Welcome to Coffee Shop 17

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


Status
Not open for further replies.

leghome

Maytag "Danged Agitator"
Ah I love the smell of fresh paint. After Chris's antics int he old shop it is really really good to see the new place. Chris please behave here in our new digs as the expense is getting to much for us to handle maybe we can get some Government Stimulus funding but we will not declare bankruptcy to qualify.
 
Good morning folks.

I nice new coffee shop we have here. It smells much better indeed!

I've been busy getting ready to go to Vegas for the weekend. It wouldn't normally be something that needs planning, but this trip is different. It's my sister in law's college graduation. We have rented a house in order to save money on the hotel and food expenses. It's also needed to have a party for the grad. I thought she meant like twenty people when she said party. Oh no, she invited over fifty people to a house that's in MY NAME for the week. Very considerate on her behalf huh? As I've said before, I've never even seen this chick naked, why would I help out like this. Well, I guess if I ever want to see the wife naked again I'll play along.

Jeffrey, I'm glad to hear that your mother didn't have a stroke.

I have another long and boring day at work today.

Have a great day everyone!
 
AAAAHH--Good Morning---is so much nicer smelling ain't it?

We're getting a mix of sun/cloud and the high of 19C with tonights low at 6C. We're looking at about this temperature area until mid week next week.:D But with the chance of showers:(--a monsoonal thing came through earlier:eek:

Corey---Uh oh, is there a possibility of there being a house left when the party is finished?:eek:

I'm doing a bit of gardening this morning---move a few pots around--big whoop. Then it is off to the trainroom and go back to changing out trucks---:eek:

Have a good one---And Chris please refrain from interior fertilization projects--:eek::):)
 


I'm back from holidays and you b*ggers moved out on me. :(

Jeffery, glad it wasn't a stroke. I cared for my dad after his first of many and it wasn't the kind of thing I would wish upon anyone. Hope your mom is doing better.

Looks like I've got a lot of reading to catch up on with everyone's events of the past few days.

Trip was good. Eurostar and Thalys is the only way to travel. Belgian railways broke the illusion of European railway perfection when the train from Brussels to Amsterdam was late arriving only to be later still due to a loco failure. Then again the service was supposed to be temporary while the new high speed line was commissioned. Left over locos and stock running 2 years later than planned. If I get some time and incentive I'll post up a couple of rail related pics.

Have a good one all.
 
Hey All...

You're right....this room IS nicer! :)

Jeffrey...How is your Mom? Do you have an update today? Have they determined what caused the fall? When I worked EMS, our docs always needed to know what caused a fall. Was it loss of cons., did the pt trip? I do pray that your Mom is doing well and will be home SOON.

Corey...Sounds like ya'll will be having fun in Vegas. We have our family reunions at Fort Fisher (sp) in NC and we rent a couple of houses. It is so much nicer than everyone being scattered all over town. Have fun!!

Chris...Congrats on the weight loss. That is pretty amazing. How do you feel?

Tom...You exhaust me! You are one of the busiest people! Where do you get all the energy?? :)

I have been seeing those tiny, wind up cars around town. I hate seeing them along side a semi. Sheesh! The only good thing about them is that you never have to look for parking...just get out of the car and put it in your pocket! :D

It is a southern day here in Colorado. Started pouring yesterday night and hasn't let up. Humidity is 100% and it's flippin' muggy. Only 55 today.

This week I will be taking care of a little lady from our church who will turn 101 this month. She is as precious as can be. She lives with her son and DIL and they are off to CA for a graduation. I have stayed with her before and it is always a delight. Lots and lots of great stories.

I hope everyone has a great week!

Sandy
 
Hello there! I found you.
After I caught up on my reading in the coffee shop, I realized it was locked. My first thought was, " Uh-OH! Chris done opened his mouth too far.".:D

My cousin and wife left this morning and are headed back to Hoosier Land. We had a great visit and my cousin and I yakked to the wee hours each night, never completely catching up with the family news...and settling world affairs.

Got all my roofing contracts signed and ready to fax to the insurance company for mo money. Fortunately, every one's work will be within the insurance estimates. I will add another $1100 and get 35 year high profile shingles put on. They are suppose to withstand 80mph winds...look great also.

FYI: Yes, Ford will make a killing selling cars, Why: They have dealers to sell them. :rolleyes::D:D

:)Have a good'un!:)
 
I've been so tied up today I haven't had a chance to get in here for more than a minute or two. My mother is off the critical list. She has been downgraded to serious. She's had short bouts of consciousness but no speech as of yet. It's reported that she has no feeling on one side of her body but that may only be temporary. I had a similar thing happen to me for a couple of days after a head injury in 1980. Very scary stuff. They'll let us know if there's any change in her condition.

I picked up two new covered hoppers in Alexandria yesterday. A Santa Fe Canadian type hopper and a New York Central hopper. It of course will be patched.

http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/mm18/forum-2/P6020414.jpg

http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/mm18/forum-2/P6020416.jpg
 
Whew! I got an e-mail from Rex saying Flo had gone bankrupt. :eek: I was afraid we were going to have a government run coffee shop there for a while. Looks like Flo's still doing OK though. Maybe we should all pay our tabs so she survives. :)

Jeffrey, it's good to hear that your mom's condition got upgraded. It will be tricky for the next couple of days until they know if there was any brain damage. I'll keep praying she makes a full recovery.

Corey, fifty college kids at a party in your rented house? I'd have some pepper spray handy. I hope they all behave themselves. If they start hauling in kegs, then it's time to haul out the pepper spray. :) Unfortunately, seeing the wife's sister naked is rarely the criteria for how much effort you're expected to put out. :D

Andrew, good to see you back. Compared to Amtrak, I'm sure your train travel was pretty close to on-time. Amtrak considers it good if they are less than eight hours late on any long distance run.

Sandy, I've been watching the weather out there. Pretty early start to the monsoon season but Colorado can always use the rain. That's nice that you are taking care of that lady from church while the family gets a vacation. Sounds like you should have become a nurse.

Rex, I see you found your way here too. Looks like a pretty good batch of storms firing up in the Tuscaloosa area. I never really thought about it but getting a new roof when there's no rain is a lot tricker here than in California, where it doesn't rain at all from June through September. I had those profile shingles put on the house in California and it's worth the money. Not only does it look nicer but the glue tabs are closer together. After about a month in the sun, it forms one monolithic surface. You'll loose the roof before you lose any shingles. Sounds like you had some good family time. Ford reported today their sales were still down 24% in May over April but up 11% over last year. Considering that they hardly sold any cars a year ago, it's not hard to have a year over year increase.

Phillip, sorry, but it's not Friday yet. Check back in three days. ;)

Chris, not to worry, I notice that Flo has installed pooper scoopers above every booth. :p

The furnace is really on here. High was 98 and the low was only 72. The dewpoint is creeping up but, so far, all the storms are up by Rex's place with just scattered buildups here. I hope we finally get a few drops as things are starting to wilt now. I don't if dogs can be mentally ill but this dog we're babysitting is not right. Never stops yapping and whining and, no matter how many times I take her out, she will come back inside and promptly take a dump somewhere in the house. She has also developed the habit of dragging cat poop out of the litter box for snacks. :eek: Even Dianna, who loves all animals, can't wait for Monday to come so we can return this devil dog.
 
The radar around here is showing all kinds of red, purple and even a few black dots. The weather guessers say the black means some hail is involved in that storm. Thank goodness that is all south of us so far and I hope it stays there. My 94 Chevy pickup sits out side and with only PL/PD insurance I don't need no stinkin hail.
We got a call from the bank today and we close on our mortgage refinancing either the end of this week or beginning of next. That is a big load off of my mine what little I have left. With GM going bankrupt who knows what will happen to my pension and benefits. With this refinancing we should have little or no trouble keeping our home and the layout. Glendia was complaining about what the insurance does not cover anymore and I just said I am glad of what we do have cause there are a lot who have no insurance at all. The retired GM salaried employees have lost almost if not all of their benefits.
 


Good evening---

Got 16 more cars done and found three that had coupler issues. 2 seemed to have completely popped out'n the pockets and the 3rd is just---well, mixfused.
Gonna go back into the trainroom to finish a bunch more so that I can start to deal with the couplers that need replacing----beyond the 3 really messed up ones---

Jim Mention the dog thing to the owners when they get back. There could be a medical issue involved---that or the dog is mentally disturbed--either way notify them. We had some rain this morning but it seems to be south of us for now----

Phil So sad--not yet---:(:(
 
Went to Alexandria today with my father and sister to see my mother. She's regained consciousness so they have her heavily sedated so she'll sleep. She could hear us and knew we were there but it was like being in a dream to her. She's regained full movement of her limbs but is still on the 'serious' list. She's expected to continue improving. She's got a beautiful black eye! Boy is she gonna be pissed when she wakes up.
 
Jeff: Glad she is doing better. I shall pray she gets a full recovery.

So it is my friend's 20th birthday today, and in celebration, we are having a small shingding. Going to have a bonfire and grill some nice steaks out on the grill. It pays to have a friend who works with a lot of meat. Nothing like some fresh cut beef for dinner.
 
Well, no train timefor Tony today. Been running around with the wife all evening after work shopping and looking for stuff for the upcoming wedding. It must really be getting close if I have to do these kinds of things!:eek:

Jeffery; Good to hear about your mom, hope she continues to improve!:)

Well another long one for me, I am beat. Talk to you guys later...
 
Evening guys & gals!
Flo, here's Jim's credit card to bring my tab up to date. Chris said it was ok! :D
Rex, Ford has less dealers than it did last year! We lost several in the Baltimore/DC area in the last 12 months and it wasn't just confined to this area. Ford just did it quietly!! Now G.M. and Chrysler dealers are closing up faster than a bull's butt at fly time!! Really sucks for this former Service Manager/Service Consultant. I'm doing alright, just barking up the aftermarket shops and import dealers trees. :rolleyes:
Jim, in light of his snack habits, remember, don't let the dog lick your face! :eek::eek::eek:
Jeffrey. Sorry to hear about your Mom. Hope you get her back home soon, just don't show her a mirror for a week to 10 days!!
Corey, 50 college kids and you? You have my deepest and most heartfelt sympathies. If the drinking games start, grab a video camera.....the footage may be valuable in a few years! :eek:
Phil. Sorry, I had to!! :D
its_not_friday_yet-1431.gif

Finally got Dad out of the Hospital and back to the retirement home yesterday. He must be feeling better. He has had some bladder issues for a while, but yesterday when the nurse's aide tried to change his Depends, she asked him "James, can you come into the bathroom with me for a minute." To which he replied,"Why, can't you go by yourself?" :rolleyes::D
Good Greif!
 
Jeff: Glad your Ma is doing much better. Don't let anyone kid you; old people can still bounce and be much tougher than we give them credit for. It just takes longer to bounce back up;). Just ask Jim, Karl, or Larry....they know all about it!:D (Me? Nawh, I got a few years to go:rolleyes:.)

Karl: That was a good one from your DAD. They can come up with them when we least expect it. Ha!

Anyone: do you know why they are closing dealers that are successful? None of this makes since to me, please clue me in. I thought that by the dealership being privately owned, they are financially independent of the manufacturer. I know that dealers finance their orders through their Financial Services (CFS,GMAC, FFS,) but they are a separate Corporation from the manufacturer (sort-of :D).

Many in the Birmingham area will have to drive 30 or more miles just to get their cars serviced and it is worse in the smaller towns (a Chevy dealer in Eutaw, AL is closing and the car owners will have to drive 55 miles to T-town). I know if I were looking for a new truck, I may think twice about having to drive many miles to look at one. Probably go with a second choice that is within my area.

Just don't see how this helps the manufacturers' financial woes.:confused: I saw on the news that several of our Congressman are asking the same questions and want to investigate the viability of all this.

WAIT!! I got it...they are going to go to the HUB system like all the airlines.:eek::mad:
 
Well, Flo, a quick coffee before bedtime. No, caffeine doesn't keep me awake.

Worked ALL DAY in the shop on the router working on the fascia for the nursing home layout. Set up, run, change the set up and bit, run through again.... I used a few peices of burled walnut that I'd been saving, but this project cried out for a unique trim. So, I used it. Finally got'er done. Tough on router bits though.

I'll load up the miter saw, compressor, and nailer tomorrow and begin fastening the trim. Shouldn't take all that long. Fill the holes and varnish with a urethane and be done with that part.

The layout is really nice. I'll get some pictures when we finish. We still have some scenery to finish at the mating lines and a few structures to set. And of course, a bit of wiring. I'll be glad to get it all done, up, and running. Then I can move to the new house with a clear mind knowing it's done and I'm not leaving any work for the others.

I'm amazed at how fast it went. An amazing group of guys helped out, and that's for sure. My layout has been over 15 years in process, and I still find things to do.

Anyway, nice new shop, Flo. Seems to be a bit bigger.

Well, all, it's my bedtime. 'Night.

Bob
 
So the friends finally left. Great night of steak, s'mores, music (via friend on guitar), and good times all around. Friend bought 15.5 pounds of steak. We cooked up half of it. Used A1 for a marinade. Probably some of the best tasting steak I have ever had.

In all honesty, I am surprised the cops were not called, being a Tuesday night. I think one drove by down the road behind my house, but by then we quieted down. I do know there will be another fire this weekend. I have 13 more steaks to cook up!
 


Status
Not open for further replies.




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top