Weekly Photo Fun 1-8/1-14

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


found my old Teen Association of Model Railroaders 50ft box car. few notes on the car, the car was designed my myself and the model railway post office. The Build date 2-64 was when the association was formed. The car number 2001 was the year the car was printed. The logo is of Rio Grande 554, though the real locomotive was never painted in that style.

763423279_uKqqo-L.jpg

763423132_UpQsB-L.jpg

763422999_2WC8X-L.jpg
 
Tom that is to cool!! Care to post a little how-to? :D It looks like a combination of HO details and real pictures cut to fit?

The only details are the Wiking forklift and the pallet with WW2 sandbags painted white then wrapped in saran wrap

The 'how to' wouldn't be that big since I'm blunt ;)

The background was built from a 3.5"L X 3"H X 2" depth room added in, the back wall is made out of card stock (that is taped in) and the picture (plain white paper) I glued on, that way I can change the backdrop picture

Tom - That is some fantastic inside detail, are those pictures?

Yes, a picture printed on plain white paper with default settings


Here's another backdrop picture, I kind of like this one better, and I put a light inside to see how it would look

WarehouseSkin2.jpg


WarehouseSkin2atnight.jpg
 


A couple of shots of the first stage of the Cranberry Iron Works installed at the clients layout. In the second shot you are standing in the french doors which led from his den into his layout room. Cranberry is the first thing you see which is why I chose to model it on a diagonal instead of parallel to the back wall.

Matt Dillow
MD Custom Models
 


Yep, everything on my car is original except the couplers. I don't have any extra 50' frames on hand so I'll have to wait until one of the RTR's heads for the scrapline. :D
 
Two BB 42' Chemical tank cars. Can you spot the differences in these two?
DSCF4049.jpg

Yes. The belly of the car on the right is the same color as the rest of the tank. I've done that to several of my Athearn BB tankers also. Right or wrong it just looks better to me.
 



Just wondering what brand and colour of ballast you are using on your mainline and yard? You and Grampystrains have a very similar look to the finished colour that I like.

I am about to use Woodland Scenics Medium Gray and Medium Cinders (Black), but find that the Black cinders look to dark and uniform when applied and the Grey looks to light. Are you guys hitting the ballast with an air brush after it dries or are you guys using weathering powders? I have been unable to find the colour in between Gray and Black in a ready mixed ballast that is so familiar in many railroad yards in models and prototypes.
 




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top