Weekend Photofun Dec 7th to Dec 9th

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


Paul, nice work on the Boeing cars, looking forward to completed job.

Jim, your right about that handrail, been afraid to move it, but tried just now and both came off no problem. I think they need to be moved down just a bit, even with top of radiator cowl, should look better then.

Great work everybody
 
Paul, your worked on Nimrod parts? What an amazing airplane, very much like our Lockheed Electra. Commercial flops because of untimely accidents but have provided sterling military service for 40 or so years now, the Electra as the P-3 Orion.

Wilson, that's the problem and I didn't pick up on it. Athearn used three projection on the side of the hood to mount the hand rails. Those projections are actually lifting eyes. The correct mounting location is just above the hood doors, with just enough clearance for the doors to open. It would be good if you can find a thinner wire for replacment also since the BB Athearn handrails were grossly oversized. That will be a great looking engine with the handrails relocated.

Ken, great start on an unusual prototype.

John, thanks, I'm a better storyteller than modeller. :)

Steve, those were some great shots. That quarry is really impressive, especially those floodlight towers. Any idea how they were done? I showed my wife the pictures of the female engineers and she nixed that idea pretty fast. :D
 
Last edited by a moderator:


Inspired by Jims Christmas Decorations. The locals have put the tree up.

My 9 year old daughter donated the beads and did the decorating.

christmastree.jpg


Anyone else got into the festive mood yet ???

Steve, thanks for posting the wigan show pics, I really wanted to go but just to many things going on.

John
RJR
 
In between taxi driving kids between various sports and activities I planted a fir wood, grassed the meadow and ballasted the viaduct !!! Lots of 15 min modelling !

firwood.jpg


firwood1.jpg


firwood2.jpg


viaduct3.jpg


viaduct2.jpg


John
RJR
 
Paul, your worked on Nimrod parts? What an amazing airplane, very much like our Lockheed Electra. Commercial flops because of untimely accidents but have provided sterling military service for 40 or so years now, the Electra as the P-3 Orion.

....

I showed my wife the pictures of the female engineers and she nixed that idea pretty fast. :D

I didn't work on real airplanes, just this one model, that was John from Oldham, UK.

That last photo of the engineers should probably have a NSFW label!

John I have enjoyed watching the viaduct come together.

UP2CSX, I like those street scenes. When I build some more modules I want to make some similiar street running.

okrlroads, I like the weathering on the switcher. My latest philosophy on weathering is that if you notice it right off, it is too much. You got it right in my opinion.

This is my favorite thread of the week! Thanks all!
 
Jim the light towers were brass with itty bitty 12V bulbs, very well built they were.

John thats great progress your making
 
Well the paint shop guys have come off of strike finally to get some work done. They got the first coat on the new fleet of Geeps. After another coat of Tuscan Red, the roofs and top of the noses will get a coat of black.

100_1140.jpg


Finished up the F-7 consist. It'll stay glossy and clean (it's the business and excursion train).

100_1141.jpg


100_1142.jpg
 
Last edited by a moderator:


I need to get a better place to take pictuers other then my dining room table or computer table.

But I got another athearn RTR NYSW tunnel motor for my BDay today.
So far I have 3010,3012, working on 3014 snoot nose and maybe i'll pickup 3016 tomorrow and i'll have the whole fleet. But no place to run them :(

Anyway here's 3010 and 3012 elephant style working WS-X work train out of little ferry with former southern gondola and PRR 250 ton crane still wearing its original PRR yellow.(crane still works too :D )
3010and3012worktrain.png
 
Well, I did a great job of directing my comments to almost all the wrong people this time. I blame old age. :) UK John, the Nimrod comments were directed at you. I've always thought it was cool aircraft especially to be rescued from near obscurity for such prolonged military service.

Ken, it was Paul Mack that I was complimenting for the beginnings of the Boeing flat car model. I'm sure I'd be complimenting your if you had posted a photo also.

Steve, at least I got you right with those scantily clad female engineers. :D

Now, let me try again. John, it's about time someone else had a Christmas tree. C'mon you, guys, let's show some Christmas spirit to our little people. I'll say one thing, John, you are the fastest forester I've ever seen. Also, that viaduct really does look like a nice, old concrete viaduct now.

Jerome, a custom A-B-B-B-A set for your railroad! Now that shows some class...and very nice modeling as well

NYSW, build a little diorama with just some track, a few trees, and a sky backdrop. If you do this on some 2" foam, it will be light enough and strong enough to haul it outside and take some pics in natural light. I'm sure those models will look even better closer up and with the sun shining on them.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
John, what a difference on that viaduct from the first time you posted a picture of it. Those pictures would make the cut for me anytime compared to my usual mediocre work.

Speaking of my work and Christmas, here is one of the continuing construction work on First Ave, that goes on night and day even during the holidays now since they've taken about two months to find the busted pipe and they still don't have it fixed. At least the guys at the fire station have a few Christmas lights up since the construction hasn't managed to cut the power lines...yet. :)

FirstAveChristmasnightMedium.jpg
 
Here is my late Sunday evening small contribution to my favorite thread. Great work everyone (as usual).

The boys at Thompson Tile are busy working on the wood pile for the kilns:

Woodspliting1w.png


I have almost finished the new stone retaining wall down the hill from Thompson Tile:

WallReconstruction6w.png


An overview of the area:

WallReconstruction7w.png
 
John T. - your layout keeps looking better every week (wish I could say the same about mine, oh well...)

Bob B. - Great "mood" shot of the loco shed!

"R." - Excellent detail work on the SW7

Ron - That catenary repair car is a jewell, did you enter it in an AP contest? Seems like just the sort of car that would win a Merit Award!

Crandell - Are those hostlers standing by for an inspection of the roundhouse by the Corporate Brass? :D

Jim - Your town looks great at dusk [and at night too, I just found your 2nd photo]!

Paul - that Boeing specialty flatcar is lookin' good, can't wait to see the end product.

Steve, those guys at the modular club sure have a knack for realism (could be some safety issues on that logging engine though LOL!)

Jerome, your private fleet is really taking shape! I also noticed [for the first time] the unusual light configuration on the noses of your GP60's - will they be operational?

NYSW - I 'second' Jim's idea for you to make a small diorama. You could even make it a part of your future layout!

Ray - your yard throat is coming together quite nicely!

I'll have a few of my own to post here shortly. I finally got the decals onto the PS2's I've been working on over the past 3 weeks; but they're not the sort of models that I'd enter in a detailing contest, my camera brutally exposed the flaws that I can normally 'squint away' when I view them in person. Fact is, they've always been intended to serve as background 'filler' rolling stock for switching my future cement plant. (I've pre-ordered 2 of the Athearn PS2 2600cuft models that are due in February '08, those will be the ones to appear in any close-up shots.)

[LATER EDIT:] Well, here they are! Not contest winners by anyone's stretch of the imagination, but they'll help to fill-out my cement trains. I was amazed at how many subtle differences there are among the prototypes of each of these cars. (I'll tackle the weathering later...)

First, here's #220484:
model_PS2_220484.jpg


Proto: http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=103800


225640:
model_PS2_225640.jpg


Proto: http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=217656


225589:
model_PS2_225589.jpg


Proto: http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=848747


225784:
model_PS2_225784.jpg


Proto: http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=918880

All of them coupled together, this shows how unique each car is, especially in the size and positioning of the 'CSX' logo letters:
four_PS2s_unweathered.jpg
 
Last edited by a moderator:
NYSW - I 'second' Jim's idea for you to make a small diorama. You could even make it a part of your future layout!
Hehehe, im pulling out my old 4x4 table top tomorrow, getting some of those table top legs that firetacoma got, beef up the underside support, get some foam and off to hudson shores hobby or model railway post office for some flex track and turnouts. When thats all done i'll just need to figure out how im going to power it all up :D I need to dig around for my old black power pack/throttle thingy.
 
Great work everybody. Getting late Sunday, thought I'd post finishup pics of switcher. Made new hood handrails and moved them down, Thanks Jim, good idea on them.

PIC_0084.jpg


PIC_0095.jpg
 


Much, much better, Richard. Those BB SW-7's always had that flaw in the handrail placement but it really stands out in the blue and yellow AT&SF scheme. Now it looks perfect.

Uh oh, NYSW, it sounds like you're on you're way to building a layout instead of a diorama. Nothing wrong with that but you'll find out how many trips it takes to the hobby shop before you've got everything you need. :)

Thank you, Ken, I like my little town. Go ahead and post away, nothing could look worse than some of the stuff I've done. :D

Ray, I like that wood rick, very realistic. It must have taken that one poor guy with the axe some time to chop all those little logs. :) The retaining walls look good too. Hard to tell there were ever any joints in it.
 




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top