Why DCC?

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


I know what you're saying about realistic operation and I value it tremendously. That's why chose my power pack and locomotives the way I did. My railpower 1370 does just fine with my Kato's, Atlas's and broken-in, regeared, and de-peanut-buttered P2K's and my Athearns (which have poorer slow speed operation than the others right out of the box). I can't imagine anybody wanting them to creep any more slowly than what mine do. And I'm sure there are more sophisticated DC systems than mine out there.

For $35 bucks for the railpower and a $60 Atlas from Ebay, the OP will do just fine with slow speed operation.

Now, when I was a kid, my old Tyco power pack and AHM locomotives started at about 30 mph. I tried to make them do wheelies but I never could, even with traction tires.:D

I'm not disagreeing with you on any specific point, nor am I saying that the OP should not consider DCC. And I'll admit, overall, DCC is a better product because of its numerous features, but its not always necessarily more desireable in every model railroad. IMO, the real advantages to DCC is its ability to control multiple locomotives independently. How much of that is desired varies from modeler to modeler, and those modelers who have DCC for that reason should not assume that that kind of operation is what everyone wants (not that you have done that). In fact, controlling many locomotives at the same time does not ensure greater realism than controlling only one at a time, especially if the modeler has limited space.

But for a lot of model train operators, it is more fun.

I sure didn't want the discussion to get too charged up either. Then a bunch of us would be shouting at each other over who's right, and that's not what this is about. I agree with you that Fazby probably doesn't need to change over, especially since he isn't inclined to. In the end, we each decide if we open the wallet or not. But his perceptions of what could be gained were way short of what they truly are, and his perceptions of the potential problems are way more than what they truly are. Bottom line for anyone thinking of switching: Try it on a friends layout. Join the DCC list and maybe talk to a dealer or two. Make an informed decision. Some modelers have good reason not to switch over, but so many more are just plain scared to change. I know many older modelers with established layouts that have switched over and are glad they did.

OTOH, I'm not trying to sell it. I just want to get the necessary information out there.
 
Okay, here's my take on it (from a DCC proponent):

If you are going to run your engines on your layout, and not have anybody else over to run theirs, you will only ever need DC.
If you are only going to run your trains at home, and never take them anywhere else (friend, club), you will only need DC.
IF YOU ARE HAPPY WITH WHAT YOU HAVE, and don't want to convert your stuff, you will only need DC.

If, however, you belong to a club, or have friends that may come over, or you may go to their house to run trains, it would be a very good idea to at least get something digital so you can at least have a clue what's going on when either your friends come over or you go somewhere else to run trains.
Many "cheap" decoders will run just as well on DC as they will on DCC. Bachmann DCC Installed units come to mind, and they don't cost much more than a regular analog unit. A single 70 ton Bachmann switcher is about $60 or so, and you could go to a friend's or a club and run your DCC train, then come home and run the same train on your home DC layout with no trouble.
 
When I got back into the hobby 4 years ago, I found DC to be tedious to wire, even on my small HO layout. I very quickly decided DCC was the way to go.
1} I have one set of wires conected to my track and one set of feeders, {though I should add another feeder I think} on my two interconnected ovals, 4 spur yard, and two engine service tracks- just 4 wires! {soon to be 6}
2} I can run more than one loco on this setup and control each one individually, even in opposite directions
3} I didn't have to do any blocks...not even between the two ovals
4} I found it easier all hte way around.
I do not have sound either,a nd don't really want it. I have the simple to use Bachmann EZ Command DCC system and mainly use Bachmann DCC Onboard Locos.
WOrks for me.
Just my thoughts, opinions, ideas and experiences, others may vary
________
DIGITAL EASY VAPE INSTRUCTIONS
 
Last edited by a moderator:




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top