ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.
BNSF uses this caboose in there La Mirada, CA Industrial Complex that they switch. I want to model a couple of the industries from the complex, and would like to model the 2 BNSF GP60M's that switch out the complex (both of which are in the old Santa Fe Red/Silver Paint) and the caboose that they use.
Here are a couple pictures of the caboose and the locomotives, can someone tell me what model the caboose is?
BNSF GP60M #'s 153 & 158
These pictures were taken while the 2 GP60M's were parked next to the Airgas Facility
Thanks in advance for any help identifying what model the caboose is
Extended vision caboose
In the "Extended Vision" or "Wide Vision" caboose, the sides of the cupola project beyond the side of the carbody. Rock Island created some of these by rebuilding some standard cupola cabooses with windowed extensions applied to the sides of the cupola itself, but by far the greatest number have the entire cupola compartment enlarged. This model was introduced by the International Car Company and saw service on most U.S. railroads. The expanded cupola allowed the crew to see past the top of the taller cars that began to appear after World War II, and also increased the roominess of the cupola area.
Additionally, Monon Railroad had a unique change to the extended vision cabooses. They added a miniature bay to the sides of the cupola to enhance the views further. This created a unique look for their small fleet. Seven of the eight Monon-built cabooses have been saved. One was scrapped after an accident in Kentucky. The surviving cars are at the Indiana Transportation Museum (operational), the French Lick Museum (operational), the Kentucky Railroad Museum (fire damaged), and the Bluegrass Railroad Museum (unrestored but servicable). The remaining three are in private collections.
Thanks for the link. The first thing i notice is that my caboose has 2 rounded corner windows on the right side and only one rounded corner window on the left side. The Athearn cabooses have square windows and then a third rounded corner window between the 2
My caboose also has no roofwalk, the Athearn model does. The Athearn model also has the ladders on each end, where my picture has grab irons to the right of the upper structure on either side of the caboose.
The Windows on the Athearn model appear to have larger rounded corner windows on the upper part of the caboose. The Upper part of the caboose also appears to be offset to the left whereas my caboose's upper structure was centered dead center on the caboose.
The Athearn model has too many windows on the end where the door is. My caboose has only one window in the door, where the Athearn model has a window in the door + a window to either side of the door.
The Underframe of the Athearn model also appears to be different then mine in the picture and is missing the large box thing in the center of the car.
I just spent about an hour looking for a model that was close to mine, browsing through all the main manufactures, and came up empty. Was this caboose possibly a re-build? Does anyone know if they make this model caboose in HO scale or will I have to do some heavy modifications to a model that is close to get what I want?
Dang your right, that Rapido Model is pretty close. It still has the square windows, but I think I could live with that. I also noticed the Rapido model has 2 of those smokestacks? and my picture shows only one, but that is dang close, only if they wernt sold out Guess ill have to search for one somewhere.
Any other manufactures make one that is a close match like the Rapido?
The local still uses the caboose when switching the industrial complex. I saw another caboose along with 2 more locomotives (one was also in the red/silver paint and one was in the orange/green Heritage II paint) but they were parked too far from anywhere I could easily access them so I couldnt get any pictures of them this time.
A little bit of modification to either one would probably give you the match you're looking for. For example, on the Athearn, you could remove the roofwalk, add grab irons, fill in and add windows as necessary using styrene and modeling putty, remove the ladders, and a few other mods (looks like the model sits a bit higher than the prototype). The toolbox is probably on the other side of the Athearn model. It'd be a bit of work, but I'm sure you could come up with a great model and it would definitely would be unique!
It's a Santa Fe class CE-11, the last batch of cabooses they received. The maker was International Car Co., in 1981.
It looks like the Santa Fe has the cupola centered on the car body, and I can't think of a plastic model that has that feature. It's almost certain it's longer than the Athearn model, which is based on a shorty Rock Island caboose that wasn't repeated.
I'm not real familiar with the Rapido model, but I think the cupola on that is blockier and more squarish.
The Atlas models came and went but there are still some in hobbyshops. They don't seem to have done a Santa Fe, which might mean it's too far off to get away with. I'm pretty sure the cupola is offset toward one end.
Brass cabooses have been getting cheaper and cheaper. You might find a match on eBay or somewhere like Original Whistle Stop or Caboose Hobbies. I'm using some Overland-made UP cabooses that roll pretty well with Intermountain's ball-bearing wheelsets under them. Though at five feet, they're hard to distinguish from the Trix and Des Plaines plastic ones . . .
Josh that's a pretty interesting variation on a wide vision caboose and one I think is worth modelling. So pick yourself up an Athearn job and a few detail parts plus some Evergreen styrene and repeat after me: " kitbash, KITBASH! "
Since the side window placement is not symetrical it might be easier to start with 2 cabooses and splice in the panels either blanks or with the window to get the location closer to the prototypes. Some careful cutting and splicing of roof sections would allow offsetting the cupola from center. One complete caboose and a spare body from Athearn ought to cover all the basics. I'd use undecs if I could get them.
Well, it nails it if you want to spend the equivalent of a sound-decoder-equipped locomotive or a mile of flextrack. Not being an ATSF follower, I don't know if there have been earlier runs of this caboose that might go for less.
NH Mike's idea of blending a couple Athearn cabooses to add length and center the cupola might get you close enough and leave change from $20.
Looks like one window on the air reservoir side and two on the toolbox side, with three panels either side of the cupola.
IC/ICG had some of these as well. Most of their cabooses I see were Centralia built, rebuilt from some International Car cabooses, with extended porches, better cushioned draft gear, no running boards. These shorter ones (like the CE11) were similar to ones that the GM&O had and ICG picked them up in the merger.
I'm making a couple using the Athearn Blue Box wide vision as a basis. I've filled in the running board holes in the roof with putty. I purchased the BLMA jig for the grab irons, and will use A-Line stirrups. I'll have to build my own end railings, as the Blue Box ones are too plain. I'm not really messing with the windows, since in my research, almost each caboose has a different position for the windows (and that's the problem with most all the caboose models out there...the windows don't match up with the models). Not really an issue until you find that there isn't room to put the herald in the right place (I have several home made foobies because of this issue).
Still, it's a neat project. I did like the FRED on the end of a caboose.
Josh None of the models of the Santa Fe wide vision cabooses are correct. The Santa Fe wide visions cupolas are centered whereas the Athearns are offset. Besides the Rapido ones having two stacks the windows are wrong. If can live w/ these inaccuracies, go for it. Besides it's your RR. Also BNSF is still using the BN wide visions & those models are alot closer to prototype. Don't know personally if any are used in CA though. Stephen Priest's "Santa Fe Waycars" has a good write up on the 3 classes of wide visions.
WOW Thank you guys for all the reply's and information
I really appreciate all the help in the possibilities of kitbashing one to get what I would need. Im thinking about it, but right now, after looking at that Overland Brass Caboose, it is pretty dang close, if not almost identical to the pictures I took. If I can get my hands on one of those, Im going for it and ill just re-number it to match the one I have pictures of, which shouldnt be too hard to change the last 2 numbers. Of coarse, $299 is retail, and the only way Im even going to consider getting one is if I can either get it at cost from one of my suppliers or pick one up on ebay lol
Thanks again for everyones replies and suggestions on how to kitbash one that would be close, Ive bookmarked this thread for future reference if I do decide to go the kitbashing way