Ye Ole Coffee Shoppe XXIII

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


Status
Not open for further replies.
lf, in the world of "gun trading' someone ALWAYS gets the short end of the barrel(pun intended).

CVA is a decent entry level gun. The trick with any muzzle loader is cleaning. Quite a chore. As I've mentioned before, I'm a Thompson-Center guy when it comes to black power(or Pyrodex). I've also got a Reminton 700M("M" or muzzle loader) Nice gun though it likes a bastard load Knight is highly overrated in my book.

One gun you should have gotten is the Thompson-Center Encore. Interchangeable barrels make in the best, most versatile gun on the market. A tad pricey, but not at all bad. You probably could have gotten set up for black power and center fire with your Springfield pretty cheaply. And had two guns instead of one!!! Well, sort of.... And if you ever decided to shoot ground hogs, coyotes, prairie dogs, bear, or moose a barrel change, 5 minutes max, and you'd be on the trail.

I've got the Encore pistol with about 6 different barrels. From the sublime to wrist busters.....and then some. I doubt you are ready for pistols, but T-C makes the rifle version for rifle enthusiasts.

The drawback to the Encore, and the muzzle loader as well, one shot is all you get. Makes for fair chase and precision on the shooter's part. That means burning some ammo and making noise.

A word of advice, NEVER put the muzzle loader away dirty. The barrel will pit and ruin the gun. Clean it thoroughly. When you think you've got it clean, do it again.

Bob
 
Bob- I looked at the TC Encore, but like you said, all you get is 1 shot. I have a single shot .410 and wish id gotten different. As great as the reviews on the TC are, i love the bolt action. One of the guys we hunt with has the TC centerfire setup, and he still switches to the .300 for rifle season, hes like me, where we just prefer the bolt. I settled on the CVA because it was in my price range and several people i know have hunted with them for years without any problems. I also can have the same cartridge setup that my dad uses because internally theyre the same gun, so he can show me exactly what to do and we can help each other out if the situation arrises in the woods where maybe he needs a speedloader, i can just hand him one and save some trouble. Ive always babied my guns, they get cleaned after every time to camp and if i know i wont shoot for awhile ill still go and clean them if for nothing more than to prevent rust. Pistols are ok in my book, i definately prefer the rifles but a .380 semi can be alot of fun. :D Thanks for all the help.
 


Karl- I know what you mean about the exploding sodas :eek: Next time, shake them up before you shoot them, i used to do that to my moms seltzer because it tasted gross, i would shake it as hard as i can and then hit it. The first time i did it i was stunned, the can looked like it had be cut across and i was covered with the sticky stuff.

Littlefoot,
I was just using old cans from the recyclebox, filled with water so they wouldn't blow off the shelf. I would never was good soda (or beer) unless it was something tasteless like Tab (or Miller lite). One can really suprised me, as the fold down tab got folded back up into it's original position by the force of the water!!

Just think what that same force would do to a squirrels body!!! LOL!!;)
 
Good morning. It's 74 and mostly sunny. It will be partly cloudy at best today and the high will be 95.

I don't believe I'll be going out for much today. The old ankle was screaming at me the instant my foot touched the floor this morning. Best thing will be to stay inside and move around as little as possible. That being said old man Murphy will probably see to it that 50 people just have to come around banging on the door.It'll probably be politicians and bible salesmen who won't take 'NO' and 'GET LOST' for an answer. On the flip side I'll have some time to work on the layout.

http://i682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/Running-Bear/P1010901.jpg
 
Good afternoon people!:D:D

Just finished off a wonderful lunch and now ready to start w**king on my trainroom---again. I need some serious cleaning up in there boy.:eek:

We're getting all kindsa rain and those t'undrin'boomlets today--with the high of only 21C(???). Oh well, by Wednesday we'll be over 30C---:eek:

Have a good one guys!!:D:D
 
Wow, almost 9 hours and nobody here.
Tomain to blame?:confused:
We were out driving our "newsed" car around town. It gets nearly 4x the fuel mileage, and is half the cost to insure as the Suburban. We can probably make the cars payments solely out of the money we are saving by driving it.
 
Bob- I looked at the TC Encore, but like you said, all you get is 1 shot.

You need more than one shot? If so, you shouldn't be hunting.... The key to hunting is the humane dispatching of the animal, and should be of the highest priority. Besides, tromping through the woods, or fields, chasing a wounded animal isn't my idea of having fun. And many times you lose the animal which leads to a slow death of the critter or someone else getting your bag.

Your choice of weapon should, firstly, should be one of accuracy and "punch"(down range performance). Whether the weapon be bolt action, single shot or a breech loader is irrelevant. It doesn't matter if it's a sling shot, to be honest and blunt on the subject. The bet shooters have the motto, "One shot, one kill". A creedo of military snipers. It is best that you adhere to that axiom to make yourself a better shooter. The better shooter you become, the more you will enjoy hunting and shooting as a bona fide past time.

It is proven that the T/C Contender and Encore is a more accurate arm than a bolt action which is more accurate than a semi-auto. Many accuracy records for specific calibers are held by shooters using a T/C Contender or an Encore. I've, personally, placed a 5-shot group from my .30-'06 Encore on a target that you could cover with a dime from 100 yards. Pretty fair shootin' in anybody's book. I know of many rifles that can't duplicate that.

A .380 is not allowed in hunting as are all other automatic pistols banned. I believe most states allow nothing less than a .357 Magnum, and even some no smaller than a .41 Mag.

But above all, you also need to be safe. Hospitals are usually a long way from the field should you screw up. And don't rely on the safety on a weapon being 100% safe. I carry my guns to the field unloaded with the breech open. Guns can't fire with nothing in the chamber and with an open breech. That's a fact. Once in the field, when using pistols like the Encore or Contender, there is a shell in the breech, but the action is open. I must close the weapon in order to fire. Safety first, by all means. At 14, you should take a hunter safety course. Many states won't allow you to hunt without having taken it. Indiana is one. And an approved NRA firearms safety course is another I'd recommend. I used to be an NRA Certified Instructor. Believe me, some of the yahoos we had in those classes still scare me.

Bob
 


Good morning everyone.

I own a few guns just so everyone knows that I fit in around here! I don't hunt, but I certainly could with my inherited firepower.:)

The boss is still gone so I am stuck at work until I'm relieved at noon. It's a very short day, but it kind of shoots half the day in the ass.

I have plans to continue the tree making process when I get home. While looking at pictures of my area I realized that I've missed something very important, birch trees. I guess I just didn't pay attention to it. I'll see if I can make a few trees that will pass for birch. I figure some whitish paint with a few brush strokes of gray or black should do.

My wife is out of town for three days and the sister in law is gone so I can spend my time in peace. Not that I don't like doing family stuff, it just gets old after a while spending so much time with her extended family. What's that they say? After three days, fish, family, and friends stink.

Have a good one.
 
Afternoon all...LL is on vacation this week...so we are catching up on things. Checked the Craigs list in the local area for train items and ran across a deal..got 3 bldgs, 2 eng, 49 cars, and 12 turnouts for 120.00. One of the eng is either a Kato or Atlas GP-50 brand new (undec), got for $5.00. So the Cactus Valley is definitley back in business.
 
You need more than one shot? If so, you shouldn't be hunting.... The key to hunting is the humane dispatching of the animal, and should be of the highest priority. Besides, tromping through the woods, or fields, chasing a wounded animal isn't my idea of having fun. And many times you lose the animal which leads to a slow death of the critter or someone else getting your bag.

Your choice of weapon should, firstly, should be one of accuracy and "punch"(down range performance). Whether the weapon be bolt action, single shot or a breech loader is irrelevant. It doesn't matter if it's a sling shot, to be honest and blunt on the subject. The bet shooters have the motto, "One shot, one kill". A creedo of military snipers. It is best that you adhere to that axiom to make yourself a better shooter. The better shooter you become, the more you will enjoy hunting and shooting as a bona fide past time.

It is proven that the T/C Contender and Encore is a more accurate arm than a bolt action which is more accurate than a semi-auto. Many accuracy records for specific calibers are held by shooters using a T/C Contender or an Encore. I've, personally, placed a 5-shot group from my .30-'06 Encore on a target that you could cover with a dime from 100 yards. Pretty fair shootin' in anybody's book. I know of many rifles that can't duplicate that.

A .380 is not allowed in hunting as are all other automatic pistols banned. I believe most states allow nothing less than a .357 Magnum, and even some no smaller than a .41 Mag.

But above all, you also need to be safe. Hospitals are usually a long way from the field should you screw up. And don't rely on the safety on a weapon being 100% safe. I carry my guns to the field unloaded with the breech open. Guns can't fire with nothing in the chamber and with an open breech. That's a fact. Once in the field, when using pistols like the Encore or Contender, there is a shell in the breech, but the action is open. I must close the weapon in order to fire. Safety first, by all means. At 14, you should take a hunter safety course. Many states won't allow you to hunt without having taken it. Indiana is one. And an approved NRA firearms safety course is another I'd recommend. I used to be an NRA Certified Instructor. Believe me, some of the yahoos we had in those classes still scare me.

Bob

Bob- I dont need more than one shot, personal preferance that i prefer the bolt with a drop out clip. Should i need more than one shot? No, do i want the option of more than one shot? Yes. Ill agree with the 1 shot one kill statement. I helped track a deer until 1 am once, that was not fun.

Ive been shooting since i was 9, i started on BBs, .410s, and .22s. When i first started i could barely hit the target at 15 yards. Today, with the 10 shot .22 i can empty the clip and hit the target quickly, probably under 30 seconds. With some practice shots i can hit a quarter at 15 yards and ive hit a matchstick once. It might not be very impressive with the adult world, but im happy with it.

I would never hunt with a .380, besides it not being a very accurate gun, it is not nearly powerful enough.

The nearest hospital from the area where i hunt is easily over an hour and 15 minutes, or about a 40 minute flight assuming you could even land. My dad reminds me of the time his dads 30-30 went off while my dad was walking in front of him, that story keeps me in line. If im carrying the .22, the bolt is closed and the clip is in it, but there is not a round in the chamber. If im carrying the .410 there is a cartridge in it but the barrel is broke open, or the barrel is closed, the gun is over my shoulder and the shell is in my hand.

I took my Hunter Safety Course 3 years ago. Ive been hunting small game for the last 2 seasons. All 4 animals ive ever killed have been one shot one kill. The Grouse were both shot right to the head so as not to ruin the breast meat, and the chipmunks were shot through the lung region to make a clean kill. I havent taken the NRA class yet. I will take it before i can hunt by myself though. In NY im only able to hunt big game with an approved adult. At 16 im able to hunt with big game by myself.
 
Dana- Thats quite a steal for the price. I should really bounce around CL more for that kind of thing.

Nothing much going on here gentleman, mostly just work and summer credit classes. Have a good one.
 
Afternoon all...LL is on vacation this week...so we are catching up on things. Checked the Craigs list in the local area for train items and ran across a deal..got 3 bldgs, 2 eng, 49 cars, and 12 turnouts for 120.00. One of the eng is either a Kato or Atlas GP-50 brand new (undec), got for $5.00. So the Cactus Valley is definitley back in business.
Atlas never had a GP50, so it's gotta be a Kato... Unless it's a Bachmann. High short hood= Bachmann, low short hood = Kato. Still not a bad price for all that stuff, even if it is a Bachmann rather than Kato GP50.
 
Atlas never had a GP50, so it's gotta be a Kato
Yup..checked the underframe and it is definitely a Kato unit.:D Took the LL with me to hobby shop this afternoon. I think I have created a monster..LOL! :rolleyes::eek: She spied an Atlas Chessie GP40-2 in the display case, (she has a thing for Cats), and about a half dozen frt cars she "just had to have". The Geep has DCC installed, (haven't got that far yet), but she said "just in case we switch over". And she paid for it all herself! :D:cool: On top of all that, she also bought an Atlas catalog so ("we know what we are looking for") the next time we are out shopping. If you feel the ground shake, and hear a loud thud, it's probably me falling out of bed and waking up from this dream. And NO! I'm not sharing her..LOL!:D
 
Took the LL with me to hobby shop this afternoon. I think I have created a monster..LOL! :rolleyes::eek: She spied an Atlas Chessie GP40-2 in the display case, (she has a thing for Cats), and about a half dozen frt cars she "just had to have". The Geep has DCC installed, (haven't got that far yet), but she said "just in case we switch over". And she paid for it all herself! :D:cool: On top of all that, she also bought an Atlas catalog so ("we know what we are looking for") the next time we are out shopping. If you feel the ground shake, and hear a loud thud, it's probably me falling out of bed and waking up from this dream. And NO! I'm not sharing her..LOL!:D
Enjoy it while it lasts.
 
Congrats Dana! When the wife and I were dating, I took he to her 1st train show. Now, she tells me about every little flea market, yard sale, or newspaper ad that mentions trains. Oh, and we still go to shows together. She hasn't bought any trains for herself yet, but I can see it happening. She's got a thing for small, delicate looking steamers. I can see a little docksider in her future!
 


Status
Not open for further replies.




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top