What Kinda Caboose is This?

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


I can't help you with your caboose quest but I was wondering if you had anymore pictures of the industrial park that you could post Josh?

Hi Stephen, is there specific areas of the industrial park you would like to see? I need to make another trip out there as when I went out there i didnt know what parts I wanted to model so the pictures I got wernt all that great lol
 
Anything would be great. It's not often I see one that isn't run down and over run with weeds. Is it a fairly new park?
 
Anything would be great. It's not often I see one that isn't run down and over run with weeds. Is it a fairly new park?

Ill get some pictures up for you in a few minutes. Im off to eat dinner real quick and then will be back to post some pictures :D

La Mirada industrial park isnt even close to being new, there are alot of parts of the area that are in pretty poor condition track wise. Alot of spurs have also been removed/are in the process of being removed, so there is missing rails and such. It is a very busy area though, and makes for some great modeling!
 


Stephen, Ill post some pictures for you, if you have any questions about any of the pictures please let me know and I will do my best to answer or explain where the location of the picture was.

First thing ill do is post a link to Bing Maps of the Industrial Park so you can browse around it as well. This link puts you viewing Airgas, with the La Mirada Yard just to the left and the BNSF Mainline running parallel with Stage Road

http://www.bing.com/maps/#JnE9LmxhK...lMTEuNjkwODE5OTM2MzI2MSU3ZS0xNTguNjYyMTM5ODky


And here are some pictures. Please excuse my thumb as he made an appearance in some of the pictures. These are the ones I had to use my grandfathers camera to take because mine died halfway through the trip and im not used to taking pictures with his camera lol


SL370067.jpg


SL370069.jpg


SL370070.jpg


SL370071.jpg


SL370072.jpg


SL370074.jpg


SL370076.jpg


SL370078.jpg


SL370079.jpg


SL370086.jpg


SL370087.jpg


SL370088.jpg


SL370089.jpg


SL370090.jpg


SL370091.jpg


SL370092.jpg


SL370093.jpg


SL370095.jpg


SL370096.jpg


SL370100.jpg


SL370101.jpg


SL370102.jpg


SL370105.jpg


SL370107.jpg


SL370111.jpg


SL370112.jpg


SL370113.jpg


SL370122.jpg


SL370127.jpg


SL370128.jpg


SL370129.jpg


SL370130.jpg


SL370133.jpg


SL370140.jpg


SL370141.jpg


SL370142.jpg


SL370143.jpg


SL370144.jpg


SL370145.jpg


SL370148.jpg


SL370149.jpg


SL370151.jpg


SL370153.jpg


SL370154.jpg


SL370157.jpg
 
You might also want to check out Atlas' International Extended Vision caboose from their Master Series for your project. You could probably also find the older non master series version on places like eBay. Either way the Atlas model's roof and ends of the car are closer to the picture although the windows are squared as opposed to rounded. I believe the Athearn model is a model of an earlier version and Atlas' is the more modern. Rapido is a Canadian prototype which is similar.

Walthers has one in their Trainline series but it seems rather toyish compared to the Atlas, Athearn, and Rapido products still it might be a good start for kitbashing or a project
 
That's a really interesting mix of tracks and ballast colors in the first few photos. I wonder how long it will be before concrete ties become the norm for mainline railraods?

Great industrial shots also. I've been working for years trying to get that overgrown, trash covered look on my industrial tracks but I still haven't succeeded in matching those picture. This about the best I've come up with and still be able to run a train down it.

638onGradeMedium.jpg
 
Nice work on the roadbed Jim. The only thing I would add to the ROW is some litter and maybe a few old ties laying on the side.
 






Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top