It occurred to me that your reality setting in experience is why we have so many people introduce themselves on this forum then after a while fade away and disappear. We keep a core membership and a bunch of newbies only a fraction hang of which stay around to become core members. I've seen ambitious plans presented here I really wondered how it would get accomplished, then fade away. This hobby does take some commitment in time, money, space and even in your relationship with a spouse and most don't realize it right away. The good part is you can leave it alone and it will wait for you. Don't give up Tony, just re-think it a little.
You do see a lot of people come and go, that is for sure. Some are here out of curiosity, some to gather ideas and some start with an inspiration then, as you said, discover it is more than just a hobby - it's an addiction and a time consuming, cash consuming one at that. I think a lot of people look at the hobby and think of the "good old fashion" Target, K Mart sets - ready to run and think to themselves "how hard can this be?" A bit of track, plug it together, put a train on it and go go go. Then realize just how much is really involved and don't have the level of interest to keep going.
G'day Tony....Is a layout ever actually finished ?...I wonder......No joke , as much fun in running trains for me is "getting to the running trains" stage...I think the journey is truly as much fun as the destination...I was a bit like you.lot's going on but not really getting anywhere..One day about 15 months ago I looked at my partially built first layout and said 'Nah..this isn't happening how I want" so within a day or two I'd dismantled my buildings , ripped up the track and scenery and suddenly had a pretty much bare board again...as a stopgap I hunted out some old BachmannEZY TRack...ran a decent loop around just so I could run a train for fun...Then during summer back in Jan/Feb I began elevating the benchwork and began planning out the new and improved layout..Now I'm happier but doubt I'll ever completely finish it. cos' What do I do then ?.build another one I suppose ......Cheers Rod
I ripped out my first layout because t wasn't big enough, good enough or interesting enough and literally started again. The point is that no matter what you have (figuratively speaking) there ALWAYS seems to be more that you want, and so expansion continues. As such, a layout most likely IS never finished.
I feel that Rodney has probably hit the nail on the head. A layout probably is never finished. I started mine over 20 years ago. I had a plan which I have pretty well stuck to, but over the years, ones skills improve and changes will probably always happen. I haven't ripped out the entire layout, but there are sections that just didn't look right and some track was removed, or moved, to make the layout work better. I had about a ten year period when almost nothing was done, mainly due to the lack of hobby shops and modeling supplies. Now that e-retailers have filled the gap, I have been able to move forward, but there area areas where improvements can be made. As I mentioned, ones skills to improve and ones standards can change. The hobby is something that can keep you going for decades.
Again, I couldn't agree more, especially with your comments about skills and standards. The longer you are involved, the more you learn, the better your skills become and; therefore, the more "issues" you spot with your layout that need to be re done, replaced or something. As has already been said - it is a never ending hobby, which is what makes it so interesting, intriguing and addictive.
As I write this, I am determined to complete my wife's layout - one way or the other. To take a step back and rethink a few things, drag out some of the books I bought on wiring and actually read them. I hate reading! Take a deep breathe, follow Suzies List and go a bit slower.
Thanks to all who have posted here, I have appreciated all of your comments and support, now it's time to get back to work!