we have lot's of members who will be able to answer your question

Cheers Willis

Hi q in sac.

I originally used the Atlas system when i first started out years ago. Probably because it was the cheapest thing i could find, and other than running an engine or two, it worked for what I thought i needed. The biggest problem today with it is that it is definitely obsolete. I don't believe that it is made any more. Secondly you could only program two digit addresses with it. So if you had to engines with the same last two addresses you had to remember whether you used the first two digits or the last two digits when you programmed the decoder. Finally i believe it had a very limited number of functions, I believe it was four, and sound engines were pretty much out of the question when it came to function control. I know it worked with the lenz system as they actually built it for Atlas. there are many other systems well within the lower price range. Ex NCE Power Pro. The MRC advanced system, Digitrax's Zephyr, etc. which are far in a way much better systems and have the capacity to do almost everything a large system can, just on a smaller scale.

Hope this helps and welcome to the forum.

Bob A.

GB, thanks for the input. i was leaning to the Atlas system, then other postings about Digitrax, NCE and Lenz made me more curious. And your right, the pricing is lower than Atlas plus more features. Again, thanks.

Q in Sac

I think I answered this question elsewhere, but in case I just thought I did:

1. NCE is designed with an interface a normal human can understand. Digitrax is for geeks, by geeks.

2. MRC has a wonderful interface... but no wireless or computer hookup (see also "Decoder Pro/JMRI")

3. The Atlas Commander seems to have been a one shot deal - no real expansion and nothing further done with it.

4. I personally use CVP's Easy DCC, which was the first out with a true wireless system (Digitrax requires you plug in to acquire a locomotive) and is semi-reasonable when it comes to interfaces. I'll be adding wireless to it soon and have it hooked up to a laptop for easy decoder programming.

Back