Weekly Photo Fun 12-11/12-17

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


Here comes Santa Claus here comes Santa Claus, riding on the Santa Claus train!!!!

P1060991.jpg


P1060994.jpg


MERRY CHRISTMAS
 
Jeffrey, that house was made by Pola a long time ago. I had one on my layout. I think it was like 1970 or so. I like the plywood load on the bulkhead flat.
Thanks. I was wondering about that. I already knew they were old by the way the doors and windows are made. The bulkhead flat is an Athearn offering. The load appears to be scratched from blocks of basswood that are scribed to appear to be stacks of plywood. The tie straps were drawn on. I did the tie downs myself with black thread.
 


The P&N management decided to buy that leased UP SW-1500. The boys at the shop painted out the UP stuff and Frank from the local sign company added the new lettering and even a little P&N loco. It being the Christmas season and all, Wilma, CEO Bubba's wife, ran over to the dollar store and got some of those big foil ribbons and made a real purty holiday bow for the front. The boys are looking on appreciatively at her work.

100_1747.jpg


It was soon time to get back to work though. Here's a side shot of the new scheme as a boxcar is shoved on to the downtown siding.

100_1748.jpg


The boxcar is one the P&N has never seen before, a QHS double door all the way from California. It's carrying cardboard boxes for the paint factory and looks like it's making its first trip cross country by how clean it looks. It'll have to wait for the 70 tonner to get through with its work and finishes taking it downtown, since the new big power is a little tight in the city traffic.

100_1749.jpg
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Some progress shots on the T&GP machine shop. Remaining walls on the addition are framed out. Front doors are finished, even though they have working hinges the "glass" only looks right from one side so I am going to fix them open. Some of the details that have yet to find a place on the piece.

And lastly a shot for Jim on the machine plates from yesterday. These are 1/35 scale pieces intended for detailing out WWII tanks. They are dry transfer and are a super easy one touch transfer. Only thing I have found with them is the carrier sheet is thick so each piece has to be cut out and held in place with tweezers as it is applied. The black/aluminum combination really looks great.

Matt Dillow
MD Custom Models
 
I really like your first image, Jim. The ballast colour is awesome, but the whole scene works very well for me.

-Crandell
 


Matt, so did you first paint an aluminum square and then apply the dry transfer? I would have thought they were actually diecast metal plates.

DJ, thanks. Got to dress up the old girl for Christmas. :)

Crandell, I'm glad you like the ballast, It's just good old cinders mixed with a bunch of WS ground foiliage to give that overgrown look. My experience is that railroad yards tend to get the least expensive ballast and short lines are lucky to have much ballast at all. I think I need to bury that yard lead in a little more ballast and weeds though. There's too much tie showing.

Chris, with the weather we've been having, no worries about overheating. You must be thinking about someplace that highs above 40. :D

Jeffrey, you've got a quite a collection of those old Pola houses now. Because they are so relatively undersized, you can make a real compact residential area. Someone plowed into your mailbox though. :eek:

SW, missed your picture. That's a nice, busy scene you have there.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Jim; The dry transfers are printed with both the aluminum and black colors, they make it way too easy. Their aluminum color does look very much like metal but is is part of the transfer.

Matt Dillow
MD Custom Models
 
Some shots of the progress on the T&GP machine shop. Started installing everything in the building this afternoon. Glad that I have been saving metal shavings/filings for a couple of weeks as there is lots of spots for them. Before any of the details were added the interior floor and lower walls were gone over with weathering powders.

Matt Dillow
MD Custom Models
 
Also a fun shot showing some of the "rags" drying. These are small sections of toilet tissue soaked in diluted glue. Once dry they will be painted a tan/white color and brushed with weathering for dirty rags. Note that some of them are draped over the side of the miter box and some pushed up against the wall to get various looks.

Matt Dillow
MD Custom Models
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Glen, nice looking shot of the old C-Liner on the mixed.

Matt, sure, easy for you. :) Those metal shavings and drying rags are going to add some amazing details.

Smiley, I love the BART logo on the old Athearn passenger car. I think sometimes that's what BART actually bought and just slapped some new sheet metal on them. :)
 


Smiley, I love the BART logo on the old Athearn passenger car. I think sometimes that's what BART actually bought and just slapped some new sheet metal on them. :)

On a BART customer complaint forum someone once posted the following: BART's slogan should be "We make so much noise we must be going fast".
 




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top