Weekly Photo Fun 12/4 - 12/10

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


2 recently completed buildings for a new narrow industrial siding along a wall.

Arrowhead Ale background building with added roof details. The a/c unit, the small angled vent, and the flanged monitor vent are actually N scale pieces. The 2 large angle vents and modified T vent on the front face are HO scale. Chimney is a Tichy piece.
picture.php


A broader view of the siding mock up. Building on left is River City Textiles without the water tank & support and right side elevator area cut off. HO roof detials and external blower & duct added. Small brick utility structure in foreground was built from the cut off parts of the RCT elevator head house. A wall hung air compressor and a few vents add a little interest.
picture.php
 
WOW beautiful buildings Mike!! I love the detailing, weathering, and modifications you put into those 2 structures. Very well done!! Im glad to see those N scale Roof Details be put to use on some HO structures :D
 
WOW beautiful buildings Mike!! I love the detailing, weathering, and modifications you put into those 2 structures. Very well done!! Im glad to see those N scale Roof Details be put to use on some HO structures :D

Thanks Josh. In the real world there is no one size fits all when it comes to vents and climate control units so I decided to mix in some of the N scale stuff and see how it ended up. i'm very happy with the end result but I will admit a few of the N scale pieces in those Walthers kits are almost too small to be of much use in HO unless I wanted to air condition a one hole outhose. LOL
 


Thanks Josh. In the real world there is no one size fits all when it comes to vents and climate control units so I decided to mix in some of the N scale stuff and see how it ended up. i'm very happy with the end result but I will admit a few of the N scale pieces in those Walthers kits are almost too small to be of much use in HO unless I wanted to air condition a one hole outhose. LOL

LOL yeah i was looking at the kits before i packed them and sent them out, some of them did look tiny and much too small for anything in HO, but i like your idea of a one hole outhouse! :D
 
Nice job on those building flats, Mike, especially with all the added details. I built one of the Arrowhead Ale flats as a view block behind my feed mill. One of the things I did was stick a couple of tall, skinny pine trees on each end to disguise the shallowness of the building.
 
Some early shots of some of the scratch built shelving units for the machine shop. Note the open drawer on the left hand unit.

Matt Dillow
MD Custom Models
 
Matt, those shelves look better than most 1:1 shelves.

Jeffrey, those kids at the park must be frezing by now. :)
 
And now for something completely different

Well the camera is busted and I've been hinting at Santa for a new one, heck she broke it in the first place! So meanwhile for your enjoyment, I've dug up a few pics of one of my favorite projects. If any of you ever visit the Internet Modeler site you may have seen my write up on this kit in October '07. This actually doesn't have a home on my layout but finally I found a spot across a doorway from the layout for it. Next layout, I plan a small amusement park, and this is a good start. Never have got the little cars to stay on the track:confused: (they do go up the hill - then fly off going down) It's not like I'm going to sit and watch this thing for very long anyway. I hope you enjoy!:)
 


First off a couple of shots of the Cranberry Iron Works stock house roof. Piece is in Sn3 and is being totally scratch built since no one has every done a 1890's era iron/steel furnace. Roof by the way is covered with individual 2'x6' scale corrugated iron plates (thousands of them).

Next are a couple of shots of pieces that are being worked into the Texas & Great Plains machine shop. O scale. The signs are ones that I made and printed. They include a couple of pin ups, newspapers, can labels, invoices, book bindings, and one of my favorite signs for "Nipples in Cartons". Second shot is of one of the jacks, note the tiny "45", numbered to insure that it stays where it is supposed to, ie. the machine shop not borrowed by the roundhouse crew.

Matt Dillow
MD Custom Models
 
Some semi finished shots (still some details to add) of the Cranberry Iron Works stock house along with the brick machine shop. These are in Sn3. Total length of the base board is 69". This is phase I, still have the rest of the iron furnace to build by May. Both the stock house and the machine shop are cut off at angles to fit against the backdrop. This piece is the first thing you see as you enter into John's layout room. Angle was chosen to better face the doorway and provide some dynamics in the piece. The three rail coke track is a dummy but the pair of ore/limestone tracks on the trestles are to be used.

Matt Dillow
MD Custom Models
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Matt, I'm always in awe when I see your work. How do you keep from going completely nuts doing things like that sheet metal roofing?

Gary, I've always looked at those carnival rides in the Walters catalog and wanted to do an amusement part if I had the room. The Comet coaster looks like it came out real nice, even if the cars won't stay on the tracks. :)

Jeffrey, I'm still jealous.
 
A small O scale backdrop building that I did today. This is for one of my client's wives who ordered it for her Christmas gift for her model railroader husband. Building is set at a shallow angle. Detail is complete right down to a rat peering out from under the stairs. Curtains are bits of lace.

Matt Dillow
MD Custom Models
 
What a treasure, Jeff! :D Is it your aim to slowly acquire a cut of these types of cars? They look great in a modern urban landscape, on sidings and such. I don't tend to notice such nice handiwork on shots out in the country with near head end angles and lots of rural scenery showing, but against a warehouse ramp....oooohhh.

-Crandell
 


It's my intention to acquire a couple more from other roads but not all at once. I'll likely space them out over the coming year as my budget is rather small.
 




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top