Weekly Photo Fun 1-8/1-14

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


Do you use stain or paint?

Boards are plastic (molded into the kit) and are painted as follows.

I decided to use black as the basic color of the car (Black and Mineral Red/Boxcar Red were the 2 most common colors for the cars). After the car was dry I brushed on Earth Color using a fine (0/10) brush. When that has completely dried, I started with Roof Brown and painted individual boards skipping several randomly (sometime only one or two and other times 4, 5, or even 6). Then I add a drop of a light gray (reefer gray I think) to the small amount of Roof Brown I was using to give a slightly lighter color. Used that for a bunch more random boards. Again lighten the paint with another drop or two of the gray. Repeat process.... I ended up using about 4 different shades to complete the painting of the boards. After the car is completely dry, use a small piece of coarse (60 grit I think) sandpaper to scratch lightly to show some of the back and even a bit of the original gray plastic. Whalla! Car is ready to decal!
 


1970's era Atlas GP40
PA280110.jpg
 
Taken with my blackberry tour.
IMG00083-20100111-1618.png

Unnamed.png

Anything not white plastic i've added myself. Handrails, what a PITA!!!!

The trucks are just for show right now but do fit the chassis.
 
Final shots of Ellington's Mercantile (aka Allen's Grocery) before it is packed up for shipment. This was a built piece in terrible shape that a client sent to me for reworking.

Matt Dillow
MD Custom Models
 
And a couple of progress shots of the Cranberry Iron Works hoist tower in Sn3. The lattice work is photo-etched brass from Special Shapes which is no longer in production (called nearly 100 hobby shops across the country to locate the 16 packages that were needed for this tower). I like this product as the lacing is much smaller then the HO scale Central Valley girders, which I guess I will have to use in the future.

Also a shot of the drill bit stand that I did for the machine shop, looked around and there was no good place to "store" drill bits when not in use so a bit of scrap and some broken drill bits and another detail. Yes that is a "C" clamp on a nail hanging on the right side too.

Matt Dillow
MD Custom Models
 


Chris:

Yes I have been a full time custom builder for the past 4 years now, 7 years before that part time. Shop is in a 16x36 building in back of the house which at one time housed my HO layout. I work 8-10 hours per day on projects, 6 days a week.

Matt Dillow
MD Custom Models
 
Tom - That is some fantastic inside detail, are those pictures?

Jeffrey - Fantastic weathering, did you do the work yourself?

Matt - Amazing work as always.
 


Got this for a Christmas gift. Finished it last night and it will be another background building for the new area I am still working on.

Added 2 small vents to the right side of the main roof and replaced the arch window under the peak with a vent grille. I also added a fire escape to the left side wall just to add interest and break up the flat look a little. Brick mortar and weathering also done.

picture.php


picture.php
 




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top