WeekendPhotoFun Jan 11 12 13

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


Selector, the "old timey" look is great. :cool:




I don't have much new ground to cover on our layout, but we do have plans to reshoot most of our photos. In the past, the backdrop sky never photograped well. It was always to dull.

The weather Thursday was lousy and we were locked in all day... Guess what? We got a new "sky"... It's far from perfect (I'm no painter), but it does have more color now. ;)

CB&Q fights gravity in the Platte Canyon mining district.
IMG_9519.JPG


This is a retake (not the final one...) of an old scene. Cops take a look at a recently vandalized sign while enjoying coffee and dougnuts (sorry Jim :D ) as a Grande coal train passes by.
IMG_9510.JPG


CB&Q train on the approach to Colorado Fuel and Iron Mine #4.
IMG_9524.JPG
 
Great shots everyone. Most of my shot so far have come out with that slight orangish tone. I think it might be the lighting in the layout room so I'll have to try to work on that. In the mean time I thought I'd share some pictures of when my family went camping in the Rock mountains in 1988. These pictures were taken Just west of Canadian Pacific's famous spiral tunnels on what is called Field hill:

FieldhillCPRJuly1988003.png


I belive it's a 2.2% grade down to the town of Field, British Columbia. The dynamic brakes of these SD-40's were working hard:

FieldhillCPRJuly1988001.png


As were the rest of the train's Brakes. Brake smoke anyone?

FieldhillCPRJuly1988002.png


We were hiking up to the rail line and discouvered this:

FieldHillabandonedsteamer001.png


It's the boiler and tender of an old narrow gauge engine that the CPR used in building the spiral tunnel project. the story goes that the engine was so worn out at the completion that it was stripped of all unable parts and left here.
 


Nice looking bumpers ya got there, Steve.

I think you're the first (and probably last) guy I've ever told that... :D :D :D
 
Grandeman, your ballast is probably the most realistic I have seen anywhere. Would you tell me what it is?

Steve, I like your bumpers....very cool.

Jeff, how is your 2-10-2 working for you? It looks like a nice model.

-Crandell
 
Shoot, I came into this too late to even remember most of the pictures but they are especially good this weekend.

Glen and Tom, I really enjoyed those older pictures you posted. I like seeing new prototype shots too but it's nice to see some shots that remind me of the old days.

Eric, I think the backdrop looks pretty good to me. I always forget about that cream Burlington F unit scheme until I see one again. BTW, It looked to me like those cops were eating whole wheat bagels and drinking decaf latte's. :)

John, now that you're addicted to LED's, what about those stores? Don't they need some signs? Maybe even animated signs? They'd look really cool on your layout. I know a dealer that can you get your drug.....err...signs. :)

Steve, your bumpers are both exceptionally nice and very beefy looking. You are the envy of all of us here. :D

Here's my contribution to the lot. The first is a category I call "Things that could happen on a prototype but you'll never actually see'. A GM&O GP38-2, a GM&O 40' box car, and a GM&O wide vision caboose. The amazing part is that they are all CLEAN, something you'd never see on the real GM&O unless they were new from the builder in the last hour or so. They are en route to the secret GM&O weathering facility, where teams will throws dirt all over the equipment while other members of the team add peeling paint and rust. :)

CleanGMOMedium.jpg


Next, the UP is delivering a brand new set of Bethgon hoppers to the NS for service.

BethgonsMedium.jpg


Finally, there's a new face in Hillside. The P&N 70 tonner has busted another piston and CEO Billy Ray has been forced to borrow a CSX GP-35 to pick up some carbon black hoppers from the paint factory. The Geep is a little bigger than what drivers downtown are used to encountering so Officer Mike thought it would be a good idea to give the move a police escort. You can see that the approaching traffic is more than a little confused about where they're supposed to go to avoid getting squashed by the big engine.

GP35onMainStMedium.jpg
 


Great shots guys!!

Just an FYI to johntealon: There are some pretty cool LED colour combos available. I picked up some three-colour surface mounters for a different project - they are blue/red/green. They are a pain to solder! What's cool is if you get the current balance just right on all three you get white! And if you wanted to get a warmer white colour, just reduce the current slightly to the green/blue. Got mine from Digikey.

Mark
 
Jeffrey, we were posting at the same time. That color scheme looks really good on that ex-CN engine. Did you do that with the same rattle cans you used on your passengers cars? Looks like it's coming out pretty darn nice. I like the engine number too...Bond...James Bond. :)
 
Jeffrey, we were posting at the same time. That color scheme looks really good on that ex-CN engine. Did you do that with the same rattle cans you used on your passengers cars? Looks like it's coming out pretty darn nice. I like the engine number too...Bond...James Bond. :)
No rattle cans used there except for the Matte-Finish. All the rest was brushed on free-hand. I used an old cheap water-color brush (get them 30 for a couple of bucks at Wal-Mart) and Testor's acrylic (water based) paints.
 
Jeff, how is your 2-10-2 working for you? It looks like a nice model.

-Crandell
It's working great. The valve gear action is very smooth, it's very quiet and runs like a Swiss watch. Wasn't a snap to paint it though. There's 5,000 pieces to get under, over and behind. It probably would've been easier to take them off and paiint separately but I didn't feel like doing that.
 
Josh,

I like your work and the fact that you live in San Diego, my home town (sort of--Escondido)

I was just spending my day doing some research on the NP. Looking to build a layout of the Mullan Pass some day and I want to have some NP engines for retro moments.

Here check out my Bachmann Dash 8-40cw
Very nice work! That NP engine I did was for a member of another forum. One of the most interesting scheme's I've done in a while.

Been working on the tourist train last night and this morning and it's almost ready. Here's some pics.
Something tells me someone likes James Bond?

My wife tells me I've got enough vehicles. Of course, that was at least 10 vehicles back....
You can never have TOO many, unless your layout looks like a parking lot with trains running around it. I see you have some of the Kinsmart Dodge trucks, where'd you get yours?
 
Great pictures from everyone as usual. to many to comment on !!!!! Jim I look forward to the stories that go with your pictures every week.

Like the 007 steamer "The names Wimberly .... Jeffery Wimberly!" :)

What make are your Bumpers Steve ?? If thats not o personal a question ?! :)

Grande Man will the patrol officer catch whoever has been taking pot shots at the sign ?

Ive spent the evening Trucking


GSG.jpg


GSG1.jpg


GSG2.jpg


GSG3.jpg


Enjoyed that 2 hours of modelling ;D Added mudflaps, reg plates, coils, spare wheel, folded taup, arial and logo

John
RJR
 
Josh,
The Dodge trucks were acquired at a couple of train meets fairly recently. I think one was in Rainer, OR, and the other was in Vancouver, WA.
Got a good price (something like 3/$5) on the the last three.
 
Josh,
The Dodge trucks were acquired at a couple of train meets fairly recently. I think one was in Rainer, OR, and the other was in Vancouver, WA.
Got a good price (something like 3/$5) on the the last three.
Darn, I knew there might have been a reason to shell out the $10 for the WGH show today. Oh well, car suspension was more important.
 


Only if you want to get around... theres always public Transportation!! lol Come on man, where are your priorities??/ Sheesh!

j/k

Great Photos and progress as always everybody!! Definatly got some top notch modelers on here. Puts my work to shame!!

Jeff - youve got some great shots on your website too!
 




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top