Ye Ole Coffee Shoppe XXIII

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


Status
Not open for further replies.
Evening, everyone.

Terry, what did you do, hang on to an A/C unit, or what? Some of those fifth wheels have barely enough clearance for some bridges. Did you have your cell phone? Kind of hard to do while you're hanging on for dear life, but I would have tried to get my boss to call the guy. I have a hard enough time getting off me rig when it's stationary and I'm using the ladder. I would have been scared to death :eek: I'm glad you're mostly OK.
I left my cell phone at home for the second time since I've worked there. I make it a point to carry it with me at work, especially when I'm working on the roof of an RV, just in case there's a problem. Usually, the problem consists of needing somebody to move an a/c unit for me, or hold a ladder while I get back down, or raise and lower a tv antenna. The fifth wheel is a small one, relatively well built, called a Nash 225. There is a small area at the back where the ladder is that has a railing around it, and the ladder going to the roof. I was holding that rail, and turned around when I saw the turn coming up, and started down the ladder because i knew the customer would have to slow down to make the turn. If he hadn't slowed down enough for me to feel I could join the bird gang, my only other options were to continue hanging on that railing, or tear the cover off a roof vent, kick out the inner mechanism, and (hopefully) drop through into the trailer, and ride there until he got where he was going. Luckily, he did slow to maybe 15-20 mph, and I was able to bail. Oh, the reason the trailer came in for repairs to begin with, is the guy forgot the trailer was back there, and drove under a gas station canopy. I had to replace the front vents, skylights, a/c unit, tv antenna, and part of the roof itself.:rolleyes:
 
Sounds like the kind of person who shouldn't be playing around with an RV. One of my uncles decided to get one of those enormous RV's that's built on a Greyhound bus frame knowing full well that he'd never driven anything bigger than a pickup his entire life. After cutting 3 curbs, breaking off several fire hydrants and backing up over a police car he decided he'd better sell it before he killed someone.
 
Good morning. It's 76 and partly cloudy. The high is expected to be 95 and it will be mostly sunny.Yesterday I told my nephew that if he has my gas tank installed and fully operational (no leaks) by no later than Monday evening there's a 12 pack of his favorite beer waiting for him in my fridge. If he does get it done he will be surprised to find that it's actually a case. If he doesn't get it done, well, I know a few people who can make use of a case of beer. I went over yesterday and mowed my parent's yard while it was still somewhat cool. Being that it was partly cloudy made it more bearable and I didn't get roasted. In transportation news, I'll be glad when I have the van back on the road. The injector system on the car is getting worse. It still starts up on the first crank but uses so much gas that it makes a thick black cloud then after a few seconds it leans out to something that's close to normal. To make things even more interesting the radiator fan no longer works so I have to keep moving. This means staying away from areas where traffic jams are likely t6o occur and use the side streets. This newest problem is on top of a bad injector system, a flaky tranny, a brake system with a history of failures, an electrical system that has a history of shorts and an engine that's starting to burn oil. I could get it all fixed but I can't see spending 3 to 4 thousand dollars on a car that's worth at the most maybe 400 dollars. Actually I'll be glad to be rid of it. I never could work on it without having to get some expensive tool or using a manual that looked like it was written by a group of rocket scientists. The van is of much older technology that I'm more used to and know how to work on and can do so without having to buy Tom Swift's tool set. So far I haven't had to use anything more complicated than an adjustable wrench.
 


Afternoon, everyone.

We're still waiting for the American Express guy to show up with our voucher for the return trip to the airport next Sunday. As usual, nothing happens on time in the tropics. :)

Terry, that was some mighty cool thinking on your part. I always forget my cell phone on the few times I really need it. I'm glad the trailer had a ladder and tha the slowed down enough for you to get off. If not, I think kicking in a vent would have been your only other option. As Jeffrey said, it seems some people shouldn't drive anything bigger than a VW bug.

Chris, I think the current moves by both the federal and state governments are going to frive BP into a protective bankruptcy. Once this happens, any claims will be tied up in court for years. As a shareholder in BP, I fail to understand how wiping out my and millions of others investments and sending the company into a hostile posture will help either solving the oil leak or compensating those with legitimate claims. I know lots of people are starting to view BP as an unending money machine, but it's not, and they are going to kill the goose who laid the golden egg.
 
Afternoon folks

Americade is finally over here, as much as the bikers and businesses around Lake George love it, it causes alot of trouble. Nothing like listening to thousands of bikes fly up and down the roads. I guess my biggest problem with americaders is there attitude that "im here for americade so i can do what i want". Its ridiculous. Dont get me wrong i love bikes, i plan on having one someday and getting my license when i get my car license, but they cause so many headaches. It takes me close to 1.5 hrs to get to camp any day of the year, during americade, plan on an extra 45 minutes. Streets turn into parking lots it seems. Oh well, theyll be back next year.

Camp was fun this weekend, it rained both days but it made for nice riding. On the ride home we saw a mini van pulling a small travel trailer and a trailer hauling 2 bikes, at the same time! Not only is that illegal in NY, but im sure that minivan was working its @$$ off.

Jeff- When we went to dover for the nascar race last year there was a guy parked next to us with alittle bit smaller motorhome than what you described. This guy was as nice as could be and we even made friends while we were there. Come monday when we left, this guy tried to take out my dads truck, the monaco coach across the path, the popup to his left, and the trailer tongue on our travel trailer, just trying to get out of his spot. Thank god he only had to go to Maryland.

Terry- How was traffic on that day? seems like someone shouldve called it in.
 
Hiya Gang!!!!!!

Terry. I'll be sure to pass along your harrowing story at work tomorrow. We do RV (as well as car,truck service, as well as semi trucks) repairs and I'm sure it will get the techs attention. Thank goodness you survived your ordeal without any major injuries.:D Hope ya had a good day at Spencer today.

Me, I floated around in the in laws pool today, so Mr Big City realtor could hold an open house at my folks place. All the huff and puff and that shiney Mercedes he drives, and he got NO VISITORS at the open house. :eek: I tried to tell my "college educated so I must be smarter than you" Sister when this all started that he was all wrong for the job. For several reasons. #1, he's a rookie (3 houses sold, thats his whole resume), #2, he's out of Mongomery and PG county areas. Big money areas where most houses are in the 3/4 to 1 1/2 million to start. (Just north of Washington D.C.) We are more than an hour north in the country! The average house in our county $250.000 in a good market, let alone a flat one. In other words, the house is grossly overpriced! #3, he is one of my BIL's golf buddies. ;)
But I don't know anything!:confused:
I havn't told her yet, but we settle on our new house in 3-4 weeks, pending the final inspections and water tests. The financing is a done deal. She's gonna have a shock when we move out, (The house is currently "staged" with 95% my furniture) and I mail her my house keys and a business card for the neighbor who does lawn cutting. She can handle it all from there, I wont be back.:D
 
Hi gang! Hope all have had a good weekend. I spent mine in the cool of my depot, still working in the steel mill area. I am going to try using modeling clay to sculpt my ore stockpiles hills, etc. I thought that I would form it, let it dry, paint and then wet it with water/glue for sprinkling ore granules on it. Never tried it before, but maybe it will work. Any of you ever used modeling clay for something like this?

Jim, you paid good money for the tropical weather. Could have stayed here free for 96 deg with a heat index of 105. Same is expected for the next several days. Of course, looking at saggies (better than those stuffed with silicon) is worth something! Love the jiggle! LOL :D:D
 
Well today is the day my nephew is supposed to help me put the gas tank under my van. I've already told him there's a 12 pack of his favorite beer in it for him, so we'll see if he can earn his beer or prefers to go running off with his friends. In truth I didn't get him a 12 pack. I got him a 24 pack which should come as a surprise to him. However if he doesn't come through I can just take it to the spillway park this weekend and give it to the first bunch of guys I see. I'm sure they'll know what to do with it.

In local news, my niece and her husband were going to change out the sand in the swimming pool filter yesterday and discovered they are a bit short of the 500 pounds needed and have to wait until they can get more. They have these grand plans to turn a regular in-ground pool into a salt water pool. Little do they know that they'll have to change out every piece of metal pipe with plastic pipe. That's going to require a lot of digging not to mention a lot of pulling up bricks since most of it is under a brick terrace. They also have to run down a leak on the return line that's allowing water to escape into the ground at the rate of an inch every couple of hours. That's a LOT of water.
 
Hey JIM! Check your regular email account. I've sent you an important message about the visit up here.

Jeffrey: how do you have salt water in a pool: Do you run the fresh water through some sort-of salt gizmo? Also, what is the advantage?

Terry: your ride is one of those things that I don't know rather to laugh at it or be shocked at the danger. Since it all came out good (sort-of) I guess we can laugh, knowing your eyeballs were about to pop out of your head...not to mention the white knuckles;):D
 
Rex Your idea will work fine, paint it an iron ore colour before sticking anything on to it that way no white bits or whatever will show through.
 


Jeffrey: how do you have salt water in a pool: Do you run the fresh water through some sort-of salt gizmo? Also, what is the advantage?
There's a salt product that can be added to the water. It's not the same as sea salt and doesn't sting your eyes. The advantages is taht the pool is much easier to maintain, no chlorine required and no expensive chemicals needed to maintain the acid level, ph, etc. The down side is that it corrodes metal but that's nothing new since chlorine does that anyway.
 
Salt water pools are gaining ground here in this state! I have two clients that have saltwater systems, The overflow from the pool does a hell of a number on their back yard grass!:eek::rolleyes:
 
Terry: your ride is one of those things that I don't know rather to laugh at it or be shocked at the danger. Since it all came out good (sort-of) I guess we can laugh, knowing your eyeballs were about to pop out of your head...not to mention the white knuckles;):D
I took my "Indy" hat to work today, and put it on every time I had to climb on the roof of a trailer. There was an unexpected bonus, the hat is very good at keeping rain off my head.
We decided we could hold competitions for TrailerSurfing, I should be a shoo-in for first place, at least the first season. Lightning struck one of the huge gasoline storage tanks near where I work very early Sunday morning. It burned for over 5 hours, and the area still reeks of gasoline. We're having more severe weather now, i hope the lightning doesn't find the tank farm again:eek:.
 
Some nasty weather showing up on radar around Central Indiana this evening, lots of red and and pink and orange. I saw some really funny looking clouds when I came home about 45 minutes ago. Thunder boomers are now approaching so maybe I should shut this baby down.
 
The new gas tank is strapped up under the van and the fill line is connected but we ran out of daylight. Tomorrow the vent line, suction line and return line will be connected. Then the return line will be reconnected to the fuel filter up front. It's blocked off right now.
 
Jeffrey
So you have almost breathed life into the beast. I'm sure the neighbors wont mind a very maniacal scream of "its alive!" :eek: once you get it running!!:D
 


not a cloud in the sky here, the suns beating down, the kids are at school, gotta nice brew in hand, the cats fast asleap on the lawn,,, :)
 
Status
Not open for further replies.




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top