My new (and maybe improved) layout

Thanks for the compliments everyone.
Steve, the gravel area along the mainline is a gravel and dirt road. It's for access to the tracks for any maintainance or work that has to be done. It's pretty common around here so I figured it would be nice to add.
This weekend I hope to get some of the materials for the back drop and a couple small detail items

It looks really good, I'll have to do that on my layout too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks. It's a woodland scenics mix of their gravel and you get a little pack of the "dirt" with it as well. I can't find the product in their catalog but can check around for it and hopefully post up a link.

I think I've got some of those in the garage. Haven't got around to trying them out yet. May have to give it a go shortly. Of course it'll be a bit more challenging in N scale!

Thanks for the info.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Odie, I spend time working on the layout and running it. I typically have a couple hours a week to get down to the basement and do what I want. It's a switching layout, standard dc, so I'm the only one who uses it. Yes I do operate the layout regularly. My plan is to add a small duck under for continuous running so I can actually run my coal train. I never posted the track plan drawing, but I can dig it up and post that for you. There are 9 industries on the layout plus 2 team tracks, 1 one for interchange traffic and 1 for loading/ unloading rail to truck loads.

This weekend I started working on my fascia and back drops. I don't have a lot done yet since I ran out of materials. But here are a few pics with the back drop installed in one corner of the layout. Hopefully I can get the other pieces installed over the next few days, and of course post more pics.
0f733b74574d9de24766c869c5290a79.jpg

83d441a63c8541b400b506bce8253c27.jpg

c57938570c6be376d2ea047afb2012c0.jpg
I hope you enjoy these shots of the Santa Fe local pulling through the countryside. The engine is an Atlas model that my brother had detailed and weathered. Most of the rolling stock is from Athearn and weathered by me.

And of course I just noticed a couple of my cows are laying down on the job lol!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the kind words! The cows are back on their feet again. And I got a little more of the back drop added this afternoon while my wife and daughter played.
ede5a28ddeea255e99564cf322c947f9.jpg
I tried to take a shot of the entire back drop so that you can see what it looks like when you're looking at the layout.
ffaea447e133ecf4fca5173bf6f13b8e.jpg
and here's the other part that's been completed.

Thanks fellas. Tomorrow I'm hoping to get a building finished up and fix the roof on the grocery distributor, it's sagging pretty badly.

The backdrop goes a long way to make your modeling efforts shine. I like all the details you have tried to include. You have more patience than I. :)

Thank you for the compliment. My wife and I have been discussing how the space in the basement could be better used. So it looks like the layout will be taken down but I'll have roughly a 10x7 foot area on the other side of the basement for a new layout. It will have a small staging yard for storing cars and a diesel shop. There will be a few industries in a town area and probably a camp ground. It will be set up for continuos running, which will be nice. And have plenty of much needed storage space under it. Right now I keep all my rolling stock on shelves under the layout so freeing up that room will be good for storing holiday things and other misc items. I'll still have ho scale so the track, buildings etc will be all reused as much as possible. The newly freed up half of the basement will be a play area for our daughter and her toys.

Last edited by a moderator:
the layout will be taken down but I'll have roughly a 10x7 foot area on the other side of the basement for a new layout. It will have a small staging yard for storing cars and a diesel shop. There will be a few industries in a town area and probably a camp ground. It will be set up for continuos running, which will be nice. And have plenty of much needed storage space under it.

I look forward to seeing your new creation!!

Thanks. I started taking up track and scenery today. Hopefully this week I can get it all taken off the bench work then start moving everything area the basement. I learned a lot from this layout so the new one will be a whole new approach

That stinks having to tear down a layout. Man, that's what basement are for, TRAINS!. ;) Years back I had to tear out an N scale layout with over 11 scale miles of main line. It does hurt.

Hope you'll be able to salvage some of the layout as it looked like it was really moving ahead.

Back