Welcome to Coffee Shop 17

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey!
Has anyone seen Flo today? Is she painting the old location, getting ready for another "new look?

Chris- I'm going to pray for your family and that the county will continue to keep you out of the unemployment line. I have been told losing your job to "down sizing" is more stressful than losing a loved one. You have enough stress in your life without any more.

I have listened for a couple years to your complaints about the "idjuts" in charge, and I would like to continue hearing about your exploits at work and the people you have to deal with!:D
Let us know how things work out.
 
Out of a 156 people in parks 40 are going to be given the pink slip as soon as the Tie's and suit's makes up there minds who they want gone!:mad: It's sad how stressed out everyone is:(

As for my state the job market Sux to the max! we're seeing whole families living in tents every where: http://www.myfoxtampabay.com/dpp/news/local/hillsborough/tent_city_proposal_072109 these tent citys are popping up all over......Is this the change the people voted for:confused::mad: Screw the health care....Health care can't help ya if your starving to death:mad::(:rolleyes:
Let me get off jims soap box before I get going:);)
 
Good evening

Got back from listening to 6 very interesting clients who regaled me with stories of the old Toronto, Hamilton & Buffalo RR, The Frisco line, and Boston & Maine RR. All RR's that these fellows worked in their lives-----one even told me about the 'hobos' that went by his folks farm in Iowa during the depression. I see Chris already talked about the tent cities---one of the clients did too----:eek::eek::confused::(

I'm going to avoid any soapbox at this moment:eek::eek:

Catch y'all inna bit---gotta do some trainroom stuff:):)
 


Been busy today. Had to show my mother how to use an insulin syringe this morning. Then she wanted to go to Wal-Mart for a few things (few bags full of things), then to Dollar Tree for a few things (few bags full of things), then to Dollar General for a few things (few bags full of things). Then we came back home and guess who had to carry a dozen bags into the house in the rain? Yeah, me! I went into my father's office to make a phone call and lo and behold the phone didn't work. A quick check showed that none of the phones (12) in the house worked. That's about par for the course. The AT&T repairman was at the house yesterday to fix the line in the office as it wasn't working. The 10 other phones in the house were working. Now none of them are working. My father's really ticked off (boiling mad would be a better description). While I was at Wal-Mart today I picked two wide screen Indiana Jones movies. The Raiders of the Lost Ark and the Temple of Doom.
 
Sad thing is the news stations don't show all of them! I heard that families up in the colder climites that loose everything are comming to florida cause it's easier to live down here in a tent in the winter! Try to get a spot in a camp ground down here is getting harder!
 
Afternoon, everyone.

Chris, I will join the others in hoping your name is not on the pink slip list. I imagine there's not much of a golden parachute for the little people like you. :(

Tom, you can tell where my workbench is by the trail of blood. I cut myself constantly with xacto knives. The wounds are always deeper than they appear. I have no idea why I am such a klutz with modeling knives. I can suture wounds and never even poke myself but put an xacto knife in my hand and I'll be bleeding within minutes. Seems like the Governator and the California legislature found some way to make $23.5 billion in debt disappear so maybe your guy can do the same.

CB and Terry, I remember those hot days when I lived in the San Gabriel Valley. It's really bad right now because of the monsoonal moisture which is making the humidity go up and sparking enough thunderstorms to start fires but not rain enough to put them out. The humidity is generally high here but you get used to it. It was always a shock to the system when we had those humid days and hot temperatures in southern California.

Larry, congrats on getting in the sidewalk. I'd have to be on an IV morphine drip if I did all the work you did in the last week. :D Sounds like that other house must have some real problems. I hope the new owner got a deal.

Karl, I can see small areas of the walls that the wife keeps eyeing covetously. The good thing is I may never have to paint again. The bad thing is will take a week to fill all the holes if we ever sell the house. With the price of firewood, you hit a real goldmine, even if it is going take some pain killers to get it all burnable. Hard to fine a nicer wood than maple for the stove or fireplace when it's nice and dry.

BOC, it's time you started sending that rain down out way again. It was nice of you to send the cooler air we've had in the last two days - now send some rain. :mad:

Jeffrey, I never hear of air freshner as an engine starter but I guess it must be the alcohol in it that works. I've used WD-40 like Bob said back in the days and it could make an impressive flame shoot out the carburetor. :eek: Sounds like fishing is pretty good. Sure would like to have a few of those bass.

If you lived in San Francisco, you saw plenty of "Dragon Butts" during the Chinese New Year's parade. There were other types of "draggin' butts" there as well but I won't get into that on a family forum. :eek:

I forgot to tell you I got a Walthers working traffic signal installed today. Way easier than trying to make those Model Power lights work. The traffic lights are very close to scale. The LED's are appropriately bright and the control cycles the lights through very realistically. The only hard part is getting the right color wires in the controller so they control the right route. Since your working under the layout, it would have been nice if they had labeled them for something like north and east so you'd know which red went with what amber and green instead of having to pop out from under the layout each time and seeing if you had the right wires for the route in the right side of the controller. Of course, you never do, so I spent a lot of time swapping wires. If I had someone to help, it would have been really easy. Walthers has some of these on sale now so, if you're looking for some animation on the cheap, I'd recommend them.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Last edited by a moderator:
So far, I've not had anybody to ride with. I've got a few friends that have bikes, but e haven't been able to get together and ride yet.

Today, my lonely riding days came to an end! I have a new cruising buddy!

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j319/pcarrell/Drifter/850A0023.jpg

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j319/pcarrell/Drifter/850A0024.jpg

As Forrest Gump would say, "We go together like peas and carrots", don't cha think?

Didn't someone try to park one of those in someone's house recently?:eek:
 
Afternoon, everyone.

Chris, I will join the others in hoping your name is not on the pink slip list. I imagine there's not much of a golden parachute for the little people like you. :(

We have a parachute it's called, "Concrete Floor!":rolleyes:
 


So far, I've not had anybody to ride with. I've got a few friends that have bikes, but we haven't been able to get together and ride yet.

Today, my lonely riding days came to an end! I have a new cruising buddy!

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j319/pcarrell/Drifter/850A0023.jpg

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j319/pcarrell/Drifter/850A0024.jpg

As Forrest Gump would say, "We go together like peas and carrots", don't cha think?

the weene truck end up plowing into a house a few days back!:eek:
 
So far, I've not had anybody to ride with. I've got a few friends that have bikes, but we haven't been able to get together and ride yet.

Today, my lonely riding days came to an end! I have a new cruising buddy!

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j319/pcarrell/Drifter/850A0023.jpg

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j319/pcarrell/Drifter/850A0024.jpg

As Forrest Gump would say, "We go together like peas and carrots", don't cha think?

Phillip; I thought I was going to see pictures of you and your wife on the bike!:D Nice looking bike though...

And yes the wiener mobile did crash into a house a few days ago:eek:
 
I haven't seen a weenie mobile in years. Indeed, a weenie mobile crashed into a house in Racine Friday. Seems the female driver got confused doing a U-turn and hit the gas instead of the brakes. Looks like one of the brand new weenie mobiles from the pictures too. Oscar Meyer just hires high school kids to drive these things around during the summer. Surprisingly, there is no special license required to drive a weenie mobile in 49 states. Guess which one requires a commercial driver's license? It begins with a "C". :D
 
Here's a litle tidbit that will knock you off your soapbox. I was watching the Communist News Network (CNN) today and they had this comparison on the bank bailout and what it really means. The 72 trillion dollars allotted will be enough money, in todays dollars, to send every child born in this country since January 1st. 1965 to Harvard for 4 years.
Would that not have been a better use for that money???:confused:
 
The stage has been set, the existing layout that was retrofitted three times has seen its final days.

2054757211_a7c99d3043.jpg


2549877560_ba61967c67.jpg


2770379642_4ffd9e0415_o.jpg


It has been sad to see this LEGO beauty go, but I am stepping on to bigger and better turf, with multi tone ballast, new modern buildings, and more. The new designs will be modern and mostly prototype. The first phase, Hollywood Phase 1 is almost complete and has a few buildings in my Thread in the Showin' off Subforum, My Scale: Prototype LEGO Trains.

The flagship buildings will remain intact until at least January 2010.

Meanwhile, I am going to experiment bigger builds with a different locomotive model. Stay tuned.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Karl, I'm not sure where CNN got $72 trillion but, even with our free spending ways, that is a bit high. The total for financial "assistance" is about $23.3 trillion as of Friday. I guess they could have gotten to $72 trillion if they counted every dime that was earmarked for any federal assistance program but a lot of that money was baked into the budget (and the deficit) since last July. Still, it is an amazing amount of money no matter how much the actual total is. The ENTIRE world's gross domestic product in 2008 was $62 trillion. We have commited spending at least half of the worlds' GDP in one year. Even if the the $23 trillion is correct, compare that to our GDP of $14 trillion in 2008. This means every worker will have to produce about 1/3 more simply to pay off the commited funds with nothing left over for unimportant things like defense. Luckily, that average Westerner is more interested in smary TV shows or gossip on Facebook than understanding the implication of these numbers.

I now yield Terry's atmospheric soap box. :)
 
Some one do me a favor,divide it up if they took 23.3 trillion dollars and gave an even share back to theTax paying, home owning citizen how much money would each person get? Well got to get ready to go to work!
 


Some one do me a favor,divide it up if they took 23.3 trillion dollars and gave an even share back to theTax paying, home owning citizen how much money would each person get? Well got to get ready to go to work!

$76,666/citizen if you divided $23 trillion by 300 million. The figure is low since not everyone owns a home or pays taxes. In each case, the figure would be higher.

I used 300 million citizens as a basis.

Bob
 
Status
Not open for further replies.




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top