Taking a beating on EBAY lately

could you link to such auction?

what you needed to look for that those 15 times he bid, did he ever win? if not (and in the example presented so far he didn't), as i said he was gradually increasing his bid subsequently pushing the winner higher.
it could have been someone who tries to jack up price but not likely since he doesn't know where the other bid is set.
and even if so, it is only your suspicion. hopefully no matter how upset you are the concept of "inocent until proven guilty" is not lost by you. and since there is no way to prove it - inocent . always

Yes, the person that jacked up the price won the item. I was the only bidder & that was right at the beginning. In those 15 bids he had raised the price from $9.99 to $40.00.

Yes, the person that jacked up the price won the item. I was the only bidder & that was right at the beginning. In those 15 bids he had raised the price from $9.99 to $40.00.

but he didn't know you were at 40? no, and i bet he didn't win on the first try, hence the 15 bids.
hopefully now you learn the lesson why bidding full ammount you want to spend from the get go is BAD :D
almost like opening your cards to opponent so he can figure out how to beat you better.

had you taken conservative strategy, put your initial bid at 0.01$ over starting amount , he would overtake you initially. then you would snipe it last 5 second with your 40$ bid . even if he would try to win you with his gradual approach he wouldn't have time. if he was smart he would also bid his best bit 5 second before the end.
best scenario - you would have ended up with item at much better price. second best and fair - the better of you wins at fair price. worst case - he would have won but at much better price. did i hear complains earlier about unreasonable prices lately? there you go...

its not chess or poker of course but there is just a little bit about "bidding to win" concept.

but he didn't know you were at 40? no, and i bet he didn't win on the first try, hence the 15 bids.
hopefully now you learn the lesson why bidding full ammount you want to spend from the get go is BAD :D
almost like opening your cards to opponent so he can figure out how to beat you better.

had you taken conservative strategy, put your initial bid at 0.01$ over starting amount , he would overtake you initially. then you would snipe it last 5 second with your 40$ bid . even if he would try to win you with his gradual approach he wouldn't have time. if he was smart he would also bid his best bit 5 second before the end.
best scenario - you would have ended up with item at much better price. second best and fair - the better of you wins at fair price. worst case - he would have won but at much better price. did i hear complains earlier about unreasonable prices lately? there you go...

its not chess or poker of course but there is just a little bit about "bidding to win" concept.

I think you have misunderstood from the beginning of this conversation. I was the only beginning bidder at $9.99 & I never bid anymore after that. He was the only bidder after me & got the item.

in that case i indeed missed. perhaps the example above is what confused me.

perhaps his auto bidding software went bananas... in either way he is probably happy with his car , lol. watch it, it might get relisted due to no pay ,

Larry if you bid 9.99 then he should have gone no higher than 10.49 going in .50 increments. I'm going with the banana theory!

actually good pointy. it couldn't have been just the 2 of you then. if you didn't go past 9.99$ then someone else was there who bid just below the winning bid. otherwise you wouldn't even know about the 40$ bid.

can you link to the auction? you still should have it stored in you r "didn't win" section

I have always wondered about that myself larry . I am like you I think it is a scam people have cooked up to drive the bid up on the item for auction . I watch ebay quite a lot and see items that we as hobbiests know about what the price should be and they go for astronomical amounts of money and lots of times they come up as second chance offers or are reposted and say buyer didnt pay for this item which is always fishy to me when it goes for a big price( hence the bid gougers ). Why would you pay twice the amount for something on ebay that you can go to your local hobby store or order online from a reputable hobby store with a sound return policy and half the shipping cost? I have never understood this mentality when you are supposedly looking for a good deal on something.

Just my take on the situation.

Couple things on e-Bay. First forget about trends. People make them hard to establish, & even then, they are still best guesses. I bought a $500 brass steamer for $335.00 one week. The very next week another example of this same model went for well over $500.00. I've seen absurrdly high prices on common low cost items & would up scratching my head wondering what the _ _ _ _ that idiot was thinking?!

e-Bay brings a large amount of buyers & sellers together. The results are hard to predict, but in 15 years of trading there I have only had one bad experience. There are problems in any large community like this, and I'm sure shill bidding does occur, but is rare, and that's where e-Bay rule #1 comes in:

No matter how neat is is or how perfect, or how bad you want it, there will always be another one!

*No matter how neat is is or how perfect, or how bad you want it, there will always be another one!*

Thats the truth!!! i got my bigboy that way 2 weeks later and $40 cheaper

I had 2 bad experiences, one as a seller, one as a buyer.

One of my first Ebay purchases in 1999 was for a (don't laugh) Tyco Super 630 cuz I used to use the longhood for C630 kitbashes. Anyway I mailed a Money order to the guy, well when he went to his bank to cash it, his bank charged him a $1.00 service fee to cash it because I guess his bank account didn't give him any breaks on money orders. Well his reply in email was as if I was caught having sex with his daughter, he was screaming in bold caps that "I will not lose one red cent to you or anyone on ebay!" Well to avert negative feedback which flew around alot in the early days, I had to paypal his ass a $1.00. Too bad I already left him +ve f/b at that point. Elvis18...I still remember the user...:mad:

The second was selling a superdetailed BN F45. I had gone ahead and changed the inertial filter/dyn brake/rad grilles, added details custom paint etc. It was purchased by a guy in Australia. When I went to ship it, standard surface was $36 and if I wanted a signature confirmation it was like $75!! Well, to make the transation doable I forego'ed the signature...bad mistake, he said he never got it knowing he didn't sign for anything...I was stuck, nuthin I could do. :rolleyes: Wasn't Australia a former penal colony? j/k ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
I haven't looked on EBay for about 2 weeks. lately there has been some really high prices for starting bids. I was looking at something I was thinking about bidding on. Looked down at the bottom where all the info is about shipping & stuff. Be careful all of you guys that buy on Ebay. They(sellers) are going back to the old ways again. handling charges that are not listed in the item. The item was listed at$9.95 starting bid. Then there was a $10.00 handling fee & a $10.70 flat rate shipping. The item is only worth $7.00 at your local hobby shop. Just read all of the fine print before you bid. That $9.95 item is going to cost you about $30.00 w/the payPal fee if you get it for the 1st bid price.

Ive been on Ebay since i was 16, I am Now 23.

Ive had issues with sellers,But ive had more problems with Buyer fraud.
I always tell the sellers If theres a issue, Just tell me,all i want is communication,and everytime ive gotten my item. As far as RAilroad items, i support my local dealer, and not some internet giant.

ISSUE BELOW

(1) MTH Penny Premier locomotive $1295.95 Retail
Stated as "USED HAS RUN TIME, OPERATING SCALE HOURS 24

I sell it to a guy back east for $572.77 This locomotive is Sold out At the time and has low time on it. Guy sends me a nasty email saying how im a dishonest piece of &^$# ,and the engine has way more hours then listed,and is broken.

Well in about a Weeks time,of emails.Im freaked about possibly losing $2k.
He slips up,and uses a Racial slur,and That he is a MTH dealer,and he has 3 additional of these engines,and swaped it out. I call paypal,and MTH and the claim,and him disappear, A week later his ebay account is closed.:confused:

(2) Sell Three USA Trains Intermodal Huskystack units to a Guy in Germany,
He pays me, I ship them No issue, well Somewhere in German customs They hold the item for a month. Well it took 3 weeks to get there,and Two weeks into the hold. I get slapped with a Claim. He tells them i jacked him,and never sent the load, I send them a Proof of shipment,and the customs fourm,and justice is served I am out $189,and 3 G scale cars. WTF?

Paypal doesnt give a shit about Sellers, I cant even leave negative feedback for deadbeats.

Well Thankfully the German Customs sent back the Units,because they were unclaimed. "Guy didnt wanna pay the import taxes" How is that my problem or resonceabity?

(3) Sell a BMW M5 steering wheel, Guy tells me its Damaged,and worthless, So i tell him to send me photos never does and opens up a dispute,This is a Car fourm,and $50 isnt worth loosing a Bunch of Business because of some jackhole,so i give him $50 back. Well two weeks ago the same guy makes a commit,about his " m tech wheel,and laugh's how he got it for free making a direct poke at me.

(4) Christmas Last year sell a ATLAS O 3 RAIL SWITCHER Guy says it makes a small noise, Ok fine send it back. Well i get it back sounds fine, I then take it to my AUTHORIZED ATLAS DEALER,to check it out well He gives it the ok,and says this guy is pulling a fast one,well i tell him Ill do what the other ebay guys do, Ill give him $200 back,and keep $49 and to cover my time. Nope not good enough. well I loose again. I even called paypal,and faxed them the letter from my local dealer,and said "ONLY BECAUSE AMEX IS FORCING US, if this was a paypal only choice you would have been fine.
Threw my contacts i found out he had got a GP9 and was short on cash,and made up the noise to get money back for the new Geep.

Ive been using ebay/paypal/forums. As a Side Business since i was 16.
I am thankful i have only had 4 issues,and I have lost 2.

i BET YOUR all saying, Well if this guy SD45T-2 is such a nice guy he wouldnt have a issue, well if there was a real issue, why cant people call me over the phone? Like in the listings? If theres a Issue, then comminucate like a adult, dont sit there and play the helpless,nor try to rip me off. I am connected in a lot more places then you know. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I haven't had a problem with eB@y or P@yP@l in the past 36 months. Of course I closed my accounts 37 months ago - and I don't miss it at all. Frankly I rather pay a bit more & know what I am getting - and as SP said above - there are way to many scam buyers out there. P@yP@l & EB@Y customer service is a pathetic joke.

I have only had one close call on ebay. Concert tickets. never sent them but was refunded.I buy alot of used HO scale locos and BB kits on ebay. Have never had a problem from a seller. I did one time buy an item in a hurry. I bought a used shell paied for it and when it showd up it was not HO scale. went back to the listing and then saw it was listed as N scale...my fault :(

I agree that a lot of the stuff is WAY overpriced on eBay.

I saw a listing just today that said never out of the box. It was sitting on a table for the photo. I'm picking nits, but hey...

I bought and sold on eBay in it's early days, well, at least after it as more than just pezz dispensers. It use to be fun and basically a way for collectors to sell what they didn't need and buy stuff they did need. Then more and more yard sell entrepreneurs, and plain old crooks got involved. I eventually quit eBay.

I started back recently after getting in MRR. I bought about 10 items and realized it's the same thing in this hobby. The condition of items is puffed and bidders pay more for used crap than they can buy new from good on-line hobby websites.

Ebay is still good for stuff you'll never find elsewhere...like Ulrich GS gons for instance. (my most recent ebay purchases) no deals tho...

Back