Weekly Photo Fun 12-18/12-24

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


DSCN2059.jpg
 
This was my very first Athearn unit. Its awaiting motor parts and detail parts as well. Can't wait to get this one running again.

148012-20.jpg
 


Ah, yes the good old Athearn (former Globe) F-7. I wonder how many of us have never owned at least one? I can remember the days when UP and Santa Fe trains were powered mostly by F units. Good Lord, that seems like centuries ago now.
 
Nice work on the hopper Josh, looks good as do the wheels :D BTW, nice "graffiti" on the side in the last pic lol
There's actually some on both sides, the other side is black scribblings so it hides a tad better...

My first Athearn was an SD40-2.
 
Trying out my Christmas present!

Hello everyone, well Santa came early to my house with a nice new camera :)(Fuji S1500) to replace my old Fuji that
now just growns when I turn it on, then shuts off. So here is a few pics I took while trying to figure out all the cool features
of my new toy. Also showing off new new vehicles I've added to my streets. As you can see the streets themselves are
a work in progress. I hope you enjoy as much as I do everyone's work here.
 
Started working on the first of the "stoves" for the Cranberry Iron Works. Using a PVC core I am covering them with individual "iron" plates cut from .005 Evergreen sheet stock. The liquid cement applied liberally to the back side of each plate gives some interesting detail when it melts then dries, something I like when simulating older iron (Cranberry was built in the 1890's). Rivets are being made with glue drops applied directly to the edges of the plates after they are dry. Last shot shows the test location of the 65' tall stove in relation to the stock house.

Matt Dillow
MD Custom Models
 
Barry: The first shot is good, would have been better if I had backed up slightly I think.

Built the outside materials rack today for the machine shop. Pretty typical storage rack for long materials. It did use up 2 packages of Grant Line nbw castings but came out looking "right". Note the vines creeping up the brick wall also cross over to attached themselves to the wood rack.

Matt Dillow
MD Custom Models
 


Trent, great video, but you have to crank the sound up on the 765. I was expecting a big show but the wheels clacking across the joints were louder. :(

Gary, the new camera does a good job. I like that tow truck, and your street scenes are coming along nicely.
 
Jim, Thanks, the Tow truck is a Matchbox Real Working Rig, needs a little work on the plastic boom and front bumper, but doesn't scale out badly. I also got their Waste Management garbage truck. That is really nice! Others in the series scale out pretty good too. I plan to go back and pickup a few more. Wal-mart $4.95, not bad at all.
 
Is that white stuff modeling snow Jeff? If so the flakes are just a bit large. I like the coloring on the trucks. What color did you use?
 
Is that white stuff modeling snow Jeff? If so the flakes are just a bit large. I like the coloring on the trucks. What color did you use?
The white is what's left of a whitewash. The color on the trucks is a flat latex equivalent of Floquil Rail Tie Brown that I had mixed at Lowe's.
 
Trent I agree with Jim great video but turn up the sound a little. Is it possible to follow the loco a little more or not?

NYC_George
 
Jim, Thanks, the Tow truck is a Matchbox Real Working Rig, needs a little work on the plastic boom and front bumper, but doesn't scale out badly. I also got their Waste Management garbage truck. That is really nice! Others in the series scale out pretty good too. I plan to go back and pickup a few more. Wal-mart $4.95, not bad at all.
They are nice trucks! You might want to kitbash on a different cab though, its kind of new for your era. The boom is pretty new too, say 80's-now, prior to that it would have been a boom like that of the Athearn models.
 
Jim - Ah, my era is the second half of the twentieth century, give or take twenty years that allows me a lot of lee way. But I do try not to mix up too much in a single scene. The CNW passenger train and truck scene was the one that grated me as a mix of eras.

Now here's a few more test pics with the new camera. Also showing off my new roofing crew and sign on my Sears Roebucks. The water tower is waiting for the temperatures to improve to get a spray of primer.
 
Gary, that Sears building is a fine job. I've got the same roofing crew working on my city hall. :) I also have vehicles and train that are at least 20 years apart. I don't let it worry me - I just like to have fun.

Jeffrey, why did you whitewash that tank car? It actually does a little like snow.
 


Something a bit different from me. This is a 26' hopper bottom gondola in proto-48. Built it for my layout which while narrow gauge will have several points where it interchanges with standard gauge steam and interurban lines.

Car has working bottom gates, you can crank the handle on either side and gates lower/raise. Note that there is no air brakes on this car, which is why there is a hand wheel at each end to operate the brake for that truck.

Matt Dillow
MD Custom Models
 




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top