Welcome to Coffee Shop 17

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for the feedback gents. I sort of figured you lot would be the exceptions to the rule. :D Its nice to see there are some that like to push beyond their comfort zone. Jeffery, its not about not wanting the tourists but wanting the majority to break out of their bubbles and as you did, actually see and experience the places you visit. Otherwise they may as well stay home and google earth their holidays.

BoC, for better or worse the American chain is here to stay. There are 4 Starbucks on the 10 min walk from the station to my office. We've been overrun with McD, Burger King, KFC, Pizza Hut, Dominos, Papa Johns, Subway, etc, etc.

Chris, to answer your question, the world is full of morons that don't have the concept of forward planning. You can always tell when a flight from Florida or Spain arrives, the temp in the terminal rises from the nuclear glow given off by the lobster people. :D On the other hand, when I was in Canada we used to see cars with Florida plates & loaded ski racks in the summer. Its 80f but they are there in full winter mode. :)

As for beer, it should always be served at the temp it was brewed at. A real ale should be at 10c-12c cool. Aka cellar temp. Lagers a bit cooler around 7c to 10c. Anything colder and it kills the taste. Although in the case of Bud, there's nothing to kill. :D:D

On that note, I'll catch you all next week.
 
Ohhhhhhhhh Bob, Looks like you steped in it this time you brought the mod. down from the rafters to yell at ya;-)
 


Good Morning

Got some more rain for our viewing pleasure:(:(:eek: Rain--heavy at times-- is in our forecast for today so's ever't'in be all wet ag'in. Today's high is going to be 24C while the low will be at 18C. Yay:(:eek::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Yes sir, BOB, sir---no politics from this one!:eek::eek:;)

Well, I am heading out to finish the last batch of client interviews then I'll start going through all the dang reports and write the thing up:eek::eek:;)

Have a good day people----:):):):)
 
Good morning.

It's 75 and partly cloudy. The high will be around the mid 90's and there's a chance of thunderstorms.

I took the time to go through the many VHS tapes I have and threw out about 500-600 pounds of them along with a bunch of old CD-R's and DVD-R's I no longer need. This has freed up several shelves for my rapidly growing collection of DVD's, and with DVD movies now cheaper than ever (two for five dollars in some cases) it's going to grow rapidly indeed. Today I'll roust my mother from bed and prepare her breakfast as usual but she'll either have to have an early lunch or make other arrangements as I have an appointment with the foot doc today. I had a treat yesterday. TCM was showing a bunch of the old 'Saint' movies from the 30's and early 40's. These were made long before the Saint you younger guys saw wrap up all his foes in one evening on the big screen and has more to do with Roger Moore's 1960's portrayal of the adventurer and unlikely hero that was Simon Templar. No, these were made before the effects people robbed the audience of their imagination. I made sure to record them.

Today's Weather for:
Sundown, LA 71446-6114 7/23/2009

Heat Index: 79°F
Humidity: 95%
Dew Point: 73°F

So Far Today
High: 76°F
Low: 74°F
Rain: 0.00"
Rain Rate: 0.00"/h
Gust: 3mph W

Through 8 AM... Isolated showers and thunderstorms will be affecting parts of central Louisiana. These showers and storms are moving to the east at 15 mph. Occasional lightning and brief heavy downpours can be expected. Rainfall rates in the heaviest storms are up to a half inch per hour.

Today High: 95 Partly cloudy with a 20 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms. Highs in the mid 90s. North winds around 5 mph.

Tonight Low: 72 Partly cloudy. A 20 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms early in the evening. Lows in the lower 70s. East winds around 5 mph in the evening becoming light after midnight.

http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/mm18/forum-2/DSCN0796-1.jpg
 
Mornin' guys, hmmmm, no religion or politics, I did not think it was bad enough to get the boss in here, but oh well, rules are rules.

Not much going on in my world the last couple of days, trying to finish up my studying for the motorcycle instructor course. There was a lot more studying then I initially thought so i am behind a little. The next four three Saturdays in a row are classroom instruction to learn how to be an instructor, and then the fourth weekend is an actual class of students that I get to help teach. So I guess I will be busy for the next few weekends.



Tony, I hate days off where you have to do things like clean garages or, worse, clean out gutters. Even "real" work seems like more fun.
Jim; No way man, a day off is a day off! Yes, I enjoy relaxing on my days off, but anymore just a day off work no matter what I am doing is just relaxing!:D I will be eligible for retirement in September of 2010 and to be honest it will be extremely hard for me to stick around once September 2010 rolls around:D Don't get me wrong, I like my job, it's just after thirty years it get really old dealing with customers and not to mention the FAA sucking the fun out of every last thing we do to an aircraft.

Well, go to start another day towards 2010, talk to you guys later...:D
 
Good morning folks.

I'm managing to find a little time every night to work on the layout. It's mainly do to the fact that I'm working on a few kits right now. While I'm waiting for glue to dry on one, I paint another outside. Then I have to stop and wait until the next day. It's just enough to move the projects along a little each day without rushing anything. I use to have a tendency to not wait until the paint or glue is dry. Use to, what am I saying? I still tend to not wait long enough!:)

I have my long day at work today. I probably won't work on the layout tonight. It may be movie night instead.

I hope you all have a great day!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Down at the depot

Well, I'm on my second cup, think I'll go for three! ahhh!! too bad I have to get ready for work! But I do get to play with trains at work. Well great things are happening down at the KATY depot, besides being a cool old building, our hobby shop is starting to perk, not money wise, GEUS has cut our juice but we're on generators and still functioning. Palow is nearly gone maybe we'll see him once more & that's too much, but most of his stuff is gone & we'll be able to get down to some real business. We're clean building and fix'n to paint outside. Come on down if your ever in Greenville, Tx town, maybe we'll have a fresh pot of java on!
 
so a weather reporting topic? well, its nice and air conditioned in this cube of mine .

Thanks for the feedback gents. I sort of figured you lot would be the exceptions to the rule.
nah, i'd say statistical gauntlet holds here as well. but as someone said those who don't follow your stereotypical description, just blend in ). and while we discuss stereotypes. friend of my at the moment lives and works in blighty. he goes from place to place often and i really enjoy reading notes and rants as he travels from place to place. So, why is it that statistically average Brit "can't be bothered" with anything?

as for american brand named chains i'm at loss why would you use word "invade". you do realize its Brits opening up those franchise joints (by choice BTW) and not some kind of American super covert agents that infiltrated in.

this is not really politics, is it? just a frinedly non very PC correct discussion :rolleyes:
 


Good Evening

Sheeesh!!:eek::eek: I got about 3 boxes of documentation to go through towards getting our QC/Performance report out:D;):confused: This will be my first major report for my company and I'm going to make sure this works--there does seem to be a few 'holes' here and there:eek::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Ah well. As for touristas. You should see the "victims"---I mean, "frosh" as they make their first forays into town during orientation week at a university/college. Now THEY stick out---all T-shirted in Purple and White or some other residence colours and all giggly----and--if on a pubcrawl---kinda pickled/sloshed.:eek::D:D:D

Now, back to the basement with me---heeheehee---"What's He Building Down There?":eek::eek::D:D:D:p
 
For those who've held my son in their prayers, thank you! The docs came back today and said they feel that his scoliosis is quite acute and should not progress. He will need some physical therepy, but no braces and no surgery! We're all quite relieved!
 
For those who've held my son in their prayers, thank you! The docs came back today and said they feel that his scoliosis is quite acute and should not progress. He will need some physical therepy, but no braces and no surgery! We're all quite relieved!


Phillip;Wow! That great news!:D Thanks for keeping us in the loop!

Man, am I tried of studying:eek: I always hated book work:D. But I finished up just a little bit ago, I think I can review things tomorrow night and thenbe okay for the class on Saturday, hopefully...:eek:
 
Evening, everyone.

So, no politics or religion. That pretty much limits some of our discussions. I hope guns and ammo are still OK. :)

We lost our softball game today 12-7 but it wasn't a slaughter. We had the misfortune of playing at 6:30 on the one field that faced directly into the sun. The other team did a better job of putting the ball up in the air directly in the sun and we didn't so that's the main reason why we lost. I was the DH again but got to play one inning when our 30 year old "star" managed to pull his hamstring for the third time in five games. I have no idea why he keeps getting played while I sit on the bench. I guess 63 is over the hill. :( Played third base and the first hit was grounder right at me. Managed to scoop it up and get it over to first for the out. I have an old rotator cuff and tendon injury that causes me acute pain when I have to really smoke the ball in. Luckily, I finally got my doctor to prescribe some Vicoprofen for the pain. It was just enough to take the edge off the pain so I could get in a decent throw. I don't know why it's so hard to get a doctor to prescribe a relatively mild narcotic like Vicoprofen when he could hear all my tendons popping when listened with the stethoscope and I clearly am not a doper. The DEA is really making it tough on doctors to prescribe narcotics unless you have a body part falling off.

I'm installing my Woodland Scenics Municipal Building downtown. Had to tear up the church, that will move out int the country. It's amazing how much work it is to change around scenery you already have in place. The WS building is a really nice structure. All the joints are square and neat and the details are outstanding. I probably could have done nearly as good a job from a kit but it would have been a good fifteen hours of work on my boiling hot work bench in the garage. Much easier to take it out of the box and just do the site prep rather than building the whole thing myself. I'll take some pics when it's finished. Between going to the doctor's office (an hour late and then another 45 minutes to see me) and baseball, I didn't get anything done but think about the layout.

Phillip, glad to hear the news about your son. Both of my daughters had scoliosis and, between a back brace for about six months and physical therapy, you'd never know there was anything wrong with them now.

Tony, take that chance and retire as soon as possible. No matter how much you like your job, you'll like retirement a lot better. :D

TMRR, tell us more about your hobby shop. Maybe I've missed it before but it sounds like a neat place if it's in an old KATY depot. I do wish you luck in building up the business.

Phillip, it looks like Kermit was the first volunteer for swine flu vaccine testing. Seriously, they are looking for volunteers to test it out. Everyone who wants to be part of the test, raise your hand. :eek:

Jeffrey, you had 500-600 pounds of VHS tapes? Now that's some serious movie collecting. Did you have a big dumpster to throw all this into or what?

Andrew, in all the countries I've been to, I've yet to use a tour guide. I've found that a good guide book, a little knowledge of the native language, and a public transport map will get you far. I hate to say this but most Americans have such a poor understanding of other countries that a guided tour is about the only way they'll know what to see. I usually avoid any chain restaurants like the plague, whether American or chains like Wimpy's in England. McDonald's does do some interesting adaptations to local tastes though. The Yak burger in Nepal was interesting and you have to try the "Hot Pork Set" if you're in Thailand. In defense of Americans, though, I have to say some foreign tourists are just as ignorant of our country. I once had a couple ask me if they could see Disneyland and the Grand Canyon on the same day!

Partly cloudy and hot down here today with a high of 97. Thunderstorms down by the coast but nothing here. The weather guessers are saying we may have a transition to a wetter pattern next week but they've been saying that for three weeks and my lawn is starting to dry up again. :D
 
Evening, everyone.

So, no politics or religion. That pretty much limits some of our discussions. I hope guns and ammo are still OK. :)

We lost our softball game today 12-7 but it wasn't a slaughter. We had the misfortune of playing at 6:30 on the one field that faced directly into the sun. The other team did a better job of putting the ball up in the air directly in the sun and we didn't so that's the main reason why we lost. I was the DH again but got to play one inning when our 30 year old "star" managed to pull his hamstring for the third time in five games. I have no idea why he keeps getting played while I sit on the bench. I guess 63 is over the hill. :( Played third base and the first hit was grounder right at me. Managed to scoop it up and get it over to first for the out. I have an old rotator cuff and tendon injury that causes me acute pain when I have to really smoke the ball in. Luckily, I finally got my doctor to prescribe some Vicoprofen for the pain. It was just enough to take the edge off the pain so I could get in a decent throw. I don't know why it's so hard to get a doctor to prescribe a relatively mild narcotic like Vicoprofen when he could hear all my tendons popping when listened with the stethoscope and I clearly am not a doper. The DEA is really making it tough on doctors to prescribe narcotics unless you have a body part falling off.

:D

Jim, My wife's Dr. get her some heave duty narc's when need.......So what ya need:D:rolleyes:


Man, Polly Ticks are a great Coffee shop topic;)! Just last week I dicussing with flo how u can control Polly Ticks with a good bug bomb:)! The Polly Ticks are booger to deal with........:rolleyes::(




Any way Gang, I heard that there has been 3 fist fights in the parks among Employees due to the Layoff stress factor:( in the past 3 days. These fights are in area 2 and 3 where the Park Maintaince Supervisors are a$$'s and go out of there way to stress people out!:mad: I'm lucky Our PMS is a great guy and knows enough to leave well enough alone! My area we pretty much just laugh and joke about the layoff's and have the, "there ain't much we can do about it" just live life as usual until the cuts!:)
 
ItsFriday.gif
 
Hot in Texas

Good Morning! just sitting down to 2nd cup of Joe. The Java's pretty good here, well after fighting GEUS & Building inspector's yesterday we'll have some juice later this morning, just in time for hot afternoon. The depot project is moving right along, the old building (112 yrs) has been neglected for years, but now may have new folks (Me & Robert) who will take care of her. anyway it's off to work I go, to crank up my RR at the depot, at least the trains are still running there, T.G.I.F. & have a great weekend!!!!

Cheers!
 


Status
Not open for further replies.




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top