Weekly Photo Fun 12/4 - 12/10

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


Here's my latest decodered engine, A P2K FA-2 rounding the sawmill curve on a friend's layout.
2009_11290064.jpg
 
What a great image, Glen. Nicely done. Love those low angles and trestles.

Jim and CSXPAID, thank-you for your compliments. :-)

-Crandell
 


Here is a weathering project I finished last week. Unlike so many of my previous weathered cars, this one has an actual history.

The model railroad club I belong to, the Colorado & Great Western, is one of two major HO modular clubs here in Denver, with the other club being Colorado Rail Link. Both clubs usually transport their respective modules to most of the major train shows in Colorado, where we each set up our own layouts and both vie for public attention. Some think of us as friendly rivals, but history holds that the Colorado & Great Western club was formed by a splinter group within Colorado Rail Link. Our founding members decided to withdraw from Colorado Rail Link and form the Colorado & Great Western, ultimately establishing a new club and building a new modular layout. However, we are still both two different clubs in Denver and somewhat competitors.

While at a local swapmeet earlier this year, I happened upon a woodchip gondola decorated for the Colorado Rail Link club. I instantly purchased the car with intentions of putting it into C&D (construction and demolition debris) service, repatched for my own fictional leasing company. But then… a better idea came along. What if I restenciled the car for the Colorado & Great Western?! The idea was born, and you couldn’t talk me out of it.

The car was proudly displayed on a siding on the Colorado & Great Western layout at last weekend’s train show. The siding was on the edge of our layout that directly faced the Colorado Rail Link club, quickly grabbing the attention of that club’s members and becoming one of the biggest conversation pieces at the train show.

And now for the pictures:

CGWR_3001_a.jpg


CGWR_3001_b.jpg


CGWR_3001_c.jpg


CGWR_3001_d.jpg


CGWR_3001_e.jpg


CGWR_3001_f.jpg
 
Glen, nice engine and nice shot.

SW, I can't remember if I mentioned this before, but your picture would have looked so much better without using the flash. The background detail and train itself would show up better with a tripod and longer exposure to use available light.

MTRPLS, why do I sense a range war brewing? Nice job on the "conversation piece".

Jeffrey, I'm jealous. ;)

Ed, looks like it's a lot of pixels that just made it under the forum limit for size. Happens sometimes. I hope your next layout is even better.
 


Some pictures of the N scale mrr show last weekend in Germany:
the main passangerstation"Maastricht"
f_1fjix9aty5xm_2f6d630.jpg

chemycal indusry "under construction", not finished yet
f_1fjix9aukidm_c621dc1.jpg

Somewhere on the country( and close to the farm I made..:) )
f_1488u7ddhpjm_61e084d.jpg

Small comutertrain waits for departure...
f_1ih3korqmk0m_3bcc54a.jpg

small ruralstation "voerendaal" trackside:
f_1xwc4wwjh7tm_26d7608.jpg

modern comutertrain( Talent) waiting at "Voerendaal":
f_1qk9h98piglm_bdc9655.jpg


Jos
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Gramps,
How do you get your lighting correct? My pics seem to have a tinge of blue. Is it the flourecent lights? I can tell when my fill light is not close enough.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Chad: Yes, it probably is the lights. Depending on what camera you have, there should be an adjustment for different kinds of lights. All my lights are cool white fluorescents, except for this weeks, which was a curly, bulb replacement type fluorescent. Your focus and depth of field are very good, though. DJ.
 
Thanks for the info. Ill keep playing with it. I had the WB on the camera set for indoor light. I guess I could keep it in auto mode. Im using a Olympus DSLR. These I had the portable light closer and it has better color I think.
 
Hey, Chad, after looking at that photo with the house, is your ceiling painted blue? The reason I ask, is I originally had painted my ceiling blue, thinking, blue sky, right? No, it should be white, to reflect light down on the layout, esp. when there is a lot of green scenery, which soaks up light. The inside surface of my valance is also painted white. DJ. Those last two photos look pretty good. Oh, and another thing you may want to try, is under expose by a couple of steps, helps with a washed out look, I've been under exposing for a couple of months, and I think it makes a big difference.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Groveden - very impressive scenery. Is the chemical plant scratchbuilt?

Gramps - Love the nighttime shots. Good tips on lighting also.

At my place I've set up a holiday train loop. My housemates seem to be having a lot of fun with it too, hopefully we'll gain some converts!

The person who's supposed to be getting us a tree hasn't followed through yet, so there's a ceramic mushroom as a placeholder in the meantime.
20091206_mushroom_overview.jpg


The Great Sentient Mushroom...
20091206_mushroom_closeup.jpg


While shopping for resin buildings at the local thrift store (the ones around here seem to each generate about one a week) I came across some pewter figures that look like they're from some fantasy game. Sure makes for some interesting passengers.
20091206_mushroom_oak-station.jpg
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Just a little shot from the weekends module deployment.
The E unit is a Proto, the Consolidation is a re-detailed Tyco Chattanooga Choo-Choo that has a regular Mantua tender behind, in effect, a dummy. But it has a working headlight and looks great in a string of coal hoppers as a mid-train helper!!
cf07.jpg
 
Jos, those are some great pictures. Your trees are very apparent in the farm scene.

Chad, what color are the roads supposed to be? They look very blue in your pictures.

Smiley, a magic mushroom Christmas tree...only in Berkeley. :)

Jeffrey, how do your little people get across the tracks to shop in those buildings?

Karl, I'd never guess that 2-8-0 started as a Tyco. Is the motor completely out of it?
 


Karl, I'd never guess that 2-8-0 started as a Tyco. Is the motor completely out of it?

Jim, yeah, its a dummy. Those old Tycos had a diesel drive truck in the tender. I chucked the tender and put a spare Mantua tender behind it then did a little paint & detail work. My son also has one decorated for B&O. They make great looking "helpers" at the end of a train. (No speed matching, consisting, or bunching up if the lead units die)
Were going back next Sunday for more run time (we are set up til January 3rd) and just might bring out a coal drag at some point. I'll post pics of whatever we decide to run!
 




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top