ModelRailroadForums.com is a free
Model Railroad Discussion Forum and
photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.
I've built two N Scale layouts during my 40+ years as a model railroader. Both of those were built in the 80's, one in 85 and the other in 88. I didn't keep up with it for three reasons. #1 there's very low availability of N Scale components here. #2 My vision is not what it once was. #3 I have no feeling in my hands so handling small objects is difficult. I have plenty of trouble handling the small detail parts for HO. I like the heft and look of O Scale but lack the space for a reasonable layout, so for the last twenty years I've modeled exclusively in HO. All I have left from my N Scale days are two locomotives (Bachmann F9 and Life-Like (P2K) SD7), a few pieces of rolling stock and the odd bit of track here and there.
Here's a basic animation of what the GP40X looks like when the beacon is on and flashing.
Yesterday I rebuilt two hoppers which were evidently made by Bachmann some time ago. Both had originally been fitted with Talgo trucks though when I recieved them there were no trucks present. As this was expected that wasn't a problem. What did make things interesting was that one car used screws to hold the trucks on while the other car used pop-in trucks. On that car I simply replaced the frame with one that used screws. I installed Bachmann trucks on both cars and body mounted Kadee #5 couplers. Here are photos of both cars:
I was working on a caboose today. This is how it looked after I fitted it with a new frame, Athearn trucks, nickel-silver wheels and Kadee #5 couplers.
All I found on the old frame was 'Made in Slovenia', so I really have no idea what company made it.
After it made a trip through the paint shop it looks like this:
I also rebuilt another LS&W hopper today.
Jeffrey, it's Mehano if it's made in Slovenia. May have been sold under the AHM name before Mehano went out on their own. Looks like you're going to have to fabricate a smokejack for it or get one from the parts box.
Thanks Jim, that's what I thought. The design looks 1980ish when compared to Athearn and Bachmann. I should be able to make a stack from a piece of wire.
Of the six car bodies that were sent to me, I've rebuilt 1 caboose, 3 hoppers and 2 gondolas. That's all six. The gondolas, unlike the other cars, are fitted with Talgo trucks. When I get suitable frames for them they will receive new trucks and body mounted couplers. For now, this is how they look:
I'm getting ready to do some plaster work here. The area you see in the photo will be filled in with plaster. After the plaster is dry the green clay will be removed, leaving the stone wall as the front of that section.
Got home early this week and got a couple new locomotives.
This UP 4-8-2 is a Paragon series from Broadway limited.
and also from Broadway limited my Second AC6000
I got the initial plaster pour done on the new section. Once it's sealed with shellac it'll all blend in with the wall color.
Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website
(Learn More Here)