Weekly Photo Fun 12-11/12-17

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


Some shots of the progress on the T&GP machine shop. Started installing everything in the building this afternoon. Glad that I have been saving metal shavings/filings for a couple of weeks as there is lots of spots for them. Before any of the details were added the interior floor and lower walls were gone over with weathering powders.

Matt Dillow
MD Custom Models

The pin up girl on the wall is a nice touch. :)
 
I got word from the local railroad crew that two "special" moves would be made today. He said nothing more.

:eek: Looks like there's a GP60B in there! It's not running and lacks road numbers, must be going to the paint shop.
View attachment 16827

Right behind the GP60B I see a GN Boxcar. Rumor has it she's been forwarded from Canada.
View attachment 16828

I raced over to the west end of town to catch the train backing GN 200175, SP 694806 and WSOR 503119 into the cold storage warehouse.
View attachment 16829

I figured the GP60B was headed to the paint shop on the east end of town, so I raced back over there, hoping to have enough time to get on top of a large hill. I made it in time to see the crew backing the GP60B into the shop.
View attachment 16830

What a great show!:D
 


What can you do with an HO hand car frame and wheels. Why shave off the wheel flanges and add an deck made of O scale 2x6's and you have a push cart for the machine shop. Always have to be on the look out for what can be used "cross scale". If you look under the lathe in my next post the handles on the shavings catch pan started life as HOn3 coach seat arms.

Matt Dillow
MD Custom Models
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I know that GP60B is Santa Fe. That's the only road they were built for. As I remember there were 23.
BNSF as well. This one was a BNSF unit, got it from Rick just like this. All BNSF GP60B's are in H1 or New Image, so I'll get a full repaint before emergine from my shops as BNSF.
 
Got another corner finished (mostly) on the machine shop. Note the sink complete with a bar of soap and the rag hanging next to it from the exposed pipe. Even turned some "glass" bottles from Lucite rod using my hand drill and files, that technique sure takes me back. Note also the book on the workbench, it is a car builders text from the late 40's.

Matt Dillow
MD Custom Models
 
My weekly contribution-
Here's a bit of progress on my ever-lasting layout restoration, this time being on the ole merchant's row. I still have to finish the interiors, and the corner bakery will be getting a vitrolite front soon.

4187009848_cfb8f1c009.jpg


Getting that awning in place took almost an entire horrible day of battling gravity. It was quite a major victory when I finally got it right! Hopefully, I'll get that "neon" sign working soon.

And here's a view in proper context-

4187009424_895d8511fa.jpg
 


I managed to do a little railfanning over in Longhurst the other day, caught this AER car from Ontario crossing the Anishinaabe River onto BN track.
We followed it into Spencer Yard where it was handed off to the BN.
The last photo shows it on train SHF West, I'll try to get another photo when it heads out on the Spencer Huard Forwarder.
 
CharlesH I notice that the diner offers "curb service". That is one detail I do not see too many people putting on their diners. But there were a lot of places that did do that---nice little piece of history there:):) I like the way your buildings show-----:):)

Oztank Those houses look real good---how did you make the hedges? What is your new layout going to be?
 
Josh, nice train chasing. I don't know about those Canadian boxcars though, they always want duty or something for them. :)

Matt, I just keep looking at your pictures and trying to mentally calculate how long it would take me to do something remotely similar. If my math is right, I'd be about 103. :eek:

Charles, nice paint job and brickwork on the Merchant's Row. I added some awnings to mine also. I don't know what it is about those buildings but getting awnings to fit is a royal pain. I like the big canvas one on yours.

Oz, that's a terrific street scene, right down to the typical British sidewalks.

Rico, I have the feeling that AER car is going to be hung up in the yards for a bit until Christmas and the suspension of Rule G ends. :D
 
Rico, I have the feeling that AER car is going to be hung up in the yards for a bit until Christmas and the suspension of Rule G ends. :D
Heh, lol, fine with me. I need to get some track laid around the silo's so I have somewhere to shoot that car when it gets to me!

Most of the track in my shots this month is just atlas track laid down for the shoot.
 
I received these two Bachmann bobbers in the mail today. They look to be almost identical to the cabooses on my very first HO layout back in 1966, but they didn't have the crews on board.

PC150277.jpg
 
CharlesH I notice that the diner offers "curb service". That is one detail I do not see too many people putting on their diners. But there were a lot of places that did do that---nice little piece of history there:):) I like the way your buildings show-----:):)

Oztank Those houses look real good---how did you make the hedges? What is your new layout going to be?

Thanks Barry, I made the hedges out of green Scotchbrite kitchen scourers cut into strips soaked in PVA white glue and rolled in fine ground cover.

The new layout will have a rural Aussie theme but nowhere in particular, it is called "Dingo Ridge" supposedly a private railway set in the 1950s steam era, I would however like to transform the layout to run early American diesel loco's when the layout is nearing completion.
 
Jim: Not a problem to work fast when you drink a full strength Coke or two in the morning.

To give you an idea of what I do in a average day. In the morning I built the Como firehouse, small building with only a single door (tomorrow) but totally weathered wood which means that the clapboard siding on the front had to be hand laid from individual 1x6's. Rest of the building is pretty much easy.

Just before lunch I assembled the basic frame castings on the machine shop planner to get a better idea as to how I wanted to orient this piece in the building.

After lunch I started on the Debate's Motel, 50's era motel to go next to the Bate's mansion. This one was done in Evergreen clapboard so other then cutting off the back side at an angle to go against the backdrop was a simple structure. Ended working on it in mid afternoon when it was painted.

Next up was some time spent on details in the stock room on the T&GP machine shop. Mostly doing some more painting and then doing some placement on details.

Then after dinner worked some more on machine shop details, mostly building the shop heater out of a 55 gallon drum.

Lastly was building the foundation for the hoist tower for the Cranberry Iron Works.

I find that working on various projects during the day makes everything go faster as there is no waiting around for things to dry or glue to set. Plus your mind is always active. Ended up working about 10 1/2 hours today, wife had a dinner to attend at work so I worked into the evening longer then normal.

As an aside I am doing a build of a HO scale open topped water tank at the San Jancito train show on the 20th of February that will be built from scratch entirely during the 7 hours of the show.

Matt Dillow
MD Custom Models
 


Thanks for the compliments fellas.... now, any ideas for the backs, hehe?

oztank- Love that little scene. Very british.
 




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top