WPF 19 20 21 October

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


hoppers_009a.jpg

Atlas ACF 3-Bay Cylindrical Hopper: Penn Central

hoppers_012a.jpg

Atlas ACF 3-Bay Cylindrical Hopper: Grand Trunk

hoppers_014a.jpg

Atlas TRAINMAN AAR 70 Ton 3-Bay Hopper: New Haven

hoppers_016a.jpg

Atlas TRAINMAN AAR 70 Ton 3-Bay Hopper with Arched Ends: Chessie (B&O)
 
hoppers_018a.jpg

Atlas TRAINMAN AAR 70 Ton 3-Bay Hopper with Arched Ends: Chessie (B&O)

hoppers_019a.jpg

Atlas TRAINMAN AAR 70 Ton 3-Bay Hopper: Chessie (C&O)

hoppers_022a.jpg

Atlas TRAINMAN AAR 70 Ton 3-Bay Hopper: Chessie (C&O)
 
hoppers_024a.jpg

Atlas TRAINMAN AAR 70 Ton 3-Bay Hopper: Reading

hoppers_026a.jpg

Atlas TRAINMAN AAR 70 Ton 3-Bay Hopper: Reading

hoppers_027a.jpg

Athearn Kit Wide Vision Caboose: Penn Central

I still need to add some coal to the plastic loads that came with the hoppers. The load looks a little too plasticity for me.
 


Hey guys , Jos , John , Jeffrey , Ray , Gappleg , Selector , Tom really awesome work . tom I use to play on Hooker Chemical Cars when I was a youg and dumb kid growing up . Didin't know any better and then The Love Canal was discovered in my old city !!!!!
 
Holy WOW John, that bridge, AMAZING! Care to enlighten us with a how-to on that? I'd like to see how you did it.

My city hall project nearing completion and some road signs, printed out as decals.
hall002.png
"NO PARKING Police Cars"? Hummm, I think for one, the sign is backwards, for two, the cops need to read, they're not allowed to park there!

Kidding! I think you should add the word "Only" to that.
 
Jos, those modules really look like I remember the countryside in the Netherlands when I was there a few years ago. Very nice job indeed.

Tom, nice work on those engines and cars but I really like the track detail and the background scenery. They set off the work you've done on the motive power and rolling stock very well.

Gappleg, the city hall came out very nicely. I like the desert landscaping and the police cars of course. :) Your town must have collected a lot of traffic fines with that old Caprice to afford that new Dodge Charger. Josh, I didn't think about the sign or how it was pointing until you mentioned it. LOL.

Ray, I've been waiting for that band to show up. Looks like a great place for music and a beer on a warm summer night.

Sorry, I know I've missed others who've psoted but I always forget once I start writing. I haven't seen a bad picture yet though.

My contribution is pretty modest. I needed a view block of my long straightaway going out of town. Since this is a fictional central Alabama town, big hills and tunnels don't really fit in. We do have little hills and lots of trees so I decided to try that approach. I built a small ridge about six inches high and landscaped the ridge with undergrowth and an attempt at Kudzu vines and then planted the trees. The first picture shows the results looking across Main Street at the new geology:

LowhillseenacrossMainMedium.jpg


This shot is looking up Main Street with all the new trees in the background. The taller trees are ones I made for Crape Myrtle blooms that I described in another post. You can see I still need to add some additional landscaping to the front of the ridge to blend it into the remaining pink prarie:

LowHillupMainMedium.jpg


There's a train behind all those trees, as shown by this picture. It also shows my one big regret with this layout - putting my mainline too close to the back wall. It's going to make a realistic looking background more difficult that it has to be:

TrainbehindlowhillMedium.jpg


I planted 62 trees on that stretch of ridge and that doesn't count the little bushes, just actual trees. It's a little over 10 feet long. I was really surprised at how many trees I needed to make such a relatively small space look like a forest.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Great pictures everyone, no models for me today, just been out to see an early morning steam special go through, all my normal places were facing the sun so i opted for a town centre shot, up front two 4-6-0's and on the rear a dead diesel
10-08-07002-5.jpg

10-08-07003-2.jpg

10-08-07004-5.jpg
 
Jim nice shots there , Can't you put some pictures or paintings behind your mainline to kinda take away your cinderblock wall ? Steve always enjoy your Steam shots !!!
 
I took this photo this morning and thought it belongs here. I like the misty effect in the background. This photo hasn't been retouched at all.

P1010001-17.jpg
 
Some Virgin train action
Here Pendolino set being towed on it's diverted route through Manchester by a class 57 "Thunderbird" loco, engineering work today means all services have to be dragged over non electrified routes
10-08-07067.jpg

and a virgin 57 on lease to a freight company seen here with a load of empty log wagons
10-08-07047.jpg

and a new Transpenine express 185, these are great little commuter trains
10-08-07072.jpg
 


Ray, I've been waiting for that band to show up. Looks like a great place for music and a beer on a warm summer night.

Sorry, no beer allowed. (Cousin Rose might have a little something at the diner to spike the coffee if you ask her real nice. ) 1925, right in the middle of Prohibition ya know! You can bring something called "near beer", but I hear it just ain't like the real thing. ;) ;) :D
 
Jim nice shots there , Can't you put some pictures or paintings behind your mainline to kinda take away your cinderblock wall ? Steve always enjoy your Steam shots !!!

Yes, I'm planning on doing that but, if I had a left a a few more inches between the mainline and the wall, I could use just a sky backdrop plus some background trees and hills to blend things together. A flat backdrop can still look good, like the one that Jeffrey posted, but I like to make mine a little more 3-D if I can. Not much room ther for that, darn it.

Steve, looks like it was a cold morning for that steam run by the amount of exhaust steam. Were the engines running in tourist service on a a mainline there?

Ray, I just assume that bandstand is in Alabama, where Prohibition was a suggestion, rather than a law. :) Forgot to mention that forest you planted too. That looked like quite an undertaking but came out real nice.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
You guys always post WOW photos... This weekend is no different. Great shots everyone!


Here's a shot of LGM at the Colorado RR Museum Thursday. He (we) had an absolute blast!

1634678468_09a23cecfc_o.jpg
 
Jim The trains are on the main line, they are fully certified for anything a diesel can do, today they were on a special excursion for the folks of Blackpool. I was not happy when i found out i missed another steam special an hour later going the opposite way, oh well at least we saw one.
GM Looks like a fun day was had by all.
 
Love those 185 's Steve see loads going through Saddleworth and past ASDA in Ashton-under-Lyne. Mrs RJR likes them too even offered to get me one !!! Dont think anyone produces that scheme though :(

John
RJR
 
Fine looking weathering there Steve. I particularly like the covered hopper.:cool:


One more shot from this past week, the west portal of the Moffat Tunnel at Winter Park, Colo.
1658113238_3327ff073d_o.jpg
 


"NO PARKING Police Cars"? Hummm, I think for one, the sign is backwards, for two, the cops need to read, they're not allowed to park there!

Kidding! I think you should add the word "Only" to that.


Believe it or not that's from a real sign companys website as an actual sign. I did turn them so it could be read in the pix, they're going back the other way now that the pixs are done.
 
Last edited by a moderator:




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top