Ye Ole Coffee Shoppe XXIII

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


Status
Not open for further replies.
Bob- The war of 1812 was pretty cool, i guess i like the mid-late 1700s because people were still colonists then, we were still rough and tumble. We didnt have the Sir/Lady sophisticated attitudes that came around in the 1800s. Any thoughts on ths gun? I can get it ordered through a friend for about $360. Im looking at the 30-06 version. http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/model/edgexpcamo

Jeff- Amazing how everyone wants to be native american huh? As someone with over 1/4 Irish blood in me, i feel the same way around March 17th :rolleyes:
 
Terry, Irak, Bob- After hearing your stories i almost hope i witness something like that some day. I dont wish to get the man fired, but im always up for watching someone walk right into a trap because they treated someone like crap. Karmas a 5 letter word.

Anyone into like Revolutionary War and French and Indian War stuff?
Im doing some summer work for a history class and figured id ask. I feel pretty priviledged that i live in the area that our country was established upon. The history is here fellas let me tell you that. Our local cemetaries have headstones going back to the early 1700's, some even before that. Theres tons of forts, most within 15 minutes of my house. There are battleships sunk in the local lakes, archealogy sites all over, cannons preserved. Some of our roads were originally battle routes. There are headstones of famous generals. Ever heard of George Washington? How about the Ethan Allen and the Green Mountain Boys? Not to mention Roger's Rangers, yup they were all here, possibly standing where i currently am typing. I swear, if you could block out the cars, squint alittle and have a decent imagination you could step through time right into the middle of a battlefield. There are 2 time periods i would like to step back into time to visit. The 1950's and The French and Indan War or Revolutionary War Era. In the 50's id like to be a kid, but in the earlier period i would have loved to have been a soldier, it would have been incredible knowing i was helping build one of the most powerful nations of today. On my moms side, we have our family traced back to the 1600's, im not sure how far it goes back on my dads side, but easily back into Europe. Ill have to look at the charts and do some research to see if we have any ancestors who fought. Ive seen them before, and being both French and Scottish as well a small percent of Indian Blood theres a possibility we could have had ancestors in the French and Indian War. :D

In the city I live in, we had both Revolutionary War action as well as Civil War stuff going on. US 220 is called Battleground Avenue, and we have several streets named after figures in those wars. A Revolutionary War battle was fought about 2 miles from where we live, and the CSA had a prisoner of war camp a mile in the other direction, both on the same road (Battleground).
 
Jeff- Amazing how everyone wants to be native american huh? As someone with over 1/4 Irish blood in me, i feel the same way around March 17th :rolleyes:
Tell me about it! I've tracked my ancestral line (on the Indian side) back to the 18th century, to a Chickamauga Cherokee warrior chief named Tsiyu Gansini. That translates roughly to 'He is dragging his canoe'. The whites called him Dragging Canoe. Tracking back through the Cherokee line is a bit tricky as they had a maternal clan system at the time. It was the woman's name that was passed on, not the mans. His father, Attakullakulla (Little Carpenter), was part Shawnee and part Nipissing. His mother was a Natchez Indian living with refugees of that tribe who had settled among the Over Hills towns on the Little Tennessee river. Dragging Canoe was the war chief of the Cherokee from 1778 to 1792 and was thought to be the role model of Tecumseh, a member of a band of Shawnee living with the Cherokee and taking part in their wars. That's enough family history for now.
 


Hola, senors y senoritas, from beautiful northern Honduras.

Man, getting here was a real ball. Tegucigalpa is a crazy house as far as traffic. I finally got our 14 passenger Toyota van with a five speed stick...on the dash...out of town wthout getting anyone killed or hitting anything. Our other rental SUV had two flat tires on the way. We got one fixed at a little tire shop, but we had to change to a bad spare on a hill, in the black of night, on a road where robberies are common. I sure would have felt safer with my 9mm. :eek: Half the people drive with no lights at night, there are no lane markings, no reflectors by the siide of the road, and cattle like to sleep in the middle of the road...when there is a road. About half the road was potholed dirt. It was a hoot, but we finally made it about 8:30 pm. I'd rather drive a 100 mph pursuit with someone shooting at me than do that again. :) The internet here is pretty flaky, so I'll sign off. I hope everyone is doing as well as can be expected.
 
Hiya gang!
Anybody wanna bid on an engine on ebay? This is possibly the most realistic engine I have ever seen on ebay. Its soooooooooo realistic. Even the engine bay doors open to reveal an incredibly detailed and weathered engine bay.
But something tells me shipping is gonna be a bit of a problem!;)

http://cgi.ebay.com/EMD-SD40-2-Six-...tem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2c55a85520

Best part is, there are 10 available!! That pretty much covers all the "regulars" here at Flo's.:rolleyes: Maybe we could get a better rate if we pooled our money and bought in bulk???:D:cool:

I wonder if they have them in any other roadnames??:confused:
 
Hiya gang!
Anybody wanna bid on an engine on ebay? This is possibly the most realistic engine I have ever seen on ebay. Its soooooooooo realistic. Even the engine bay doors open to reveal an incredibly detailed and weathered engine bay.
But something tells me shipping is gonna be a bit of a problem!;)

http://cgi.ebay.com/EMD-SD40-2-Six-...tem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2c55a85520

Best part is, there are 10 available!! That pretty much covers all the "regulars" here at Flo's.:rolleyes: Maybe we could get a better rate if we pooled our money and bought in bulk???:D:cool:

I wonder if they have them in any other roadnames??:confused:

Check out his other items. You could build your own railroad!!!!

http://shop.ebay.com/wideopenthrottle1/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_from=&_ipg=&_trksid=p4340

Bob
 
Check out his other items. You could build your own railroad!!!!

http://shop.ebay.com/wideopenthrottle1/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_from=&_ipg=&_trksid=p4340

Bob
Gee, he's got some vehicles for sale, too. Naturally, I just bought the missus a new car yesterday. Could you see her tooling around town in that Volvo 670 he's offering for sale? http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2005...69QQitemZ190414760553QQptZCommercialQ5fTrucks

Seriously, he has created some good Ebay ads, with good pictures, reasonable prices, and lots of info. About the only thing he has against him is the fact he's in Canada, might make getting US bidders involved kind of tough.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Gee, he's got some vehicles for sale, too. Naturally, I just bought the missus a new car yesterday. Could you see her tooling around town in that Volvo 670 he's offering for sale? http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2005...69QQitemZ190414760553QQptZCommercialQ5fTrucks

Seriously, he has created some good Ebay ads, with good pictures, reasonable prices, and lots of info. About the only thing he has against him is the fact he's in Canada, might make getting US bidders involved kind of tough.

He also has some equipment I wouldn't mind having! Just I don't have a spare $23K lying around for the Jacobsen 511 bat wing!:mad: O'well I guess I'll have to wait:o;)!
http://cgi.ebay.com/2008-Jacobsen-H...tem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2c55460ef1
 
Last edited by a moderator:


Karl- I dont think that one is going to fit in a flat rate box. :D
Anyone wanna even guess on shipping? :p I dont know about you guys but i dont have a railline that goes right down my street and into the backyard. Id love to see them get that up the hill though :rolleyes::D
 
Karl- I dont think that one is going to fit in a flat rate box. :D
Anyone wanna even guess on shipping? :p I dont know about you guys but i dont have a railline that goes right down my street and into the backyard. Id love to see them get that up the hill though :rolleyes::D
Call in the piano movers!:D
 
Funny, I was just going to suggest one of those Jakes to you!!!

Great minds think alike!!!!:rolleyes:

I like the rotery Fairway unit too, just the mower doesn't mow high enough for floratam and bahia grass! I like the 511 the mostest though!:D The thing i like the most about jacobsen out-front mowers is that they are 100% hydro and are super easy to work on! I HATE CHANGING BELTS! Also, I might be getting a used John deere 30" Mid engine mower from a client if the price is right!;) Like i said things are slowly turning around for me, I just need to sit quietly and wait on God. Keep me in your prayers guys they are working!
 
I dont think that one is going to fit in a flat rate box. :D

Maybe they'd fit on a flattened flat rate box...
If you can afford to buy one, you could probably afford the shipping. Of course, if they're operable with current blue cards, you could lease them to the railroad, and let them earn you some money on their way to you.
 
Bob- The war of 1812 was pretty cool, i guess i like the mid-late 1700s because people were still colonists then, we were still rough and tumble. We didnt have the Sir/Lady sophisticated attitudes that came around in the 1800s. Any thoughts on ths gun? I can get it ordered through a friend for about $360. Im looking at the 30-06 version. http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/model/edgexpcamo

Jeff- Amazing how everyone wants to be native american huh? As someone with over 1/4 Irish blood in me, i feel the same way around March 17th :rolleyes:


The Savage is based on the Savage 110 action. Solid and dependable. The .30-'06 is a good option as is the .270, and the .308. Ammunition for th e.03-'06 and .308 is plentiful and cheap. .270 offerings priced a bit higher, but not exorbitantly so.

I have a Savage 110 in .223 for groundhogs and other various varmints, though I prefer my Remington .22-250. I grab whatever gun is handy that will do the job. To my amazement, the Savage .223 likes the cheapest commercial ammunition you can buy, Winchester in the white box. I tried different rounds, even reloads, but none performed better. It would be nice if your new gun is of the same nature. Cheaper isn't always better, but in this case that didn't hold water. Try different brands, weights and such to see which your gun prefers. Accuracy is the end prize. The more confidence you have in the complete package, the better you will shoot.

Many "package" deals, the ones that include the scope, I stay away from. Many times the optics are second, even third, rate. I am a Leupold guy, a tad expensive, but I also have some nice Nikon scopes which are a bit cheaper. My match rifles have Swarovski scopes, but those can be price prohibitive for a first time gun that won't win money to pay for the extremes. You may also want to look at the Cabela's offerings. The have a "Big Game" line that is well built for heavier recoil rifles like the .30-'06. I honestly think you would be very pleased with your choice of rifles in a .308. A bit lighter recoil, cheap ammunition, rather flat shooting, and good downrange terminal performance. Not to be confused with the NATO 7.62 though. Some of those projectiles measure out to .310-.312, to large for the bore of American .308's.

Bob
 
Good afternoon everyone.

Jim, glad to hear you are doing well so far in your trip. I'm certainly enjoying my central air while I think of your conditions. Stay safe out there.

Another day of tree making and planting. The density is starting to reach a level that I am looking for. Dang does that take a lot of trees!:) I was worried about how much I was spending on trees, then I looked at my city section. Each building kit would almost buy me a box of trees. Then the track density and other details certainly cost more than ground foam for tree foliage. I guess I just talked my self into ignoring the cost per square foot for trees! Either that or I'm spending too much on this blasted hobby.;)

Since my sister in law is still in town I have another family function to go to tonight. By function I mean sitting around in my Coleman camping chair with drink holders while consuming the drink that goes in that holder. Sometimes I think those things need seat belts! All in all a great day off so far. It should continue unless something unforeseen happens, like falling out of my chair!:D

Have a great day everyone!
 
Well, the wind has pretty much died down, the temps are in the 80's, and after much trial and error, I've got the scope adjusted on my new air rifle. We had several water filled soda cans on a shelf sitting in front of a 3/8 inch piece of plywood about 100 ft out from the back porch. After pretty much ruining the paper targets, my air turned toward the soda cans. WOW! :eek:
No only did the liquid filled cans give a nice show when hit, but the destruction of the can is much worse when filled than when empty.
Empty cans were just a simple through and through. Filled cans ripped considerably when hit!! Then the best part was when we were examining the backstop, we realized that there were holes though the plywood, not just divots in it.......awesome for a .177 caliber air rifle!!:D:D:D

God help them pesky squirrels now!!:eek:
 


Bob- Thanks for the info. I visited that store i told you guys earlier about today too. I walked out the door with this little beauty. http://www.cva.com/rifles-wolf.php They had both the Camo and the Black stocked version on the rack, but only the black with the scope package. I was pretty set on a camo stocked gun but when i order that 30-06 itll have the camo, so i didnt feel the need to spend the extra money on a gun that i can only use for 2 weeks a year. With the bushnell scope i was sold. At $260 out the door, i feel i made a pretty good decision. But what are your opinions bob? Have you ever heard of the wolf line by CVA?

Karl- I know what you mean about the exploding sodas :eek: Next time, shake them up before you shoot them, i used to do that to my moms seltzer because it tasted gross, i would shake it as hard as i can and then hit it. The first time i did it i was stunned, the can looked like it had be cut across and i was covered with the sticky stuff.

Maybe someone else here can help me out with a retail questions. I have a 1918 Springfield model 1903. Because its been sporterized the value is decreased, but it has Lyman 48 sights on it, which boost the value of the gun by around $100. She said she would do a straight up trade for the Springfield if i decide to order the other gun. I told her id think about it. My only question is, my gun is worth way more than the one im ordering. How do i adress that with her? I understand she has to turn around and make money too, but i dont want to be taken for my money, not to mention im pretty attached to that gun, even though that doesnt matter in business.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top