Running Bear's Coffee Shop XLV

Sirfoldalot I hope you are feeling better and it is nothing serious. Let us know how you made out.

MR113.. You have been putting up some nice shots lately ... That last pic of the NP passenger begs me to ask a question.
The rail looks welded? When/ where was the first welded rail used?

Cheers mate!
Sorry to hear that, hope that you'll feel better shortly!
Agree! I hope that Jeffrey returns soon!
Nice pic Garry! :cool:

According to the Wiki;
The first welded track was used in Germany in 1924 and the US in 1930 and has become common on main lines since the 1950's...

Trussrod:

No, I'm not a pro photographer, but a serious amateur who used to work behind the camera counter. I spent about 7-1/2 years doing that. Started off part-time and ended up the store manager before the store was closed.

I use the photoman monicker because I couldn't think of anything better when I started posting photos, and it seemed appropriate for the photos I post over on Railroad Picture Archives. I also post fire truck photos on youngtownfire.com, as my dad was a volunteer fireman in suburban Chicago and I used to attempt to sell fire trucks.

And yes, if anyone finds out what facility Jeffrey is in, calling them and asking them to ask Jeffrey to contact him via the internet or to call if possible should work-I hope!

Photoman475

Last edited by a moderator:
Hiya gang!

Got some much needed rest at work today, the arms & legs dont feel as bad as they did. :rolleyes: SWMBO is going to borrow a co-workers pickup, so friday night we will be at the Home Depot picking up drywall, mud & assorted stuff to do with the garage on Saturday. Til then, I'll rest!

Anybody seen David (Jeffries neighbor?) He might be the person to ask. I'm still thinking he's chasing nurses!

These diseasels may be neat, but I'm asking St Nick for something like this for Christmas!

WM1201.jpg

Hey, a kid can dream right?

Good evening. Mild with a slight breeze here in central MD.

Spent a large part of the weekend doing Dads Taxi Service for my daughter [who doesn't have her license yet], she's in her school's drama club and they put on performances Friday, Saturday and Sunday. Lots of back-and-forth between the school and the house, plus the cast party on Sunday evening. In those intermittent slices of free time, I continued working on my roundhouse kit. My main focus was the brickwork - it is really a challenge to try and get paint into the mortar crevices without also getting it all over the brick surface. I had to do one wall three times before I got it looking passable. This evening I was back out in the train room; I had just remembered that I overlooked the roundhouse leads when doing my ballasting. In fact I hadn't even painted the rails yet! So that's what I started on tonight, will hopefully finish tomorrow and maybe even get the ballast down. All this has to be done before I can continue building the roundhouse.

Got an interesting letter from the MVA. They are demanding proof of insurance on my Dodge Durango, and have assessed a penalty fee of $150.00. Only one problem with that: I got rid of the Durango and turned the tags in on September 8, and I have the receipt to prove it! [I made sure not to cancel the insurance until I had that receipt in my hand!] I'd love to make a sarcastic response and tell them to go ahead and suspend the registration, but knowing these idiots they would probably have me arrested. So I'll just photocopy my tag receipt and fax it in to them. I'm really glad I kept that little slip of paper in a safe place!

Karl .... I like the WM Challenger. Did the WM keep it all shiny like that or did they weather it?
Ken ... That is quite a story about the Durango.
MR 113 ... Thanks for commenting.
Sirfoldalot ... I hope the pains are not serious.

Those who want to see my junk yard can fined photos in WPF .

Happy Model Railroading !

Good evening everyone,

It's been a rather nice sunny day and the temp has been on the warmer side although the night and morning were rather cold with a fair amount of moisture. What does WW say fdt 10:25 PM? 41.0 °F - Feels Like 36 °F with Humidity of ? it's not being displayed. I'd guess it's around 75% and Wind is from East at 6.8 mph.

For quite a while today I've had a hanker-en for some good pot pie so it's just 6:00 Pm and I going to run up to the store and get some along with some other stuff, I'm leaving. How about that, right in the middle of a post.
>Believe it or not I actually took off to the Grocery store in Oakhurst about 11 miles from where I'm at, one way. It's now 10:00 Pm and I have all the cold or frozen stuff put away and I put a Marie Calenders Chicken pot pie in the Micro-wave and am enjoying it now. Well I'm typing actually but had some of it while it cools and going to finish the rest now. Oh, btw that's a bit of a workout for me so I'm resting now.

> > >

Just another '13'.... ;):D

9564.1298826868_zpsxo10rkjb.jpg

That's a very interesting shot alright by Jansweede.

David, I'll have a cup with you this morning. It's 40 at the moment - expected to the 70's with clear sky's. Off to try and see my DR. This morning .. Had severe lower stomach pains all weekend, something's not right.
REALLY have enjoyed all the posts here lately; just wish we could hear from Jeffrey. Don't ever remember him being out of touch this long without some notice beforehand.

MR113.. You have been putting up some nice shots lately ... That last pic of the NP passenger begs me to ask a question.
The rail looks welded? When/ where was the first welded rail used?

Say Sherrel, I'm not sure it your refering to me but I don't mind having some coffee with you.

When you talk about welded rail in the shot MR113 posted, Is that the same thing as what I've heard termed Ribbon Rail?

Here is a little NP action ... plus GN .... On my layout.

NPandGNinBH_zps372f7d65.jpg

Happy model railroading, everybody !

Say Garry: That's a very interesting shot indeed, sure looks like you had some spacing issues to take into account when laying those tracks?

Away for a couple of hours of zzzZZzZZzzz I hope...

IMG_97691252288413_zpsih69gi7b.jpg

Say MR113: Some of the turnouts on the lower right side of the shot sure seem to veer of at quite steep angle, it seems like they would be too sharp for the Loco's anyway?

= = = =

I did a bit of fooling around yesterday with an MDC Box Cab Diesel or Climax powered frame I got off ebay. The guy said the motor would run but the the drive wheels did seem to want to move it. So when I started checking it out the first thing I noticed was that the tube coupling between the armature shaft and fly wheel was not grabbing either of the shafts so I set out to fix that. I wasn't sure if I had any tubing that small of an inside diameter and started to try and think where I might be able to find a small piece of tubing. What finally came to mind was to strip a section of the insulation of some 12 gauge wire and try that. It took a slight bit of effort but it fit perfect so now they are connected as they should be. The unit runs fairly smoothly but I noticed that sometimes it still had a problem to get enough traction to move it along the rail as I know it should as I have several other loco's that use this same mechanism and they all work fine. Then it dawned on me that what is probably happening is that the coupling between at least one of the central drive power trucks is slipping on the drive shaft or maybe both are so that's what I have to check next.

Time to call it a night at 11:25 Pm, talk with you tomorrow.

A package from Hoosier Hobbies I'm waiting on (by USPS Priority) is having a tour. Came from Dyer IN up to Chicago, then to New York, back to Chicago (although tracking isn't showing that detour now), hopped a plane to Tokyo, arriving at Brisbane Qld airport on Saturday 22nd just gone. Departed there in the evening that day (airports about 45-50 mins from my place). Latest says it was at a sorting depot in Australia ?? and departed at 7:38AM this morning 25th, in transit to destination. If I don't get it tomorrow (thought it would come today) will it tell me it's gone to Sydney??

POUR_COFFEE1-Copy.png

Good Morning! Today is Tue 11/25/14.

Some snow flurries with a high of 35. Off to Kokomo later today.

BLUECOFFEEMAN.png

TRAIN_ROUNDANDROUND.png

Tipton.gif

Temperature in TIPTON IN

Morning all. 36 degrees and cloudy. Radar shows snow all around us, but none falling here yet. Winter storm warnings are up for parts of the state. Guess all we can do is wait and see what happens.

10 degrees here and arctic sun, the snowpack settled to about 3".

MR 113 I love the NP shots, they had track in front of our farm all the way growing up. At a very young age I would walk them and pick up the loose spikes, like I was helping the railroad or something.

I put them in a feed sack, it didn't take long before I was dragging the sack. I don't know what I did with those. lasm

Good Morning Y'all! Last I looked it was 56° and sunny. According to the forecast, twenty-four hours from now (+ or -) it will be snowing. Figure that one out.........

I need to get the rest of the leaves to the curb today. There are still several Red Oaks, that haven't dropped their leaves........

Success story: When the first Capitol Limited car arrived, I tested it on the layout. Runs very nicely and looks good, although it needs a slight bit of weathering. I elected to drag out a C&O 52 seat LW coach to run with it and a B&O sleeper. The coach, out of box would not stay on the rails. I replaced the plastic clone couplers with Kadee #146 whisker - long shank couplers, filed the bottom of the diaphragms to eliminate the notch, used my Micro Mark truck tool to clear the journals applied Labelle 106 oil and filed the notches on top of the truck sides. Now the car runs real well. Yaaaaay! Yippee! Something worked out right!

Ken: Sounds like the MVA has not changed a bit in 28 years. Still unable to cross reference data.

Have a great day.

Joe

Many thanks to you all for the "best wishes". Could not see the DR. Yesterday, but have an appointment this afternoon.
Wouldn't you guess .. Pretty much no hurts yesterday, and so far, pretty much free today! Been living off of chicken and rice soup, jello, and dry toast for the last four days. With the problems of many of you, I should probably not even mention mine. I guess that what scares me most is that in the last 50 years I can count on both hands the number of times that I have had to see a DR. for anything other than a check up or flu. Add to that .. So many friends and family are going through really bad things .. cancer, heart problems, diabetics, and such, that it's just a little nerve racking for someone who has been very fortunate and thankful throughout life. Ah Ha, maybe it's finally just my turn in the barrel!

Weather is about the same again today. Winters are the best you could ask for in So. Cal. They are even saying a chance of some rail in about a week .. That we could use a lot of.
10-Day Weather Forecast
GraphTableDescriptive
Tuesday 11/25
78° | 46°
Clear
Clear
0% / 0 in
Wednesday 11/26
85° | 49°
Clear
Clear
0% / 0 in
Thursday 11/27
87° | 51°
Clear
Clear
0% / 0 in
Friday 11/28
82° | 48°
Clear
Clear
0% / 0 in
Saturday 11/29
74° | 50°
Clear
Clear
0% / 0 in

Louis, if you will post or pm me with the number and where Jeffrey is, I will try my luck at a contact today?
It's just not like him to have not said anything?

Have a great day, everyone! My prayers for peace and health to all.

Sherrel: If you drink a lot of coffee like I tend to it sometimes can cause what seem to be stomach pains or other pains. Then
I back off and drink other stuff for awhile like juices and especially water. It's cleared up for me and I usually always have a cup of coffee in my hand when the weather is on the cold side, it's warming and taste good.

Hopefully that's all your problem is too.

Good afternoon everyone,

Hi Flo & Francine, how are things down at the dinner today. Real nice day, lets see what WW says: 62.1 °F - Feels Like 62.1°F
Winds are 3.2 form the North East. They don't post the Humidity so lets see what my indoor gauge says: 55% so it probably 65% outside but the Sun is out and it's a fairly decent day.

I going to apply another coat of wax to my car and then come in a work with the train stuff.

Talk with all later.

Evening All,

I know it has been a couple of days since posting. We have been busy doing deep cleaning in preparation for having 10 people over for Thanksgiving dinner. Tomorrow we just have some basic cleaning to do and it will be done. Tomorrow night we are going out to dinner for my Mom's 79th birthday.

The only MRR progress I have made was putting Heike (sp) static grass on my coal mountain. It is the kind that does not need an applicator, you stretch it and lay it down on existing ground cover and sticks without glue.

Oh yeah, lets not forget my computer has crapped out constantly freezing and loosing internet connection. I have a little used tablet so I am in the learning curve with Windows 8 and the tablet itself.

Hope everybody has a good night.

Hi Gang!
Had my 1st therapy session tonight, lots of stretching & stuff, followed by little electrodes attached to my shoulder that buzzed & vibrated and felt pretty good. However I feel like a car that the mechanics are arguing over. My Gp says its and "impingement", my Orthopedist thinks is somebigword syndrome (something he hasn't seen in 20 years) and the therapist thinks its "frozen shoulder". I go to the neurologist on 12/11 for yet another diagnosis. til then,therapy twice a week. All I know is the PT guy made my shoulder move better for a little while. So early on, he has become the favorite in this race.

Yes Garry, the WM weathered their steam engines

CMBLND1210WM.jpg

Santa though, better have deep pockets !

$_57.JPG

but but, I've been a gooood boy this year!!:rolleyes:

Allright, whose been hiding Jeffrey???:confused:

Good evening.

We're very busy getting ready for out of town guests coming for "Bird Day" .

Regarding Jeff ... It was posted in the Diner of MR forum he is still in the rehab hospital where has neither a room phone or internet access.

Joe ... Glad you like the B&O Capital Limited. That is one of the trains I road when I was young. I recall the dome car had spot lights to shine on scenery as it traveled on its overnight trip. I sat in the dome as we rode through Virginia afte leaving Washington, DC.

Karl .... Yep. Santa would need deep pockets. The locomotive is a beauty.

MR 113 ... I like the early NP passenger diesel paint scheme. Here is mine:

NPMeet.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
BUNN_COFFEE.png

Good Morning! Today is Wed 11/26/14.

Chance of snow with a high of 36. I didn't make it Tuesday so off to Kokomo later today.

BLUECOFFEEMAN.png

TRAIN_ROUNDANDROUND.png

Tipton.gif

Temperature in TIPTON IN

Back