HI gang! Hope all are well. I've spent most of the day getting rid of a computer virus. Man, that thing was something else. It is a Rogue AV Virus Suite that somehow got on the computer (probably when I was looking at some girlly photos 
)
It begins by a pop-up warning saying that an external source is trying to gain access to my computer, "do you want to block". Not thinking, you hit yes. Then another pop-up says "file ---- is infected, do you want to run a scan." It also gave a warning of a file infection every time I tried to start a program. It wouldn't even allow me to open the control panel's "remove programs". Well, I right clicked the pop-up and an AV Suite window opened and it (by itself) started running a scan. Then Internet Explorer started up going to different junk sites like Viagra, etc.
Finally, I woke-up "hey I don't have any d-mn AV suite, I use Norton's. (It had even placed an icon down in the task tray.) I ran a full scan from Norton's and it said everything was ok. I opened the Norton's startup section and saw a file listed that shouldn't be there. Once I disabled the startup on that file and restarted my computer, the problem seemed to go away. I then located where the file was and saw an .exe that shouldn't be in my Application Data...then I knew for sure: something wrong in Denmark.
The next step was to download Malwarebytes and run a complete scan. It found all of the malware (12 files), including the one that was put into Norton's. I guess the file in Norton's was to hide the presence of the Trojan.
Any hoo, beware and if it should happen to you, go for the free Malwarebytes.
It begins by a pop-up warning saying that an external source is trying to gain access to my computer, "do you want to block". Not thinking, you hit yes. Then another pop-up says "file ---- is infected, do you want to run a scan." It also gave a warning of a file infection every time I tried to start a program. It wouldn't even allow me to open the control panel's "remove programs". Well, I right clicked the pop-up and an AV Suite window opened and it (by itself) started running a scan. Then Internet Explorer started up going to different junk sites like Viagra, etc.
Finally, I woke-up "hey I don't have any d-mn AV suite, I use Norton's. (It had even placed an icon down in the task tray.) I ran a full scan from Norton's and it said everything was ok. I opened the Norton's startup section and saw a file listed that shouldn't be there. Once I disabled the startup on that file and restarted my computer, the problem seemed to go away. I then located where the file was and saw an .exe that shouldn't be in my Application Data...then I knew for sure: something wrong in Denmark.
The next step was to download Malwarebytes and run a complete scan. It found all of the malware (12 files), including the one that was put into Norton's. I guess the file in Norton's was to hide the presence of the Trojan.
Any hoo, beware and if it should happen to you, go for the free Malwarebytes.
