ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.
Steve I had to train my family to do just that..seemed for years i kept getting everything else BUT...
Welp, found out that a friend of mine broke his hip in a fall down some stairs at his home..his heart must have stopped all of a sudden because they put a pacemaker in him yesterday...going to see how he be doing today....
It was 22 F as I headed out onto the sometimes clear roadways this morning. Our high will be 27 F with wind blowing the snow around.
The storm yesterday dumped about 11 inches on us officially. The wind has been going pretty strong since yesterday afternoon. I had some drifts in the driveway that were waist high. In a few places there was no snow. It took me about an hour and half to clear the driveway so I could get to work. The street I live was clear so given my township’s usual performance I figured that all the roads should be clear. I was wrong. As soon as I crossed the township line from Upper Darby to Haverford the road went from wet to snow covered with wheel ruts. West Chester Pike, Route 3, a major road was still snow covered. It looked like a plow had not hit it since the storm stopped. I-476 and I-76 were fine as were the roads near the office.
We did not do much yesterday. We got the bi-weekly grocery shopping done before the main part of the storm hit. We were still in amongst the bread and milk panic. We had to laugh at this one woman who came to the register with 6 gallons of milk and 6 loaves of bread only in her cart. She had a frighten look on her face was talking franticly to someone on the cell phone complaining about the crowd in the store and where she was going to put the milk.
We may go out tonight and return a few items that don’t fit the gift recipient. If not we will probably just sit around and watch one of the DVD’s we got for Christmas.
We had our family get together yesterday. I got a train whirlygig (a train like wind thing with a fan blade on the front that spins and makes a smoke like thing go up and down along with the engineers hand waving)and a black T-shirt that says "I am retired but still a full times Gramps". Colton my grand son could not wait for me to open it. No one else opened anything until after the whirlygig was opened. This is the first time my wife listened to me and did not buy me anything, yahoo. I did not listen to her though and went ahead and got her a Nintendo DS game system. She loves it but really felt bad yesterday after she finally figured out who got it for her. All that was on the tag was to MaMaw. After she quizzed the girls and my son in-laws and my parents it came down to me and I could not keep a straight face for very long.
Barry Hope your friend is on the mend, load of oldies here are falling on the ice, for some it's the end, my parents found a dead couple of OAP's before christmas in a field, he had fallen and broke a leg while checking his sheep and she stayed with him waiting for a passer by to help, they never came and both froze to death in the field in -15 temps. Really sad news but at least they were together, god bless them.
Rex, Carey, Mikey, and the rest of the Bama gang The news on TV covered the snow in Bama (with a few seconds of other places up the coast), made the place look like here not the warm south you guys normally live in.
Rex, Carey, Mikey, and the rest of the Bama gang The news on TV covered the snow in Bama (with a few seconds of other places up the coast), made the place look like here not the warm south you guys normally live in.
No snow or ice here though it's been cold enough for it last few nights. This time of year we're usually still mowing the grass in December. That hasn't happened the past couple of years.
Just a BIG mug of chicory coffee for me. Been to the bank (make deposit), the gas station (get gas for the van) and Wal-Mart (in that order). Bought enough groceries to last out the week. By then my SS will have hit the bank and I can go back for more groceries. Yesterday I have a severe dizzy spell and had to get off my feet for a while. Afterward I was really tired. Even a six or seven hours of sleep I'm still tired. The skin right around my eyes burns and I'm having a bit more trouble with my balance than usual. I hope it passes soon because it's irritating.
The wife, kids and I just got back from walmart a little bit ago just to stock up on stuff for next year like bows paper and such. I wouldn't want to be those people standing in line with a return.There had to be at least a hundred.
I've been having a good day so far. I got a couple woodland scenics model. they are in a little pack and they are made of like cast tin or something. I got one that was a bulldozer with a log sling built into the back, and I got the rural sawmill too. I figure it will be fun to try to make them into a switch end.
Jeffrey, you'd better pay attention to those dissyness spots you've been having. My dad started like that and it ended up being full blown vertigo. Now he's gotta get up so vertigoed, that he has to crawl into the bathrooms in the morning sometimes. I've had to take him to a few to the doctor and all they do is load him up with some kind of shot and send him home with nothing more to do than sleep it off. I think his medicine is called mezcelene or something like that.
Tonight: Some clouds. Low 13F. Winds WSW at 5 to 10 mph.
Tomorrow: Partly to mostly cloudy. High 29F. Winds SW at 10 to 15 mph.
Tomorrow night: Mainly cloudy. Low 19F. Winds WSW at 5 to 10 mph.
Wednesday: Intervals of clouds and sunshine in the morning with more clouds for later in the day. High 32F. Winds SSW at 5 to 10 mph.
Looks like it's still lookin like a chest freezer here at least for a couple days though. I'll just work on my models. I've got my hyster tractor and log skinner started, I need more superglue to finish it.
Yesterday I have a severe dizzy spell and had to get off my feet for a while. Afterward I was really tired. Even a six or seven hours of sleep I'm still tired. The skin right around my eyes burns and I'm having a bit more trouble with my balance than usual. I hope it passes soon because it's irritating.
Today was pretty strange at work. The guy that is supposed to plow the parking lot didn't bother showing up for work until noon. So, guess who had to get the tractor, hook up the box blade, and plow the driveway and parking areas this morning...
Yeah, the guy from Florida and California that has only seen snow from about 30 miles away in the last 30 or so years...
I had a few choice words for the weasel that didn't show up. He said he couldn't make it in because of the weather. I told him if I could make it to work in a 2 wheel drive pickup without snow tires, chains, or anything else, and the last time I drove in snow was when Jimmy Carter was president, he could get his lazy carcass to work to do what he was paid to do. Only I wasn't that nice about it...
I helped my dad at work to day. Rockefeller estate, and cattle farm (cows gotta eat) plowed snow shoveled out buildings and feed bunks ect. Its going to take a big guy to stop me from hitting the next person that I hear complain about the cost of beef/food in the country. To any one on here that was is or knows a farmer thank him next time because its hard work trying to keep cows fed after a blizzard.
I had a few choice words for the weasel that didn't show up. He said he couldn't make it in because of the weather. I told him if I could make it to work in a 2 wheel drive pickup without snow tires, chains, or anything else, and the last time I drove in snow was when Jimmy Carter was president, he could get his lazy carcass to work to do what he was paid to do. Only I wasn't that nice about it...
Can't say as I blame you there. If I was in the same shape I was in ten years ago I would have kicked his butt up between his shoulder blades and hoped he didn't like it and wanted to do something about it. One thing I can't abide is lazy people.
Good morning. It's a nice balmy 38° here in the Sportsman's Paradise. We're expecting a high of 55° with the sun making brief appearances throughout the day. No autographs please. Tonight should be a little warmer than last night as we're expecting a low of 40°.
I'm going to attempt to get some layout work done today. Yesterday the most I could do was look at it as I was feeling so tired. I feel a bit better this morning. We'll see how long that lasts once I get busy. One of today's planned projects is to make a railroad crossing using nothing more than two thin strips of wood and some wall joint compound. I usually use waxed shoestrings but seeing as I don't have any and don't feel like going to get any the strips of wood will have to do.
Well, our snow totals for the season are in so far. We have had 47.5 inches of snow so far. Now some of you lake effect snow people will say that you've had more and I know that. Our problem is that it hasn't melted a bit. We still have most of the 47.5 inches on or around the ground! That is our average snow amount for the whole year. Okay, enough of the whining. I just couldn't believe how much snow we've had so far.
I received the Walthers Cottage Grove church in the mail yesterday. I was very happy to find this kit since it's out of production right now. It will be perfect in my growing small town. The towns people just received concrete roads and now their getting a church! Now that's progress.
The plan is to do whatever I want to today. Sounds like a good idea huh?
Good morning everyone! Well, the weather is going to be a bit cool today, but it should be in the low forty's by the end of the week. It's supposed to rain later in the week too. So where I park my truck should be a total mud-hole by the end of the week. At least I don't have any doctor's appts this week. My wife and I are starting counseling later this week, so wish me luck! Now I am going to go get some superglue and then start putting my diecast models together.
It was 29 F when I headed out this morning. We are supposed to reach 35 F.
I had to contend with some ice on the back steps and along the walkway out to my wife’s car this morning. I threw some salt on it last night which soften the ice. This morning before I headed out I had to scrap it of the area. Roads were clear. In a few areas they have not fully plowed them and some lanes are missing. At few intersections it was creating problems because left turns and/or right turns were blocking thru lanes.
Last night I had to go and return a broiler pan we got for Christmas Eve dinner. The box said it was 16 inches but it actually was about 19 to 19 ½ inches because of the way they shaped the ends to act as handles. Our oven is only 18 ½ inches wide. We were able to find one that fit our oven on Christmas Eve so dinner was not a problem. Even at 6 PM last night the stores and roads were empty. I guess a lot of people just stayed home and did not venture out. By that time the roads were fine.
Spent the rest of the evening watching a couple of DVD’s in the nice warm house.