DCC is not new, as its pushing 20 years now since its first release. Lenz first demonstrated their new product in the late '80's at the NMRA conventions. With in a couple of years, Lenz gave their digital communication standards to the NMRA, which became the Standards for Command Control. I believe the first commercial units not made by Lenz, started coming out in 1991 or 92.
I'd say 20 years is pretty new by "model railroading" time ;D And besides, they didn't become reliable and affordable until the last 5 years, correct?
Each technology, DC & DCC has its place, and I've never denied it. But you are trying to make it more complicated than it needs to be. While there are more small layouts out there than big ones, still wiring a small layout for multiple train ops is a lot easier with DCC, and costs just about the same. It also can involve just the 2 wires to the track as with your basic DC. (Bachmann's E-Z Command is one of if not the most basic of DCC systems, can be had for $50, or less, esp if you go with a used system.) Now while "2 wires to the tracks", has always been the most basic of wiring, it has also always been a good idea to have supplemental feeders to the tracks, whether its wired for DC or DCC, to prevent voltage drop due to bad rail joiner connections and such.
But I'm also saying that as DCC becomes less expensive so does DC. And using the low entry prices based on used equipment isn't fair - by those standards there are boxes of DC power supplies that people are giving away.
Check the older magazines from even as far back as the 40's and 50's. On their small layout build articles, most no bigger than 4x8's, MR, RMC, Model Trains, (and probably a few others time has forgot over the years,) always stressed adding more than one set of feeders to the tracks for electrical reliability. I don't think that attitude has changed since then.
Now, I'm not advocating that a modeler with a simple point to point or loop layout, who only runs one loco at a time and no more, needs DCC, I never said that. Its just as soon as the modeler decides he wants to run more than that one loco, or even to run 2 at the same time, the wiring starts down a more complicated route. Even if its just adding a kill switch to a section of track, its still more complicated than the original 2 wires to the track in DC. With DCC it doesn't have to be. That's all I'm saying.
PS. I have to agree with the others, this IS a very interesting discussion!
I'm saying there are more people wanting to run trains that aren't wanting to get complicated to any degree. Look at Kato and Bachmann's track systems that include the roadbed. The bulk of people buying that probably don't even have interest in a semi-permanent layout - just something they can throw together on the floor or table and run trains for a few hours or a weekend, then box it up for another day. I just think there are a lot more people in that category than ones looking to build permanent layouts with multiple operators.
