What type of rock?

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


zoegraf

Craftsman at heart
Can someone help me to identify what type of rock this is?

If I can have it identified I might be able to find a mould to get this look.
 
It's location would narrow it down a bit.

Southern New Brunswick but there are so many formations there. Here are some shots of them; all within several square miles of each other. I've never come across any moulds that look like these.
 


What was wrong with the old Brunswick? :confused: Nevermind. :rolleyes:

Could it be pre-cambrian schist?.......the rock I mean.


Raifan
(flunked geology)
 
What was wrong with the old Brunswick? :confused: Nevermind. :rolleyes:

Could it be pre-cambrian schist?.......the rock I mean.


Raifan
(flunked geology)

I don't even know where the old Brunswick was, but I do know the new one was a new British colony carved out of Nova Scotia in order to accommodate an influx of refuge crown loyalists and former black slaves who fought alongside the British during the war of independence.

Anyway, the province has some kick has geological formations and fossils.
 


The rocks looks like porfrey shale too me. It is soft and oxidizes badly when exposed to the elements. This might be something that is easier to carve. I think I'd try to go that route instead of the rock mold.
 
The three photos in the later post definately looks like some sort of shale. The photo in the original post doesn't really look like it has the same layered look, at least not from the angle the photo is taken.

Note that none of the W.S. molds really represent blasted rock like in a right of way cutting; they're all solid outcroppings.
 
The rocks looks like porfrey shale too me. It is soft and oxidizes badly when exposed to the elements. This might be something that is easier to carve. I think I'd try to go that route instead of the rock mold.


What material would you suggest carving?
 
Thank you everyone.

I think I have a piece of that type of rock somewhere in storage. Whenever I find it, I'll get a geologist to tell me what it is.
 
What material would you suggest carving?

I'd use the blue or pink foam and put a layer of plaster on it after getting the general shape and look you want. After the plaster sets you could do more carving to finish off the details.

On the other hand, if you have the rock available just make a mold...
Problem solved:)
 
I'd use the blue or pink foam and put a layer of plaster on it after getting the general shape and look you want. After the plaster sets you could do more carving to finish off the details.

On the other hand, if you have the rock available just make a mold...
Problem solved:)


That's an idea worth considering and probably cost effective. Can you buy this blue or pink foam at places like Home Depot in small pieces?

As for my rocks, they are somewhere lost in storage.
 
With a little careful work a shale cliff can be created simply by working a piece of blue foam board with a serrated knife and a wire brush. Below is an example of such that is on my layout.

rockstrata_edited-1A.jpg


NYW&B
 


That's an idea worth considering and probably cost effective. Can you buy this blue or pink foam at places like Home Depot in small pieces?

As for my rocks, they are somewhere lost in storage.


2x8 sheets, if the rock pictures are from near your home, they are at the home depot just up the way.
 




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top