Weekly Photo Fun 8-21/8-27

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


A little road removal going on to make way for a freight loading/unloading area.

DSCN1746.jpg
 
I also bought 10 of these! (two 5 packs made by Athearn.) Thrall high side Gondolas. The theory with buying older Thrall gons is that the mine (off layout) is served by BNSF but the track is too light to handle new bethgons and large locos, so a train of 15 Thrall hoppers (scale length) will operate behind a triple lash up of SD40-2s or quad GP38-2s, with the odd SD45-2 thrown in for measure. On the layout this will operate as a loaded and empties train, with me eventually getting 30+ of these. Nice models.
I hate to break it to you, but the Thrall gondolas have the same weight capacity, 100T... They are beautiful cars though!

Central Avenue as the sun starts to set on another hot Southern summer day. The new Walthers traffic light is up and working and is amazingly bright for a little thing:

CentralAveatDusk.jpg
How do you like that stop light? I was going to buy one, but I have no real use for it on the current layout.
 
Josh, the Walthers stop light/traffic light/red light (depending on where you're from :) ) are gems. Don't pay the full retail. Walthers or someone always has them on sale. I got the hanging four way for $14 and the controller for $28. The LED's are appropriately bright and all the wiring is concealed. It's about as easy as it gets to set up, just run the wires under the layout, screw them on the right terminals, and attach the controller under the layout. It's light so I used Velco, which seems to be working fine. Only downside is that you can't control the pattern, it's fixed to give so much time of the green, three seconds for the yellow, and then switches to red. It's red four ways for about two seconds before the other direction gets a green. This isn't unusual but not all that common either. I'd like to be able to have it switch to green immediately as soon as the other direction gets a red. Small niggles though. Seems pretty durable as well since I accidentally left it on one night and it was still doing its thing the next afternoon. :D Oh, yeah, the standard color is black but I painted mine yellow since that's the normal color down here. Makes the light stand out a little more too.
 
Last edited by a moderator:


Good stuff, fellas. It is consistently high quality on WPF here. :)

I havent posted this image, to my recollection. I took it about a year ago when I had sprinkled WS snow for another shot with a FM H24-66 that has been favourably reviewed.

IMG_3422cshadj.png


-Crandell

Beautiful scene!!!!!
 
Thanks, everyone, for your compliments. Sorry to acknowledge them so late, but I have had "issues" with my modem. Service call from ISP coming on Tuesday.

Jim, your urban scenes are really good. I hope to duplicate that to the extent possible on my next layout, although nothing so grand of scale. It would take me three lifetimes. :p

-Crandell
 
Josh, the Walthers stop light/traffic light/red light (depending on where you're from :) ) are gems. Don't pay the full retail. Walthers or someone always has them on sale. I got the hanging four way for $14 and the controller for $28. The LED's are appropriately bright and all the wiring is concealed. It's about as easy as it gets to set up, just run the wires under the layout, screw them on the right terminals, and attach the controller under the layout. It's light so I used Velco, which seems to be working fine. Only downside is that you can't control the pattern, it's fixed to give so much time of the green, three seconds for the yellow, and then switches to red. It's red four ways for about two seconds before the other direction gets a green. This isn't unusual but not all that common either. I'd like to be able to have it switch to green immediately as soon as the other direction gets a red. Small niggles though. Seems pretty durable as well since I accidentally left it on one night and it was still doing its thing the next afternoon. :D Oh, yeah, the standard color is black but I painted mine yellow since that's the normal color down here. Makes the light stand out a little more too.
Thanks Jim! Ours are commonly black, and single direction per pole (4 poles for a 4 way intersection), however, I remember the single pole, single lights from my childhood with the yellow light, as per yours. I do notice the lights here in San Diego usually have around 1 second of all red, sometimes longer depending on the speed of the roads.
 
Jim Have you ever come across any single yellow flashing hanging lights? I'm looking at a photo that I had from the 1970's that shows one over an intersection at a village near here.
 
Nice work everybody!

Hey Jim, I've got one of those Walthers stop lights too! :D

AveryStreetWest04a_800x600.jpg


Great scenic element, but tricky to photograph; since I can't calibrate the controller, I had to skip using my camera's shutter time delay, very carefully snap the pic, and hope the shutter would close before the light changed colors!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Nope, sure didn't. That bid went way over my limit. I've got to stop buying off EBay for awhile. My wife said I was way over my limit. LOL
I bought one of those new Atlas Track Cleaning cars last nite for $83.00 & also finally got an ER Models monorail for $51.00. My wife doesn't know about these 2 yet. She will when the credit card bill comes in, then I will be grounded for good.:(

ohh i know about keeping it a secret. the 2 auctions I won i forgot i had bid on. and now that we have a joint account i can't things secret anymore. But beeing this was only $50 or so it wasn't bad telling her.
 


Jeffery - your new background looks goooood! - care to share you tricky eye? Also the weathering on your RBox.

Jim - nice CSX - are the railroad police after Rico?
MD, Grampys, and RRguy - always inspiring.

Got the Pegram auto bridge assembled and placed. Need to weather it.
 
Crandell, thanks for the compliment. I couldn't get your trackwork and mountain scenery done in three lifetimes either. Hey, maybe if we built a joint layout, we could get it done in one lifetime. :)

Jeffrey, you need a dump truck and skip loader next.

Josh, the common traffic light in California are those on arms mounted to street light poles, four per intersection, as you say. This is really only common in the west. Down here, they are just starting the practice on new construction. Most traffic lights are multiple heads mounted on wires that go across the intersection. There's nothing to secure them from blowing in the wind and we lose a few with every bad wind storm. I can only imagine after a hurricane. :eek: The duration of red all around before changing is also completely non-standard, with Walthers taking its cue from the west. Most of our lights change instantly from red one direction to green the opposite direction. Our traffic lights in Prattville are all black and the ones in Montgomery, the next city over, and most of Alabama, are yellow. You'd think they could standardize all this and save a few bucks somewhere.

BOC, I know exactly the type of light you're asking about. Sometimes they'd be yellow all the way around, red all the way around, or red one direction and yellow the opposite direction. I have my Life-Like traffic lights set so they will flash yellow if a train is on the downtown spur. I have never seen a working model of one of these, which is strange, since there are thousands around North America. You could probably make one with a hollow block of styrene and four surface mount LED's hooked to a flasher under the layout. Concealing the wires would be a challenge. Now that I think about it, you could use one of the 360 degree LED's with lenses on four sides so you only have one set of wires to contend with. It would be a neat project if you wanted to work on it. I'll bet it would have some commercial value as well considering how well the Walthers traffic lights have been selling.

Ken, nice street scene. It looks like your lights are the original Walthers colors. Painting mine yellow without sloping any paint on the LED's was a real pain. I also painted the support pole flat black so it looked more like a typical light hanging from wires in the intersection. I just took my picture and took what came. It would be nice if the Walthers controller would let you stop the light on one color. I blew two shots because the lense happened to open just as the green was changing to yellow and got both colors in the picture. It looked weird. :)

Jon, I don't know about the railroad police, that Rico guy sure seems to get around. :) That is the best, all-time coolest auto truss bridge I've ever seen. Wood deck bridges like that used to be very common and yours is the only one I've ever seen modeled. Are you planning to put street lights hanging from middle of the span? That would make the bridge perfect. Great job!
 
I hate to break it to you, but the Thrall gondolas have the same weight capacity, 100T... They are beautiful cars though!


I read somewhere they were only 90t...oh well... story changes slightly, then. :D the mine is too small to warrant a train of newer hoppers so older Thrall hoppers are used. ;)
 
Jeffrey, the first cloud looks good. The second set look too small and really aren't cloud shaped. Also, the bottoms should be darker than the tops.
 
Jeffrey, the first cloud looks good. The second set look too small and really aren't cloud shaped. Also, the bottoms should be darker than the tops.
They're bigger than they look. On the off colored ones I tried a technique using silver first then white. It didn't work out very well so I'm using just white now. I had wanted the silver to mix with the white and make a gray at the bottom but the paint had other ideas.
 
Here are a few I took at the club. I finnaly wore out my 4-8-2 gears pulling 65 car trains. its squacks like a bird now so its in the repair shop. (I put a power car in the consist to make it look like it can pull the whole train, love the comments on how good it pulls LOL )after parking the Mountain I had to pull out my new Milw A-B-B-A F units to take over for the 2nd half of the day
 
here you see one of the 3 staging/set up yards at the club the first 3 tracks at the top are the cars that my mountian and F units were pulling. What was funny was the mountian and powerd car pull better than the 2 powered F units. Steam still rules!
 
Last edited by a moderator:






Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top