Welcome to Coffee Shop 17

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m baaaaaaaack..!

Haven’t been here for a long time I know, but I’ve been under enormous pressure at work and too busy at home to focus on model trains or participate in any forums. We just got back last night from our annual Family Retreat in Ohio. I see you guys made yourselves ‘at home’ while we were away – I was up till 3am cleaning up the mess. On the bright side, at least there was no structural damage, the note on the garage door was blown off by the wind, and I was able get the smell out by leaving the windows open all night. Karl – I know you’re working on a model of Lehigh Cement, but I’d like you to return my cement siloes; the empty, un-rinsed beer cans you stuck in their place simply don’t cut it! Just bring them with you to the Club meeting today [BTW – congrats on being re-admitted into the work force!]

Tony – I echo what the other guys have told you, definitely figure out the imaginary purpose of your model RR and then build the benchwork to fit the trackplan, that’ll save a lot of unnecessary work - don't ask me how I know!:o

Phillip – I’ll add my own prayers for your son’s condition. That scoliosis is nasty stuff indeed!:(

Jim - congrats on your 3rd anniversary! Glad you finally got some of BOC's rain.

Bob and Larry - I saw how miserable my late father was with his back pain, so I've been trying to take steps to avoid being in that situation when I get older. Things like squatting and using my leg muscles to lift heavy objects, rather than bending over.

Wish I had time to talk to each of you, but I've got tons of stuff on my ToDo list so I gotta run. C-U-L.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Phil, a little story I want to share with you.

In the days of my hell-bent for destruction days, the years of my 20's, I was quite an athletic guy. I played sports year 'round. At barely 6' tall I could dunk a basketball, ran the 100 in about 9.8 seconds and the 40 yard dash in the low 4.4 second range.... But, my game was softball. I was actually quite good. Played for a two national champions, in fact.

We had a family move into our neighborhood that had a young son. He was very disabled, wheel chair bound, under constant medical supervision, confined to a wheelchair, unable to speak..... He was just three years older than my daughter.

One day while they were "playing" and "walking" around in the park, he recognized me playing on the field in a tournament. He became very excited. His parents wheeled him next to our dugout and when the inning was over and I came in from the field, I sat at the end of the bench, held his hands and talked with him. Actually, I did most of the talking as he couldn't speak.

A few weeks later we traveled out of state to a tournament sponsored by the Annheuser-Busch people and the Muscular-Dystrophy folks. There were many companies that gave of themselves and products to put this tournament on. Anyway, I had an awesome tournament. I was like a vacuum cleaner at second base, making some stops that amazed even me. In the end, I won the "The Mizuno, The Ball Stops Here" award, the Defensive MVP. Besides some shoes, a new glove, batting gloves, personal duffle bag and such, I won a 5' tall trophy. I decided on the way home that my trophy case was already running over. I would give the trophy to Josh, the young neighbor boy.

When I got home, it was VERY late, like 4am Monday morning. That afternoon, after rousting myself from bed, I grab the trophy and walk it down the 3-4 houses and across the street to Josh's house. I wish everyone could have seen the look in the eyes of that child. Yes, I cried, yet, I smiled and laughed too. He hugged and hugged that trophy, even kissed it. To me, it was just another trophy, more iron for the shelves. To him, it was more priceless than the most precious metal.

Seeing him with that hunk of metal and wood, gave me the perspective to understand that for each great person, each athlete, there is someone far less blessed than we are. But, yet, I understood, then, that this child was the true blessing.

God's Blessings, Phil.

Bob
 
Sorry guys for the note. Sometimes you have to be bold though :D

Been running a sound board for the community theatre's attempt at The Music Man. It is our director's last show. She has been at the school for 4 years, and got a (grad?) school offer she could not refuse. I don't think I have ever had this much fun during a show, that is for sure.
 


Terry, it would need to be an ice fishing pole. His birthday was, or is, January 11th. Mine is January 18th. Now, in my neck of the wood, it's tends to be a tad nippy that time of the year. So, neither of our birthdays would be a good time to don the waders and stand chest deep in a stream. lol

bob


Bob,

Good thing you weren't Die Hard Fisherman Or you would be in there with your waders!:D:D:D:D:D
 
Mornin' All!

Man, I'm hurtin' this mornin'! I've redone all the bracketry on my bike for the tour pack over the last two evenings. The old setup worked, but it wasn't optimal. This new setup is better I think, though it still needs "road tested". Before we do that though, I need to lay down the license plate onto the rear fender. Right now it sticks up straight, and that will interfere with the bottom of the tour pack on bumps. If I lay it down, no problem. Besides, it'll look slick layed back on the fender like that. Anyways, all that metal working without a proper workbench or vice has gotten to me. I've been using a couple of 2x4's,4x4's, and C clamps to help me out with my cutting, grinding, and drilling. That means I'm knealing and hunched over most of the time. My back is complaining this morning!

Speaking of backs.......Day before yesterday we took my son to the doctors office because he said his back was sore all the time. The docs took a look at him and think he has scoliosis, and thats in addition to his muscular dystrophy. That poor kid can't catch a break! I told him that God must really have something special planned for him to be putting him through all of this. We should know in a few days whether we're looking at braces or surgery, but for now he's doing physical therepy.

Prayers for those in need, indeed!

Sorry to here about the Back troubles for you and your son!:( Your son will be in our prayers and thoughts! Man with the your back pains, a trip to Florida to soak in one of may cold water (72*) springs in the morning followed up that evening with a soak in the warm (90*) gulf coast salt water will take all that pain away!:) Trust me.......It works wonders, done it for years!;)
 
Good evening

Went to do some photography north of us near Palmerston ON. Just got back and now am going through the collection of pix we garnered---lotsa fun---
 
Good morning.

It's 68 (coolest it's been in a while) and partly cloudy. The high will be in the upper 80's and it will be partly cloudy.

There was a really heavy rain in Leesville yesterday but not a drop out here. We did however benefit from it as the temperature dropped significantly with the outdoor temp being under 80. This is almost unheard of for July. My sister and her family returned home last night from their trip to north-west Texas. For me this means I don't have to go over to feed their pets anymore. What a relief. My mother's health continues to improve. A couple of weeks ago it took her 5 to 6 seconds to cover the measured yard (36"). Now she can cover that distance in less than half the time. Also she's gone shopping for clothes twice in 3 days. This is a good sign. Now if she could get to the point of being able to prepare her own meals I could get back to my normal life, such as it is.

Today's Weather for:
Sundown, LA 71446-6114 7/19/2009

Wind Chill: 68°F
Humidity: 96%
Dew Point: 67°F

So Far Today
High: 70°F
Low: 68°F
Rain: 0.01"
Rain Rate: 0.00"/h
Gust: 0mph NNE

Today High: 92 Mostly cloudy with a 40 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms. Highs in the lower 90s. Southeast winds 5 to 10 mph.

Tonight Low: 68 Partly cloudy with a 20 percent chance of isolated showers and thunderstorms. Lows in the upper 60s. East winds around 5 mph.

http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/mm18/forum-2/DSCN0775-1.jpg
 
Good Morning

Got more rain our forecast--AGAIN--temperatures not going anywhere but low 20's for highs and lows stuck in the mid teens.

Got to do some running around today with wife---I'm looking for a printer stand as the other one done went and broke on us after 'Spring' landed on it---7lb cat--printer stand couldn't take the weight--go figure---and NO printer was on it at the time either--:eek::eek::rolleyes::confused::confused:

Have a good one--:)
 


Bob, because of our son, we've met many people like you've described. Heck, we may have even met you, who knows? I can tell you one thing for sure, the people we've met through this whole thing are some of the best folks on God's green earth, and you sound like you belong on that club!

Chris, I lived in Florida for about a year back in the 80's. I lived around New Port Richey. Pretty humid down there, but the 20 minute rain shower at 2-3 o'clock helped every day. As for these days, I'd probably be tempted to head to the southwest if I moved again. Arizona or New Mexico sounds good!
 
Afternoon everyone,

Sunny and a million and two degrees outside. It will definitely be hot out with our usual chance of T-Storms.

Yesterday morning, I did start on a Firestone location at the NW Corner of Hollywood Blvd and Dixie. The building (LEGO) is coming along nicely, and the exterior is pretty much done right now, all I need to do is put grey tile elements on the area set for the parking lot. Soon other road pieces will be reassembled to conform with the parking lot and the gist and feel of the area.
 
Phil, thank you for considering me on your list of good people. But, I think the better half would argue with you. She says I'm an A-hole with a big heart. Kind of a combination of opposites, I'd think. lol

It does humble me when I think, not only those afflicted, but the families that care for, love and nurture these kids, and adults, too. Those families are heroes in my book.

All, the wedding went well. I had tears. And the food at the reception was EXCELLENT. Ate too much of the wrong things and the blood sugar zoomed. But, I am allowed a "free day" a week. I think I used up about 6 month's worth. Not really. I stayed pretty much near the vegetable trays, but did check out the Cherries Jubilee. And how I hate the post ceremony picture ops!!!

Anyway, being away from the boat has me climbing the walls today. I brought some trains to work on. Stripping about 15 passenger cars of their paint. That should keep me busy for most of the time. I will be repainting them for the layout in Monon and Wabash livery. Hard to find those roads, even on eBay, at a decent price and decent quality. It's been a project that I have been putting off for some 2 years now. Did I here someone in the back say the word procrastinator. Not so much that as being a bad scheduler of time. It will probably be another 5 years to get them painted. lol No, only kidding. I brought all I need to get the job done while I'm landlocked.

I did drag one boat down with us, a little 14-foot "knocker". I hope to go fishing at the reservoir some time this week. I'm hoping we can make it back up north by Friday.

Bob
 
All, the wedding went well. I had tears. And the food at the reception was EXCELLENT. Ate too much of the wrong things and the blood sugar zoomed. But, I am allowed a "free day" a week. I think I used up about 6 month's worth. Not really.
I did the same thing at my niece's wedding last week. I loved the BBQ beef and hot links they had.
 
pcarrell;135095[B said:
Chris[/B], I lived in Florida for about a year back in the 80's. I lived around New Port Richey. Pretty humid down there, but the 20 minute rain shower at 2-3 o'clock helped every day. As for these days, I'd probably be tempted to head to the southwest if I moved again. Arizona or New Mexico sounds good!

Then you may know or remember Weeki Wackee and Pine Island! Yes, we have crazy weather at times!

Port Richeys Green Key beach is getting like the Keys!



Hudson beach water is messed up! Pasco county beaches stink!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Evening gang!
It was a beeeeeeeeeeutiful day here! 80, sunny, and low humidity! Got the grass cut, the garage hosed out, all 3 vehicles washed and the garage re-arranged so that the tractors and the truck and MY Car all fit comfortably!
Its amazing how much room you get when you get rid of all the junk!

BOC Let's see, a 7 pound cat moving at any real velocity is going to multiply the force he has on any object. I've witnessed this myself, as I have seen Midnight (13.5 lbs) on a full run take my 100 lb son to the floor!!!:eek: It's really funny when he fails to negotiate a turn on the hardwood floors and slams into the bi-fold doors at the base of the main staircase! Sounds like a car crash! :D

Well, off to bed now,,,,,got to work tomorrow !! :D:D:D
 
Karl, good luck on your first day. Don't forget to stop and buy donuts for everyone. Best to start off on the right foot, ya know. And by the way, Midnight is a bit of a lug, but we have a cat, Buster, that tips the scales at 16 pounds!! looks more like a raccoon than a cat. His pal, Phantom, is just 4oz "skinnier". Dems some BIG cats!!!! Got 'em cut and they got FAT!!!

Jeffrey, my weakness was the BBQ'd meat balls and sausages. And the deviled eggs, and the veggie dip, and the water chestnuts and chicken livers wrapped in bacon, ...... But the blood sugar didn't get above 170 so I guess I was a good boy. Still, a nap would have been nice. lol

Still strippin' paint from the passenger cars. Just 4 more to go. Then I will paint with a primer and mask off the cars. Unfortunately, I have to use to different colors of primer. The Wabash cars will get a light gray prime coat and the Monon's will get an oxide primer. Oh, well.

I also brought to engine shells, E7's to strip. They have yet to be dunked in the alcohol. I haven't figured out what to do with them yet. The schemes, Amtrack and Northern Pacific, just don't match anything I have. Although , I believe I will paint one to match the Monon Passenger cars. I am freelancing the scheme with a charcoal, red stripe, and gold lettering.

Well, gotta go.

Bob
 
Good Morning--

So, I'm up and getting ready for another week of doing the road thing. Got a bunch of clients to interview this week then its finish off the report. I found out from boss that one staff now has letter attached to his file:mad:

Getting some hoppers weathered for a Limestone mill. It is rather simple---just plain ol' Whitewash. But before I do dis I've got to patch the dang things--gotta give 'em some colour!!:):)

I'm off to hit the road-----have a good one:D:D:D
 


Good morning folks

It was a cool 68 F as I headed in this morning. High today will be 83 F with the possibility of showers. It was nice this morning but by the time I got to work you can feel the humidity creeping up.

We went and saw the latest Harry Potter movie on Saturday. Afterwards we hit Home Depot and picked-up the next couple of projects; a bathroom faucet and a kitchen one. The bathroom looks like it will be a pop out/pop in install. The kitchen, however, is going to be more difficult. The plumber who we had install the current faucet removed all the threaded connections and replaced them with soldered joints. I now need how to get them back to the way they were.

Sunday I had to return something to Wal-mart and do a bunch of other running around. When I got home it was time to mow the backyard and the front yard. There a couple of little minor jobs like repairing the lampshade on one of the lights in the gazebo.

I did work some more on renumbering the boxcar. I will also be renumbering a Kyle covered hopper for my son.

I hope everybody has a good day.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top