WPF August 27 - Sept 2

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


Larry .... Great looking Texaco station
Mike Arnold ... I like your coal train, the new BNSF locos, and the scenery.
Michael ... Nicely weathered box cars.
Josh ... Good work with the warehouse.

Below is a westbound Burlington Zephyr

E7satVH1_zps1ec7bfb1.jpg
 


Larry and Gary .... Thanks for commenting. ... The houses are smaller than HO (close to N scale) and are from a dollar store. I repainted parts of them to look more real. They are cast from resin I think.

DA looking forward to your next post as you mentioned.
 
GarryCBQ,

Great looking train and scenery, beautifully done. Hard to imagine that the houses in the background are just from a dollar store though, you have made them fit in very very well.
 
M T S,

That is a great looking gas station/ grocery store!! I seem to recall plans for a VERY similar structure in an old issue of MR, I think from the 70s?? I even gave very serious consideration to building it.

Is your structure possibly based on those plans??

I'd like to find out (remember?) which issue of MR those structure plans are in, as I STILL want to build it some day, perhaps with a detailed interior, for a Pennsylvania coal town on my (in the planning stage) Pittsburgh & Lake Erie RR layout set in 1952. I know I have that issue SOMEWHERE in my collection, just finding it after a move is a daunting task.

Either way, GREAT looking model!!

PLE
 
Josh, your tire plant facility is coming along nicely, and I'm looking forward to seeing the progress.

Garry, that's a sweet Zephyr, and those $ store houses look GREAT!

Larry & Steve, thank you for the kind words on Sam's Grocery Store. It was a fun build, but my favorite was adding all the detailed do-dads.

PLE, thank you for the kudos on the grocery store. I didn't see the plans in an old MR magazine so I don't know what issue you're looking. Actually part of it was build several years ago, and after two weeks, I finished it today.

Thanks again for looking,
D.A.
 


As always, great modeling being shown here! Kudos to all of you...

I have been little by little finishing up the bridge project for the SLOW. Put wood boards on the approach to the tracks, and a fine coat of drywall mud on the plywood.

GirderBridgeRoad01w_zpsb660d297.png


Painted the roadbed with the earth color I use under scenery:

GirderBridgeRoad02w_zps06118c4d.png


when that was dry, I put down a coat of white glue, then sprinked rock dust (from a local quarry) over the glue:

GirderBridgeRoad03w_zpsf28724a0.png


After the glue dried, I put the bridge itself in place over the road:

SmallGirder31w_zps9d3a5f31.png


This coming week I hope to finish the approach (the fill) to both sides of the bridge, put plaster cloth down, and start to lay track over the bridge....
 
Mike,

Nice job on the weathering. Are those Crowley Containers the Crowley Dairy Products Crowley by any chance?
 
DA ... Your general store looks terrific. You are very talented.
Ray ... Your bridge project is will reult in a fabulous scene.
Mike Arnold ... I like your intermodal equipment.

Thanks to everyone who commented on my Zephyr.

Here are more photos of my back corner scene.

Car308VH1.jpg


NPpsgrVH01.jpg


zzGNfulldomevh01.jpg
 
This is the first time I've looked at your thread. WOW! Are those silver-painted heavyweight "Q" cars "betterments" or MOW? See you also model the North Coast Limited (or similar NP trains) and Empire Builder (or other GN streamliners). Man can't be all bad with models of the Jim Hill roads before the merger! ;) One of these days I'd like to post a picture of my E-5A leading the Denver Zephyr. Of course, my scenery is nowhere as good as yours!
 
trailroder .... Thanks for commenting. .... Burlington modernized many of its heavyweight cars including aluminum color paint to look better with Budd stainless steel cars. The rear car is a diner-parlor car, and ahead of it is a sleeper. ... I have mostly CB&Q trains, but include GN and NP for variety. ..... I like E5's too.
 
Ray, your crossing/bridge is coming along nicely, as usual.

Mike, excellent weathering job; looks real.

Garry, your work is outstanding. I'd love to see a close-up of the waterfall. Did you paint your background on some type of material; it looks great.

D.A.
 
Thanks for all the comments guys. Took a short video at the club today. I'm really impressed with how much these can pull! I could probably add 5 more and still be okay. Wish my SD70MAC worked better at the club so I could throw that into the mix.

BNSF Manifest Freight: http://youtu.be/5RmvhGCKOW0
 


trailroder .... Thanks for commenting. .... Burlington modernized many of its heavyweight cars including aluminum color paint to look better with Budd stainless steel cars. The rear car is a diner-parlor car, and ahead of it is a sleeper. ... I have mostly CB&Q trains, but include GN and NP for variety. ..... I like E5's too.

Me, too! The E5 was kitbashed from a Proto2000 E6, with .010" thick corregated pieces added to the sides. I chose not to mess with the engine room window on the side of the E6 body, but it looks close enough to an E5 to be "good enough". I used to ride the original 9900 and some of its sisters from Chicago to downstate Illinois to see my grandparents (with my folks, of course). Now, it sits in the Museum of Science & Industry, minus the 4th car. (If they could de-age me to a 6-year old child, they could stick me in the Zephyr! :rolleyes: I, too, have a North Coast Ltd and an Empire Builder that I run occasionally. This in the '40's and '50's period. However, when the grandkids come over, I have to run a GP38-2 painted for BNSF, with a train of grain cars, since they can only relate to stuff they see on the main line near here! I think we lost a great part of American heritage when the railroads sold their passenger service to Amtrak. Of course it was a matter of economics, but, golly it was fun riding on those crack passenger trains.
 




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top