Welcome to Coffee Shop 17

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


Status
Not open for further replies.
Good Morning

Got some To do list thingees that need done. ohno ohno. :eek::eek: Because I have day off---things on that list grow and I get to do them---:eek::eek::rolleyes:---the sentenence structure is off today as well I see--:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

We got rained on again this morning so our 50% chance of showers is now 100% showers for today---this will be 40% tomorrow---while trying to do some shunpiker tour photography;);) Temperatures won't get out of the low 20's nor the lows any higher than 13C----and we're in July---:rolleyes:;)

Have a good one--:):)
 
Good morning folks

It was sticky, muggy 75 F on the way in this morning. High today will be 89 F with a chance of thunderstorms. We had a couple of storms roll through last evening. We did not get much lightening or wind, just a lot of rain.

My son and I went and got our haircut last night. When we got home my daughter popped some popcorn and her, my wife, my son, and I watched Burn Notice together.

Later I checked on the decal I put on the Accurail boxcar to change the road number. There were a couple of bubbles and it did “melt” to the contours of the side so I popped the bubbles and hit it with some more Solvaset.

I am not sure what is going on this weekend. We may try to see the new Harry Potter movie on Saturday since that is my wife’s day off.

I am going to try to finish changing the road number on the boxcar.

I hope everybody has a good day.
 
Good morning.

It's 73 and partly cloudy. The high will be around the mid 90's and there's a chance of thunderstorms.

I was too busy yesterday to get anything done on the layout and it looks like today will be a repeat. Maybe someday I'll get a break. First thing today will be to go over and feed my sister's menagerie. Only a couple more days of that. Then I'll go to the parent's house and roust my mother out of bed and get her breakfast ready for her, etc. If nothing else comes up I might be able to get some layout work done.

Today's Weather for:
Sundown, LA 71446-6114 7/17/2009

Heat Index: 78°F
Humidity: 95%
Dew Point: 72°F

So Far Today
High: 79°F
Low: 73°F
Rain: 0.23"
Rain Rate: 0.00"/h
Gust: 20mph N

Today High: 90 Cloudy with a 50 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms. Highs around 90. West winds around 5 mph.

Tonight Low: 75 Decreasing clouds. A 40 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms. Lows in the mid 70s. Southwest winds 5 to 10 mph.

http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/mm18/forum-2/P4230172.jpg
 


Mornin' All!

Man, I'm hurtin' this mornin'! I've redone all the bracketry on my bike for the tour pack over the last two evenings. The old setup worked, but it wasn't optimal. This new setup is better I think, though it still needs "road tested". Before we do that though, I need to lay down the license plate onto the rear fender. Right now it sticks up straight, and that will interfere with the bottom of the tour pack on bumps. If I lay it down, no problem. Besides, it'll look slick layed back on the fender like that. Anyways, all that metal working without a proper workbench or vice has gotten to me. I've been using a couple of 2x4's,4x4's, and C clamps to help me out with my cutting, grinding, and drilling. That means I'm knealing and hunched over most of the time. My back is complaining this morning!

Speaking of backs.......Day before yesterday we took my son to the doctors office because he said his back was sore all the time. The docs took a look at him and think he has scoliosis, and thats in addition to his muscular dystrophy. That poor kid can't catch a break! I told him that God must really have something special planned for him to be putting him through all of this. We should know in a few days whether we're looking at braces or surgery, but for now he's doing physical therepy.

Prayers for those in need, indeed!
 
The concrete supervisor did a good job this morning. He directed my brother Mike and I to a tee and we were finished with the broom finish at 10AM. Started at 7:30 so 2 1/2 hours and my brother headed home and I am taking the rest of the day off. I now remember WHY I do o not do concrete work any more than I do. I am stiff and sore, my left shoulder feels like it is ready to fall off. Thank goodness for extra strength Pain relievers without them I would really be miserable.
 
Hey guys how's it going? Caught a short break here at work and thought I would drop in for a quick cup of good coffee.:D

Karl;Congrats on the job! As a good friend of mine says, "you are no longer a bum!" Hope all goes well with the new job!

Phillip;Keep us post on the kid! Hope things turn out as best as possible. Will keep the guy in our prayers!

Well, I am looking forward to having some time to do some layout planning this weekend. I do have to make time for some more studing for my motorcycle safety instructor course. I think I have the course on the 25th, this if I pass I start teaching the weekend after that. So hopefully I can do both this weekend, study and layout planning.

Okay, got to run and finish out the rest of the day here at work, talk to you guys later...:D
 
Phil our prayers are sent. I think it bad when children have to endure such major maladies so early in life. Makes me wish I could take them on instead of them having to. They are meant to be running and playing on the playground. Making our nerves a frazzle with the noise, boundless energy, and their seemingly indestructible, carefree attitudes. Blessings are on the way, I'm sure.

I can relate to the back pain, both you and Larry. Surgeries, injuries, arthritis, old age, and playing "superman" in my younger days have left me relying on ibuprofin on most days, with heavier painkillers on those days that are not so good. But, I played softball until late in my 40's so I guess I really can't complain.

I've got a wedding rehearsal this evening. My Goddaughter is getting married Saturday. Her Dad, a very close friend, died a year ago, quite suddenly with cancer. She asked me to give her away. What else could I say, but yes? Isn't that what godfathers are for? I couldn't help but to get tears in my eyes when she asked. Just remembering the friendship I had with her Dad, made my eyes well up.

Probably be staying in the Hoosier state for a few extra days. Let the grandkids reacquaint themselves with their parents. Been with us almost all summer. Then back to the waters of Michigan. I'm still looking for my land legs. I've still got the sensation of the wave action from the boat.

Jay's girlfriend's parents asked if we would mind taking their autistic son back when we go. Seems all he's talked about for the past week was their vacation with us. He is only mildly medicated for the problem and is quite a 10-year old. Sure, why not? How can I turn down a kid that calls me Grandpa Bob? Now that would be beyond my most cynical, grumpy attitude. Besides, it gives me another fishin' buddy!!!!

Karl, did you send that discount coupon for the new tractor yet? I checked the mail this morning and it wasn't there. You better hurry. Snow flies early in the Northland. I could probably use a blade or snow blower attachment too. And a mower. And some gardening attachments. Disc, plow, harrow, cultivator......Add a wagon to the list if you will.

Rain slipped through the area last night, but we were in the "slot" and didn't get a drop. Looking at some of the farms around, they could use a nice "pickle shower".

Committed an error, I NEVER make mistakes, the other day. Bought a Bachmann Plus Pennsy F7B on eBay. I thought it was a head end unit. Gotta find me an "A" unit to go with it. Oh, well. Another reason to buy another train I guess.

Bob
 
Boy, I've been busy today. Fed my sister's menagerie this morning then rousted my mother out of bed and made her breakfast. There were several other things she had to have done then I went to pick up their dogs from the groomer then went to the rehab center to pick up a couple of bottles of medicine that had been left there then went and got her lunch from Burger King. Took the lunch, medicine and dogs home then had to set things up with AT&T so they can come and fix a flaky phone line in the old side of the house. After that my father came home and I was free! I have nothing else to do until tonight when I have to go feed my sister's menagerie again. Hopefully she'll be home sometime tomorrow, Sunday at the latest.
 
Aaaahhhhh!!!! Feels good to be off work for the weekend and just hanging out and relaxing here at home:)

Bob; Hope the wedding goes well. If you are that close to her then I am sure you will be welling up just before you walk in with her. It was pretty tough on me a few weeks ago at my daughters wedding. Cool as cucumber until I realized we had to start walking in.:eek:

Phillip; I don't know how old you are, but bending over to work on the bike or the car really starts making my back ache and I am only 50. I suppose it will only get worse from here on out.

Jeff; Ever think of becoming a zoo keeper?:D Sounds like one heck of a lot of animals to feed.

Well, I am going to poke around here on the board for a few and then see if I can get started on some layout planning. Talk to you guys later...:D
 
Good Evening

We got monsooneded on about 4 times today---now we're drying out and my lake done groweded ag'in-----:rolleyes::eek::eek:

got all the dang stuff done off the HD list. tomorrow friend of mine and I go out of town to do a back road tour of region north of here in search of old feedmill sites and such. I know of a few 'vanished villages near Palmerston that have had some good sized mills---hopefully we find some good ones:D:):)

Catch everyone in a bit-----:):)
 


Tony, just got back from the rehearsal and dinner. I had tears during the rehearsal. Her Dad and I were like two peas in a pod. Very close. I don't know if the tears were mine or his. But, I know he raised one fine daughter. I do wish it were him walking her down the aisle rather than me. I sure miss him. And I'm honored to be asked to be his proxy. I have put a fly rod he built for me into retirement. But, I have decided to get it out when I get back up north and fish some of the great trout streams in Michigan, the Pere Marquette, Au Sable, among others.

The back thing is the one thing about growing old that I wish I could shake. I can deal with the diabetes. But, making the pain pills a part of my daily routine bothers me. As does not being able to climb steps without pain. Actually descending a set of steps is MUCH worse.

Bob
 
Hiya Gang!
Finally after a soggy June and the first 2 weeks of July being dry, we got a little rain today. Temp dropped from 90 to 70, but the humidity is waaaaay up there. I can barely see my neighbors house for the humidity!:eek:
Went to fill out all the new hire papers today and do the old pee in a cup routine. 1 last weekend of freedom! :cool:

Phil We'll keep the young lad in our prayers. He should be out chasin butterflies:), or burning ants with a magnifying glass:eek:!

boB Hope the wedding goes as planned and nobody passes out (including you!) I got you a Sr. Discount, but ya gotta act the part. Remember, if they ask, you were born in 1903! :eek:

Larry Extra strength Advil on the way !! OOOOO yeah, 5 of em ought do it. ;)

Chris, Jim, Rex, Dan, and the rest of you hooligans! Ken will be back in town tonight. I'm hoping at least one of you got the pompoms outta the pool and the brasierres out of the trees before we left. See, I told you the Maryland Cheerleaders were fine!!:D Oh, and WHO posted the note on the garage door that read:
Cheerleaders - for a personal tour and a chance to touch a Nike Missle, sign up here!

Shameful! :eek:
 
I think the ---um---note was Dan's doin'. I had to chase him off the neighbours tractor again. then he went into the garage:eek::eek::confused:

I was only the booze supplier this time-----(aherm *coff coff*)----dang throat---:eek::rolleyes::rolleyes:
 
I have put a fly rod he built for me into retirement. But, I have decided to get it out when I get back up north and fish some of the great trout streams in Michigan, the Pere Marquette, Au Sable, among others.
Bob
Bob, maybe you could take the pole out of retirement once a year on your friend's birthday, and go fishing with him.
 
Bob I have had back problems since my early 20's and I know what you mean about the stairs. Down sure is the hardest part, I think it is the jar you get as you descend steps. My back has been pretty decent the last few years for the most part but this sidewalk got to me yesterday as we were pouring the concrete. But someone had to screed it off, do the edging and the crack stress marks. My brother Mike who helped me is three years younger and at least 50# heavier looked like someone had dumped a bucket of water on him. 2 1/2 hours straight without a break was hard on us old guys and the nap I took yesterday afternoon sure felt good. Went to bed at 9PM but here I am awake at 4AM still tired but cannot sleep. Oh well Sat will be a day of rest for me I guess but then again I may get my second or even third wind and work out in the wood shop on the cabinets I have to build for both daughters.
 
Good morning.

It's 72 and foggy. The high will be around the mid 90's and there's a chance of thunderstorms.

No layout work yesterday to speak of. At least we've gotten a little relief on the weather front. A line of thunderstorms came through the other night and dumped 2" of rain on us. No rain to speak of yesterday but there's a chance for rain today. Maybe we'll get a break from the heat.

Today's Weather for:
Sundown, LA 71446-6114 7/18/2009

Heat Index: 77°F
Humidity: 98%
Dew Point: 71°F

So Far Today
High: 76°F
Low: 72°F
Rain: 0.00"
Rain Rate: 0.00"/h
Gust: 0mph NNE

Today High: 92 Mostly cloudy with a 20 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms. Highs in the lower 90s. Northeast winds around 5 mph.

Tonight Low: 70 Partly cloudy with a 20 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms. Lows around 70. East winds around 5 mph.

http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/mm18/forum-2/DSCN1030.jpg
 
Terry, it would need to be an ice fishing pole. His birthday was, or is, January 11th. Mine is January 18th. Now, in my neck of the wood, it's tends to be a tad nippy that time of the year. So, neither of our birthdays would be a good time to don the waders and stand chest deep in a stream. lol

bob
 


Good morning everyone.

I've been doing the summer thing with both families this week. We're finally starting to hang out with my family as well as my wife's. Seeing both families this often doesn't leave a whole lot of time for modeling. Oh well, the trains will always be there.

I've been building a couple of kits in my spare time. One of them is the same hotel that Jeffrey built a few weeks ago. My initial plan was to paint it all one color to represent a hotel here in town that was torn down during 'urban renewal' in the seventies. The problem I'm having is a little too much uniformity once I added the window shades out of masking tape. After looking at it, I removed all of the 'shades' and glass to start over in the painting process. Now I have to paint each window to add a little contrast. That's a lot of windows! We'll see how steady my hand is!

I hope you all are doing well. Congrats to Karl on the job! Philip, I wish your family well.

To the rest of you, have a good weekend.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top