Weekly Photo Fun 7/17-7/23

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


After dropping its consist Great Northern 2-10-2 number X2100 trundles carefully over the switch's going for water and oil before climbing on the turntable for light repairs and a quick turnaround back to the main.

GN2100headlite.png
 
I haven't added anything to the weekly photo fun for awhile, so here's a small project I've thrown together.

100_4361.jpg


100_4365.jpg


100_4366.jpg


100_4368.jpg


After she dries, she'll get some gloss-coat and decals.
 
Jon, I forgpt to mention how nice job you did on that coaling station. Those old Bachmann kits can be made to look really nice with some point and etail work.

SW, nice Erie scene.

Matt, that decking on the ice platform looks like the real thing. I like all the fidderent stain colors.

Chris, I've used really diluted India ink and alcohol to stain large amounts of wood before assemble. I just throw the in a bowl, let 'em sit for about 15 minutes, Spread 'em out on a newspaper and they will be ready to go the next day. Never gad a glue adhesion problem but, you're right, wotking in N scale is a little more of a challenge getting all those little pieces of wod to stay together. :)

BB, that's an amazing Lego layout. I had no idea that building Lego model trains was such a popular pastime.

Jeffrey, that Mustang has kind of a gangster look to it. I'd stay out of the wrong side of town with it after dark. :D

Well, Mayor Bubba got the new stimulus money traffic lights installed and the 1180 took a test run down the Main Street spur. No problems with the new, higher lights. Chief Mechanical Officer Buster managed to dig up a pair of old Gyralights and a red big hole light to restore the front of the 1180 to the SP look. The Gyralights were a little too big so they had to be installed at an angle but Buster likes them. One of these days, he's hoping to find enough spare parts to do the cab also.

1170onMain.jpg


A head on view as the 1180 head up Main.

1170attrafficlight.jpg


The Monster on Main Street. :eek:. The SW-1500 doesn't look all that much bigger than the 70 tonner until you see how much of the Main and Court intersection it blocks.

MonsteronMain.jpg
 


Jim, those are some really great downtown scenes! The traffic lights look great, and that switcher coming down the street is awesome! That's some fine modeling. DJ
 
Jim: Really like the brick street with the rails running down it. Shame that girder rail is so tough to find in HO but you seem to have done an excellent job setting the track in plane with the street.

Some progress shots from todays work. First up is a shot of the HO scale warehouse base, building will be started tomorrow to fit down the middle of the dock. Then some more shots showing the progress on the ice house.
 
And the rest of the progress photos on the ice house. This is one massive piece, the base is 44" long with the icing platform being 32". Still have to scratch build a roof over the platform and install lighting.
 
Thanks, DJ. For some reason, the camera seems to have developed an astigmatism in the second picture. :) Those traffic lights really are straight but they look crooked. I also realize I need to get those lights buried in the trees more. Those LED's look huge!

Matt, can't take any credit for the track, it was part of the Walthers street system, as are the brick streets. I did have to line up the center track sections so they looked halfways decent and did the painting and weathering. It would be nice if Walthers gave you the option of using girder rail track for their street systems but, to my knowledge, there's no RTR non-traction girder rail. That is a massive ice house. That conveyor with the block of ice and the one coming out the door with the flexible curtain really nake the scene.
 
GM, missed your picture of your big steam power trundling through the yard. Nice paint and weathering. Jerome, kind of different kitbash for you but that came out to be a really good looking scale car. That'll be a nice yard detail.
 
Copper Range coach #60 is nearing completion. The prototype is is housed a the Mid-Continent Railway Musuem, and is in fully operable condition!
http://www.mcrwy.com/collectn/woodpas/cr60m.jpg

I need trucks still, wood beam, 8' wheels base to be exact. Precision Scale makes something very close, as did Overland. I'd like to get a hold of the Overland part (OMI # 9612). Otherwise it'll be PS 33122/33122.1/33122.2 OR 33206/33207/33208, none of which are an exact match for the wood beam 8' wheel base AC&F trucks on the car.
 


The project for this early afternoon was to finish up some scenery at the Ice Pond behind Cooley's Blue Ice. Here is the back of the pond where a young couple are sitting and enjoying each others company on a beautiful Summer's day.

IcePondRepour01w.png


And one of the falls and the pond at the back of the Ice House:

IcePondRepour02w.png
 
That's a nice pond you've got there, Ray. We had a farm pond near my home when I was growing up, learned to swim and ice skate on it. And, great looking ice house, can't wait till winter to see some blocks of ice moving on that conveyor.:D
 
It's been so hot that I haven't had much desire to get out and do anything with my trains. Actually, the desire is there, the will to fight the heat isn't.

I started this weekend on what I call phase 2 of my diorama (the middle part). I plastered the dirt road grade crossing, started assembling overpass #2 and, plastered in overpass #1. Next I will paint the plaster brown, add my fake dirt, and just plain make it look like the real grade crossing that I am trying to model. As soon as my two overpass bridges are set, I will take the bridge part of them off and start adding dirt and grass.

Here is what it looks like as of today:
Picture405.jpg


Picture409.jpg
 
Last edited by a moderator:
That's a nice pond you've got there, Ray. We had a farm pond near my home when I was growing up, learned to swim and ice skate on it. And, great looking ice house, can't wait till winter to see some blocks of ice moving on that conveyor.:D

Thank you DJ! The Ice house is a scratch build (loosely) patterned after an Ice House (Working Museum) in Tobyhanna Junction, PA. Got lots of photos on an excursion from Steamtown several years ago. The entire structure is basically board by board construction.
 
Ray: That is a nice ice house, might be unique on layouts with the attached pond and ice conveyor.

Here are some shots of the roof trusses for the large icing platform on the workbench. Still have a few more to go then the busses for the lights can be installed.

Matt Dillow
MD Custom Models
 
Matt,

Could you tell me what technique you use to get your real weathered wood look. I need to make and old fince, power poles, grade crossing and an abandoned track (ties) as you can see in my posting just above. Yours look so great and real. Thanks
 
I started this weekend on what I call phase 2 of my diorama (the middle part). I plastered the dirt road grade crossing, started assembling overpass #2 and, plastered in overpass #1. Next I will paint the plaster brown, add my fake dirt, and just plain make it look like the real grade crossing that I am trying to model. As soon as my two overpass bridges are set, I will take the bridge part of them off and start adding dirt and grass.

Those are some beautiful overpasses, are they custom built?
 
Zak: I pre-stain all my lumber with a mixture of 70 percent alcohol from Walmart mixed with some Model Master acrylic "Aircraft Interior Black". Every so often I will dip my brush into some Tamiya acrylic "Red Brown" for some contrast. The sticks are then used in a random pattern to achieve the look. This is similar to the traditional ink/alcohol mix but I find it give more color variation to the wood.

Matt Dillow
MD Custom Models
 






Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top