Ye Ole Coffee Shoppe XXIII

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


Status
Not open for further replies.
Well gents how ya been? I had my first full day of work. It used to always be about 4-6 hours a day. Today was 10 hours. Thats 3 hours pushing a mower, 7 in the water :rolleyes:. Picking that stupid milfoil was ridiculous. I wound up takng my aunts boat and rather than diving from the dock, because after just 2 or 3 dives i couldnt see anything because the bottom got all stirred up and id have to wait for a few minutes. There was this tool that looked like a cerated mower blade attached to a long handle. I would cut it with that, then scoop it up once it floated to the top. What a pain in the @$$ that was, keeping a boat in control and doing that at the same time. Everytime i would use the cutter it would act like a paddle and move the boat :mad:. As difficult as it was, it was quicker than diving in water that i couldnt see in. Oh yeah a few lessons learned, fish are more intimidating when they are eye level with you, a big bass will defend her territory, and if you splash while swimming the dog will swim after you. As much as im b****in about work i did sorta have fun. Her nieghbor wound up hiring me to do the same thing on his dock. He actually wound up taking my tubing and out on the boat with his kids too. When i finished his place the next neighbor down from him offer the same thing, first he offered if i wanted to ride in the boat while i spotted the tube for his daughters. I respectfully declined his offer because i was running out of time, and he asked if i could do his dock when im up at my aunts next time :eek:, getting busy :D

Chris-How ya hanging in there sir? Wasnt it you that said "always work hard and do your best, you never know who else is watching" ? If so, you were right!

Jim- Theres a place near here that does the dive lessons in a pool. Once you do the first class i think you move to the lake for the next one. I must be honest, i never wouldve guessed your a smoker Jim.

Tom- The way the EMTs responded sounds riculous. Ive worked with several different emts and fire departments, and noone would have handled it and that way around here. Ill echo the others and make a few phone calls and raise some hell with the higher-ups.
 
Chris-How ya hanging in there sir? Wasnt it you that said "always work hard and do your best, you never know who else is watching" ? If so, you were right!

I need to write a book one day! Here another few fer ya...

"Always love what you do and it will show up in your work!"

"If you hate to work, it's time to change your job!"

"Work should be fun, or if it ain't you won't make any money!"
 
Jim..Have a good trip...be safe!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY JEFF!!! Flo...Jeff's bill is on me!!


Keep rattling cages until you find someone who will do something, not just give lip service.
Those are my sentiments also. If that had been my family, that crew never would have made it out of the hospital!!...Well, not for a few days anyways..:mad::(
 
Last edited by a moderator:


Evening, everyone.

Last chance before I head off for Atlanta tomorrow, an overnight stay at the ariport hotel and then out on the big bird Thursday morning for Honduras.

Rex, thanks for the good wishes, but I wish you hadn't decribed the precautionary measures so graphically. :eek:

Matt, you'll be amazed at how territorial a lot of fish are when you're in their domain. There are some big, nasty looking fish in the tropics, like barracuda, but I've never been bothered by any of them except for some defensive posturing. You usually learn classroom theory first, spend time in the pool second, and then do your certification dives. I really don't approve of open water divers getting certified in lakes or quarries. The experience has nothing to do with diving in some rough, open water situations. You can take your certification dives anywhere, and that's why I recommended the Keys. You get some good ocean experience, see some nice things, and don't need a 7 mil wet suit to survive.

I'm really ashamed to admit I'm a smoker. I started at just about your age. Back then, every kid smoked. I was one of those people that got hooked on nicotine with my first drag. I've never tried any other recreational drug, because if there are any out there as good as nicotine, I'd be in the gutter in a week. :D I am down to about 10 cigarettes a day, tapering off with the help of an electronic cigarette, which delivers only nicotine, but gives you the experience of smoking. I hope to quit completely by the end of the year.

Chris, glad to see you still have some pithy sayings. Are you getting any sleep?

Tom, you can see that those of us with experience think you and your wife got some pretty bad treatment. As CJ said, if you don't get any satisfaction from the chief or mayor, file a complaint with the agency the licenses EMT's and ambulance services. If no one files complaints, no one in the agencies knows how bad things are. I can tell you from experience that a visit from a state inspector has a tendency to fix things up right quick. ;)

It was warm and humid today, with a few small showers. Not much, but enough to give the plants a little water and raise the humidity about 20%. It's 74 right now, which is about 10 degrees cooler than most of you in the north and northeast, so I won't complain. Invest 96L is about to get back into the Gulf, and I think it will follow about the same path as Hurricane Alex. An interesting development is that the low that used to be 95L is starting to retrograde back into the Gulf from Louisiana, and has the possibility to reach tropical depression status. Even if it stays at that level, the rough seas are going to continue to screw up the efforts to round up the oil leaking in the Gulf. :(
 
Well, as of 7 minutes past midnight on this 7th day of the 7th month I'm now 50 years old. Wow. I made it to half a century. About 46 years of that I've been a model railroader. It's been a LONG time since that Marx O-Scale train I got in 1964.
 
Evening, everyone.

Chris, glad to see you still have some pithy sayings. Are you getting any sleep?

Some and not of any quality either.:( I know it will take time to heal my wounds, but ain't there some kinda cream for this $#@% to speed up the healing?:confused::mad: I had a crap load of lawns to mow yesterday and a crap load today........Thursday so far only have a few.......so far.:o
 
Happy Birthday Jeffrey!!! You'le never hear me call you old (cuz I'm 49!):D

Safe journey Jim, Well be sure to turn out the lights after the party!:eek:
 
Old? OLD!?? Try being old AND short to boot! Sounds like I might be the "Old Man" of the bunch around these parts...and I throw my bid in at 61. Hey Flo, can I get a Seniors discount?:confused:
 


Jeffery- HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

Turning 50 is not really traumatic, but turning 65 is bad!
You have to put up with all the junk mail and phone calls from people wanting to sell you Medicare Supplimental Insurance. YUUCK!

Enjoy your special day!:)
 
Jeff- Happy Birthday brother! The big 5-0!

Jim- Enjoy Honduras, ill be sure to think of you while im in the a/c and dont have to swat away bugs :p. You arent kidding about the fish, this stupid bass had to have been over 20 inches. That wouldve been a nice +3 lb fish! While i think your right about learning in the ocean, i personally dont plan on doing much if any in the ocean. If i was to get my certification, i would use it mostly in lakes. I also dont know what is required before you can take the course, like if i need to borrow the equipment from my grandpa. Ive got a grandmother that smokes, to be honest, i dont have anything against smokers, its their thing and not my position to tell them they cant or theyre wrong for doing it.

Gee, all you guys throwing out numbers around and above 50 make me feel pretty young, but hey come august ill be 15, then thats one more year that ill be closer to driving :D
 
Thanks to all for the birthday wishes. It's appreciated. My parents took me out for dinner last night at a local Mexican place that I like. The reason for them doing it a day early is because my mother can't get out well by herself and my father will be at work today to keep the money coming in to pay for her medical insurance. A gift my mother gave me is a hand-held vacuum from the Fuller brush company. I won't be using it for any cleanups on the layout because I can't get the filters for it locally. Also I don't think it has enough power for that. It looks like a glorified Dust Buster.

Jeffery- HAPPY BIRTHDAY!
Turning 50 is not really traumatic, but turning 65 is bad!
You have to put up with all the junk mail and phone calls from people wanting to sell you Medicare Supplimental Insurance. YUUCK!

Enjoy your special day!:)
I'm already getting that stuff as junk mail in my email and my snail mail. Just last week I got a letter from AARP offering me a supplemental insurance card!:rolleyes:

Today's photo is one of the Shop-Vac hang-up for those who haven't seen one.

P1010873.jpg
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Good morning folks

It is 95 F at 10 AM as I write this. We are going to 101 F today. Yesterday it was 103 F.

I am home today. We got a letter from Sears yesterday saying that there is a recall on our dishwasher. A heating element can overheat and cause a fire. I called them and the repairman is due to come by today.

The smoking saga continues. We checked the hotel that we are staying at in Myrtle Beach and found out that they do not restrict smoking. Apparently South Carolina is one of the few states that do not restrict smoking in public places. Some towns and cities do but Myrtle Beach is not one of them. So my wife canceled our reservations. Things happen for reasons. If she had not had the episode over the weekend we would have never thought to check. We would driven 11 hours only to find out that we could not stay at the hotel and most likely would have had to come home.

We most likely will be filing a complaint with Rehoboth Beach officials regarding he conduct and unprofessional behavior of the ambulance crew. It still irks me that they had the nerve to tell me to just leave a 12 and 14 year old unsupervised in a shore town.

Maybe I can get some trains in today.

I hope everybody has a good day.
 
If Jim wanted heat, he should have come to Indiana. Forecast is for 93* today with a heat index of over 100*. The alert says to stay inside in an air conditioned room.....I can manage that.

Jeffery, I have a couple of those vacs. One in train room and one in the garage for the boats and the car. Handy gadgets. I used to have one of those Fuller brush vacs. Underpowered at best. Like a Snark. What a waste of train funds!!!

Not much happening today. Too hot to fish, the trains are painted, except for a couple of the Wabash units. I'm out of white paint. Too hot fora road trip to get more, since our Hobby Lobby closed last fall. WalMart is a viable alternative, but the heat makes people impatient on the bypass. Wrecks waiting to happen.

Think I'll just stay in front of the computer wit hteh occasional foray to the coffee pot.

Got a call today on my hearing aids. Another test. I am supposed to get a phone call today with an appointment time.

Also have an appointment with some kind of counselor to determine the extent of my neuropathy and what percentage of disability I have. To bad it isn't today as it is really in a bad way today. The left arm just doesn't want to grip and work the way it's supposed to. Got good days and bad ones. Today is not so good. It scary to know that now the motor functions are being affected. Before it was just the sense of feeling. Felt like my hand and arm were asleep. Now sensation, movement, and strength in the arm are being affected. Not a good thing, I'm sure. And the pinky and ring finger, and the outside of the hand of the right hand are beginning to feel numb. Damned diabetes!!!! Angela thinks I'm just complaining, but is pretty disconcerting and an annoyance. And my neck, the source of my problems, stenosis along with the diabetes, has been pretty painful the past few days. Even Angela's world class massages don't help.

Damned this gettin' old crap sucks!!!!

Sold an old Bachmann C628 on eBay for $35 the other day. Amazing what some will pay for an engine. It had issues, no coupler on teh rear or horn, but ran like a beast!!! It was badged for Santa fe, though the road never owned any. I'll take the money and run.

Watching a couple of old Varney's now. A Berkshire and a 2-6-2. These will probably go for a premium since I want them. I've set my limit to spend though.

Well, lunch time....

Bob
 
You are only as old as ya feels and today I feel 95. Hot and humid as Bob said earlier and I gits my first sociable security check in two more weeks so's ah is starting to feel my age even more. We ordered new kitchen cabinets,dishwasher and faucets last week. Today is the floor ordering and reverse osmosis water drinking system ordering day. The cabinets arrive Aug 17th and after they have been installed it is time for the counter top guys to come and make the template. Should have the new tops about 10days to 2 weeks. The old cabinets will start going away the first week in August so I can tear out the old floor and level it up. It now slopes 2 1/2" in 17' 8" and it is a concrete slab so leveling is going to be tricky. I have an idea an how I am going to do it but need to talk to a couple of folks to see if it is feesable or not. I do know that the joists of whatever will be 12" on center if I use wood.
 
Last edited:
Larry, I doubt if gettin' them checks will make you any more likable. Slabs are a bear to work on. Never liked them in my days of being a carpenter. Yes, I was a carpenter for a bit and have the thumbs to prove it!! Decided in 1982 that drawin' them was easier than building them, so I went back to school for my associate's degree in Architecture Engineering Technology(fancy name for a drafting degree) at ITT in Fort Wayne.

Are you adding a false floor? We had to do that on a house remodel quite a few years back. No alternative other than breaking the floor out and starting over. It had a slope of over 5" in 19'. Must have been a garage in a previous life.

Bob
 
Yes Bob I guess you would call it a false floor. Covering the concrete with wood which I did back in the 1983 remodel. Did not realize the floor was out of level until the installed the new cabinets and had to shim them to get level. I assumed that concrete was poured level but was OH so wrong. LOL LOL Now I need to come up with a jig to cut 2Xs' at an angle to level the floor. A couple of contractors said the best way would be pouring very soupy fiberglassed reinforced concrete. I do not care for that alternative so will go with the wood over concrete option as I did the last time.
 


Pouring a "cap" is a real bear of a job, Larry. I've done that too, although all we had to do was fix an error of just over an inch. No fun at all. We used angle stock for a guide, built "dams", and used my 8' level. Didn't make the job any more fun though.

I would use a table saw, figure my angle and attach a guide to my rip fence, though a radial arm saw might do an easier job. Either way, I don't envy you.Just make sure to add cross bracing so the new "joists" don't roll on you. They have a way of doing that close to the end of a project.

I doubt the floor was poured level. It is what it is.....running downhill. And that only happens in garages normally. I'd be happy to help, but you couldn't afford the food bill to feed me. Or the pain meds for my back to keep me going.

Bob
 
Status
Not open for further replies.




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top