Jerome's Switcher Roster

Status
Not open for further replies.
A couple of Indiana Harbor Belt SW1500's came in today. One is used and one was mint in the box.

001-32.jpg

Jerome, why is it that the easter bunny leaves model SW1500's at your place but he only leaves chocolate easter eggs at my place?

I've made a bit of progress on one of my own SW1500's thanks to a burst of modelling inspired by Carey's website and I've added a few pics below.

When I came to working on the Canon & co. treadplate, I recalled a discussion about the gap between the Canon & co. treadplate and the hood and steps. To resolve this issue I found some prototype pics (of MP15DC's though) which show that there is in fact a gap between the tread pattern and the hood superstructure. So the Canon & co instructions are correct. I don't think this issue matters a great deal when working in a small scale like 1:87. It would matter a great deal if we were modelling in 1:48 scale.

I've attached some pics, but you will need to zoom in the see the gap/trough. It isn't very noticable, but you should be able to observe a lighter coloured plain strip along the walkway at the base of the hood superstructure and a darker area outward across the walk way, which is the treadplate pattern.

Paul

Jerome, why is it that the easter bunny leaves model SW1500's at your place but he only leaves chocolate easter eggs at my place?

Paul, Its because Jerome has some inside dirt on the Easter Bunny. Something about the holiday icons office party last Christmas, one of Santa's elves, MR. Bunny, and Mother Nature.....thats about all I know, perhaps Jerome can elaborate. :rolleyes:

Anyhoo, HAPPY EASTER!! :D

A&P 1207 has hit a little delay. The decoder and speaker are in place, and early testing is excruciatingly promising.:D However, being the perfectionist that I can be, I wanted more. So I am waiting new wheelsets (nickle silver) and a new A-Line can motor to totally silence the normal Athearn growl. Not that there was an abnormal amount of noise to start with, just me being me!;)
So stay tuned, my LHS says he will have parts by Wednesday, maybe by the weekend pics and video?
In either case, it will probably be done before we see any A&P cabooses!!:rolleyes:

Ah, I see! Well, while the easter bunny continues to bribe Jerome to remain silent, I don't think we can expect any explaination to be forthcoming.:p

I came across some more photos in which we can see the walk way treadplate pattern. These are both SW1500's. The first pic shows the gap as a lighter area (presumably due to dust accumulating there).

The second pic, however, doesn't show any evidence of a gap between treadplate and hood superstructure. Infact I can't see any treadplate pattern either.

Does the second pic mean it is prototypical to not bother with treadplate detail on some SW1500 models?

They both have treadplate detail. Look on the front of the 2nd unit. It's hard to see, but it is there. Alot of older engines I see at work have the treadplate detail worn down too, some are diamondplate, some are just round nubs (spikes). They wear down over the years though.

Paul, the discussion was about the new Cannon tread plate kit for the Athearn RTR SW1500's. The gap between the inside wall of the hood is normal. The kit pieces that Cannon made did not line up with the stanchion holes in the sill. That was the issue.

Starts on page #58 of this thread.

Last edited by a moderator:
cct70, I went back and had a closer look. Yes, I can just make out the treadplate pattern on the front walkway.

Jerome, I must have misunderstood that desicussion. I'm using ST-2002 which doesn't have any allowance for hailrails. I intend to drill holes at required. I can't do this yet as I still haven't got my hands on the Smokey valley handrails I want. Still waiting for the air con to arrive too.

I think I'll do a bit of thread archaeology and go back to have another look at that discussion.

Paul

I did try swapping them around but one is actually shorter then the other because of the steps into the cab. The spacing just seems to be off, but according to Cannon these are the treads for this model.

Do you have any idea what these two grey plastic pieces are for in this picture? They almost look like pilots but are too narrow when help up to the model. One is marked "F" and one is marked "R", but neither parts appear in the exploded view of the model?

View attachment 22295

According to instructions from Cannon, the side treads are suppose to have a space between the hood and the edge of the walkway, but they say to butt them upto the front piece which is suppose to be the reference. It sure would be nice if they included a diagram with the treads.:confused:

I didn't see this problem resolved so I thought I'd solve it for future reference.

Those two grey pieces are the ends of the fuels tanks. That one had me mystified for while. Now, I just wacked 'em on, but latter observation revieled they differ in the holes on them. Those holes would be for some sort of detail. So there remains the question of which end of the fuel tank should each part go.

So that's what they are but I don't know which is front and which is back.

"F" front, "R" rear of fuel tank. there is some details that go on the fuel tank, vent pipes etc.

FRONT
001-35.jpg

FRONT
002-14.jpg

REAR
003-8.jpg

The fuel fillers on the sides of the tank ALWAYS got to the rear of the engine.

Ah! There are a few little parts that look like fuel sight gauges to me but I couldn't figure out where they go. From your pics I can now see what to do with them. Thanks for resolving that little issue.:D

I've uploaded two pics to show you how I did the treadplates. There is a gap between the back of the front treadplate and the front of the hood superstructure. There is also a gap between the end of the treadplate and the front of the cab superstructure. I can see in the prototype pics that the front gap is cool, but I can't confirm that I've done the right thing with the gap at the back end.

It seemed from NWcunuk's posts that he was a bit confused by the front treadplate. He had it up against the superstucture and was worried when it didn't match the step edge profile. It was that issue that had me worried but I didn't encounter the problem as I aligned the treadplate with the front rather than the hood. Umm, if that makes sense:confused:

Paul, not sure why you have a gap in the side thread plate at the cab. I've measured both the BB and RTR, from the cab to the first bend at the steps, it comes out to 28' 9". On my BB engines, I don't get that gap. Unless the front pilot piece is made different now.

Jerome,

I have measured the treadplates on the model and on a second set I have.

The long section for the RHS is 92mm. The part of teh front section from the edge of the stairwell to the back is 7mm. This gives a total of 99mm.

The walkway on the model measures 101mm. So I have a gap of about 2mm.

This occurs on the LHS too.

If this is not correct, that is no big deal. I have Archer treadplate pattern transfers and styrene to fill the gaps.

It would be good to know if I've made a mistake for the benefit of anyone else who reads this thread. But I can't see if I've gone wrong anywhere.

[edit: my spelling is terrible)

Jerome,

the Vapor air con finally turned up. Umm, it is flat and the roof is curved. How do you fit the AC to your switchers?

I was looking at attacting sight gauges to the fuel tanks earlier only to realise that one sight gauge is missing. This is due to one sprue missing from one loco. Good old Athearn quality control. Anyway, I'll have to track down fuel sight gauges. Do you know what brand makes them?

Paul

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back